ImageImage

Stotts: An ultimatum? Pg2 update: Stotts extended

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Stotts: An ultimatum? Pg2 update: Stotts extended 

Post#1 » by PDXKnight » Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 pm

I don’t know how true the wiretap is but if Stotts is truly giving Portland an ultimatum should we dish the money or look into other options here?
acidfrehley
Sophomore
And1: 176

Re: Stotts: An ultimatum? 

Post#2 » by acidfrehley » Tue May 21, 2019 4:29 pm

Keep Stotts no matter what.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#3 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue May 21, 2019 4:40 pm

i really dont care what happens with him, but theres no doubt they will keep him
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#4 » by Epicurus » Tue May 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I doubt if Stotts is giving an ultimatum. Rather I see it as a if you don't want me next year or beyond, tell me now while a few jobs are open. Last year he got stung by the FO (probably not the gm, but higher ups) with the rumors of being dismissed but no action being taken by the FO (re. affirming or rejecting the rumors), while alternative jobs dried up. I think he is proud of the job he and the staff did since the Flight of the Starters and is perplexed regarding the Front Office (not the gm). Whether he remains in Portland or coaches elsewhere, I doubt if he wants to coach beyond one more four year term. His dad died in his early 60s and he may wish to spend his nest egg (no kids to inherit) enjoying the last chapter.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#5 » by Wizenheimer » Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 pm

I've never been a Stotts hater...kind of 7 years of ambivalence. But it's time for a change in my view. He's not a Popovich or a Jerry Sloan. He only has a .357 career winning percentage in the playoffs, and only .373 in Portland. That's not close to good enough. And he's 1-12 against the Warriors over 3 playoff series; and the one win came when Curry wasn't playing. If he was 5-11 or 6-11, that would be one thing, but 1-11 sucks

I also think, after 7 years, it's past time to take any Blazers that remain with the team out of the comfort zones they've established with Stotts. I think that's especially true for Dame and CJ. I think it's time for a coach that asks for more discipline and less hero ball. Changes can force players away from bad habits

if it's true he's demanding a contract extension or else, the Blazers should definitely take what's behind the 'or else' door

but, I'm guessing, if Olshey is still in charge, Stotts will get his extension
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#6 » by Epicurus » Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Given a certain poster's continuous criticism of the Blazer player personnel and he who put it together, some quite on target, it is surprising the same poster bemoans a .373 playoff winning percentage. Given his personnel criticisms, one would think that poster would be even more shocked that the Blazers since the Flight of the Starters have not dwelt outside the playoffs. I guess he believes that others can make even sweeter lemonade out of so many lemons.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#7 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 21, 2019 5:05 pm

I was quite content with the way he coached up until the GSW series. His initial philosophy on guarding the PNR was just putrid.

But my main issue is, as Wiz said, he is too willing to allow hero ball to rule the day. We have really poor off ball movement for the most part. CJ is literally built to be a off ball scorer, coming off screens and such, but we rarely implement that.

If there is a quality candidate, I would move on. But we are coming off a WCF, the teams star loves him and the alternative options may be slim to none. I have reservations, but the risk in replacement is just too high. I hope we keep him and fire him next year if the team doesn't take the next step.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#8 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 21, 2019 5:07 pm

I don't really believe in the "grass is always greener" approach, nor that the Blazers should start "pushing players out of their comfort zones", particularly with so many guys in contract years. The last thing the Blazers should do is to piss off their franchise cornerstones by letting a coach go over a salary dispute. Particularly considering coaches are fairly easy to replace even after they get an extensions.

So yeah, give him the deal, he's a good coach and the Blazers could do much worse. Had someone like Budinholzer been available this summer, then maybe you look at swinging big, but I don't see any coach available (off the top of my head) that would be an upgrade over Stotts.

Give Terry a 3 year extension. If you need to make a coaching change next year, you still can. Locking coaches into contracts is not the same as players.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#9 » by Fitz303 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:11 pm

I like Stotts, but I'm with Wiz here. Watching what the Warriors do off the ball vs what the Blazers do off the ball is infuriating. I'm not upset that the Blazers lost to the Warriors. They are the best team in the league, no doubt. But what they do with ball movement has nothing to do with skill. That's scheme and effort. Great teams (minus LeBron) have great ball movement. Who was the last non-LeBron team to win a championship that didn't have great ball movement and off the ball movement?

Maybe a new voice and new system will be just what this team needs. I REALLY wanted to them to get Budenholzer last year, but That's no longer an option. But he's the perfect example of how just a changed system/voice, and tweaks to the roster can completely transform a team from 4-5 seed to 1 seed.

I doubt it happens, but I'm all for a change in coaching direction. This all isn't even including our defensive scheme....
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,521

Post#10 » by zzaj » Tue May 21, 2019 5:13 pm

If Stotts asked for a raise after getting to the WCF then he should have been amenable to a dock in pay after getting swept last year and failing to figure out any adjustments in 4 games, lol...I wouldn't mind a change if it comes to that. I suppose of those that were available, I would have liked Monty Williams...but that ship has sailed.

In years past I've been critical of Stotts' "trust your players" approach and his lack of action on the defensive end. I think his Xs and Os are pretty overrated. He's had A LOT of continuity so the question really is--how much did his personnel account for wins when the team was depleted. Was it Lillard willing the team to wins or was it Xs and Os? Was it Nurkic's presence that suddenly made the team consistently above average on defense or was it Xs and Os? Stotts seems to get a lot of credit for the team "overachieving" and I'm just not sure that should be the case.

I'll be honest, I think the Blazers could have had a lesser coach all of these years and still done well. Still, the team seems to trust him and I suppose that's worth quite a bit.

I'm frustrated with Stotts seeming lack of adjustments in the GS series. When the 3rd quarter blitz in game 2 was underway, the team looked completely without a rudder. Players seemed to be looking for guidance on what they should do to adjust. And there was zero adjustment. The fact that Stotts got testy when confronted about his defensive scheme in the postgame was really telling to me. I do wonder since games 3 and 4 were, outside of minor adjustments, just basically a rinse and repeat of game 2, if Stotts may have lost the ear of his players a little bit...
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#11 » by Khazim » Tue May 21, 2019 5:57 pm

If you're extending Lillard, extend Stotts. Those two are tied at the hip, and I see no reason to try to change that. Let them ride together and be the face of this generation of the Blazers. We just had a hell of a season, and whether championship is in the cards or not next season should be a great ride as well.

Once Liilard is past his prime, you then look to make a change and bring in some fresh blood to lead Simons and co. for the next generation, hopefully bringing the same mentality and culture that has made this iteration both successful and quite enjoyable.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#12 » by PDXKnight » Tue May 21, 2019 6:29 pm

Khazim wrote:If you're extending Lillard, extend Stotts. Those two are tied at the hip, and I see no reason to try to change that. Let them ride together and be the face of this generation of the Blazers. We just had a hell of a season, and whether championship is in the cards or not next season should be a great ride as well.

Once Liilard is past his prime, you then look to make a change and bring in some fresh blood to lead Simons and co. for the next generation, hopefully bringing the same mentality and culture that has made this iteration both successful and quite enjoyable.

Just to play devils advocate for the sake of discussion: once Lillard is extended he is being paid to play basketball regardless of who the coach is.

Wouldn’t having Lillard locked down be the time to make some moves if there ever was a time?

I’m not proposing we do this I just think it’s good to consider the flip side to things when weighing options
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#13 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue May 21, 2019 6:37 pm

If the organization has identified someone available who is an upgrade go for it.

Stotts is on the better end of coaches though. Too good to make a change simply for the sake of making a change.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#14 » by Wizenheimer » Tue May 21, 2019 6:48 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:If the organization has identified someone available who is an upgrade go for it.

Stotts is on the better end of coaches though. Too good to make a change simply for the sake of making a change.

that's not the full context of what is being discussed. There is a report saying Stotts is essentially demanding an extension past the 1 year left on his deal or he'll resign

that's Stotts forcing the issue, not Portland making a change for the sake of change
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#15 » by bigdavid » Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Stotts is very stubborn. When the game starts to go bad he is too slow to make adjustments. He continued to start Aminu even though he was stinking up the court. He played curry against his brother hoping for a family miracle. Didn't happen. When Lillard was struggling with 3 pt shots Stotts left him throw up 3 after 3 even after not going in. Lillard sometimes had 3 guys on him,
someone must have been unguarded,

Stotts is loved by his players because he lets them try to be heroes and makes no changes.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#16 » by JasonStern » Tue May 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:it's time for a change in my view. He's not a Popovich or a Jerry Sloan. He only has a .357 career winning percentage in the playoffs, and only .373 in Portland. That's not close to good enough. And he's 1-12 against the Warriors over 3 playoff series; and the one win came when Curry wasn't playing. If he was 5-11 or 6-11, that would be one thing, but 1-11 sucks

didn't you just get done posting what a terrible job Olshey has done with respect to surrounding Dame with talent? it seems like if the roster is flawed, the expectations for the coach shouldn't be to take down a team with six all-stars making its fifth consecutive finals appearance.

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:If the organization has identified someone available who is an upgrade go for it.

+1 on this. you don't make a coaching change unless you have an upgrade lined up. that's how you wind up with 3 1/2 seasons of Mo Cheeks.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#17 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue May 21, 2019 7:22 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

that's not the full context of what is being discussed. There is a report saying Stotts is essentially demanding an extension past the 1 year left on his deal or he'll resign

that's Stotts forcing the issue, not Portland making a change for the sake of change

The only way Stotts resigns if he knows he has another equally good opportunity, some back-channel telling him "you should quit and come work for us". Otherwise head coaching jobs are too coveted to walk away from a year early out of spite.

Anyways my expressed opinion is that Stotts is on the upper end of coaches so without a better alternative you are by default choosing a (potentially) worse alternative. Not staying the course is choosing something different.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,843

Post#18 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 pm

It does not matter what Stotts wants but is he the coach that Dame wants?
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#19 » by Epicurus » Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

The only way Stotts resigns if he knows he has another equally good opportunity, some back-channel telling him "you should quit and come work for us". Otherwise head coaching jobs are too coveted to walk away from a year early out of spite.

Anyways my expressed opinion is that Stotts is on the upper end of coaches so without a better alternative you are by default choosing a (potentially) worse alternative. Not staying the course is choosing something different.
The Blazers hold the option for next season. If they use it, then Stotts must coach the Blazers or sit out the year no matter if other teams should want him. Obviously if they reject the option, then he is a free agent for next season. We will know in a few days.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#20 » by d-train » Tue May 21, 2019 8:12 pm

I believe in contracts. When you sign one, you honor the terms. If Blazers have an option, they have an option. If Stotts wants to bargain, he should wait until he has something to bargain with. He has nothing to offer when he's already under contract, especially if Blazers are uncertain of their desire to employ Stotts beyond his current contract. Blazers uncertainty of the future is no excuse for Stotts to not honor his contract. Blazers option is part of the deal they already paid for. If Stotts wants Blazers to give up their option, he should get out his checkbook and ask Blazers how much.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers