ImageImage

Pickup Jabari and Boogie?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Pickup Jabari and Boogie? 

Post#1 » by Blazers20 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 2:43 am

Blazers should attempt to sign these two for the minimum. Blazers can have both players play about 2/3 of the season so they can possibly be healthy for the playoffs. I believe these two can be huge for the Blazers. Dame is apparently good friends with Boogie do I believe he can somewhat keep him in check. Parker could bring scoring off the bench in limited minutes.

1: Dame-Simons
2: CJ-Bazemore
3: Hood-Hezonja
4: Collins-Jabari-Skal
5: Hassan-Boogie-Nurk
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Re: Pickup Jabari and Boogie? 

Post#2 » by Blazers98 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:36 am

We certainly need another PF. I'd be down with Jabari as a scorer off the bench.
Anyone think that Hezonja will play some PF for us?
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#3 » by Village Idiot » Fri Jul 5, 2019 8:32 am

I think we're in pretty good shape at PF. Assuming Skal is a PF and not a C we have Collins, Tolliver, Hezonja and Labissiere

I am wary that Parkers durability/athleticism and skill set are not aligned with his ego and expectations for touches. He's one of those guys who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. TBH I think we just got such a player in Hezonja at the same position.

It's center where we need help. I'd stay away from Cousins though. Maybe he isn't fully recovered but he's entirely useless defensively these days but still will expect a lot of touches. Joakim Noah is the guy I'd target. He played really hard on a crappy Memphis team last year and would be another solid vet to add to the mix as the primary back-up center. I love his defense and passion and he's a good screen and roll guy who can provide a lot of the same high post passing that Nurk gave us.

Assuming Bazemore starts at SF and Collins at C, a second unit of Simons, Hood, Hezonja, Tolliver and Noah could be really solid with a nice mix of different skills.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#4 » by Goldbum » Fri Jul 5, 2019 12:43 pm

Sure. I mean if you can get those 2 guys at the Vet minimum I suppose you have to roll the dice don’t you! Right now we are talking about end of the bench players to fill those roster spots, if you can get guys better than who we have I think you take it. The problem I see is I don’t think you have a snowballs chance at those 2. I think they are waiting on K. Leonard to sign then will be taking below market prove it deals with someone who missed on the finals MVP.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
realboredcactus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#5 » by realboredcactus » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:31 pm

Of course I would want them because of their talents, but I think they don't fit in an ego/intangible reasoning. Boogie probably would not want to backup Hassan and be limited to 20ish minutes a game. Jabari might be a little more willing as he should be the starting 4, but even still it seems that we would just be getting names rather than good fits. I think the best fit would be Jamychal Green left. We already have 13 players with most, if not all, deserving time it would be difficult to fit into the rotation.

PG: Dame(34), Simons (16)
SG: CJ (32), Bazemore (22) Trent (4)
SF: Hood (26), Nassir (16)
PF: Tolliver (18), Hezonja (18), Labissiere (8)
C: Whiteside (24), Collins (22), Nurk

Once Nurk is healthy I can see him absorbing Skal's minutes and some of Whiteside's too. I really would not mind if he sits out the full year, just hope he is healthy
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#6 » by Soulyss » Fri Jul 5, 2019 2:06 pm

I've always liked the idea of a Boogie / Dame pairing, however that was Whiteside. I don't see Boogie coming to the Blazers with Whiteside here.

Parker on the other hand feels like the typical buy-low talent grab Olshey is famous for. I could also see us being a landing spot for Gasol.
acidfrehley
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#7 » by acidfrehley » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:32 pm

I've always been big on Jabari. Still think that he could turn it up and grab a MIP award in the forthcoming seasons. The guy has talent (but also has injuries).

I'd be willing to take a flyer on him, but I think that our previous movies kinda makes this pointless. We already have Hood / Baze / Hezonja / Little / Skal / Collins all competing for four spots (sf/pf starters and sf/pf bench).

I'll just hope that he gets signed by a team that could maximize his talents, like a SAS for example.

About Cousins, bleh, I'm out. Our starting C is Nurkic. Whiteside could become a good thing but we'll have to see how this plays out. Can't see any need of boogie here.
Steal by Bird
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#8 » by Steal by Bird » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:34 pm

Jae Crowder. Memphis needs to unload vets.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#9 » by donkeylips » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:24 am

yes to both.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#10 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:57 am

Steal by Bird wrote:Jae Crowder. Memphis needs to unload vets.

Crowder is nice, but Portland really needs to focus on their frontcourt. Plus I just don't know how Portland would make the contracts work for a trade.

At this point, I think the Blazers are just gonna kinda watch the waiver wire for potential vet min deals.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#11 » by red_power » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:23 am

Absolutely NO. Both would be horrible pickups.
Keep mind, with Dame and CJ blazers already have enough ball dominating, iso scroing, volume shooting players
(frankly that was a main reason why Turner was so underwhelming here).

This team much more needs players who can knock wide open shots consistently and play some really pesky defense. Neither Jabari nor Boogie don't fit here. They aren't really great at first and they absolutely disastrous at second.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Dangeruss
Senior
And1: 96

Post#12 » by Dangeruss » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:35 pm

Yes to Jabari, no to boogie. Even if Parker comes in like an Evan turner type, he’ll be at a fraction of the cost. Another ball handler off the bench couldn’t hurt and he has the upside to contribute in that second unit for minimal cost. I’ll take it
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:55 pm

Boogie just signed - as expected - with the Lakers.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#14 » by deanwoof » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:57 pm

Get Steve Blake out of retirement.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#15 » by Blazers20 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:58 pm

Jabari Parker could be a reliable scorer off the bench. He could be on the floor with Whiteside so whatever he lacks on D Whiteside will always plug the key.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#16 » by Waynearchetype » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:29 pm

Blazers20 wrote:Jabari Parker could be a reliable scorer off the bench. He could be on the floor with Whiteside so whatever he lacks on D Whiteside will always plug the key.

Not sure he will take the minimum, and without that i'm not sure how we could get Jabari. Maybe a sign and trade for TPE + 2nd or Trent?
wjun15
Rookie
And1: 407

Post#17 » by wjun15 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:03 am

realboredcactus wrote:Of course I would want them because of their talents, but I think they don't fit in an ego/intangible reasoning. Boogie probably would not want to backup Hassan and be limited to 20ish minutes a game. Jabari might be a little more willing as he should be the starting 4, but even still it seems that we would just be getting names rather than good fits. I think the best fit would be Jamychal Green left. We already have 13 players with most, if not all, deserving time it would be difficult to fit into the rotation.

PG: Dame(34), Simons (16)
SG: CJ (32), Bazemore (22) Trent (4)
SF: Hood (26), Nassir (16)
PF: Tolliver (18), Hezonja (18), Labissiere (8)
C: Whiteside (24), Collins (22), Nurk

Once Nurk is healthy I can see him absorbing Skal's minutes and some of Whiteside's too. I really would not mind if he sits out the full year, just hope he is healthy

I doubt Nassir is playing 16 minutes a game right off the bat. Stots will probably throw Hezonja/Bazemore at the backup 3, and give Nassir the Simons rookie year treatment. I think Collins will start at the 4 and play about 28 minutes a game (split between 4 and backup 5) depending on foul trouble.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#18 » by Showdown » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:53 pm

Little should play PF (Aminu role) and Trent should get some minutes at backup sf and sg. Hezonja will mostly play at sf and the rest of his minutes will be on pf.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#19 » by JasonStern » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:14 pm

Read on Twitter
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#20 » by d-train » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:08 pm

Showdown wrote:Little should play PF (Aminu role) and Trent should get some minutes at backup sf and sg. Hezonja will mostly play at sf and the rest of his minutes will be on pf.

I think Little's best move for awhile is going to be twiddling his thumbs at the end of the bench. It's a bonus if we get more than that.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers