Re: OT: The 2019 Oregon Ducks/Oregon State Beavers football thread 

Post#2 » by PDXKnight » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:25 pm

Dang ducks!
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#3 » by monopoman » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:24 am

Well after a very disappointing first game of the season, The Ducks ran over Nevada and made it look easy. Hopefully we can end up a 1 loss team all said and done that would prob get us into the playoffs unless Auburn has a horrible season.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#4 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:42 pm

monopoman wrote:Well after a very disappointing first game of the season, The Ducks ran over Nevada and made it look easy. Hopefully we can end up a 1 loss team all said and done that would prob get us into the playoffs unless Auburn has a horrible season.

I'm a big Duck fan and probably a homer, but my expectations for this season have never included a playoff berth. The Ducks need a high octane offense and they don't have one, mainly because in order to have that kind of offense you need premier (all-conference at minimum) skill position players at RB and WR. They have none. Verdell and Dye are above average backs, but they aren't anywhere close to the level of LMJ or Rueben Drones or Maurice Morris or Royce Freeman. And they have no WR's who are going to force a defense into double coverage. That lack of high level skill puts too much burden of Herbert

besides that, Oregon has road games at Stanford, USC, and Washington; meanwhile, Leach and WSU have had Oregon's number lately and Cal isn't a pushover anymore. Too tough a schedule to run the table
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#5 » by Soulyss » Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:04 pm

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#6 » by PDXKnight » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Soulyss wrote:Image

When were they ever good in the last 8 seasons? I’d like to see them be more competitive against the pac 12 and the ducks
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#7 » by Soulyss » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:11 am

Oden2 wrote:
Soulyss wrote:Image

When were they ever good in the last 8 seasons? I’d like to see them be more competitive against the pac 12 and the ducks

Last good seasons for the Beavers were 2012 & 2013, both were bowl teams and one team went 9-4. I think Beaver fans have realistic expectations about being a middle of the road bowl team some years, with an occasional stinker or two and an occasional great season. Last 6 years have been tough.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#8 » by Sinobas » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Oregon State is an embarassment to the pac-12, year in and year out they get destroyed by no name teams. They should go down to Division II or get kicked out of the conference.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#9 » by Sinobas » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:49 pm

California has passed a bill that will allow college athletes to profit from their affiliation with the team. This is quite a massive game-changer. The obvious issue, is the unfair recruiting advantage it would give to schools within california. The NCAA is threatening to disallow californian teams from participating in ncaa athletics if the bill is not vetoed.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#10 » by PDXKnight » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Sinobas wrote:Oregon State is an embarassment to the pac-12, year in and year out they get destroyed by no name teams. They should go down to Division II or get kicked out of the conference.

Only having one Oregon team in the pac would be super destructive for the state long term. We don’t want to go down that road..
monopoman
RealGM

Post#11 » by monopoman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:46 am

Very nice victory tonight, felt really good to go into Stanford and give them a taste of their own medicine. The Oregon D was stifling to Stanford and really made it very difficult to get anything going.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#12 » by dunlop212 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:17 pm

They have a problem with the offense where they run an RPO where the QB never runs the ball. This doesn't protect the QB because it results in 2nd and 3rd and long plays where he gets sacked too often.

I assume that they will figure it out. I remember a game against Stanford where Darron Thomas ran the ball on almost every down on the first drive. Oregon ended up beating them soundly. The point is that you don't have to do it all game.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#13 » by JasonStern » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:38 am

It's ironic how Wizenheimer wasn't big on Herbert early on because he didn't enroll in spring in order to play baseball his senior year of high school, yet that exact mentality is why he is playing a fourth year at Oregon instead of playing in the NFL.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#14 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:03 pm

JasonStern wrote:It's ironic how Wizenheimer wasn't big on Herbert early on because he didn't enroll in spring in order to play baseball his senior year of high school, yet that exact mentality is why he is playing a fourth year at Oregon instead of playing in the NFL.

you're trolling again. I know you've spent years hammering your brain cells with your personal happy hours, but your memory can't be that bad yet. Mine is, but then I started my happy hours before you were born, so I have a big head start on personal destruction. Of course, I started with more than you did, but life ain't fair

I will say I was a little disappointed with Herbert last season. I expected a little better efficiency from him. But he seems to have put it together this year and is playing like a top-5 QB

he'd be putting up video game numbers if Oregon actually had some high level WR's and RB's like the Ducks use to have every year. I mean, Darron Thomas was handing the ball off to RB's like LMJ, Kenyon Barner, and DeAnthony Thomas while throwing to WR's like Jeff Maehl, Josh Huff, DAT, & Lavasier Tuinei. Mariota got to hand off to Barner, DAT, Byron Marshall, Royce Freeman and Thomas Tyner and had WR's like Huff, Marshall, DAT, Dwayne Stafford, Bralon Addison, Devon Allen, Darren Carrington, Charles Nelson, & Keanon Lowe; he also had TE's Like Pharoh Brown and Colt Lyerla.

meanwhile, Herbert is handing off to Verdell & Dye and no defense really worries about RB's of that caliber. Not only that, those guys, especially Verdell, almost consistently run past open gaps on their way to 1 yard runs in crowds. And Herbert just hasn't had the recieveing targets past Oregon QB's have had. Not even close. He's had Dillon Mitchell and this year he has Breeland. Opposing LB's and safeties don't hesitate in their assignments because Oregon's RB's don't threaten defenses and Oregon's WR's can be single-covered. If the Ducks had LMJ and LeGarret Blount as RB's instead of Verdell & Dye, DAT and Charles Nelson/Addison as sweep and screen threats, and Maehl, Stafford, and Carrington as WR's, Herbert would be a lock for the Heisman
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#16 » by JasonStern » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Over halfway through the season and the Beavers are 2nd in the Pac12 North. Who would have guessed?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
monopoman
RealGM

Post#17 » by monopoman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:22 am

JasonStern wrote:Over halfway through the season and the Beavers are 2nd in the Pac12 North. Who would have guessed?

Pretty sad when the 2nd best team in the Pac-12 North has a 2-2 conference record. Outside of Oregon this looks like one of the weakest Pac-12 North's in a very long time.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#18 » by dunlop212 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:41 pm

Listening to all the scenarios that put Oregon in the final four (where they would be a four seed and get killed in the first round), I had an odd thought. Oregon probably improves its chances at a Rose Bowl berth by losing at USC this weekend.

If USC and Utah win out, USC wins the South. Oregon sleepwalks its way to the North title and then has a much more winnable title game.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,832

Post#19 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:17 am

JasonStern wrote:Over halfway through the season and the Beavers are 2nd in the Pac12 North. Who would have guessed?

CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

Return to Portland Trail Blazers