ImageImage

Aldridge/Derozan

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Playr2BNamdLatr
Ballboy
And1: 3

Aldridge/Derozan 

Post#1 » by Playr2BNamdLatr » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:24 pm

With speculation of the spurs making some moves. Would either of these players be of interest to us? I think Derozan doesn't have favorable advanced stats. Cap implication of such a move from what I have read from other threads seems like potentially we wouldn't want to.

I feel LaMarcus for Whiteside would be exactly the type of move that helps right now. Thoughts?
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Aldridge/Derozan 

Post#2 » by d-train » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Playr2BNamdLatr wrote:I feel LaMarcus for Whiteside would be exactly the type of move that helps right now. Thoughts?

I doubt it. Blazers can resign Whiteside and Bazemore for almost half Aldridge's salary next year. And, we need Whiteside's skills more than what Aldridge brings. We can get what Aldridge does with the $9.9M MLE and $3.8M BAE. And, we do it under the tax threshold, which can't be done if we take on Aldridge's salary. It wouldn't be worth it for a player better than Aldridge.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#3 » by tester551 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:49 pm

d-train wrote:
Playr2BNamdLatr wrote:I feel LaMarcus for Whiteside would be exactly the type of move that helps right now. Thoughts?

I doubt it. Blazers can resign Whiteside and Bazemore for almost half Aldridge's salary next year. And, we need Whiteside's skills more than what Aldridge brings. We can get what Aldridge does with the $9.9M MLE and $3.8M BAE. And, we do it under the tax threshold, which can't be done if we take on Aldridge's salary. It wouldn't be worth it for a player better than Aldridge.

It's a miracle. For once I actually agree with d-train.
Playr2BNamdLatr
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Playr2BNamdLatr » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 pm

So are you under the impression that Whiteside and Nurk can play together? or does Nurk never returns to the player he once was?

Mind touching base on what you think 2020 off season looks like for Blazers? You see Blazers making the playoffs this season?
d-train
RealGM

Post#5 » by d-train » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:29 am

Playr2BNamdLatr wrote:So are you under the impression that Whiteside and Nurk can play together? or does Nurk never returns to the player he once was?

Mind touching base on what you think 2020 off season looks like for Blazers? You see Blazers making the playoffs this season?

Nurkic and Whiteside are 20-28 minute players. They can play on the same team but not together. Nurkic would be playing now and maybe helped us into the finals in last year's playoffs if his minutes didn't get out of hand.

Blazers will make the playoffs. In April nobody is going to care we got off to a slow start.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#6 » by Norm2953 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:48 am

Portland does need to build around Dame/CJ, Simons, Little, and a healthy Nurk and Collins.

How healthy Nurk and Collins will be and how long it takes for them to be fully back remains
to be seen and I'd likely go for the LA for Whiteside trade even up for he's signed through
next season and could very well opt to retire with Portland if traded back to Portland for
I'm skeptical we could get Whiteside and Bazemore for half of LA's contract for next season.
coming off a likely .500 season in Portland.

I'm hopeful we can spin one of the expiring contracts for something we could add to our above
core players. We should be fine moving forward for NO has setup this roster to get well below
the tax line if Whiteside, Bazemore and likely Hood leave next summer.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#7 » by Sinobas » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 am

I'd actually offer up CJ for either of them, just to get CJ off our books. You don't sped 30 mil per year to get what CJ brings.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,529

Post#8 » by zzaj » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:31 am

I don't think either is what Portland needs.

Aldridge is a poor rebounder (we've seen what that's like these past 20 games) and is suspect putting the ball on the floor. Derozan isn't a threat out at the 3pt line and that is essential for Lillard to have space. He does get to the FT line, however. I'd rather have Derozan than Aldridge...
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#9 » by PDXKnight » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:10 pm

Sinobas wrote:I'd actually offer up CJ for either of them, just to get CJ off our books. You don't sped 30 mil per year to get what CJ brings.

If I’m offering up cj I’d take a younger aaron Gordon over an old Aldridge
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#10 » by GEE » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Trading to get Aldridge and Derozen would be a sexy move, but I'm not certain it would add to more wins, or a better playoff run.The biggest factor for me is how well Whiteside plays going forward. If motivated, he provides exactly what Portland needs most, which is interior defense and shot blocking. Derozen and CJ are close to a wash IMO, both adding 20+ ppg.

I'm not a very patient person by nature, but I'm beginning to think that is what is most needed right now with Blazer fans. A motivated Whiteside is key, and to that point, so is a motivated Nurkic. Hopefully he is busting his ass to get healthy, and back on the floor. If we see him back at 75% or better around the AS break, I think we can turn this ship around. Not too worried about Collins in the motivation department. I think he'll be back as soon as humanly possible.If both can return before the playoffs, we should be solid with Melo, Whiteside, Nurkic, Skal and Collins.

Patience is the key.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#11 » by Norm2953 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:22 pm

This is going to be a PG rich draft, so a team like Orlando will simply draft one of the lottery PG's
instead of taking on CJ's contract.

At this point of his career, LA is on the decline but familiarity with both Dame/CJ and less years on
his deal makes him attractive for he's insurance for Zach's shoulder and certainly can make an
open shot. Offer the Spurs Whiteside even up for LA and see if they'll bite.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#12 » by DusterBuster » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:22 am

I would do Whiteside for Aldridge in a heartbeat.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#13 » by Waynearchetype » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:19 pm

If watching Whiteside occasionally mentally check out of a game frustrates you right now, wait til he is moved to the bench. He isn't a dude you want to rely on once Nurk gets back.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#14 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:53 pm

What about a deadline deal involving Aldridge, Gay, and Belinelli for Whiteside, Bazemore, and either Hezonja or Tolliver?

Lillard / Simons
McCollum / Belinelli / Trent
Hood / Gay / Hoard
Aldridge / Anthony / Little
Nurkic / Collins / Labisserie / Brown

I'd rather get Mills than Belinelli, but that would probably require giving up a couple of the young guys to make the additional $7 million in salary work.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#15 » by d-train » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:11 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:What about a deadline deal involving Aldridge, Gay, and Belinelli for Whiteside, Bazemore, and either Hezonja or Tolliver?

Lillard / Simons
Hood / Gay / Hoard

I'd rather get Mills than Belinelli, but that would probably require giving up a couple of the young guys to make the additional $7 million in salary work.

I'll pass on Aldridge and Belinelli, but I would take Rudy Gay. He would be the perfect upgrade to Hood. I wouldn't trade Whiteside for him and would rather not trade Bazemore, but Gay is better so you have to consider it.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#16 » by GEE » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:07 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:What about a deadline deal involving Aldridge, Gay, and Belinelli for Whiteside, Bazemore, and either Hezonja or Tolliver?

Lillard / Simons
Hood / Gay / Hoard

I'll admit I've thought of some bigger trades, like Derozen & LA, but to me, adding Gay to compete for minutes with Melo doesn't seem like a good idea. Like baking a cake, we'd be adding in different ingredients, Also, I'd rather have Baze than Belinelli, Don't care much about Tolliver, and I think Mario would thrive under POP.

I think Melo is going to give Whiteside just the motivation he needs... hopefully... I would also try to have Melo on the floor with him as much as possible. Who knows exactly when we'll get Nurkic back, what condition the big fella will be in, and how long it will take for him to get back to DOMINANCE?

To me less is more... I trust we'd get a highly motivated LA12, but would you want what LA adds to Melo/Dame and the Blazers, or do you want to take a chance on what a motivated Whiteside brings?
It's basically Offense or Defense. What do ya want? Really starting to think we just need Nurkic and ZC to get healthy asap.

Finally... Thinking Melo is more than welcome to stay on our Blazers, for years even, if he continues this transformation from Hoody Melo, to GURU Melo. The following potential lineup should worry most teams in the league, but this only matters IF Stotts continues to roll with the much improved, recent game planning and style of play that has been working so well.

Dame / Simons
CJ / Baze
Hood / Little
Melo / Collins
Whiteside / Nurkic / Skal

Deep bench: Trent / Mario / Tolliver / Moses
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#17 » by JasonStern » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:27 am

if the Spurs would take our trash for their talent, sure. but then it only takes one team to make a fair, respectable offer to spoil that.

DeRozan and Aldridge are solid players. no team would turn them down for free. so the question becomes what is everyone willing to give up for them? I have a feeling that as soon as Simons, Collins, Little, picks, etc. get mentioned, everyone is going to balk. and a tanking Spurs team has zero interest in Whiteside, Hood, Bazemore, etc.

"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#18 » by Norm2953 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:15 am

Miami spent 5 seasons trying to motivate Whiteside. If we could get LA for Whiteside, we do the deal
for he's signed through next season and we'd suddenly have two players on our front line who can
make an open shot when we had nobody who could do so three weeks ago. Likely he'd resign in
Portland (if Portland wanted him) and would slot in well alongside of Nurk and Collins in a nice
3 man big rotation.
d-train
RealGM

Post#19 » by d-train » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:26 am

JasonStern wrote:if the Spurs would take our trash for their talent, sure. but then it only takes one team to make a fair, respectable offer to spoil that.

DeRozan and Aldridge are solid players. no team would turn them down for free. so the question becomes what is everyone willing to give up for them? I have a feeling that as soon as Simons, Collins, Little, picks, etc. get mentioned, everyone is going to balk. and a tanking Spurs team has zero interest in Whiteside, Hood, Bazemore, etc.

A team's willingness to trade a player by definition is what determines if a player is trash. Team's don't trade players that aren't trash. The only possible exception is if a team is forced into trading a player they would otherwise want to keep. This exception isn't a situation that's easily triggered. Only in rare circumstances can a player force a team to trade. Usually, teams have more leverage to force their will upon the players.
d-train
RealGM

Post#20 » by d-train » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:33 am

Norm2953 wrote:Miami spent 5 seasons trying to motivate Whiteside. If we could get LA for Whiteside, we do the deal
for he's signed through next season and we'd suddenly have two players on our front line who can
make an open shot when we had nobody who could do so three weeks ago. Likely he'd resign in
Portland (if Portland wanted him) and would slot in well alongside of Nurk and Collins in a nice
3 man big rotation.

Heat could have traded Whiteside anytime they wanted. They didn't trade him until they had a chance to get Butler in a sign-and-trade that couldn't be done without purging Whiteside's contract. Your assertion is BS. The Heat happily enjoyed the great production Whiteside provided for 5 years.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers