ImageImage

With Hood out and Melo working out...is it Crawford time?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Do you approve of a Crawford signing?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 19

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

With Hood out and Melo working out...is it Crawford time? 

Post#1 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:58 am

With Hood out now does Portland take the chance on Crawford? They'd likely get tons of vet brownie points if that's worth anything and could use his creation. Would you want him on the roster?
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Re: With Hood out and Melo working out...is it Crawford time? 

Post#2 » by Matt800 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:10 am

I'm not sure he's a great fit. I think Portland would benefit from a 3 and D wing player with size. They generally need better defense. Someone like Aminu or Harkless would be nice...
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#3 » by JasonStern » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 pm

only if Stotts makes him play point guard.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#4 » by deanwoof » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Iman Shumpert just got waived.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#5 » by d-train » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:34 am

We need a replacement for Hood but Crawford isn't the right man. Actually, he would be a good replacement for Hood. The problem with that is Hood's skillset wasn't ideal. I want a high energy competitor that defends. Another Bazemore type would be perfect.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#6 » by JasonStern » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:50 am

"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#7 » by d-train » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:03 am

JasonStern wrote:Blazers could always trade for Gordon Hayward...

https://sports.theonion.com/gordon-hayward-confident-he-still-has-his-most-gruesome-1840398194

I like Hayward. The problem is his salary. We are keeping Lillard, CJ, Collins, and Nurk. It will be tough to resign Collins and add a 2nd max player to our supermax player. Collins won't be cheap.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,526

Post#8 » by zzaj » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:34 pm

Even with upside, it’s going to take more than 9/4/2 with almost 4 turnovers per game for Zach to get a huge payday.

Crawford? I’d rather give the time to Little and play Hoard more in Little’s place.

JC might actually win a couple games though if he gets hot...
d-train
RealGM

Post#9 » by d-train » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:16 pm

zzaj wrote:Even with upside, it’s going to take more than 9/4/2 with almost 4 turnovers per game for Zach to get a huge payday.

Crawford? I’d rather give the time to Little and play Hoard more in Little’s place.

Zach is going to get a huge payday. The deal would be between $15-20M/year if Blazers had to sign him today. It could be more by the time he is signed.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#10 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:08 pm

zzaj wrote:Even with upside, it’s going to take more than 9/4/2 with almost 4 turnovers per game for Zach to get a huge payday.

I think you confused fouls with turnovers? he averaged 2 turnovers. But yeah, Collins became prematurely overrated to a level only slightly lower than Simons. Simons at least has flashed some potential this season. Collins didn't really have the opportunity, at least not this season. But he has played in 166 NBA games, so it's getting harder to pretend he hasn't had opportunities to establish his game. But some of the hype around both of those players has been ridiculous, and Olshey has been the main architect of that hype.

yeah, I don't think guys like Crawford or Shumpert are going to help in any significant way. They simply aren't good enough to make a difference. Now that would fit with most of the current Blazers. Few of them are talented enough to make a difference. I mean, Melo's media attention has been way out-sized compared to his impact:

* Melo has a TS% of .507. That's pretty bad. How bad?...last season Turner has a TS% of .504. The difference is, in terms of team impact, Melo has a usage rate of 24% and is taking 15 shots a game. Turner's usage rate was 16% and he took 6 shots a game; and Turner had a higher FT rate. When a player has that bad of shooting efficiency, you want him taking 6 shots instead of 15

(by the way, last season, Portland had 4 players who had a TS% under 51% and they combined to average 14 shots a game. This season, Portland has 8 players with a TS% under 51% and they are combining to average 41 shots a game. Last season, Portland was 9th in TS% (.568); this season they are 19th (.555). Remember when Olshey assured everybody this team had better shooting and was going to be able to "space the floor" better than last year's team?)

* some other numbers that tend to show Melo's impact (and by extension the impact of a Crawford or Shumpert) along with some from last season:

rebound rate:

(Al-Farouq Aminu 14.2)
Mario Hezonja 13.3
Nassir Little 11.7
(Evan Turner 10.9)
(Maurice Harkless 10.1)

Anthony Tolliver 9.8
Carmelo Anthony 9.5
Kent Bazemore 9.2
Zach Collins 7.1

(notice that 4 of those guys are this season's PF's. That goes a long way in explaining this: last year, Portland led the league in offensive rebounding rate; this season they are 24th. Last season, Portland was 9th in defensive rebounding rate; this season, they are 25th)

assist rate:

Hassan Whiteside 7.9
Mario Hezonja 7.2
Rodney Hood 7.2
Carmelo Anthony 6.4

...really? Whiteside is better at passing than Hezonja (the guy who was supposed to be the point-forward replacing Turner), Hood, and Melo? No wonder that Portland has dropped from 25th to 29th in assists

winshares/48:

8 Nassir Little .056
9 Zach Collins .052
10 Anfernee Simons .044
11 Gary Trent .037
12 Mario Hezonja .020
13 Carmelo Anthony .013
14 Kent Bazemore .008
15 Anthony Tolliver -0.001

box plus/minus:

6 CJ McCollum -0.6
7 Nassir Little -2.3
8 Kent Bazemore -2.5
9 Zach Collins -3.0
10 Anfernee Simons -3.4
11 Gary Trent -3.5
12 Anthony Tolliver -3.7
13 Mario Hezonja -4.2
14 Carmelo Anthony -4.5

last season, Portland had 9 players with a positive BPM. This season they have 3

the point of all that being is there really any reason to think that guys available for signing right now are going to have an impact greater than several of the scrubs Portland trots out, game after game? I agree...give the minutes to Little and Hoard and quit trying to salvage the season on the cheap
d-train
RealGM

Post#11 » by d-train » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:24 pm

The $2.85M disabled player exception might help us get a better player than Hood after the post trade deadline waived players hit the market. Especially, if that $2.85M can be offered without proration.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#12 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:49 pm

give the minutes to Little and Hoard and quit trying to salvage the season on the cheap

We need Gary Trent JR to get more minutes too. Honestly, he should just snag all of Kent's minutes. Baze is who he is, a guy who should be getting 12-15mpg on a good team to provide energy. But he is reckless as hell, gambling and hurting the team as much as he helps. Trent Jr can actually provide consistent spacing and is just as young as Simons, Hoard and close to Little. He probably doesn't pan out be he needs run.
d-train
RealGM

Post#13 » by d-train » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Someone should compile a list of veterans on expiring contracts playing for lottery teams that are in early stages of rebuilding. It should be a lengthy list this year. These are the post trade deadline waived player candidates.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,390

Post#14 » by JRoy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Was hoping for a”Good God, Nooo!” Option
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#15 » by Wickzki » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:06 pm

d-train wrote:Someone should compile a list of veterans on expiring contracts playing for lottery teams that are in early stages of rebuilding. It should be a lengthy list this year. These are the post trade deadline waived player candidates.

Just went down on the Hoopshype salary list. Some of these guys might not be with the team - I didn't take the time to check - so some may be bought out already (e.g. teams are at least paying these guys).

Atlanta -- Parsons, Turner, Crabbe, Len, Carter

New York -- Morris

Cleveland -- Thompson, Knight, Clarkson, Henson, Delly

Washington -- Mahinmi, Miles, Bertans, Thomas, McRae, Simmons

Chicago -- Asik

Golden State -- Burks, Cauley-Stein, Robinson, Chriss

New Orleans -- Favors, Moore, Okafor

Memphis -- Iguodala, Hill, Plumlee, Crowder, Jackson

Minnesota -- Teague, Vonleh, Napier, Graham, Bell

Phoenix -- Johnson, Baynes
d-train
RealGM

Post#16 » by d-train » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:25 am

Wickzki wrote:
d-train wrote:Someone should compile a list of veterans on expiring contracts playing for lottery teams that are in early stages of rebuilding. It should be a lengthy list this year. These are the post trade deadline waived player candidates.

Just went down on the Hoopshype salary list. Some of these guys might not be with the team - I didn't take the time to check - so some may be bought out already (e.g. teams are at least paying these guys).

Atlanta -- Parsons, Turner, Crabbe, Len, Carter

New York -- Morris

Cleveland -- Thompson, Knight, Clarkson, Henson, Delly

Washington -- Mahinmi, Miles, Bertans, Thomas, McRae, Simmons

Chicago -- Asik

Golden State -- Burks, Cauley-Stein, Robinson, Chriss

New Orleans -- Favors, Moore, Okafor

Memphis -- Iguodala, Hill, Plumlee, Crowder, Jackson

Minnesota -- Teague, Vonleh, Napier, Graham, Bell

Phoenix -- Johnson, Baynes

Some of these players could be buyout candidates. Favors, Crowder, and Baynes would be great but I don't believe they will be bought out. Either their team's would want to keep them or it would be easy to trade them. Pelicans probably want to resign Favors in free agency. I would love for the Blazers to get Iggy, Morris, or Moore. I also wouldn't mind getting Turner back.

Edit: Crabbe is probably a buyout candidate, but I'm not sure he does anything we need.
d-train
RealGM

Post#17 » by d-train » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 am

Gallo might be a buyout candidate, especially if CP3 is traded. The problem with OKC buying out Gallo is what do they say to CP3 if they do that. I don't see how they buyout Gallo and keep CP3. Keeping Gallo is probably the cost of doing business if you can't trade CP3.

Edit: It would be bad for Blazers, but OKC should trade CP3 to Minnesota.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#18 » by Myth » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:39 am

I'd kind of like to see Portland go for Jeff Green. He was who I thought we should have went for instead of Tolliver.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#19 » by Soulyss » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:28 pm

Crawford is done, the season is bad enough already.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers