Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Smitty731
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 23,770

Western Conference Summer League Chatter 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:32 am

Hey All!

As I do annually, I emptied out the notebook and recorder from Summer League. Here is everything from the Western Conference teams:

https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/255028/2019-Western-Conference-Offseason-Chatter-From-Summer-League

Enjoy!

Smitty
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 3,044

Re: Western Conference Summer League Chatter 

Post#2 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:38 am

Portland Trail Blazers

Team executive on the absence of a traditional power forward: “It stands out, right? But we think Zach Collins can be that guy for us. He’s got the range. He can do a lot defensively. And we have Hassan Whiteside behind him if he gets beat on the perimeter. Will we keep looking? Sure, but we never stop looking.”
On Anfernee Simons’ potential: “There was a reason we told teams to stop asking about him in trades. You want to see second-year guys dominate here (Summer League) and he did that. He’s been one of the best players here. The kid just works. Last year he was so young and in over his head, but he was never scared. That matters. The best part is that he fits with Dame (Lillard) or C.J. (McCollum) or both at the same time. We’re fortunate to have him. And we think we hit again late on Nassir Little too. He’s going to be very good too.”
On working around Jusuf Nurkic being out: “We have a lot of depth now. We think Hassan Whiteside will be an excellent fit in our system and will give us a lot of what we lose while Nurk is out. In addition, we have Zach (Collins) and we added Anthony Tolliver. Those two guys can also play some center for us too and will give us different looks. We’ve got enough to get by.”
On taking the next step: “It’s something we start every offseason planning session: How do we get better? We went further with this group than ever last year, but still fell a little short. We don’t view that as failure or anything, but our guys are hungrier now. They were close. The conference is wide-open. What excites me is instead of asking ‘Why not us?’ our guys flat say ‘It’s our time.’ and that’s what you want to hear.”

“It’s our time."

I like it. Not sure its true but I like it.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

Post#3 » by zzaj » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:54 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Portland Trail Blazers

Team executive on the absence of a traditional power forward: “It stands out, right? But we think Zach Collins can be that guy for us. He’s got the range. He can do a lot defensively. And we have Hassan Whiteside behind him if he gets beat on the perimeter. Will we keep looking? Sure, but we never stop looking.”
On Anfernee Simons’ potential: “There was a reason we told teams to stop asking about him in trades. You want to see second-year guys dominate here (Summer League) and he did that. He’s been one of the best players here. The kid just works. Last year he was so young and in over his head, but he was never scared. That matters. The best part is that he fits with Dame (Lillard) or C.J. (McCollum) or both at the same time. We’re fortunate to have him. And we think we hit again late on Nassir Little too. He’s going to be very good too.”
On working around Jusuf Nurkic being out: “We have a lot of depth now. We think Hassan Whiteside will be an excellent fit in our system and will give us a lot of what we lose while Nurk is out. In addition, we have Zach (Collins) and we added Anthony Tolliver. Those two guys can also play some center for us too and will give us different looks. We’ve got enough to get by.”
On taking the next step: “It’s something we start every offseason planning session: How do we get better? We went further with this group than ever last year, but still fell a little short. We don’t view that as failure or anything, but our guys are hungrier now. They were close. The conference is wide-open. What excites me is instead of asking ‘Why not us?’ our guys flat say ‘It’s our time.’ and that’s what you want to hear.”

“It’s our time."

This whole thing screams Olshey, but the bolded part basically confirms it. It may be a bit of hyperbole on his part, but if he really made Simons untouchable then he should be fired...a classic case of falling in love with your own guys. Same as he's done with CJ...
BNM
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,538

Post#4 » by BNM » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:03 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Portland Trail Blazers

“It’s our time."

I agree 100% the time is now. Which is why I want to see Neil go all in at the trade deadline. He managed to consolidate Moe and Meyers into Whiteside's huge expiring contract and turned Turner into Bazemore's larger expiring deal. Those two big expiring deals, combined with young cheap players and draft picks, could be huge for teams looking to blow it up and hit the reset button.

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but two of those teams that aren't going anywhere are DET and MIN. Both have pieces that could make us true title contenders (Blake Griffin and Robert Covington) that are on long term deals. Both are too old to be part of a rebuild. fF we can get one, or ideally both, we would be legitimate title contenders for the next three years of Dame's prime.

Neil has put the foundation in place now he just needs to have the balls to get the final two pieces. Which he can do without giving up any of our core players, or our two best young guys (Collins and Simons). Do it Neil!!!! As you say, our time is now!!!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers