ImageImage

2019-20 Tank Thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Re: 2019-20 Tank Thread 

Post#21 » by JasonStern » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:05 am

Sure, laugh at me for wanting to draft Ionescu, but the Ducks have as many wins at Moda as the Blazers do this season.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#22 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:04 am

JasonStern wrote:Sure, laugh at me for wanting to draft Ionescu, but the Ducks have as many wins at Moda as the Blazers do this season.

lol...good one. You haven't lost your touch even while busy murdering brain cells
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#23 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:39 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
This should be a fire Olshey thread, not tanking thread.

I mean, what could he realistically done better?

Everyone was excited on the ET for Kent deal. Everyone was excited for the Harkless / Meyers for Whiteside deal. The Hood contract seemed like a steal. The vet min guys looked decent, and what can you expect for vet min.

We literally had no way to resign Kanter or Curry due to cap law.

We did the best with what we had. I thought Neil did a decent job getting out of his 2016 mess. It just doesn't look like enough in a stacked west.

Two vet min guys that were popular around here were Jeff Green and Noah Vonleh. I think we would be doing much better with them rather than Mario and Tolliver. Not to mention the ghost of Pau.

I'm not going on hate o. Olshey tooucj for what's happening right now.... But yes, Vonleh would be nice, as would still having Layman.

Tolliver.was always a stupid signing.

I thought Hezonja was a little bit better than this. He's awful.

The Bazemore deal is still a good one.

The Whiteside deal is probably neutral. I don't think this team would be looking any better starting Meyers Leonard at center while still having Harkless.

Pau now looks like a dumb signing. We needed more immediate help than he can provide. But if he comes back and can give 15 solid minutes I'll understand the move.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#24 » by Sinobas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Our replacements are just, as a whole not replacing what we've lost. Baze is an upgrade over Turner, but he's the only individual upgrade. Kanter was better for this team than Whiteside. We'd probably be better off in the short term if we had retained Kanter rather than Hood. Rodney has been having a pretty good season so far, but Kanter had chemistry with Lillard.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#25 » by Village Idiot » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:57 pm

It was awesome that Little started and performed so well. I love the energy and D. If we're going to such let's throw the kids into the pool and let them swim.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#26 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
This should be a fire Olshey thread, not tanking thread.

I mean, what could he realistically done better?

Everyone was excited on the ET for Kent deal. Everyone was excited for the Harkless / Meyers for Whiteside deal. The Hood contract seemed like a steal. The vet min guys looked decent, and what can you expect for vet min.

We literally had no way to resign Kanter or Curry due to cap law.

We did the best with what we had. I thought Neil did a decent job getting out of his 2016 mess. It just doesn't look like enough in a stacked west.

Two vet min guys that were popular around here were Jeff Green and Noah Vonleh. I think we would be doing much better with them rather than Mario and Tolliver. Not to mention the ghost of Pau.

I'm not going on hate o. Olshey tooucj for what's happening right now.... But yes, Vonleh would be nice, as would still having Layman.

Tolliver.was always a stupid signing.

I thought Hezonja was a little bit better than this. He's awful.

The Bazemore deal is still a good one.

The Whiteside deal is probably neutral. I don't think this team would be looking any better starting Meyers Leonard at center while still having Harkless.

Pau now looks like a dumb signing. We needed more immediate help than he can provide. But if he comes back and can give 15 solid minutes I'll understand the move.

the 2019 Olshey was hamstrung by the 2016 Olshey. It locked him into lateral moves. The vet minimum signings of Tolliver, Hezonja, and Gasol have been a big bust so far

but the 2016 Olshey reappeared to give CJ a huge extension. The size of that extension was dumb. Pascal Siakam will be making the same money as CJ. Toronto got a much better deal
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#27 » by Epicurus » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:28 pm

I believe Vonleh was signed by Minn. after and for less than Tolliver by the Blazers. I guess the thinking is that the Blazers wanted a one-trick poney who would not challenge any bigs for playing time. Unfortunately, the one-trick poney can't do that trick anymore and has had to be on the court more than anyone, including him, would prefer, due to injuries. Unfortunately further, the rebounding skills of Vonleh, plus his ability to switch off onto smaller opponents, is sorely needed now by the Blazers. Money spent would have been better on a still young Vonleh than a washed up Tolliver.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#28 » by Norm2953 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:27 pm

It'd be interesting to see what the 2020 version of NO does...

The accountants with the Vulcans are going to see that $150 Million payroll and order the tax bill lowered
if the team is headed to the lottery. NO deiiberately set this team for the summer of 2020 and even the
contract for CJ is perhaps manageable when so many guys are getting huge extensions. The team does
have some options but it would be stupid to double down on 2019/20 for those expiring contracts are not
bring back AD or PG. Best to build the team around Dame/CJ, Simons, Little and a healhy Nurk and Collins.

Go out and get that 3D player who can handle the ball, shoot and play defense that has been missing since
Batum left.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#29 » by d-train » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:34 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It'd be interesting to see what the 2020 version of NO does...

The accountants with the Vulcans are going to see that $150 Million payroll and order the tax bill lowered
if the team is headed to the lottery. NO deiiberately set this team for the summer of 2020 and even the
contract for CJ is perhaps manageable when so many guys are getting huge extensions. The team does
have some options but it would be stupid to double down on 2019/20 for those expiring contracts are not
bring back AD or PG. Best to build the team around Dame/CJ, Simons, Little and a healhy Nurk and Collins.

Go out and get that 3D player who can handle the ball, shoot and play defense that has been missing since
Batum left.

The Blazers are in position to get below the tax threshold in 20-21 regardless of the teams success this season. We even have the option of cap room, although cap room is unlikely to be our best option. The objective isn't to lower payroll. The objective is to have the best possible options to build the best team.
MFisc
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#30 » by MFisc » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:58 am

Village Idiot wrote:It was awesome that Little started and performed so well. I love the energy and D. If we're going to such let's throw the kids into the pool and let them swim.

Amen ! :D

Return to Portland Trail Blazers