Game 14: Portland vs Houston 5:00pm SNW/NBATV

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Re: Game 14: Portland vs Houston 5:00pm SNW/NBATV 

Post#41 » by Matt800 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:43 am

d-train wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:You think they'll turn it around, or do the problems look to be too big. What you're describing seems like they may just be out of sync and/or unlucky right now which I would think could change.

Blazers will turn it around and win 50+ games again. We have had bad stretches every year and this is probably the worst, but our team will get back on track.

They weren't this bad but in 2017-2018 they were around .500 in early January 22W-21L. They won 49 games from there. If this team can be around .500 in January I could see them making the playoffs.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#42 » by GEE » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:02 am

This was a tough game. Rockets are on a hot streak right now, while we've been struggling. We were actually in this game for a half, but seemed to fold in the 2nd half. Nobody played particularly well in this one, and the officiating was probably the worst we've had so far. We simply got beat. Best thing to do now is have a short memory, and get ready for the next one.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#43 » by d-train » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:18 am

Matt800 wrote:
d-train wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:You think they'll turn it around, or do the problems look to be too big. What you're describing seems like they may just be out of sync and/or unlucky right now which I would think could change.

Blazers will turn it around and win 50+ games again. We have had bad stretches every year and this is probably the worst, but our team will get back on track.

They weren't this bad but in 2017-2018 they were around .500 in early January 22W-21L. They won 49 games from there. If this team can be around .500 in January I could see them making the playoffs.

I decided to look it up. Last year we had 2 overlapping stretches where we went 3W-11L's. Or, 1 stretch where we were 5W-10L's. Anyway, this isn't the first time the sky has fallen. People need to take a chill pill. Everything is under control, sort of. Blazers are on track for another 50+ season and the playoffs. The naysayers are running wild like they do every year. Don't let'em get you down.

Edit: The 2 overlapping stretches were 11 games each with 3w-8l record.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#44 » by Norm2953 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:25 am

This season is all about the upcoming trade deadline or next summer.

If NO was content to be a 5-6 seed, he would have kept most of last years team together (minus
Curry and Kanter). He rolled the dice on his expiring contract players hoping in a contract season
they would play over their heads but its not likely going to happen.

I do hope Portland can get something worthwhile for their expiring contracts for lets say they get
a protected FRP + something else for Bazemore. That would reduce the tax bill and offer the team
a free look at another player
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#45 » by d-train » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:45 am

Norm2953 wrote:This season is all about the upcoming trade deadline or next summer.

If NO was content to be a 5-6 seed, he would have kept most of last years team together (minus
Curry and Kanter). He rolled the dice on his expiring contract players hoping in a contract season

I do hope Portland can get something worthwhile for their expiring contracts for lets say they get
a protected FRP + something else for Bazemore. That would reduce the tax bill and offer the team

This doesn't make any sense. If we kept last years roster without Kanter and Curry, we would be in much worse shape than we are now. Right now, we are having a bad start but we have a talented big man. I'll take Whiteside over Aminu, Harkless, and Leonard. And, I'll take Bazemore over Turner. I'll also take Tolliver, Mario, and Little over Layman. None of that is even a close call.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,529

Post#46 » by zzaj » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:40 am

I came into tonight expecting a big loss because Houston does everything that Portland is poor at--defending the 3pt line, putting people on the FT line, and guarding the rim. That being said, kinda unusual to see a loss when the Blazers get a high-ish number of assists with 7 players in double figures.

Lillard looks like he might be playing through an injury. There were plenty of times tonight I expected to see his usual burst to get by his defender, but it never came. That'll only get worse since he's probably leading the league in minutes played.

Little was getting Aminu's shots tonight. That's what the Stotts offense looks like. On perimeter ball rotations, it'll almost always be the PF or SF open on the perimeter after 3 passes. The Blazers HAVE to have knock down shooters at the SF and PF positions. That's why guys like Danilo or Harris would be a good fit in a Blazer uniform.

Can anybody remember the last time the Blazers were a good fastbreak team? It hasn't been since Lillard was drafted, nor Roy before him. It has to be at least a decade, probably more like 15 years...same thing with lob plays. I've counted one actual lob play from Lillard so far this year. It won't work with Lillard because he uses quickness to get to the rim--so help defenses rarely ever actually have a chance to get over and help. And by the time Lillard is at the rim he's locked in on making a shot, not passing the ball. CJ should actually be better at this because he can freeze defenses, but he almost never attracts two defenders and he's a pretty average to bad passer anyway.

Stotts' system is predicated on shooters being able to knock down shots when they are open on the perimeter in order to create the correct spacing from opposing defenses. It's looking more and more like this collection of players isn't able to provide the kind of perimeter threat to make that effective.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how awful Westbrook's arrogance is for me to watch. I don't think there is a player I want to see lose more than him.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#47 » by Matt800 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:58 am

d-train wrote:
Matt800 wrote:
d-train wrote:Blazers will turn it around and win 50+ games again. We have had bad stretches every year and this is probably the worst, but our team will get back on track.

I decided to look it up. Last year we had 2 overlapping stretches where we went 3W-11L's. Or, 1 stretch where we were 5W-10L's. Anyway, this isn't the first time the sky has fallen. People need to take a chill pill. Everything is under control, sort of. Blazers are on track for another 50+ season and the playoffs. The naysayers are running wild like they do every year. Don't let'em get you down.

Edit: The 2 overlapping stretches were 11 games each with 3w-8l record.

Yeah I see the 5w-10l stretch. I think that's a fair comparison. That stretch was around the same level of competition, and amount of home games as this current season has been.

But last season they had already had stretches of 3 wins in a row and 4 wins in a row, which we haven't seen yet this season. They also had beaten several top teams already. The team with the best record Portland has beaten this season so far is Dallas. Lillard is also leading the league in minutes this season.

I think it's possible to get 50+ wins still, it would just take a lot going right for Portland. Probably starting with Gasol putting up his 16-17 season numbers of something like 12pts 8rb 3ast 1blk on 50% shooting. Add in Melo being at least decent, Nurkic/Collins coming back and able to play well, the young guys getting better over the season, and no one else getting hurt and yeah they can have a great rest of the season. But that is a lot going right. I could see enough of that happening for them to make the playoffs though.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#48 » by Norm2953 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 am

d-train wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:This season is all about the upcoming trade deadline or next summer.

This doesn't make any sense. If we kept last years roster without Kanter and Curry, we would be in much worse shape than we are now. Right now, we are having a bad start but we have a talented big man. I'll take Whiteside over Aminu, Harkless, and Leonard. And, I'll take Bazemore over Turner. I'll also take Tolliver, Mario, and Little over Layman. None of that is even a close call.

NO could have opted to sign Aminu to a new deal (Bird) and Hood and kept Harkless and Meyers.

That would have given Portland last years front court of Aminu, Harkless, Meyers and Hood to add to
Little

SF Harkless, Hood, Layman,
PF Aminu, Little
C Meyers, Skal
SG CJ, Simons
PG Dame, ET

If you look at stats elsewhere, Layman is averaging 10.5 ppg with Minnesota and believe or not Meyers
starts for Miami and is valued for his culture as opposed to Whiteside who we see plays at half speed
too much of the time. Bazemore/Turner is mostly a wash for but ET is a little bigger and can play
SF and is a smaller expiring contract. Portland is struggling due to a loss of continuity for they look
like that team after LA left but with massive contracts in Dame/CJ.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#49 » by monopoman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am

zzaj wrote:I came into tonight expecting a big loss because Houston does everything that Portland is poor at--defending the 3pt line, putting people on the FT line, and guarding the rim. That being said, kinda unusual to see a loss when the Blazers get a high-ish number of assists with 7 players in double figures.

Lillard looks like he might be playing through an injury. There were plenty of times tonight I expected to see his usual burst to get by his defender, but it never came. That'll only get worse since he's probably leading the league in minutes played.

Little was getting Aminu's shots tonight. That's what the Stotts offense looks like. On perimeter ball rotations, it'll almost always be the PF or SF open on the perimeter after 3 passes. The Blazers HAVE to have knock down shooters at the SF and PF positions. That's why guys like Danilo or Harris would be a good fit in a Blazer uniform.

Can anybody remember the last time the Blazers were a good fastbreak team? It hasn't been since Lillard was drafted, nor Roy before him. It has to be at least a decade, probably more like 15 years...same thing with lob plays. I've counted one actual lob play from Lillard so far this year. It won't work with Lillard because he uses quickness to get to the rim--so help defenses rarely ever actually have a chance to get over and help. And by the time Lillard is at the rim he's locked in on making a shot, not passing the ball. CJ should actually be better at this because he can freeze defenses, but he almost never attracts two defenders and he's a pretty average to bad passer anyway.

Stotts' system is predicated on shooters being able to knock down shots when they are open on the perimeter in order to create the correct spacing from opposing defenses. It's looking more and more like this collection of players isn't able to provide the kind of perimeter threat to make that effective.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how awful Westbrook's arrogance is for me to watch. I don't think there is a player I want to see lose more than him.

Don't worry odds are Westbrook will be losing sometime in the playoffs. He is a little bitch though I am blown away that douchebag actually has fans he is probably the most arrogant **** player in the NBA. I will be blown away if Houston makes the NBA Finals I think there are 2-3 teams in the west that have a better shot of making it over them.

I also think Westbrook is just happy to beat the team that literally ended his team so he kicks that arrogance up a notch against Portland.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#50 » by monopoman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:13 am

zzaj wrote:I came into tonight expecting a big loss because Houston does everything that Portland is poor at--defending the 3pt line, putting people on the FT line, and guarding the rim. That being said, kinda unusual to see a loss when the Blazers get a high-ish number of assists with 7 players in double figures.

Roy vastly preferred playing in the half court even when he would get the ball and the other team was slow getting back he would rarely push tempo. I think Lillard is the same way, now they may run on rare occasion but they rarely pass it up court and rarely look to run they both seem to prefer playing in the half court.

**** the last players I remember that really did look to push tempo were Batum and some of our former Spanish plays like Rudy Fernandez and Sergio.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,406

Post#51 » by Blazinaway » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Matt800 wrote:
d-train wrote:

I think the issue is, with the current roster, is whether we can stay anywhere cloe to a .500 record, I have severe doubts we can do that. I think it more likely our in late Jan our chances of making the playoffs are not looking good at all, hope I am wrong
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,529

Post#52 » by zzaj » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:47 pm

monopoman wrote:

Roy vastly preferred playing in the half court even when he would get the ball and the other team was slow getting back he would rarely push tempo. I think Lillard is the same way, now they may run on rare occasion but they rarely pass it up court and rarely look to run they both seem to prefer playing in the half court.

**** the last players I remember that really did look to push tempo were Batum and some of our former Spanish plays like Rudy Fernandez and Sergio.

I just looked it up...you have to go back to the '04-'05 season for the Blazers to be above 20th in fastbreak points. That year they were 9th. That also could be an anomaly because the year prior they were 20th...

I blame it on Ha.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#53 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:29 pm

I just looked it up...you have to go back to the '04-'05 season for the Blazers to be above 20th in fastbreak points. That year they were 9th. That also could be an anomaly because the year prior they were 20th...

That's an absolutely amazing stat. Wow.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers