ImageImage

we need another F or F/C ASAP

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Re: we need another F or F/C ASAP 

Post#61 » by Epicurus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:20 pm

Since the Wolves are not really using him, Vonleh could come cheaply, I suspect. He has proven to be a rebound vacuum and last year he was decent with three pointers. For a wide body 6'9" pluser he offers defensive versatility. He also knows the system and was a positive contributor to the culture.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#62 » by VCfor3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:00 am

I don't see it happening, but would a trade with Memphis make sense if we could come to terms on value?

Crowder+Iggy+JV for Bazemore+Whiteside+incentive

JV would be your starting center until Nurk comes back and then would move to the bench to feast on opposing backup centers. Crowder gives you additional forward depth. Iggy would mainly be for the playoffs but could cover some of the backup minutes Bazemore used to play. You guys also reduce your salary for the year.

My problem though is trying to figure out what value makes sense for Memphis to pull the trigger while not being too much for you guys. I have a hard time seeing Portland willing to give up much while Memphis may have an unreasonably high asking price if they think Iggy alone is worth a 1st (he isn't).

Crowder+Iggy for Whiteside+2020 protected 1st feels maybe fair as long as the protections are decent for Portland. Adding in a JV/Bazemore swap would take additional value but I'm not sure what. Gary Trent and slightly better protections on the pick? An addition 1st that is very heavily protected? Nassir Little? A 2nd? Simmons and Collins are understandably off the table in such a deal. Memphis has minor incentives available if needed to balance a deal (2nds, Bruno Caboclo as a young-ish PF). There also is a chance Portland wouldn't see JV as positive value on his contract and would be hesitant to give up much beyond just Bazemore for him.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#63 » by Goldbum » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:13 am

VCfor3 wrote:I don't see it happening, but would a trade with Memphis make sense if we could come to terms on value?

JV would be your starting center until Nurk comes back and then would move to the bench to feast on opposing backup centers. Crowder gives you additional forward depth. Iggy would mainly be for the playoffs but could cover some of the backup minutes Bazemore used to play. You guys also reduce your salary for the year.

My problem though is trying to figure out what value makes sense for Memphis to pull the trigger while not being too much for you guys. I have a hard time seeing Portland willing to give up much while Memphis may have an unreasonably high asking price if they think Iggy alone is worth a 1st (he isn't).

Crowder+Iggy for Whiteside+2020 protected 1st feels maybe fair as long as the protections are decent for Portland. Adding in a JV/Bazemore swap would take additional value but I'm not sure what. Gary Trent and slightly better protections on the pick? An addition 1st that is very heavily protected? Nassir Little? A 2nd? Simmons and Collins are understandably off the table in such a deal. Memphis has minor incentives available if needed to balance a deal (2nds, Bruno Caboclo as a young-ish PF). There also is a chance Portland wouldn't see JV as positive value on his contract and would be hesitant to give up much beyond just Bazemore for him.

JV isn’t really a positive value I would likely want to include a Tolliver and the most I would incentivize with would be a 2nd. It’s not terrible, just the expirings should be enough.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#64 » by VCfor3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:32 am

Goldbum wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I don't see it happening, but would a trade with Memphis make sense if we could come to terms on value?

JV isn’t really a positive value I would likely want to include a Tolliver and the most I would incentivize with would be a 2nd. It’s not terrible, just the expirings should be enough.

Including Tolliver and making it a 3 for 3 deal is fine. Saves you guys a few extra bucks. The problem would be that Memphis sees JV as a positive so would want something for including him. For Portland, I can't see you guys moving Whiteside without some sort of center coming back which is why I included JV but I may be mistaken.

If the only incentive you guys are offering is a 2nd in any potential deal then I think Memphis would only offer Iggy for Bazemore+2nd, but I don't think that moves the needle for you enough to pull the trigger.

There is also the possibility of waiting till Nurk is back and then doing a Whiteside+Tolliver+protected 1st for Crowder+Iggy (I think Memphis would require a 1st even if it is heavily protected to move both Crowder and Iggy) if you guys are clearly in the playoff picture and want to make a move for this year. That assumes you strike out on some of your other preferred targets though.

Appreciate the response. Was just kinda wondering how you felt about Memphis's vets as a possible roster-balancing maneuver and this helped.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#65 » by d-train » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:20 am

There really aren't so many problems as you think. If you value Iggy so much, keep him, problem solved. If you value JV, keep him, problem solved. Frankly, I wouldn't give you a hot penny for JV on his contract. If you want to trade Crowder, maybe we can help you with your problem. I would trade Hood for Crowder but I believe that swap fails the CBA test by around $500k. Maybe you can add some incentive that makes the deal work.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#66 » by kpt » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:06 pm

I am curious your guys’ take on Blake Griffin or Andre Drummond to fill your void at bigs? What would you give for either
d-train
RealGM

Post#67 » by d-train » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:48 pm

kpt wrote:I am curious your guys’ take on Blake Griffin or Andre Drummond to fill your void at bigs? What would you give for either

Some here like the idea of trading for Blake. I would say the answer is no, Blazers would not be interested in a trade for Blake or Drummond. The primary reason I believe this is the team has a chance to get team salary below the tax threshold next year while at the same time improving the team by adding full MLE and BAE free agents. A trade for Blake, Love, or Aldridge would blow up team payroll without increases the team's chance to win a championship.

Nobody knows how the Blazers will manage payroll going forward. Olshey has hinted Paul Allen was willing to spend money even if it didn't make good business sense. I don't believe Olshey would advocate this type of spending to the new owner.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#68 » by zaymon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:53 pm

What you guys think about
Cj + Simons= Gordon + Ross
You are on the clock with Dame and Simons is a luxury who wont win you any playoff games right now. You make your team a lot bigger, Ross is a very big and underrated defender, he is a deadly shooter, but on our team he has no space. With Dame he will thrive offensively while being above average defender. Gordon will give you point of attack defensive stopper on a great contract. He is stubborn with his midrange fadeaways but i think Lillard will show him his role.
We get great offensive player who can dominate the ball until Fultz emerges and young prospect who fits with our timeline unlike yours.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
d-train
RealGM

Post#69 » by d-train » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 pm

zaymon wrote:What you guys think about
Cj + Simons= Gordon + Ross
You are on the clock with Dame and Simons is a luxury who wont win you any playoff games right now. You make your team a lot bigger, Ross is a very big and underrated defender, he is a deadly shooter, but on our team he has no space. With Dame he will thrive offensively while being above average defender. Gordon will give you point of attack defensive stopper on a great contract. He is stubborn with his midrange fadeaways but i think Lillard will show him his role.
We get great offensive player who can dominate the ball until Fultz emerges and young prospect who fits with our timeline unlike yours.

I doubt we would trade anything for the players you are offering. Zero chance we would trade the players you are asking for. The only player on your team we would want is Isaac. I would guess we wouldn't want Bamba, but who knows. Blazers aren't afraid to take a chance on young players that bomb out elsewhere if it's someone they like.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#70 » by Matt800 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:47 pm

I wonder if we could swap CJ and Gordon Hayward? Portland would get a bigger wing who might compliment Lillard better. Boston gets a solid scorer who tends to play better in the playoffs.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#71 » by Norm2953 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Trading with Boston is always a thankless task much like trading with Detroit. They would ask for a healthy Nurk instead of taking on 4 years of CJs extension.
d-train
RealGM

Post#72 » by d-train » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Matt800 wrote:I wonder if we could swap CJ and Gordon Hayward? Portland would get a bigger wing who might compliment Lillard better. Boston gets a solid scorer who tends to play better in the playoffs.

We could, Celtics would love that deal. Of course, Blazers wouldn't trade CJ for Hayward.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#73 » by Matt800 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 pm

d-train wrote:
Matt800 wrote:I wonder if we could swap CJ and Gordon Hayward? Portland would get a bigger wing who might compliment Lillard better. Boston gets a solid scorer who tends to play better in the playoffs.

We could, Celtics would love that deal. Of course, Blazers wouldn't trade CJ for Hayward.

I think CJ is underrated, he seems to have a good game for the playoffs, and has not missed many games to injuries other than his first year.

But I could see something like that trade making more sense than most CJ trades.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#74 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:27 pm

CJ stats

PER: regular season 17.1....playoffs 15.9
TS%: regular season .550....playoffs .532
points/shot: regular season 1.18....playoffs 1.15
assist rate: regular season 16.5%....playoffs 13.1%
winshares/48: regular season .105....playoffs .061
box plus/minus: regular season +0.2....playoffs -0.3

all this after teams repeatedly sell out to stop Dame leaving CJ single-covered.
d-train
RealGM

Post#75 » by d-train » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:41 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

CJ stats

all this after teams repeatedly sell out to stop Dame leaving CJ single-covered.

Teams don't sell out to stop Lillard. Every player is single-covered or semi-uncovered until they get the ball. The defense played against Lillard is standard NBA defense. Any player with the ball penetrating into the paint will draw help defense. Good playmakers use help-rotation to exploit defenses.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#76 » by Epicurus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:06 am

d-train wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

CJ stats

Teams don't sell out to stop Lillard. Every player is single-covered or semi-uncovered until they get the ball. The defense played against Lillard is standard NBA defense. Any player with the ball penetrating into the paint will draw help defense. Good playmakers use help-rotation to exploit defenses.
Partially true,but the defensive double teams on Lillard occur often prior to any penetration by him. The opponents risk that Portland can't beat them 4 on 3, or that Lillard will even not attempt to beat his 2 on 1. The alleged change to a better shooting roster was to increase this risk for the opponents. Thusfar that has not worked.
d-train
RealGM

Post#77 » by d-train » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:30 am

Epicurus wrote:
d-train wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
CJ stats

Partially true,but the defensive double teams on Lillard occur often prior to any penetration by him. The opponents risk that Portland can't beat them 4 on 3, or that Lillard will even not attempt to beat his 2 on 1. The alleged change to a better shooting roster was to increase this risk for the opponents. Thusfar that has not worked.

I have never seen Lillard double teamed before he makes his move to penetrate. That would be terrible defense. You must be confusing a double on Lillard with a pick-n-roll defense strategy. Depending on who the pick-man is, teams will cheat off of bad offensive players. The only time you will see a double team before a player commits to dribble is as an alternative strategy to defend a particularly strong lowpost scorer. I say alternative because it's more normal to wait until the player's 1st dribble.

I don't believe we have an equal comparison between our shooters this year and last year. Whiteside was introduced into the offense at the same time and because of this our offensive flow hasn't been good. We are still making adjustments because of new players, injuries, and the addition of Melo to cover for injuries.

Edit: You also might be referring to a situation where a defender is cheating off a poor offensive player because of bad floor spacing. This would be unusual because poor spacing is a error by a player on offense not forced by the defense.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers