ImageImage

Game 14: Portland vs Houston 5:00pm SNW/NBATV

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Game 14: Portland vs Houston 5:00pm SNW/NBATV 

Post#21 » by d-train » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:37 am

We are getting our ass kicked on the boards.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#22 » by Moonbeam » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:38 am

Man, Dame can't find a bucket these past 3 games.
d-train
RealGM

Post#23 » by d-train » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:40 am

Hood's defense is so lame
d-train
RealGM

Post#24 » by d-train » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:47 am

Blazers should throw in the towel. Rockets beat us in 3/4's of a game.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#25 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:48 am

4th quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#26 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:53 am

How many shots right at the basket did the Blazers miss tonight?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#27 » by Case2012 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:56 am

LILLARD TIME??
Instagram: @casetwelve
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#28 » by Ainosterhaspie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:59 am

Can someone explain to me what's going on with the Blazers this year. I've not paid much attention to them in recent years, but they've come to be a team I expect to always be around a fourth seed every year. Seeing them struggling so much is a surprise to me. What's the problem?
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#29 » by Case2012 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:13 am

Ainosterhaspie wrote:Can someone explain to me what's going on with the Blazers this year. I've not paid much attention to them in recent years, but they've come to be a team I expect to always be around a fourth seed every year. Seeing them struggling so much is a surprise to me. What's the problem?

The coaching is garbage, injuries, and weak bench.
Instagram: @casetwelve
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#30 » by Moonbeam » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:16 am

Ainosterhaspie wrote:Can someone explain to me what's going on with the Blazers this year. I've not paid much attention to them in recent years, but they've come to be a team I expect to always be around a fourth seed every year. Seeing them struggling so much is a surprise to me. What's the problem?

I think there are a few factors. One is that there is not a lot of continuity with outgoing players like Aminu, Harkless, and Kanter, and Curry as well as injuries to Nurkic and Collins. The players who have replaced them are either getting used to each other or simply struggling. Only Anfernee Simons has emerged as a bright spot. CJ has really struggled this year as well, though he has picked it up of late. However, his uptick has coincided with a slump from Lillard, who has shot 10-46 over the past 3 games after playing very well to start the season.

Add it up and Portland hasn't really looked good in a single game this year.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#31 » by Epicurus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:21 am

Bright note---Skal efficiently contributed--good shooting, offensive rebounding, and passing (two assists and Bazemore totally messeed up one more). Too bad another backup center does not exist, as Skal would do better without battling weightier bigs.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter

Post#32 » by Ainosterhaspie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:21 am

Case2012 wrote:

The coaching is garbage, injuries, and weak bench.

Coaching seems to be an odd complaint. He's been there for all their recent (regular season) success.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter

Post#33 » by Ainosterhaspie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:23 am

Moonbeam wrote:

I think there are a few factors. One is that there is not a lot of continuity with outgoing players like Aminu, Harkless, and Kanter, and Curry as well as injuries to Nurkic and Collins. The players who have replaced them are either getting used to each other or simply struggling. Only Anfernee Simons has emerged as a bright spot. CJ has really struggled this year as well, though he has picked it up of late. However, his uptick has coincided with a slump from Lillard, who has shot 10-46 over the past 3 games after playing very well to start the season.

You think they'll turn it around, or do the problems look to be too big. What you're describing seems like they may just be out of sync and/or unlucky right now which I would think could change.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#34 » by Epicurus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:24 am

Lillard had a bad game again. I don't know if he was worse offensively or defensively. I know that someone will point out his 11 assists with only four turnovers; but that point ignores the many times he failed to find the open man. Still waiting for lIllard and McCollum to put together a good scoring night, at least.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#35 » by PDXKnight » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:30 am

Yikes. Melo isn’t gonna help this team much I don’t think but it’s not like we will be worse
d-train
RealGM

Post#36 » by d-train » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:31 am

Epicurus wrote:Lillard had a bad game again. I don't know if he was worse offensively or defensively. I know that someone will point out his 11 assists with only four turnovers; but that point ignores the many times he failed to find the open man. Still waiting for lIllard and McCollum to put together a good scoring night, at least.

I saw some bad defense. Tonight is the worst effort of the year.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#37 » by Moonbeam » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:41 am

Ainosterhaspie wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:

You think they'll turn it around, or do the problems look to be too big. What you're describing seems like they may just be out of sync and/or unlucky right now which I would think could change.

Nurkic and Collins are out for a long time, so I think Portland will struggle to be a balanced team unless they make a trade. I do expect some better cohesion going forward, but they have the look of a .500 team to me at the moment.
d-train
RealGM

Post#38 » by d-train » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:10 am

Melo can help if he improves our ability to move the ball and get shooters open for better shots. The loss of Collins is really big because of his defense, but also because he could be our high post playmaker that could give Whiteside a chance to be closer to the basket. Our offense, defense, and rebounding would be better if we could fit Whiteside into a comfort zone closer to the basket. If Melo can be the high post playermaker we are missing, we could completely take Whiteside out of the playbook, which I think would benefit our offensive flow. Bad offensive flow is killing us. The bad effects contaminates everything.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#39 » by Matt800 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:19 am

Ainosterhaspie wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:

They need more defense and rebounding in their C/PF rotation. Also if they had more options off screens in that rotation, and/or 3 point shooting that would help a lot.

I think the biggest hope is Gasol, he could fit the need. But with him being ancient and injured it may not be enough. Carmelo and Little could also help but Carmelo isn't exactly known for defense, rebounding, or efficient 3s. And Little needs to get better. Or maybe Moses Brown somehow emerges as helpful. If I remember correctly guys were saying he improved really fast in the offseason, so it's possible.

They do have some time, but if we aren't seeing any improvement over the next 10 games, especially if Carmelo and Gasol aren't helping then I think it's really unrealistic that they'd turn it around. Especially because Lillard is having to work harder and it's unlikely to be sustainable. But it may take less wins to get into the playoffs this year, due to the increased number of decent teams. It may be only a few games over .500 which could be possible for POR if they find ways to improve.
d-train
RealGM

Post#40 » by d-train » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:24 am

Ainosterhaspie wrote:You think they'll turn it around, or do the problems look to be too big. What you're describing seems like they may just be out of sync and/or unlucky right now which I would think could change.

Blazers will turn it around and win 50+ games again. We have had bad stretches every year and this is probably the worst, but our team will get back on track.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers