ImageImage

2019 Offseason: Part 2

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,148
And1: 6,125
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#141 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:18 pm

d-train wrote: However, I think Aminu, Harkless, Layman, and Stauskas did not shoot as well from the corner baseline as we needed. Bazemore, Hood, and Tolliver are going to give us more accuracy from the corners. .


now that's a point I actually agree with

corner three point percentage last year:

Hood .429
Bazemore .340 (but was well over .400 the previous 4 seasons)
Hezonja .125 (at least it wasn't under 10%)
Tolliver .351
Collins .273

Aminu .356 (was .474 the previous year)
Harkless .289 (was .404 the previous year...his knee injury really set him back)
Turner .222 (he only shot 15)

Curry .489
Meyers .500
Layman .243

kind of hard to gauge incoming and outgoing but looks like an upgrade, depending on who is taking the shots
BigLurch92
Analyst
Posts: 3,348
And1: 883
Joined: Jan 08, 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
     

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#142 » by BigLurch92 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:23 pm

What would you guys say is our depth chart as of today?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,148
And1: 6,125
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#143 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 pm

BigLurch92 wrote:What would you guys say is our depth chart as of today?


Dame/Simons/CJ
CJ/Bazemore/Simons
Hood/Bazemore/Hezonja
Zach/Hezonja/Tolliver
Whiteside/Zach/Skal

maybe

pretty thin in some spots
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 18,371
And1: 703
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#144 » by d-train » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:57 pm

Our top 3 players should be Lillard, CJ, and Whiteside. I'm guessing the next 3 will be Bazemore, Collins, and Hood. Tolliver and Mario will definitely get rotation minutes after our first 6. Then we have Simons and Trent. Who knows what we are going to get from those 2.
Image
Jsun947
Analyst
Posts: 3,275
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 02, 2007

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#145 » by Jsun947 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:22 pm

There is no way in hell we're trading for Blake Griffin unless there's a way CJ is involved, and we'd need to get a starting quality player back thats cheap enough for CJ to go out.

The only thing I could think of would be something like this, and thats assuming that Detroit just wants to get off Griffin's salary

Portland Out
CJ
Whiteside

Portland In
Griffin
Covington

Minny Out
Teague
Covington

Minny In
CJ

Detroit Out
Griffin

Detroit In
Whiteside
Teague

Even then Griffin makes sooo much money that we'd almost for sure be in the repeater tax next season and that's without resigning someone like Bazemore. Also I'm not sure how well Griffin and Nurkic fit together. They both take up a lot of the same space on the floor and they'd clog the driving lanes for Dame
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 18,371
And1: 703
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#146 » by d-train » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Jsun947 wrote:There is no way in hell we're trading for Blake Griffin unless there's a way CJ is involved, and we'd need to get a starting quality player back thats cheap enough for CJ to go out.

The only thing I could think of would be something like this, and thats assuming that Detroit just wants to get off Griffin's salary

Portland Out
CJ
Whiteside

Portland In
Griffin
Covington

Minny Out
Teague
Covington

Minny In
CJ

Detroit Out
Griffin

Detroit In
Whiteside
Teague

Even then Griffin makes sooo much money that we'd almost for sure be in the repeater tax next season and that's without resigning someone like Bazemore. Also I'm not sure how well Griffin and Nurkic fit together. They both take up a lot of the same space on the floor and they'd clog the driving lanes for Dame

I'm guessing you are a Timberwolves fan. Blazers wouldn't do this deal.
Image
Jsun947
Analyst
Posts: 3,275
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 02, 2007

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#147 » by Jsun947 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:55 am

d-train wrote:
Jsun947 wrote:There is no way in hell we're trading for Blake Griffin unless there's a way CJ is involved, and we'd need to get a starting quality player back thats cheap enough for CJ to go out.

The only thing I could think of would be something like this, and thats assuming that Detroit just wants to get off Griffin's salary

Portland Out
CJ
Whiteside

Portland In
Griffin
Covington

Minny Out
Teague
Covington

Minny In
CJ

Detroit Out
Griffin

Detroit In
Whiteside
Teague

Even then Griffin makes sooo much money that we'd almost for sure be in the repeater tax next season and that's without resigning someone like Bazemore. Also I'm not sure how well Griffin and Nurkic fit together. They both take up a lot of the same space on the floor and they'd clog the driving lanes for Dame

I'm guessing you are a Timberwolves fan. Blazers wouldn't do this deal.


I wouldn’t either.
brianstorm
Ballboy
Posts: 3
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 27, 2019
   

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#148 » by brianstorm » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm thinking of 3 different trades to make Portland have depth and quality... and these make sense for each parties.

First Trade: It's between Detroit and Portland. Detroit is reportedly looking to rebuild and move Griffin away. Also I don't see Drummond is staying as his contract is expiring at the end of the season. (Another pick and unimportant assets can be added to trade to make it happen, but this should be enough I think)

Portland gets: Andre Drummond (DET)

Detroit gets: Hassan Whiteside (POR) + 2020 1st round pick (POR)


Second Trade: This is among Boston, Minnesota and Portland. Every team is getting the missing pieces of their rosters. Boston finally gets one of the top 10 centers in the league, but they should wait until the all-star break for Nurkic returning to full health. They don't bother sending Marcus Smart because newly drafted Carsen Edwards showed some sparks to be enough for backup PG role. From the perspective of Minnesota, this is a chance to bring another star-caliber player by sending the expiring contract of Jeff Teague along with a couple of picks.

Portland gets: Robert Covington (MIN) + 2020 1st round pick (BOS via MIL) + 2020 2nd round pick (BOS via ATL)

Minnesota gets: Marcus Smart (BOS)

Boston gets: Jusuf Nurkic (POR)


Third Trade:

Portland gets: Marvin Williams (CHA) + Devonte Graham (CHA)

Charlotte gets: Kent Bazemore (POR) + 2020 2nd round pick (POR via ATL)


As a result this is the depth chart of Portland:

Damian Lillard | Devonte Graham | Anfernee Simons
CJ McCollum | Rodney Hood | Gary Trent Jr.
Robert Covington | Mario Hezonja | Nassir Little
Marvin Williams | Anthony Tolliver | Jaylen Hoard
Andre Drummond | Zach Collins | Skal Labissiere
Roy The Natural
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,826
And1: 2,489
Joined: Nov 07, 2014

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#149 » by Roy The Natural » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:09 pm

brianstorm wrote:I'm thinking of 3 different trades to make Portland have depth and quality... and these make sense for each parties.

First Trade: It's between Detroit and Portland. Detroit is reportedly looking to rebuild and move Griffin away. Also I don't see Drummond is staying as his contract is expiring at the end of the season. (Another pick and unimportant assets can be added to trade to make it happen, but this should be enough I think)

Portland gets: Andre Drummond (DET)

Detroit gets: Hassan Whiteside (POR) + 2020 1st round pick (POR)


Second Trade: This is among Boston, Minnesota and Portland. Every team is getting the missing pieces of their rosters. Boston finally gets one of the top 10 centers in the league, but they should wait until the all-star break for Nurkic returning to full health. They don't bother sending Marcus Smart because newly drafted Carsen Edwards showed some sparks to be enough for backup PG role. From the perspective of Minnesota, this is a chance to bring another star-caliber player by sending the expiring contract of Jeff Teague along with a couple of picks.

Portland gets: Robert Covington (MIN) + 2020 1st round pick (BOS via MIL) + 2020 2nd round pick (BOS via ATL)

Minnesota gets: Marcus Smart (BOS)

Boston gets: Jusuf Nurkic (POR)


Third Trade:

Portland gets: Marvin Williams (CHA) + Devonte Graham (CHA)

Charlotte gets: Kent Bazemore (POR) + 2020 2nd round pick (POR via ATL)


As a result this is the depth chart of Portland:

Damian Lillard | Devonte Graham | Anfernee Simons
CJ McCollum | Rodney Hood | Gary Trent Jr.
Robert Covington | Mario Hezonja | Nassir Little
Marvin Williams | Anthony Tolliver | Jaylen Hoard
Andre Drummond | Zach Collins | Skal Labissiere


Nah.... I'm good. Don't want to do those trades really.
Jsun947
Analyst
Posts: 3,275
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 02, 2007

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#150 » by Jsun947 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 pm

brianstorm wrote:I'm thinking of 3 different trades to make Portland have depth and quality... and these make sense for each parties.

First Trade: It's between Detroit and Portland. Detroit is reportedly looking to rebuild and move Griffin away. Also I don't see Drummond is staying as his contract is expiring at the end of the season. (Another pick and unimportant assets can be added to trade to make it happen, but this should be enough I think)

Portland gets: Andre Drummond (DET)

Detroit gets: Hassan Whiteside (POR) + 2020 1st round pick (POR)


Second Trade: This is among Boston, Minnesota and Portland. Every team is getting the missing pieces of their rosters. Boston finally gets one of the top 10 centers in the league, but they should wait until the all-star break for Nurkic returning to full health. They don't bother sending Marcus Smart because newly drafted Carsen Edwards showed some sparks to be enough for backup PG role. From the perspective of Minnesota, this is a chance to bring another star-caliber player by sending the expiring contract of Jeff Teague along with a couple of picks.

Portland gets: Robert Covington (MIN) + 2020 1st round pick (BOS via MIL) + 2020 2nd round pick (BOS via ATL)

Minnesota gets: Marcus Smart (BOS)

Boston gets: Jusuf Nurkic (POR)


Third Trade:

Portland gets: Marvin Williams (CHA) + Devonte Graham (CHA)

Charlotte gets: Kent Bazemore (POR) + 2020 2nd round pick (POR via ATL)


As a result this is the depth chart of Portland:

Damian Lillard | Devonte Graham | Anfernee Simons
CJ McCollum | Rodney Hood | Gary Trent Jr.
Robert Covington | Mario Hezonja | Nassir Little
Marvin Williams | Anthony Tolliver | Jaylen Hoard
Andre Drummond | Zach Collins | Skal Labissiere


I hate this roster and its worse than what we started with.
brianstorm
Ballboy
Posts: 3
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 27, 2019
   

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#151 » by brianstorm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:30 am

Jsun947 wrote:
brianstorm wrote:I'm thinking of 3 different trades to make Portland have depth and quality... and these make sense for each parties.

First Trade: It's between Detroit and Portland. Detroit is reportedly looking to rebuild and move Griffin away. Also I don't see Drummond is staying as his contract is expiring at the end of the season. (Another pick and unimportant assets can be added to trade to make it happen, but this should be enough I think)

Portland gets: Andre Drummond (DET)

Detroit gets: Hassan Whiteside (POR) + 2020 1st round pick (POR)


Second Trade: This is among Boston, Minnesota and Portland. Every team is getting the missing pieces of their rosters. Boston finally gets one of the top 10 centers in the league, but they should wait until the all-star break for Nurkic returning to full health. They don't bother sending Marcus Smart because newly drafted Carsen Edwards showed some sparks to be enough for backup PG role. From the perspective of Minnesota, this is a chance to bring another star-caliber player by sending the expiring contract of Jeff Teague along with a couple of picks.

Portland gets: Robert Covington (MIN) + 2020 1st round pick (BOS via MIL) + 2020 2nd round pick (BOS via ATL)

Minnesota gets: Marcus Smart (BOS)

Boston gets: Jusuf Nurkic (POR)


Third Trade:

Portland gets: Marvin Williams (CHA) + Devonte Graham (CHA)

Charlotte gets: Kent Bazemore (POR) + 2020 2nd round pick (POR via ATL)


As a result this is the depth chart of Portland:

Damian Lillard | Devonte Graham | Anfernee Simons
CJ McCollum | Rodney Hood | Gary Trent Jr.
Robert Covington | Mario Hezonja | Nassir Little
Marvin Williams | Anthony Tolliver | Jaylen Hoard
Andre Drummond | Zach Collins | Skal Labissiere


I hate this roster and its worse than what we started with.


You may hate but I don't think it's worse.

Drummond > Whiteside
Hood + Covington > Hood
Marvin + Collins > Collins
Graham > Nothing
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,461
And1: 2,949
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#152 » by Fischella » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:14 am

The Blazers need to add solid players, there are some out there, the depth of this team is really bad, with Juka out you have 7 proven NBA players, and a couple of them are kinda trending terribly wrong, you can't seriously expect scrubs like Hezonja, Skal or Little to play major minutes for this team, I like Trent and Simons but not sure if they are ready either, even if you count on Zach to take a leap and Nurkic coming back+flipping Whiteside+youngsters for a guy, you need more

I don't really get why mainstream media is selling the Blazers as an off-season winner
User avatar
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 5,060
And1: 139
Joined: Feb 12, 2005
Location: Istanbul

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#153 » by Curtis Lemansky » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
BigLurch92 wrote:What would you guys say is our depth chart as of today?


Dame/Simons/CJ
CJ/Bazemore/Simons
Hood/Bazemore/Hezonja
Zach/Hezonja/Tolliver
Whiteside/Zach/Skal

maybe

pretty thin in some spots


I think Skal might actually make a jump and become the back up at 4/5. He puts up stats whenever he is given opportunity, dont know about his contributions to actual winning though.
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
HoopsFanAZ
Pro Prospect
Posts: 777
And1: 132
Joined: Jun 16, 2008

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#154 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:34 pm

Statement: Portland doesn't have enough depth and/or quality depth.
Question: Throughout or where?

Portland currently has 13 players + 2-way Hoard. Minus Nurkic until early 2020.

Lillard PG 34 minutes / McCollum SG 34 minutes / Collins PF 30 minutes -- his high of 17.6 is not envisioned, this is a big jump and he can do it / Whiteside C 30 minutes (he's played 29 and 32 before Miami cut him back, recently)

AVAILABLE MINUTES
14 PG minutes -- Simons. Done
14 SG minutes -- Simons? More likely Bazemore a 6'5 long, SG 14 minutes
48 SF minutes -- Hood 31 minutes and Bazemore 17 minutes
36 PF minutes -- (12 minutes of Collins at PF) ? ? ?
18 C minutes -- Collins 18 minutes; ZC may end up with these as he's the best, current big behind Whiteside

Current PF candidates for 36 minutes -- Tolliver: proven backup 16-22 minutes / Labissiere / Hezonja
I'm not going with Little (not ready) or small ball Hood at 6'8 but not thick.

So ... the OBVIOUS candidate for #14 is getting a PF / PF-C / C who will effectively play backup for 14-20 minutes.

Player #15 -- could be a wait and see who can be snatched up for the minimum like Kanter.
BENCH or 3 piece suit -- Trent, Little

ANALYSIS
The roster is NOT deep at PG, but with the skills of Simons and CJ, I'm not concerned. Nice to have a solid, older vet for insurance.
The roster at SG and SF is better than it was. Not a ringing endorsement but a confident one.
The roster starters at PF and C -- I'm good with it. Better than Leonard (or Kanter) and Aminu starting.
The backups at PF and C? Tolliver takes some quality minutes (16-22 is his range, previously) with solid 3 point shooting. Labissiere? Hezonja? with as many as 20 minutes available at PF/C?

WHEN Nurkic gets back, depth at the bigs is COVERED. Prediction: If Whiteside gets shopped in February, it's for someone who can play alongside Collins and/or Nurkic.

CONCLUSIONS: The roster depth and quality is better than MOST teams. I've looked, and that's my conclusion/opinion. Olshey NEEDS to hit a line drive single with #14. Stretching it to a double is less necessary.
User avatar
Oden2
RealGM
Posts: 22,814
And1: 1,901
Joined: May 29, 2007
Location: Portland
   

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#155 » by Oden2 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Curtis Lemansky wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
BigLurch92 wrote:What would you guys say is our depth chart as of today?


Dame/Simons/CJ
CJ/Bazemore/Simons
Hood/Bazemore/Hezonja
Zach/Hezonja/Tolliver
Whiteside/Zach/Skal

maybe

pretty thin in some spots


I think Skal might actually make a jump and become the back up at 4/5. He puts up stats whenever he is given opportunity, dont know about his contributions to actual winning though.


Yes this is my hope. I think his ability to spread the floor and score in streaks could make him a nice asset off the bench next season. He could be about like Meyers which certainly doesn’t give us quality depth but at least it will be some production at the 4/5. Ideally he and/or little are good enough at the 4 to give ZCo enough minutes to play the backup 4. At this point ZCo is probably our best option to back up whiteside until nurk comes back
dunlop212
Junior
Posts: 344
And1: 41
Joined: Jun 22, 2008

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#156 » by dunlop212 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Can they move Little yet? He and Trent look like wasted roster spots on a win now team. If those guys could be moved for picks, that could open up some roster spots for vet minimum contracts, right?
User avatar
Oden2
RealGM
Posts: 22,814
And1: 1,901
Joined: May 29, 2007
Location: Portland
   

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#157 » by Oden2 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:48 pm

dunlop212 wrote:Can they move Little yet? He and Trent look like wasted roster spots on a win now team. If those guys could be moved for picks, that could open up some roster spots for vet minimum contracts, right?


They like Little a lot, I highly doubt they move him for some picks unless there's a good pick involved..
Goldbum
Starter
Posts: 2,348
And1: 206
Joined: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#158 » by Goldbum » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:57 pm

I agree with Oden2’s post above for the most part. I think we can play a lot of small ball throughout the regular season and when Nurkic comes back we are loaded. Originally I didn’t like the Tolliver pick up, I felt we needed a bigger bruiser style PF, but if you imagine them keeping Whiteside and Nurkic being back then it makes perfect sense. Collins at the 4 with Skal and Tolliver works as long as he’s not playing a ton of minutes at the five. Your not getting an impact guy for the minimum but maybe a guy like Bender, Howard, Farried ads a couple wins to the roster.
I'm a stranger in a strange land.
If you ever see a 6'8" white dude running around SLC with a big Blazers tattoo on his right arm... Say whats up.
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 18,371
And1: 703
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#159 » by d-train » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:03 am

Little has a long time to show what he can do.
Image
Jsun947
Analyst
Posts: 3,275
And1: 312
Joined: Jan 02, 2007

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#160 » by Jsun947 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:26 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Statement: Portland doesn't have enough depth and/or quality depth.
Question: Throughout or where?

Portland currently has 13 players + 2-way Hoard. Minus Nurkic until early 2020.

Lillard PG 34 minutes / McCollum SG 34 minutes / Collins PF 30 minutes -- his high of 17.6 is not envisioned, this is a big jump and he can do it / Whiteside C 30 minutes (he's played 29 and 32 before Miami cut him back, recently)

AVAILABLE MINUTES
14 PG minutes -- Simons. Done
14 SG minutes -- Simons? More likely Bazemore a 6'5 long, SG 14 minutes
48 SF minutes -- Hood 31 minutes and Bazemore 17 minutes
36 PF minutes -- (12 minutes of Collins at PF) ? ? ?
18 C minutes -- Collins 18 minutes; ZC may end up with these as he's the best, current big behind Whiteside

Current PF candidates for 36 minutes -- Tolliver: proven backup 16-22 minutes / Labissiere / Hezonja
I'm not going with Little (not ready) or small ball Hood at 6'8 but not thick.

So ... the OBVIOUS candidate for #14 is getting a PF / PF-C / C who will effectively play backup for 14-20 minutes.

Player #15 -- could be a wait and see who can be snatched up for the minimum like Kanter.
BENCH or 3 piece suit -- Trent, Little

ANALYSIS
The roster is NOT deep at PG, but with the skills of Simons and CJ, I'm not concerned. Nice to have a solid, older vet for insurance.
The roster at SG and SF is better than it was. Not a ringing endorsement but a confident one.
The roster starters at PF and C -- I'm good with it. Better than Leonard (or Kanter) and Aminu starting.
The backups at PF and C? Tolliver takes some quality minutes (16-22 is his range, previously) with solid 3 point shooting. Labissiere? Hezonja? with as many as 20 minutes available at PF/C?

WHEN Nurkic gets back, depth at the bigs is COVERED. Prediction: If Whiteside gets shopped in February, it's for someone who can play alongside Collins and/or Nurkic.

CONCLUSIONS: The roster depth and quality is better than MOST teams. I've looked, and that's my conclusion/opinion. Olshey NEEDS to hit a line drive single with #14. Stretching it to a double is less necessary.


I'm not convinced that Simons is ready for NBA minutes. I'm not convinced that Hood is a rotation starter on a quality NBA team for a full season. I'm not convinced that Collins can stay out of foul trouble enough to play 30 minutes. The only depth position I'm happy with is SG.

I don't think any of these rotations will cause us to miss the playoffs but our ceiling is low and if Lillard, CJ, Collins, or Whiteside (pre Nurk return) goes down for extended time we're completely screwed. Even losing Hood or Bazemore might be a catastrophe.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers