2019 Offseason: Part 2

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#1 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:58 pm

I forgot we're supposed to keep threads from going over 100 pages. Continuing the Offseason thread here
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#2 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:03 pm

realboredcactus wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Livingston would be a nice veteran to have off the bench. Steady hand with tons of "been there" experience.

Wouldn't hate it. It seems at this point they have been just getting guys to get guys (Tolliver and Hezonja felt like stopgaps rather than answers), while Lyles can be a good backup 4 for us. IDK if he'll take a minimum but we've seen weirder

If Lyles would take a minimum I would definitely waive Tolliver. He would be a reclamation project like Hezonja but so far Olshey seems to be batting above average with those.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#3 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Portland would be stupid to not take the time and see how Whiteside fits on this team while
Nurk is out. If the guy goes out in a contract year and is dominant, they have a very
desireable expiring contract and have a nice problem with a returning Nurk on a very
nice deal.

Even if a good trade is not available, I like the idea of 48 minutes of Nurkic/Whiteside in the playoffs.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#4 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:46 pm

I think it’s interesting that some are knocking love for being injury prone and then immediately jumping to gallo who is equally a liability
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:14 pm

I think it’s interesting that some are knocking love for being injury prone and then immediately jumping to gallo who is equally a liability

Contract plays a huge, huge role. In addition, Gallo has injury concerns but is coming off one of his best, least injured seasons. Love is in the opposite position with a huge, huge contract to boot.

I would rather have Gallo as my starting PF than Love. Point blank. He is cheaper, trending upward and, the most underrated aspect, he can handle the ball and be the 3rd ballhandler that we sorely lack. Love isnt going to help Dame and CJ in traps as much as Gallo would.

Gallo + Noel would be a tremendous addition to this team. And we could make it happen. If Nurkic is healthy, swing Whiteside + Lower Tier Prospect (Gary Trent or Skal ideally, possibly Little) + Protected FRP for Gallo + Noel + Future SRP.

PG - Damian Lillard / Anfernee Simons
SG - CJ McCollum / Rodney Hood / Gary Trent Jr
SF - Kent Bazemore / Rodney Hood / Gary Trent Jr
PF - Danilo Gallinari / Zach Collins / Skal Labissiere
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Nerlens Noel / Skal Labissiere

I freaking love that rotation.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#6 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Contract plays a huge, huge role. In addition, Gallo has injury concerns but is coming off one of his best, least injured seasons. Love is in the opposite position with a huge, huge contract to boot.

I would rather have Gallo as my starting PF than Love. Point blank. He is cheaper, trending upward and, the most underrated aspect, he can handle the ball and be the 3rd ballhandler that we sorely lack. Love isnt going to help Dame and CJ in traps as much as Gallo would.

Gallo + Noel would be a tremendous addition to this team. And we could make it happen. If Nurkic is healthy, swing Whiteside + Lower Tier Prospect (Gary Trent or Skal ideally, possibly Little) + Protected FRP for Gallo + Noel + Future SRP.

I know this is blasphemy but I wonder thinking another way... if whiteside is an amazing fit and looks like he might resign what might the market for nurk be?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 pm

Oden2 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

I know this is blasphemy but I wonder thinking another way... if whiteside is an amazing fit and looks like he might resign what might the market for nurk be?

It would be a nice problem to have for athletically Whiteside is superior to Nurk. Even a team like the Celtics would
have no problem with trading Jayson Tatum and more for Nurkic
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#8 » by Jsun947 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:48 am

Norm2953 wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

It would be a nice problem to have for athletically Whiteside is superior to Nurk. Even a team like the Celtics would

Ya... Uh, no. They would have a huge problem trading Tatum for Nurkic...
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#9 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:49 am

Norm2953 wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Oh man tatum for Nurk would be DREAMY even with my love for nurk. If we get that we’ve gotta jump on it
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#10 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:05 am

I don't get the Jayson Tatum love some people have. He's never been wildly impressive to me.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 am

I wonder if the Blazers would look at bringing Greg Monroe in on a vet min deal? Seems like he might be a good end of the bench big for cheap and the Blazers have shown past interest in him before (granted it was far in the past).
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#12 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:50 am

Boston has a huge hole at center with the departure of Horford and a big surplus at SF. Nurkic has a below league average contract which could make him from a contract POV the most desirable center in the league.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 am

Norm2953 wrote:Boston has a huge hole at center with the departure of Horford and a big surplus at SF. Nurkic has a below league average contract which could make him from a contract POV the most desirable center in the league.

As much as I don't care for Tatum, if Boston wasn't willing to trade him for any of the superstars that have come available over the past few years, they aren't gonna trade him for Nurkic.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#14 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:22 am

It's gone a bit under the radar with all the other moves, but I think the one player I'm most interested to see what he does this year is Collins. Looking at the situation, this summer is almost exactly like the summer where Olshey let all the Aldridge era guys walk to purposely open up a starting spot for a young guy when he believed he was ready (CJ by letting Wes walk). I'm curious how Collins will step up to the plate in a starter role, if he can replicate the jump CJ took (or even 60% of it) when he was given this same opportunity, the Blazers will be a lot stronger than we assume.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#15 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:12 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Boston has a huge hole at center with the departure of Horford and a big surplus at SF. Nurkic has a below league average contract which could make him from a contract POV the most desirable center in the league.

As much as I don't care for Tatum, if Boston wasn't willing to trade him for any of the superstars that have come available over the past few years, they aren't gonna trade him for Nurkic.

Boston with good reasons had legit fears of any of these super star players. They would have no such fears with Nurkic, signed for the next three seasons
realboredcactus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#16 » by realboredcactus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:48 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
realboredcactus wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Livingston would be a nice veteran to have off the bench. Steady hand with tons of "been there" experience.

Wouldn't hate it. It seems at this point they have been just getting guys to get guys (Tolliver and Hezonja felt like stopgaps rather than answers), while Lyles can be a good backup 4 for us. IDK if he'll take a minimum but we've seen weirder

If Lyles would take a minimum I would definitely waive Tolliver. He would be a reclamation project like Hezonja but so far Olshey seems to be batting above average with those.

I wouldn't even categorize Lyles as a reclamation project as the only real reason he did not perform last year was due to Denver's depth and he never seemed to be a main focus for them. Even if he was, Olshey has been doing great with them, within the past few months Hood and Kanter and Nurkic has to be one of the biggest examples of his success. It is definitely confirmation bias but the only guys who seem to falter are guys who aren't NBA level talent (Papa-G) especially considering that Stauskas was playing decently here and is now on the fringes of the NBA
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#17 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Tolliver was brought in to be a mentor and veteran presence. Lyles doesnt bring that, and was quite immature early on in his career. He is a Skal level player. Consitering the youth this team has, and the turnover, I think we needed a veteran like Tolliver. Much more so than another meh level guy like Lyles. And at least Tolliver has a speciality in 3PT shooting. Lyles is a big bucket of meh all around.

As for Collins, this is his year to show out. He made good strides in the playoffs, and if nothing else showed he doesnt back down from anyone and isnt nervous playing important minutes. He needs to get bigger, box out better, play more consistent on offense, etc. But I trust in him to make those strides. If I had to guess, I would go with 26mpg, 11.5-12.5ppg, 5.5-6rpg, 1.5bpg, 1.5apg, 37% 3PT with better advanced stats than raw stats.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#18 » by Showdown » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Oden2 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Trade younger and better center who had best year in career after he signed contract and sacrifice his stats for the team to overpay guy that play good only in his contract year and care only about his stats ?
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#19 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Boston with good reasons had legit fears of any of these super star players. They would have no such fears with Nurkic, signed for the next three seasons

Nurk also isn't a superstar. Not happening dude.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#20 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Showdown wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Trade younger and better center who had best year in career after he signed contract and sacrifice his stats for the team to overpay guy that play good only in his contract year and care only about his stats ?

Except it’s not nurk for whiteside it’s nurk for an sf we could conceivably keep arounfpr for 6 years due to rfa status in 2 years. Whiteside would just give us a starting center

Return to Portland Trail Blazers