OT: Who's doing what this summer?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

OT: Who's doing what this summer? 

Post#1 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Jun 2, 2019 10:37 pm

Who's got hot plans for the summer? Tell us where you're heading and what you're doing!!!

Personally... I got nothing! That's why I wanna hear what y'all are gonna be doing.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Re: OT: Who's doing what this summer? 

Post#2 » by deanwoof » Mon Jun 3, 2019 5:15 am

Working. Trip to Boise? Maybe somewhere else like Vancouver BC? *Shrug*

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#3 » by PDX MM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am

Nothing during the summer but I will be starting my two month work sabbatical at the beginning of September and right now it is my goal to be able to say I have watched a Pac-12 football game at all conference stadiums. So far I have both Oregon and Washington schools plus Cal and UCLA done. I doubt I will be able to get the rest done but for sure I will get both Arizona schools, Utah, and Colorado. I might also make a trip to Hawaii to tour the latest Kilauea eruption lava fields but I am not sure about that yet. I use to have family that lived there which made it much cheaper place to travel to but they moved back here.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by deanwoof » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:53 pm

That's a nice goal

The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,827

Post#5 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:23 am

this summer, specifically today. i'm speaking the words of our Oregonian ancestors, which are:

**** this heat
deanwoof
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by deanwoof » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:26 am

"no blacks allowed" ? Oh not those ancestors. Oops.

tacos
Senior
And1: 383

Post#7 » by tacos » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:52 am

Probably go visit some family/friends im oregon... maybe hit a couple hot springs while I'm there
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,955

Post#8 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:27 pm

Melting in the North Texas heat, watching an old beater bearing the slogan "Make Weatherford Weird" get run off the road by a dually. Wondering what even is my life.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#9 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:39 pm

just got back from an 8 day camping trip in SE Oregon. The Jordan Valley/Owyhee Canyon area. Very remote and rugged. No internet or TV. Didn't even see a paper till I bought one yesterday in Riley and found out Toronto won the title, AD got traded to the Lakers, and trump is still an ahole.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#10 » by d-train » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 am

Wizenheimer wrote:just got back from an 8 day camping trip in SE Oregon. The Jordan Valley/Owyhee Canyon area. Very remote and rugged. No internet or TV. Didn't even see a paper till I bought one yesterday in Riley and found out Toronto won the title, AD got traded to the Lakers, and trump is still an ahole.

5 more years, then we get a new ahole. Hopefully, another Republican
The Sebastian Express

Post#11 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:13 am

Keep the political talk to the current affairs board, please. Thanks.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#12 » by d-train » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:38 am

I'm banned from that forum. They don't allow any pov that challenges Democrat talking points.
The Sebastian Express

Post#13 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 am

d-train wrote:I'm banned from that forum. They don't allow any pov that challenges Democrat talking points.

Yes, I know you're banned.

Please keep all political talk on the current affairs forum. Thank you.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,955

Post#14 » by Tim Lehrbach » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 am

Wizenheimer wrote:just got back from an 8 day camping trip in SE Oregon. The Jordan Valley/Owyhee Canyon area. Very remote and rugged. No internet or TV. Didn't even see a paper till I bought one yesterday in Riley and found out Toronto won the title, AD got traded to the Lakers, and trump is still an ahole.

One of the most serene and pretty, least light-polluted (and otherwise polluted) places left in the US. Where did you camp? I love both Three Forks and Leslie Gulch.

I need to get out to West Texas again soon for some camping and stargazing. There are a few spots just as untamed and romantic out there, and the higher elevations offer some relief from the heat at night, but it takes like 9 friggin hours from the DFW Metroplex to get out there. Actually, that's about the same as Portland to Owyhee, IIRC.
Clipsz 4 Life

January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006

Saxon

February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#15 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:45 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:

One of the most serene and pretty, least light-polluted (and otherwise polluted) places left in the US. Where did you camp? I love both Three Forks and Leslie Gulch.

I need to get out to West Texas again soon for some camping and stargazing. There are a few spots just as untamed and romantic out there, and the higher elevations offer some relief from the heat at night, but it takes like 9 friggin hours from the DFW Metroplex to get out there. Actually, that's about the same as Portland to Owyhee, IIRC.

we didn't go to Three Forks, but we did have long day trips; one was to Succor Canyon and Leslie Gulch. Did a little hiking with eyes on the ground for rattlesnakes; saw some Bighorn Sheep below the rims of Leslie Gulch. Another day trip was to Birch Creek Cabin Ranch which is a common take-out for floating the Owyhee. That's a long drive in and the last 6 miles is going about 1600 feet down from the rim to the river. 4 wheel drive all the way for sure. It was pretty hot in both places, even though it was still June. With rock cliffs on all sides it was like being in rock ovens. Dipping in the Owyhee was pleasant relief though

another day trip was to Silver City, Idaho. Semi-ghost town from the mining days. Another 4-wheel drive road from the Oregon side. We bought three 12-oz cans of Bud at 4 dollars each...ouch! Sure did a fine job of washing down our sandwiches though

I should also clarify: camping for my wife and I isn't a tent anymore; it's in a small 23 foot 5th-wheel. No slideouts. I've got it set up for rough-country dry camping. Reversed the leaf springs to lift the chassis; rocker arms and adjustable shocks to reduce the impact of rough roads and washboard surfaces. Four large 6-volt deep cycle batteries and300 watts of solar panels on the roof.

we spent 3 nights at Antelope Reservoir and 3 nights at Cow Lakes. Only 1 night was there another camper...a granny in a tent. The rest of the time we were the only people in the universe. Coming and going we spent a night at Chickahominy Reservoir about 5 miles west of Riley. That's about 5 hours from where we live in Salem so it makes a great stopover for going either to the Southeast or Northeast
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#16 » by zzaj » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:52 pm

I was going to do some music touring around Europe, and Australia but I decided to cancel to be with my 1 and a half year old daughter. I've heard from too many musician friends that they wish they had those young years back with their kids.

I've had a good 25 years of touring, I can afford to take a break for a while. Plus, around the world all of the interesting local businesses seem to be getting replaced with H&M and the like. When you are in a place for a matter of hours, often without easy transportation, it's tough to get a true feel for a place...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers