ImageImage

Bobby Jones in the HOF

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Bobby Jones in the HOF 

Post#1 » by d-train » Sat Sep 7, 2019 6:42 pm

Is anyone as shocked as I am to see Bobby Jones in the HOF? I was a Bobby Jones fan. Similar to how I am a fan of Bazemore and Aminu. I appreciate good smart hardworking blue collar basketball players that carve out a niche in the NBA as players that know how to help a team win. But, I don't expect this type of player to be in the HOF. Their lack of fame is what was noteworthy.

I don't get what makes a player worthy of HOF recognition. Rasheed Wallace and Bobby Dandridge aren't in the HOF but Bobby Jones is. I don't get it.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Re: Bobby Jones in the HOF 

Post#2 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Sep 8, 2019 1:37 am

well deserved

9 straight years on the 1st team all-NBA defense
d-train
RealGM

Post#3 » by d-train » Sun Sep 8, 2019 3:14 am

bob2
Senior
And1: 80

Post#4 » by bob2 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:19 am

He won 13 Majors.
He deserves to be in the HOF.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#5 » by PDX MM » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:07 pm

bob2 wrote:He won 13 Majors.
He deserves to be in the HOF.

I sense sarcasm but on the chance this isn't there are two different Bobby Jones in play here, a golfer and a basketball player.
d-train
RealGM

Post#6 » by d-train » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:49 pm

For those that never saw Bobby Jones play, just think of Zach Collins. You couldn't name 2 different players as similar as these 2 guys. Obviously, Collins has a long way to go to rival Jones's career. But, Jones proves if Blazers can get David Thompson, Dan Issel, Julius Erving, and Moses Malone, then Collins can be a HOF'er.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#7 » by Pattycakes » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:13 am

d-train wrote:For those that never saw Bobby Jones play, just think of Zach Collins. You couldn't name 2 different players as similar as these 2 guys. Obviously, Collins has a long way to go to rival Jones's career. But, Jones proves if Blazers can get David Thompson, Dan Issel, Julius Erving, and Moses Malone, then Collins can be a HOF'er.

What exactly does that mean besides someone who hustles a lot and shoots too much but really can’t shoot?
d-train
RealGM

Post#8 » by d-train » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
d-train wrote:For those that never saw Bobby Jones play, just think of Zach Collins. You couldn't name 2 different players as similar as these 2 guys. Obviously, Collins has a long way to go to rival Jones's career. But, Jones proves if Blazers can get David Thompson, Dan Issel, Julius Erving, and Moses Malone, then Collins can be a HOF'er.

What exactly does that mean besides someone who hustles a lot and shoots too much but really can’t shoot?

Are you asking why I compare Collins to Jones, or why I don't believe Jones should be a HOF'er?
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Bobby Jones 

Post#9 » by Najee12 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:37 pm

I remember Bobby Jones playing in college (the University of North Carolina), the ABA and the NBA. Jones was a top defender (nine times first team All-Defensive teams, eight in the NBA) who could provide some quality offense. A five-time all-star (four times in the NBA), Jones became a top-tier sixth man when Philadelphia acquired Moses Malone (he was NBA Sixth Man of the Year in 1982-83, the first player to win the award). As a collegiate player, Jones was an all-American who was a member of the ill-fated 1972 Olympic team that lost to Russia.

I don't see the comparison between Jones and Zach Collins. Jones was more like a more offensively efficient version of Robert Covington. If I recall, Jones' teams played in the playoffs every season. As for his Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame induction, keep in mind he got elected some 33 years after his final NBA game by the Veterans Committee, meaning Jones was not some slam-dunk induction and in itself invites debate on his induction.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous

Return to Portland Trail Blazers