DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: Woj: Turner to Hawks for Bazemore 

Post#42 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:09 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe we can send them Leonard and Harkless, as well. Then they'd have all 4 of the Blazers horrible contracts of 2016.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#43 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:09 pm

This is a smart crafty move imo. Bazemore is a bit more expensive but plays solid D and more importantly can hit the 3 at a much better clip over the course of his career. While he’s indeed no sharpshooter .356 should make him at least capable of draining open shots imo
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#44 » by d-train » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:To what degree did Turner play PG last season for you guys? Reports I'm reading say he was the PG for the second unit for the second half of the season... is that true? If not, what's your more realistic estimate. Just looking for some education.

He played a lot at point forward. Turner can defend 4 or 5 positions so he can play in almost any lineup. He is a hustle player and a though competitor. He's not a really good spot up jump shooter. He likes turnaround mid range shots and shooting off the dribble at mid range. He is most comfortable starting out with the ball. He likes pushing the ball but Blazers don't really look for early offense much.
d-train
RealGM

Post#45 » by d-train » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Oden2 wrote:This is a smart crafty move imo. Bazemore is a bit more expensive but plays solid D and more importantly can hit the 3 at a much better clip over the course of his career. While he’s indeed no sharpshooter .356 should make him at least capable of draining open shots imo

.350 is his wide open percentage. He doesn't create anything.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#46 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:To what degree did Turner play PG last season for you guys? Reports I'm reading say he was the PG for the second unit for the second half of the season... is that true? If not, what's your more realistic estimate. Just looking for some education.

moe harkless and jake layman played at small forward (harkless started 53 games-60 total, layman started 33 games-71 total), so evan turner played there when one of those didnt... he was backup pg
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#47 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 pm

d-train wrote:
Oden2 wrote:This is a smart crafty move imo. Bazemore is a bit more expensive but plays solid D and more importantly can hit the 3 at a much better clip over the course of his career. While he’s indeed no sharpshooter .356 should make him at least capable of draining open shots imo

I believe with dame and cj taking pressure off him that percentage will be higher than Atlanta

With Kent I feel that we have a 20-28 mpg role player, with Evan I felt we had a guy who was somewhat of a neutral effect sort of player if not a net negative at times.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#48 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:

moe harkless and jake layman played at small forward (harkless started 53 games-60 total, layman started 33 games-71 total), so evan turner played there when one of those didnt... he was backup pg

Yes ET is a surprisingly decent pg. I suppose one of the more unfortunate things for him was that behind Dame he wasn’t gonna get much time there
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#49 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 pm

TBFan4Life wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we have a single cap MLE available to us, that we can use part or all on Kanter, Hood, or some other free agent. I've always thought Hood is gone because the market is going to pay him more than our cap MLE. It looks like it's 50/50 on Kanter, but as you stated the C market is more plentiful this year so I'm hopeful..... Kanter by far is my first choice for our backup center.

So I like the Bazemore trade because it takes some of the sting out of losing Hood, and while I'll miss Turner's passing and post up play, I think Bazemore fits better with this team because his 3 pt shooting is so much better than Turner.

Portland has the tax MLE to use...about 5.7M first year salary

using the full-MLE (9.2M) hard-caps a team at the Apron (about 138M this summer). Using the BAE (around 3.3M) hard caps a team at the apron as well.

Right now, Portland is a shade over 130M in guarantees & dead salary. Less than 8M under the apron, and that's only for 11 guys, so the full-MLE isn't an option unless Portland can dump substantial salary. Trading Meyers (for example) for no salary coming back would drop the Blazers to around 119M, 19M below the apron. They could then use the full MLE and BAE on players, putting them at 12 players (or 13 if they split the MLE). They'd be about 6-7M below the apron; resign Layman (or not) for 2-3M, and use 1-3 vet minimum deals at 1.5M per, and they'd still have a little room under the apron. But their trade options would be limited to bringing in less salary than they shipped out
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#50 » by mighty_duck » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:31 pm

d-train wrote:
TBFan4Life wrote:The market didn't pay Hood last year. Hood's best offer was to accept his minimum QO, which was less than the non-bird exception Blazers can use to sign him this summer.

Last summer's market was very tight, with very few teams with available cap space. Hood was a RFA, further limiting his suitors.
My gut is that he'll get a taxpayer exception size deal.

If we have to use the full taxpayer MLE, then we have more pressing needs, especially with Nurk out for most of the season.
d-train
RealGM

Post#51 » by d-train » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Oden2 wrote:
d-train wrote:

I believe with dame and cj taking pressure off him that percentage will be higher than Atlanta

With Kent I feel that we have a 20-28 mpg role player, with Evan I felt we had a guy who was somewhat of a neutral effect sort of player if not a net negative at times.

Bazemore can have better than average shooting years. I think 20-28 minutes is about right. The difference is Bazemore can mesh with the starters better than Turner did.
d-train
RealGM

Post#52 » by d-train » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:43 pm

mighty_duck wrote:
d-train wrote:
TBFan4Life wrote:The market didn't pay Hood last year. Hood's best offer was to accept his minimum QO, which was less than the non-bird exception Blazers can use to sign him this summer.

Last summer's market was very tight, with very few teams with available cap space. Hood was a RFA, further limiting his suitors.
My gut is that he'll get a taxpayer exception size deal.

If we have to use the full taxpayer MLE, then we have more pressing needs, especially with Nurk out for most of the season.

You don't need cap room to give Hood a better offer than $3.5M. Every team has an exception bigger than that. You just need a team that want's Hood and last year there wasn't any takers. This summer maybe Hood will get a big offer, but it isn't the slam dunk deal some assume. It only takes 1 team to create a market and he should be a target because everyone knows Blazers can't re-sign him for more than $4.2M.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#53 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:51 pm

Is Bazemore injury prone? The guy has never played a full season.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#54 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:58 pm

Why do people think this makes Kanter resigning more likely?

I like this alot. I think Baze can shoot 35-39% from 3. Pretty much better than any non-Hood wing we had last year. Makes losing Hood less of a gut punch.

Frees up time for Layman, Simon's and Little. Gives us an actually attractive asset come Feb once Base proves he can play better than Turner in Oct-Feb. If we can resign Kanter this would be a helluva off-season.

Dame/Simons
CJ/Baze
Harkless/Layman/Little
Collins/Skal
Kanter/Meyers

Once Nurk is back move Kanter into the second unit and our bench is really good again.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#55 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:59 pm

I hope there is still a chance we can resign Hood. Baze is much more in the Harkless / Aminu mold of not having any shot creation abilities. I would love to find a suitor for Harkless / Leonard package and run with Baze / Hood / Layman getting the lions share of SF minutes.

Harkless / Leonard / Picks for a PF/C upgrade just became more feasible b/c Baze could slide into that starting SF spot IMO.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#56 » by Blazinaway » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:11 pm

[quote="BlazersBroncos"]I hope there is still a chance we can resign Hood. Baze is much more in the Harkless / Aminu mold of not having any shot creation abilities. I would love to find a suitor for Harkless / Leonard package and run with Baze / Hood / Layman getting the lions share of SF minutes.

Harkless / Leonard / Picks for a PF/C upgrade just became more feasible b/c Baze could slide into that starting SF spot IMO.[/quot

Barring a big trade it more and more appears that Simons could really be the Xfactor for next yr. Good bit of hype from Neal and if its warranted that could make a significant difference for this team now and especially in the next several yrs - if if if. Or it could be just another developmental yr with modest improvement, I myself can't stop from feeling some of that hype as a relive that incredible season ending game for Simons and Neals optimism, we'll see
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#57 » by deanwoof » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:30 pm

red_power wrote:Maybe Leonard's trade is finally coming soon as well? :roll:
I can only hope.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#58 » by JasonStern » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:39 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:Why do people think this makes Kanter resigning more likely?

I don't think that anyone has explicitly said that. The Blazers have the taxpayer MLE and BAE* to retain or replace Hood, Kanter, and Curry. By replacing Turner with Bazemore, Portland has acquired more three point shooting to offset some of what Hood/Curry brought last season.

* = Using the BAE hard-caps Portland, meaning they'd likely have to renounce Aminu or sign him early to a below market contract.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#59 » by DusterBuster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:39 pm

d-train wrote:Bazemore is just as tradeable as Turner. I see no reason why this deal would interfere with any trade Blazer might want to do.

They can't trade Bazemore alone, but they can't combine him with another player for some time I believe. It semi-potentially hinders some summer moves, but not drastically and it might be so minimal as to basically be inconsequential.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#60 » by DusterBuster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:43 pm

deanwoof wrote:
red_power wrote:Maybe Leonard's trade is finally coming soon as well? :roll:
I can only hope.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think anyone still opining for a Leonard trade are going to be in for a long wait. With how he finished the season and with Nurk out for at least a couple months, they need all the size up front they can get. I think you'll probably be seeing a fairly significant role for Leonard to start the Blazers season unless something crazy unexpected happens. Maybe the Blazers can get lucky with Kanter having a soft FA market and they can bring him back on a one year MLE deal, but I feel like if Rodney Hood has a bigger contract waiting for him somewhere, then Kanter will likely as well.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll

Return to Portland Trail Blazers