d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Stotts: An ultimatum? 

Post#21 » by d-train » Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 pm

Epicurus wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
that's not the full context of what is being discussed. There is a report saying Stotts is essentially demanding an extension past the 1 year left on his deal or he'll resign

that's Stotts forcing the issue, not Portland making a change for the sake of change

The only way Stotts resigns if he knows he has another equally good opportunity, some back-channel telling him "you should quit and come work for us". Otherwise head coaching jobs are too coveted to walk away from a year early out of spite.

Anyways my expressed opinion is that Stotts is on the upper end of coaches so without a better alternative you are by default choosing a (potentially) worse alternative. Not staying the course is choosing something different.
The Blazers hold the option for next season. If they use it, then Stotts must coach the Blazers or sit out the year no matter if other teams should want him. Obviously if they reject the option, then he is a free agent for next season. We will know in a few days.

More than that, if Blazers exercise their option, Stotts can't sign another coaching deal until he honors his obligation in time or other compensation that satisfies Blazers or a court of law.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#22 » by Epicurus » Tue May 21, 2019 8:19 pm

d-train wrote:I believe in contracts. When you sign one, you honor the terms. If Blazers have an option, they have an option. If Stotts wants to bargain, he should wait until he has something to bargain with. He has nothing to offer when he's already under contract, especially if Blazers are uncertain of their desire to employ Stotts beyond his current contract. Blazers uncertainty of the future is no excuse for Stotts to not honor his contract. Blazers option is part of the deal they already paid for. If Stotts wants Blazers to give up their option, he should get out his checkbook and ask Blazers how much.
An that is why this ultimatum narrative is probably blarney.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#23 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Read on Twitter

sigh
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#24 » by Malapropism » Tue May 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#25 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Malapropism wrote:****

ditto
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#26 » by Fitz303 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pm

Welp... There's that
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: Stotts: An ultimatum? Pg2 update: Stotts extended 

Post#27 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue May 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Well that sure didnt take long.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#28 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue May 21, 2019 9:36 pm

as expected

they didnt fired him after two concecutive sweeps, now the blazers went to the conference finals, so it was obvious they will keep him... i dont care honestly, i wanted him fired before this season, but now i have to give him some credit for how this season played out... hes not top tier coach, so in my eyes, he certainly isnt untouchable
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#29 » by Epicurus » Tue May 21, 2019 9:51 pm

I hope that someone informs Stotts that his improvement as a head coach in the NBA is dependent upon understanding and applying the wisdom about coaching a professional team, held by certain posters on this and other internet forums.
The Sebastian Express

Post#30 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue May 21, 2019 9:54 pm

Epicurus wrote:I hope that someone informs Stotts that his improvement as a head coach in the NBA is dependent upon understanding and applying the wisdom about coaching a professional team, held by certain posters on this and other internet forums.

I'm sorry, this is such a bad take. You criticize players and personnel not fitting his scheme, which is no different than other posters criticizing his rotations or his adjustments. Suggesting that wisdom cannot be found from anyone not in the field is akin to politicians saying constituents should not criticize policies, directors/actors/filmmakers telling the audience not to offer critique and feedback, etc, etc.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#31 » by Soulyss » Tue May 21, 2019 10:04 pm

Stotts is Dame's guy... If you are going to give Dame a super-max you better extend Stotts.

Hard to rationalize not giving him an extension with what they accomplished give the adversity they did it under. Players speak well of him, like playing for him, he brings out the best in players (think of all of the reclamation projects he's been a part of.)

I am ok with it. It will probably be for 3 yrs, which is a year into Dame's super-max. If he doesn't perform you can make a change and still have 3 more years of dame in the window with someone else at the helm.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#32 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm amazed people are so ho-hum to downright depressed about the extension. It would be such an incredibly awful look for the Blazers organization not to offer Olshey an extension after this years playoff run. Even if you want to see a new coach, the absolute media and player backlash to not give him an extension after making the WCF would not at all be worth it as opposed to just giving him the deal.

Secondly, its not like this is a player extension thats killing the cap. If the Blazers decide to finally part ways with Terry, they can do it at any point during his extension.

Thirdly, who else better was out there? Anyone excited for the likes of Ty Lue? How about Thibs grinding this team to the ground day in and day out?

If the Blazers wanted to make a coaching change, they should have done it last year and tried to hire Budenholzer.

With so many other important things on the horizon, like keeping Lillard, making such a major shakeup move like letting Stotts walk seems silly at this point and time imo.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#33 » by d-train » Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 pm

It's a good move by Blazers. He is doing a good job and has support of players. The extension allows Stotts the luxury of coaching for long-term success. And, Stotts is a relatively small commitment compared to the big issues Blazers face.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#34 » by Effigy » Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 pm

Lol at all the people upset at this move. He just took us to the WCF without our second best player, where we were underdogs in every series. And you want him fired? He's done a fantastic job.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#35 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 21, 2019 10:21 pm

Ya, I am fine with this extension. Stotts is a good but not great coach, in a league with very few great coaches. As Duster said, Buden was the guy last season to chase if we wanted to make a move. Right now what candidate is better than Stotts? And how does the PR team justify moving on from a coach that helped get this team to its first WCF in 19 years.

I understand this team if flawed but I am flabbergasted at how quickly the euphoria of making the WCF has worn off on some of my Blazers brethren. People want to trade CJ and move on from Stotts 24 hours after ending our best playoff run since Scottie Pippen was in town. The core of this team is going nowhere anytime soon. Small markets don't implode their team after its first quality playoff run in 20 years. That's just not going to happen. We will try to make move(s) that improve the core of Damian/CJ/Nurkic and arguably Zach IMO. But the blueprint, for better or worse, will remain the same.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#36 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, I am fine with this extension. Stotts is a good but not great coach, in a league with very few great coaches. As Duster said, Buden was the guy last season to chase if we wanted to make a move. Right now what candidate is better than Stotts? And how does the PR team justify moving on from a coach that helped get this team to its first WCF in 19 years.

I understand this team if flawed but I am flabbergasted at how quickly the euphoria of making the WCF has worn off on some of my Blazers brethren. People want to trade CJ and move on from Stotts 24 hours after ending our best playoff run since Scottie Pippen was in town. The core of this team is going nowhere anytime soon. Small markets don't implode their team after its first quality playoff run in 20 years. That's just not going to happen. We will try to make move(s) that improve the core of Damian/CJ/Nurkic and arguably Zach IMO. But the blueprint, for better or worse, will remain the same.

Totally. It's like a morgue around here by some people. I get that's not how you wanted the WCF to go.... but the team got to the WCF. This is a season to be proud of and to remember fondly, they just happened to run into one of the generations best teams.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express

Post#37 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 pm

Being disappointed in a Stotts extension doesn't equal being disappointed in the Blazers season or upset about being eliminated. Some of us would just like to see different elements introduced into the offense as well as an adjustment of some schemes, which we haven't seen Stotts do after seven years.

I think he's a good coach. It isn't the end of the world. I'd just have liked us not to extend him, that's all.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#38 » by Wizenheimer » Tue May 21, 2019 10:43 pm

as I said earlier in the thread, I've been ambivalent about Stotts till now, but I had landed on the side of Portland being better off with a change of coaches. I think the Blazers have some bad habits; worse is that they have developed some predictable tendencies that are targets for opponent game plans. I don't believe those habits or tendencies will be addressed with Stotts in charge

I would have been OK with him coaching the final year of his deal. I'm not pleased he'll get an extension, but I'm not real upset about it either

this is a status quo team right now, and extending Stotts is a status quo move. They made it to the WC finals so there's the good status quo. They have no prayer against the Warriors so there's the bad part of status quo, especially considering the Warriors won't be headed anywhere toward the downside over the next 3-5 years
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#39 » by Blazinaway » Tue May 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:as I said earlier in the thread, I've been ambivalent about Stotts till now, but I had landed on the side of Portland being better off with a change of coaches. I think the Blazers have some bad habits; worse is that they have developed some predictable tendencies that are targets for opponent game plans. I don't believe those habits or tendencies will be addressed with Stotts in charge

I would have been OK with him coaching the final year of his deal. I'm not pleased he'll get an extension, but I'm not real upset about it either

this is a status quo team right now, and extending Stotts is a status quo move. They made it to the WC finals so there's the good status quo. They have no prayer against the Warriors so there's the bad part of status quo, especially considering the Warriors won't be going anywhere toward the downside over the next 3-5 years

pretty much my sentiment as well
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#40 » by Epicurus » Tue May 21, 2019 10:48 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Epicurus wrote:I hope that someone informs Stotts that his improvement as a head coach in the NBA is dependent upon understanding and applying the wisdom about coaching a professional team, held by certain posters on this and other internet forums.

I'm sorry, this is such a bad take. You criticize players and personnel not fitting his scheme, which is no different than other posters criticizing his rotations or his adjustments. Suggesting that wisdom cannot be found from anyone not in the field is akin to politicians saying constituents should not criticize policies, directors/actors/filmmakers telling the audience not to offer critique and feedback, etc, etc.
The role of citizens in a democracy is not analogous to that of lay persons regarding a profession. But keep making your case for presumption. It's cute.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers