ImageImage

Layman to Minny

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

bob2
Senior
And1: 80

Re: Layman to Minny 

Post#41 » by bob2 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:32 am

Goldbum wrote:If it’s 3.8 I get it... 1.8 seems pointless... especially with that Euro never even likely to be in training camp.

Layman signed for 11.5 M$ over 3 years.
11.5/3 = 3.833
a TPE of 3.8 M$ seems right.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#42 » by Dame Lizard » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:47 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:What exactly does the TPE mean? I've never had a good grip on that.
It's a bit complicated but in very general terms a Traded Player Exception allows us to trade for a player up to that salary amount + $100,000 within a year of its creation.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85 also question 87 for using the TPE.

So if Layman's first year salary is $3.8 million we can acquire a player or players using up to $3.9 million. If its $1.8 million its $1.9 million
Cool thanks VI!
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#43 » by JasonStern » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:27 pm

it's go time.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Blazer50
Head Coach
And1: 759

Post#44 » by Blazer50 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:30 pm

Jake Layman's TPE explanation - He is a $3.8M cap hit to the Wolves - but creates 1/2 of that as a TPE to the Blazers.

"While the base year compensation rules have mostly been adjusted and/or removed from the CBA in recent years, there’s still one situation where they apply. Teams have to take them into account when completing sign-and-trade deals.

The BYC rules apply to a player who meets the following criteria in a sign-and-trade:

He is a Bird or Early Bird free agent.
His new salary is worth more than the minimum.
He receives a raise greater than 20%.
His team is at or above the cap immediately after the signing.
If the player meets those criteria and is included in a sign-and-trade deal, his outgoing salary for matching purposes is considered to be his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater. For the team he is being signed-and-traded to, his incoming figure for matching purposes is his full new salary."
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#45 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:04 pm

JasonStern wrote:Image

it's go time.

Oh, so we got the draft rights for Batman. Neat!
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#46 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:21 pm

Blazer50 wrote:Jake Layman's TPE explanation - He is a $3.8M cap hit to the Wolves - but creates 1/2 of that as a TPE to the Blazers.

"While the base year compensation rules have mostly been adjusted and/or removed from the CBA in recent years, there’s still one situation where they apply. Teams have to take them into account when completing sign-and-trade deals.

The BYC rules apply to a player who meets the following criteria in a sign-and-trade:

If the player meets those criteria and is included in a sign-and-trade deal, his outgoing salary for matching purposes is considered to be his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater. For the team he is being signed-and-traded to, his incoming figure for matching purposes is his full new salary."

thanks for that. I completely forgot about any BYC factor
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#47 » by Village Idiot » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:03 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Blazer50 wrote:Jake Layman's TPE explanation - He is a $3.8M cap hit to the Wolves - but creates 1/2 of that as a TPE to the Blazers.

thanks for that. I completely forgot about any BYC factor
Me too. I'm losing it. :oops:
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,899

Post#48 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:41 pm

Ah, that makes sense
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#49 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jul 5, 2019 8:23 pm

Just for giggles, the below are some guys that could be absorbed into the TPE and IMO wouldnt cost more than a R2, if anything.

Denzel Valentine
Juancho Hernangomez
Tony Bradley
Jonah Bolden
De'Anthony Melton

I think all of the above could be avaliable. I specifically like Hernangomez as a floor spacing PF. High enegry guy.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#50 » by PDX MM » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:39 pm

packforfreedom wrote:hey guys. Can you give a short scouting report of Layman? I somehow can't remember seeing him play, but he apparently even started 30 games for you. Did you like him or is he a shooter who can't shoot? Can he play defense and move the ball?

There are plenty of video's on Youtube of Jake highlights but this is my favorite. Yes he can shoot and defend some but right now he is a role player who could become more if he continues to work on his game and gets a favorable shot with the right team. Just don't expect another 18 point quarter even in pre season.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers