ImageImage

Aldridge/Derozan

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Aldridge/Derozan 

Post#21 » by d-train » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:39 am

If for some reason Spurs decided to waive Aldridge, he would be a good backup for Melo. When Melo moves to SF, Aldridge could backup Collins.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#22 » by Norm2953 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:23 am

d-train wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Miami spent 5 seasons trying to motivate Whiteside. If we could get LA for Whiteside, we do the deal
for he's signed through next season and we'd suddenly have two players on our front line who can
make an open shot when we had nobody who could do so three weeks ago. Likely he'd resign in
Portland (if Portland wanted him) and would slot in well alongside of Nurk and Collins in a nice
3 man big rotation.

Heat could have traded Whiteside anytime they wanted. They didn't trade him until they had a chance to get Butler in a sign-and-trade that couldn't be done without purging Whiteside's contract. Your assertion is BS. The Heat happily enjoyed the great production Whiteside provided for 5 years.[/quote

C’mon now. Miami benched Whiteside for the very promising UK big that Portland worked out Bam Adebayo who is starting alongside of Meyers Leonard who the Heat want to resign. Whiteside at $29 million is not a contract most teams wanted. Just ask the Heat fans about Whiteside for if the guy had Meyers attitude, he’d be great
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#23 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:27 am

Maybe Melo talks DWade to come out of retirement and play 15-20 minutes a night on a vet minimum contract!!! Jamaal Crawford signs a vet minimum contract. The Blazers trade Whiteside for Love. Nurkic and Collins come back healthy.

Okay, I'm gonna stop taking my happy pills now.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#24 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Dec 2, 2019 7:54 pm

On the somewhat OT side, I am starting to like the idea of pursuing Iggy. I wouldn't give a FRP for him, but Kent + SRP's for Iggy could be a really nice move. Obviously he goes into another gear in the playoffs and is a great defender still, but his ballhandling actually would be a huge addition to our 2nd unit. Say Iggy for Kent, Trent Jr and a future SRP? I assume they get better offers though.
d-train
RealGM

Post#25 » by d-train » Mon Dec 2, 2019 8:57 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:...Say Iggy for Kent, Trent Jr and a future SRP? I assume they get better offers though.

I assume they have no offers better than a buyout or he would be traded.

First, we need to wait until after the trade deadline to see what's available. There might be better players available.

Second, we need more time to determine what we need. Iggy might or might not fill a need. 2 months ago nobody would've wanted Melo.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#26 » by DusterBuster » Mon Dec 2, 2019 9:21 pm

Yeah, my guess is all teams are going to play the waiting game with Iggy and the Grizz. It’s clear they have no intention of playing him, so they don’t have a ton of leverage as most teams will just wait it out until after they cut him post-deadline.

Similar to what happened with Kanter and NY last season.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#27 » by monopoman » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:00 am

I think Aldridge is a bit past his prime and have no desire to trade for him, if he wants to come in for a reasonable salary after his contract expires I could see that. I think Whiteside is a better player and most deals I see have us giving up Whiteside+incentive which is a joke. I am not super stoked to give up incentive+the better player just to get this guy back on a Blazer team.

Now if Whiteside+Nurkic causes tension once both are healthy, then sure I could see a deal made but I would rather go after a younger player that has room to grow.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#28 » by DusterBuster » Wed Dec 4, 2019 3:59 am

monopoman wrote:I think Aldridge is a bit past his prime and have no desire to trade for him, if he wants to come in for a reasonable salary after his contract expires I could see that. I think Whiteside is a better player and most deals I see have us giving up Whiteside+incentive which is a joke. I am not super stoked to give up incentive+the better player just to get this guy back on a Blazer team.

Now if Whiteside+Nurkic causes tension once both are healthy, then sure I could see a deal made but I would rather go after a younger player that has room to grow.

I’d do Whiteside for Aldridge, and maybe even consider mild incentive. I think he would play better on a team where he wouldn’t be a 1 or 2 anymore because as you mentioned, he’s starting to show his age.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
d-train
RealGM

Post#29 » by d-train » Wed Dec 4, 2019 4:43 am

DusterBuster wrote:
monopoman wrote:I think Aldridge is a bit past his prime and have no desire to trade for him, if he wants to come in for a reasonable salary after his contract expires I could see that. I think Whiteside is a better player and most deals I see have us giving up Whiteside+incentive which is a joke. I am not super stoked to give up incentive+the better player just to get this guy back on a Blazer team.

I’d do Whiteside for Aldridge, and maybe even consider mild incentive. I think he would play better on a team where he wouldn’t be a 1 or 2 anymore because as you mentioned, he’s starting to show his age.

Aldridge would disappear on a team that didn't feature him. Aldridge doesn't want to do the little things for his team.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#30 » by Showdown » Thu Dec 5, 2019 10:34 am

Aldridge is much better player than Whiteside , if he is available for Whiteside plus something Blazers should do it without hesitation.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#31 » by Norm2953 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 6:34 pm

LA is a player that will always be a better fit in the Stotts offense for Whiteside is a rim runner, a player
like Capela and DAJ before him which is a guy who can score only within 10 feet of the basket. I would
not offer much more than Whiteside + protected pick for LA.

I could see him transitioning into a backup 4/5 role for he'll do fine playing behind Nurk and Zach for there
is no telling how well either player will rehab from their 2019 injuries. Portland can then move Little to a
more suitable 3/4 role. The alternative would be to let Whiteside walk for he can only play the 5 and Nurk
is a far better fit with Dame/CJ. It would idiotic to expect Whiteside to accept a MLE offer from Portland
given Portland as a free agent destination.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#32 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Dec 6, 2019 5:43 pm

If Whiteside for Aldrdige is the best deal Portland can get, they should just let Whiteside's contract expire. That's especially true if it required a 1st round pick because this year's pick could easily be in the teens, and trading for Aldridge has the significant disincentive of almost certainly forcing Portland into the tax, for a 3rd straight season, next year. Aldridge is not worth losing a pick and another year of tax, with the repeater tax in the queue

besides all that, Portland was losing games over and over because of their terrible rebounding and poor perimeter defense. Whiteside for Aldridge makes Portland a much worse rebounding team, loses rim protection, and does nothing for perimeter defense. And we all know that Aldridge+Stotts=low-efficency-perimeter-shooting.

also:

2nd chance points (rank): Aldridge 2.9 (24th)....Whiteside 3.9 (6th) - (LMA would be more on the perimeter in Portland)
2nd chance points per 36 (rank): Aldridge 3.2....Whiteside 5.1
points in the paint (rank): Aldridge 7.7 (64th)....Whiteside 11.1 (12th)
points in the paint per 36: Aldridge 8.5....Whiteside 14.4

Off Reb Rate: Aldridge 6.5%....Whiteside 13.5%
Def Reb Rate: Aldridge 15.4%....Whiteside 32.3% (Bazemore 17.7%...Melo 15.7%)
Total Reb Rate: Aldridge 10.9%....Whiteside 23.1% (Little 11.9%...Bazemore 9.9%)
winshare/48: Aldridge .121....Whiteside .201
Box plus/minus: Aldridge 1.1....Whiteside 1.9

Damian Lillard actually outscores Aldridge in the paint (8.2 points), and this is while Popovich has Aldridge closer to the basket in his offense than where Stotts would have Aldridge. Whiteside gives Portland an offensive dimension inside they wouldn't have with Aldridge, and that dimension is pretty important for floor-stretching to a perimeter team like the Blazers. I think a trade like this would at best, be neutral on offense and defense, but be a definite downgrade on the glass and in the paint. Add in that Lillard really shines having an actual pick-n-roll partner; he is starting to develop that with Hassan. Dame and LMA would be just pick-n-pop over and over....yuck

I also think you need to look ahead. I question how good a mesh Nurkic and Aldrdige would be. The NBA has essentially evolved to the point that a twin towers pairing is obsolete. The Lakers are making it work, but AD is a generational talent and the combo of McGee and DH aren't asked to be involved in the offense much. Nurk + LMA has a high failure potential IMO

all that said, I wouldn't be real opposed to this trade as long as a 1st round pick wasn't part of it. That kills the deal for me
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#33 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:55 pm

woj says spurs are going into rebuild, now or in the summer

given the thread, i found this info interesting
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#34 » by Khazim » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:25 pm

I would love the idea of Whiteside/Bazmore/Trent/1st/2nd for Aldridge/Derozan. Not so sure SA would be interested in that though, lol. Neither player is a perfect fit, and defense could be an issue, but obviously would be a load of talent and the best semi-realistic idea I can come up with. Bazemore for Bogdan/Bjelica would be a nice dream too, but that seems even more unrealistic.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#35 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:56 pm

Honestly at this point in their careers you can make a good argument that Bogdan / Bjelica have more combined value than Aldridge / DeRozan.

I am tepid on LMA unless its very cheap. Our rebounding could bottom out and be easily the worst in this league if we move Hassan and don't get competent boarder back.
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#36 » by Khazim » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:47 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Honestly at this point in their careers you can make a good argument that Bogdan / Bjelica have more combined value than Aldridge / DeRozan.

I am tepid on LMA unless its very cheap. Our rebounding could bottom out and be easily the worst in this league if we move Hassan and don't get competent boarder back.

Nurkic coming back will be huge in that department. Luckily Skal is a pretty dang good rebounder too. If we could get LMA for a good price, I'd do it right now and take the hit until Nurk returns.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#37 » by Sinobas » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:05 am

The thing with LaMarcus, is that it's been said he wants to finish his career in Portland. I doubt there's a situation where we keep Whiteside after this year. LA/Collins/Nurk is a pretty good front court rotation.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#38 » by Norm2953 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:19 am

SA is going to want young assets if they are to move on from LA/Derozian. DD is likely headed elsewhere
but LA is a really good fit and perhaps Portland would send Whiteside, Little and a protected pick if they had
to.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#39 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:41 pm

I don't think LMA is worth essentially two FRP's. Let them test the market, I doubt another team would offer more than what we could on the low end (Hassan, heavily protected FRP). Still, his rebounding numbers terrify me and it is valid that his bread-and-butter is the least efficient shot in the game.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#40 » by Showdown » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Honestly at this point in their careers you can make a good argument that Bogdan / Bjelica have more combined value than Aldridge / DeRozan.

Bogdan is more valuable than Derozan but Aldridge is more valuable than both Bogdan and Bjelica . He is valuable because he already played with Lillard and CJ and because he can play both pf and c. If price is too high then Blazers should go for someone else but if price is reasonable then he is better option than Love or keeping Whiteside.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers