Trade Thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Re: Trade Thread 

Post#81 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:01 pm

This is my new weekly hope, with some recency bias regarding Whiteside:

1) Trade Hood, Simons and a protected pick for Covington - Win now move to build a defensive identify to flank the offense of Damian.
2) Trade the Hood Exception for Jevon Carter - Pesky defender and a true PG that fell out of Suns rotation.
3) Resign Melo to MLE, 2 years w/ TO on year 2.
4) Resign Whiteside to 3 years / 30M - He has a tepid market and accepts a backup role (Again, somewhat idealistic hope)
5) Draft combo guard Theo Maledon R1 (Defensive combo guard) and Nick Richards R2 (3rd string center)
6) Lose Skal to a team that overpays, he would be stuck w/ 3rd stringer minutes regardless.

G - Damian Lillard / Jevon Carter / Theo Maledon
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr / Theo Maledon
F - Robert Covington / Trevor Ariza / Nassir Little
F - Zach Collins / Carmelo Anthony / Wenyen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Hassan Whiteside / Nick Richards
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#82 » by Village Idiot » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:02 pm

I like Covington as the target but see something without Whiteside.

Simons, Hood, Hezonja and a lottery protected 1st for Covington
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#83 » by Matt800 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:33 pm

Hood has a contract where he has to agree to any trade. I dont think he would, unless it's some super ideal situation where the other team agrees to buy him out and he can resign with portland. Not even sure that's possible.

But I think there are trade possibilities without including whiteside.

Collins, Hezonja, 1st for Derrick Rose.

Collins, Hezonja, 1st for Bertans.

I dont think Portland will trade Collins but either of those would give a strong team for if por is in the playoffs this season.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#84 » by Village Idiot » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:35 pm

I value Collins alone higher than either Rose or Bertans.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#85 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Feb 2, 2020 9:00 pm

Ya, I wouldn't deal Zach for Rose or Bertans. Adding a FRP is pretty nuts. Neither play both sides of the floor.

Zach and Melo should be a great ying / yang once Collins is healthy. I like a 50/50 minute split there.

I would deal Simons 1,000 times before I traded Zach. When I look at a guy, I value what I believe they will bring in the playoffs above everything. I don't see the one-dimensional Simons ever really toughing it out once the elbows start flying in the playoffs. Zach on the other hand showed veteran toughness in the playoffs.

Great minds lol. This is exactly the deal I want. If MIN doesn't wanna pay the sack of poop that is Mario, the trade works w/o him too.

The best way to milk our guards is to surround them with a Center rotation that can protect the rim and rebound at a high level and guards / forwards that are versatile defenders that can shoot the 3. A bench scorer is needed too. We have a lot of the ingredients, RoCo would be the final piece IMO. No guarantee that the mix has that chemistry that gets them to play above their talent like that Dallas team in 2011 did, but it would be a group of guys that could come close IMO.
Matt800
Rookie

Post#86 » by Matt800 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 10:31 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, I wouldn't deal Zach for Rose or Bertans. Adding a FRP is pretty nuts. Neither play both sides of the floor.

Zach and Melo should be a great ying / yang once Collins is healthy. I like a 50/50 minute split there.

I would deal Simons 1,000 times before I traded Zach. When I look at a guy, I value what I believe they will bring in the playoffs above everything. I don't see the one-dimensional Simons ever really toughing it out once the elbows start flying in the playoffs. Zach on the other hand showed veteran toughness in the playoffs.

Great minds lol. This is exactly the deal I want. If MIN doesn't wanna pay the sack of poop that is Mario, the trade works w/o him too.

The best way to milk our guards is to surround them with a Center rotation that can protect the rim and rebound at a high level and guards / forwards that are versatile defenders that can shoot the 3. A bench scorer is needed too. We have a lot of the ingredients, RoCo would be the final piece IMO. No guarantee that the mix has that chemistry that gets them to play above their talent like that Dallas team in 2011 did, but it would be a group of guys that could come close IMO.

I like Collins but both Rose and Bertans would make the team much better this season, especially because Collins is not playing and if he takes the general recovery time for a torn labrum of 6 months he is back in May. But Olshey said he doesn't plan to make trades to gamble on this season so it's unlikely.

And Hood trades are extremely unlikely because he has to approve any trade he is in. But yeah that would be a nice trade for Covington.
Matt800
Rookie

Post#87 » by Matt800 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 8:55 am

According to a Quick article, Whiteside said he wants to stay in Portland beyond this season, he thinks he could play well with Nurkic highlighting the various ways he has played with Carmelo and Skal. He said one of his main things is he wants to be on one team for a long time. He bought a house in Portland and hopes to stay.

Whiteside also says Ariza has made a huge difference.
“Do you remember the last time we played Utah?” Hassan Whiteside asked Saturday. “I would go for the block and Gobert would get the (offensive) rebounds. Now, it’s different. We’ve got size. Trevor is unbelievable. He’s smart. He doesn’t take bad shots. He knows how to run out for easy dunks. He’s the definition of a 3 & D guy. This is a great lineup.”

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/2/2/21119171/dont-break-up-the-band-portland-trail-blazers-tear-nba-trade-deadline
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#88 » by Pattycakes » Mon Feb 3, 2020 7:37 pm

A motivated Whiteside is worth having, in tandem with Nurk that’s potentially unstoppable - let’s build
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#89 » by Roy The Natural » Mon Feb 3, 2020 9:07 pm

Pattycakes wrote:A motivated Whiteside is worth having, in tandem with Nurk that’s potentially unstoppable - let’s build

It's also a potential disaster. If Nurkic was playable along side another true center, he'd be in Denver still. He's not.

It's a terrible fit that will likely blow up in Portlands face. Whiteside needs to go in the off-season. At the latest. What Portland should do is Whiteside + incentive for Covington+Dieng. Dieng is actually a solid defender, and best at the 5, but capable of getting minutes at the 4 as well. We all know what Covington brings. That's aove thatakes Portland SIGNIFIGANTLY better than keeping Whiteside.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#90 » by Waynearchetype » Mon Feb 3, 2020 9:07 pm

Theres no way they play alongside each other.... One would be benched.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#91 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Feb 3, 2020 10:14 pm

Whiteside, Simons and a pick for RoCo and Dieng makes so much sense that there isn't any way it happens.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#92 » by Roy The Natural » Mon Feb 3, 2020 10:28 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:Theres no way they play alongside each other.... One would be benched.

Which then begs the question. Are either willing to be benched. Whiteside's interview sure made him sound like he thought he could play alongside Nurkic, which is nonesense. Then you ask the question, is it really plausible to pay Whiteside $50/4yrs to strictly be a backup 5 backup? Will Whiteside stay for that? Will that effect a Zach Collins extension? Wouldn't Portland be better off finding a wing with that money? Wouldn't they be better off finding a trade that brings back some of both?

Convington+Dieng makes too much sense. He can be on the floor with either Zach or Nurkic. He's capable of filling in either spot with injury. His only runs through the upcoming year, meaning he won't effect a Zach Collins extension.

I'm utterly unsold that Whiteside should be here past this offseason.

If Whiteside isn't here past the offseason, then a good front office looks for a trade to help the Blazers going forward, and put good players out there for the next couple of years of Dame's prime. An incompetent front office gets swept up in what Lillard is doing, and stands pat because of fear.

Grabbing Dieng+ Covington, Skal coming back, than Nurkic post all-star break. If the Blazers make a trade involving Whiteside at the deadline they only have to survive 3-4 games before at least most likely getting Skal back. If Nurkic remains on schedule they will get him back as well after the deadline.

I just don't see keeping Whiteside as a smart move at all. Retaining Whiteside and not using him+assets to grab key players going forward basically ensures that either Portland guarantees Ariza's contract in the offseason or they have absolutely no tradeable ballast salary, and that any appropriate salary they have for trades is wrapped up in their better players.

The smart thing is still to trade Whiteside for some wing help and possibly a serviceable backup big.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#93 » by Roy The Natural » Mon Feb 3, 2020 10:36 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Whiteside, Simons and a pick for RoCo and Dieng makes so much sense that there isn't any way it happens.

That's my fear as well. I like the way our front office drafts, but at some point here we're just developing players for the post Lillard Blazers. I mean, most of these guys we've drafted take 3 years to hit their stride. If Portland drafts a high upside guy in the 2020 draft who doesn't hit his stride until 2023, is that really any help at all to Lillard?

We can quibble on whether the Blazers would send out 2 1sts vs Simons. Individually we may prefer one or another scenario, but the reality is that their aren't many teams who can likely compete with Portland for Covington who are in position to truly make use of him.

I mean you have Houston who looks like they're trying to throw some big deal together involving a bunch of teams and Capela, but that's complex, and it's easy to see something involving a bunch of teams and moving parts not being worth the effort for Minnesota. Even then, I'm not sure that Capela+Houston's 1st this year can compete with 2 1sts from Portland+taking on Dieng.
Matt800
Rookie

Post#94 » by Matt800 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 12:04 am

The complication with a Covington trade is the Blazers likely dont have what MIN wants.

There was a recent article on what MIN is looking for and how much they value Covington:

Ultimately, they want high-end talent. They’re not looking for a few nice pieces; they’re looking for one great one. So draft compensation is only attractive if it could be repackaged in another trade and into a high-end talent.

KAT loves Covington. They’re friends but it’s more like a big brother deal. Towns really looks up to him. I just don’t think they trade Covington unless they get KAT back another buddy. I guess I don’t know that to be a must, but I think it would be really bold not to.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/2/2/21119041/robert-covington-nba-trade-deadline-trail-blazers-timberwolves-minnesota-portland

It sounds like MIN especially wants D Russell. So Portland could get Covington in a 3 way trade, or if they somehow convince MIN that Simons can be their D Russell. Simons age is good because MIN wants someone closer to KATs career arc, but he hasnt proven to be high end talent yet.

Another factor is how do the portland players feel about moving whiteside? They just got a rhythm, if they have to go through growing pains again due to a trade, and being weak at center again, how does that go over?

Dieng and covington would make the team better long term, but I'm not sure it happens due to those issues.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#95 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Feb 4, 2020 12:04 am

We can quibble on whether the Blazers would send out 2 1sts vs Simons

I would much rather move Simons and find a way to get a win-now backup PG. We really need another guy that can facilitate the offense. Simons is only a scorer at this point, and as PG instincts generally are not prone to just appearing he likely remains only a scorer.

RoCo, Dieng and a capable backup PG would transform this team in a lot of positive ways.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#96 » by Norm2953 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:28 am

I can't see Portland doing anything at the trade deadline for the team is playing well and won't
do anything to upset Dame. If there is anything that will happen with Whiteside, it will be
something prior to the draft where Portland facilitate a move to another team.

Portland has to be realistic about where they are for while they are playing well, they are still
four games under .500 and would be heavy underdogs to the Lakers. Their priorities have not
changed for long term health of Nurk and Zach along with adding another solid young player
up front for Ariza is 35.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#97 » by Roy The Natural » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:03 am

Norm2953 wrote:I can't see Portland doing anything at the trade deadline for the team is playing well and won't
do anything to upset Dame. If there is anything that will happen with Whiteside, it will be

Portland has to be realistic about where they are for while they are playing well, they are still
four games under .500 and would be heavy underdogs to the Lakers. Their priorities have not
changed for long term health of Nurk and Zach along with adding another solid young player

This is the issue. Your second paragraph is in DIRECT conflict with your first. Portland shouldn't lose sight of where they are, and their chances. No moving Whiteside is a terrible move for the future of the franchise. Even moving Whiteside for Batum and a 2nd round pick is preferable to keeping Whiteside for the future of the franchise over the next 2-3 years.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#98 » by d-train » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:44 am

Currently, Blazers don't have an open roster spot and they might want one. This could be a trade objective. An open roster spot might be handy after the trade deadline.

Also, the Blazers have unused trade cash. Blazers could be looking to use trade cash to facilitate a trade. Trade cash expires if unused.

I would look for minor consolidation trades like what Blazers did to get Hood last year. The problem here is our players at the end of the bench (Hezonja, Biggie, Gabriel), only one of these guys can be traded in combination with another player. I don't think Blazers would seek to trade Simons, Trent, or Little. However, cash can be combined with any player.

Blazers can't trade Whiteside or Ariza without getting real good return. All the trade proposals on this board do not have Blazers getting good return. Usually, because people here underrate our players and overrate players on other teams, happens every year. Also, it's difficult to trade these players and maintain our financial position next year. However, these players could be traded in a deal that maintains next years financial position and gets us under the tax this year.

Blazers might try to trade Hood to a rebuilding team that is interested in having Hood next year. Hood might not like his chances of getting a good contract from Portland in 2021. I believe Blazers still have all their trade cash available.

Edit: Don't forget the nice assortment of exceptions Blazer have that could be used to facilitate a deal.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#99 » by d-train » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:55 am

Here are Blazers current exceptions:

Trade Exception (Caleb Swanigan, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,740,000
Disabled Player Exception (Rodney Hood, expiring 3/10/20) — $2,859,000
Trade Exception (Jake Layman, expiring 7/8/20) — $1,790,993
Trade Exception (Kent Bazemore, expiring 1/21/21) — $7,069,662

That disabled player exception can be used just like cap space. It can be offered to a player as salary without allocation, which means it's more valuable than $2.9M because most contracts signed this time of year are cut in half by allocation.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#100 » by Norm2953 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 9:16 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:I can't see Portland doing anything at the trade deadline for the team is playing well and won't

This is the issue. Your second paragraph is in DIRECT conflict with your first. Portland shouldn't lose sight of where they are, and their chances. No moving Whiteside is a terrible move for the future of the franchise. Even moving Whiteside for Batum and a 2nd round pick is preferable to keeping Whiteside for the future of the franchise over the next 2-3 years.

Realistically there likely is no real path for a Whiteside trade that would yield a meaningful young talent at the
trade deadline. Their likely course of action will be to play out their hand unless they simply settle for cap
relief which would really infuriate Dame. It's not likely SA will agree to trading LA unless Portland offered up
a FRP and its not likely Minnesota will trade Covington unless Portland once again overpaid.

Prior to the draft, Portland can look over their options for let's say Whiteside has a big last half of the season.
The market for bigs is deep and few teams have any cap space and though unlikely, Portland could opt to keep
Whiteside and move Nurk if that's what Dame wants. I wouldn't view Batum +2 as meaningful for I'd rather Portland
let Whiteside walk for that Nic would have to be nuts to decline a $27 Million option for 20/21.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers