ImageImage

OT: Blacks in Portland

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

OT: Blacks in Portland 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:09 am

Mark Spears on the Zach Lowe podcast said he's having a story coming out about blacks in Boston. He did a similar one a couple of years ago about Utah, how black players coped there.

But he said a similar story could be written about Portland. Said there was a thriving black community in Portland at one time but they were zoned out fo parts of the city, couldn't get loans to build or expand businesses and over time the black community withered.

Spears also said that Ahmad Rashad told him about his days at UO, when there was some kind of a Ducks tour around the state and he couldn't go on it because there were some places where he would not be welcome.

Be interesting to see if potential free agents are aware of this history and are hesitant to entertain signing with the team, as they are with a team like Utah.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: OT: Blacks in Portland 

Post#2 » by d-train » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:37 am

I'm not aware of the "no blacks allowed" zoning. Banks are willing to make money off any race of people. And, banks aren't willing to lose money to favor any race of people. Unless, the government steps in and requires banks to consider race. Then, banks would consider the mandate a cost of doing business that has to be made up with increased profits from higher rates and stricter lending standards to the rest of their customers.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#3 » by Masterfully » Sat Dec 7, 2019 7:08 am

It wasn’t banks doing the discriminating. I believe it was neighborhood committees. The intent was to keep property values up by only allowing the “right” sorts of people to live in certain parts of town. This was a real thing. While most neighborhoods abandoned the practice a long time ago there have been news stories lately about the discriminating verbiage remaining in certain neighborhood’s CC&Rs. They are starting to remove them.

I’m sure Portland was guilty of this, just like every other metro area.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#4 » by ebott » Sat Dec 7, 2019 7:33 am

Van Port. Flood yo
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#5 » by d-train » Sat Dec 7, 2019 9:09 am

Masterfully wrote:It wasn’t banks doing the discriminating. I believe it was neighborhood committees. The intent was to keep property values up by only allowing the “right” sorts of people to live in certain parts of town. This was a real thing. While most neighborhoods abandoned the practice a long time ago there have been news stories lately about the discriminating verbiage remaining in certain neighborhood’s CC&Rs. They are starting to remove them.

I’m sure Portland was guilty of this, just like every other metro area.

I've never heard of neighborhood committees. Are you referring to neighborhood associations? My experience only goes back to the late 80's/early 90's. AFAIK, neighborhood associations have no say in who lives in their neighborhood. Mainly, neighborhood associations (in Portland) are involved in big building projects and business licensing. Their power is very limited. The city bureaucracy decides on a issue by issue basis whether to give the will of these associations any consideration.

It is certainly possible a small minority number of these associations can be controlled by people with racist beliefs. They have no power to infect public policy with racism. That power is held by elected officials and bureaucrats.

CC&R's can be as old as our oldest neighborhoods. I would shocked if they aren't full of racism. CC&R's aren't enforced by local government. They are civil matters enforced in civil courts. No court is going to enforce a CC&R that is inconsistent with law or against public policy. AFIK, racism is against the law.
Nonstop
Pro Prospect
And1: 294

Post#6 » by Nonstop » Sat Dec 7, 2019 1:44 pm

d-train wrote:I'm not aware of the "no blacks allowed" zoning.

You got a lot to learn about the ugly truth to our home state then. Research Vanport, redlining, the lash law, possum toss, and Dr Denorval Unthank trying to get a house in westmoreland for starters

Although a lot of the stuff has to do with the history of the state, the smell still lingers as evident with inner N/NE being bleached of basically any black trace over the past 20 years

Here’s a few articles to get you started

When Portland banned blacks: Oregon’s shameful history as an ‘all-white’ state - The Washington Post

The Racist History of Portland, the Whitest City in America - The Atlantic
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#7 » by NatiboyB » Sat Dec 7, 2019 2:55 pm

My ex wife lives there in Beaverton and she always says how she rarely sees people of color..and she is almost always one of the few. She’s native btw. But I have never heard of Oregon having a large black population just like Salt Lake City,
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#8 » by DoItALL9 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:34 pm

Nonstop wrote:

You got a lot to learn about the ugly truth to our home state then. Research Vanport, redlining, the lash law, possum toss, and Dr Denorval Unthank trying to get a house in westmoreland for starters

Although a lot of the stuff has to do with the history of the state, the smell still lingers as evident with inner N/NE being bleached of basically any black trace over the past 20 years

When Portland banned blacks: Oregon’s shameful history as an ‘all-white’ state - The Washington Post

Thanks for sharing that Atlantic article

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#9 » by Yadadimean » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:53 pm

Nonstop wrote:

Yep. Was just about to ask how people still dont know about redlining.

Also that dame and mozzy track slap mayne. My favorite one on the whole album.
Signature
Nonstop
Pro Prospect
And1: 294

Post#10 » by Nonstop » Sat Dec 7, 2019 8:47 pm

Yadadimean wrote:Also that dame and mozzy track slap mayne. My favorite one on the whole album.

Preciate that bro... I did 5 on the original album plus both the Shaq disses it’s hard for me to pick a favorite lol.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#11 » by PDXKnight » Sat Dec 7, 2019 10:19 pm

What’s the proper word here? Blacks, black people or African Americans? I honestly don’t know but the word blacks seems kinda not pc for some reason
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#12 » by monopoman » Sun Dec 8, 2019 12:07 am

Oregon was originally envisioned as a state just for white people. Now obviously these days that isn't what most in Portland, OR think, but it doesn't change what this state was made for wayyyy back.

I also would not be surprised to find some communities in smaller towns in Oregon that are not welcoming to people of other races. This state is extremely conservative and the main reason democrats keep winning here overall is that Portland, OR votes for Democrats in a huge majority and thus the state stays Blue.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#13 » by Goldbum » Sun Dec 8, 2019 3:14 am

Honestly I live in SLC and it’s way worse. Not only the African American population but all people of color except Polynesians. I was stunned by the near just under the surface racial tension here. 70% of my sales staff is Non Caucasian and I actually had a Regional Director ask me why? Seriously...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
blazersbucs40
Rookie
And1: 43

Post#14 » by blazersbucs40 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:36 am

People from SF and LA that put celebrate diversity stickers on the Toyota prius have bought up all the houses raising costs up pushing blacks and others out of town.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#15 » by Pattycakes » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Grew up on Lombard and went to Boise Eliot/tubman, hipsters absolutely gentrified this city overnight its not even close to the same place. Their man buns are only the least trashy effect. This is all highly legit.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#16 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:37 pm

So the hipsters and the CA transplants pushed black people out?

Oregon does have a history of racism, does it not?

A couple of years ago there was a racially motivated stabbing on the subway or train?
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#17 » by magee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Oregon was one of the last states to abolish slavery.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#18 » by Pattycakes » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:38 am

wco81 wrote:So the hipsters and the CA transplants pushed black people out?

Oregon does have a history of racism, does it not?

A couple of years ago there was a racially motivated stabbing on the subway or train?

I can confirm an extreme correlation.. like the people with bumper stickers about saving the world. Oh the ironing

Return to Portland Trail Blazers