Injury Status

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Injury Status 

Post#1 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:41 pm

Does anybody have any information on the status for Nurkic, Collins, and Skal? Just wondering what the latest timeline is to return. A game or two ago, someone mentioned something about Collins saying he's ahead of schedule at this point. I've heard February for Nurkic, but then recently I heard March. Skal was supposed to be a month or so and either return or be re-evaluated (I dunno which). Just curious when this team might make a push for the playoffs.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Re: Injury Status 

Post#2 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#3 » by zzaj » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:13 pm

I don't know about you guys, but when Nurkic finally does come back I'm going to be on edge every time he leaves his feet. He's had the psychological benefit of testing/working out and being on his leg full-time to know it's limits...we have not.

While it's a great piece of news in a season of pretty much all bad news, I think fans are putting too much stock/pressure into Nurkic's return. It's going to take some time before he has the impact he's had in years past. It's also pretty easy to accidentally put on rosey colored glasses about Nurkic's offensive game given how much time has gone by. He's never been a great finisher around the basket, nor a great range shooter. Capable, but not great. Those issues will likely still be issues--however he's young enough, and I can guarantee that he's worked a lot on his standstill shooting these past months of rehab. Perhaps we'll see an uptick in his efficiency...
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#4 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:23 pm

unlike others, i absolutely believe nurks gonna play good even in his first game back, i dont believe in rust and all that crap, at least not when it comes to nurk... mentally, hes good as it gets, injury didnt break him, but thats off the court, but i have no doubts it will be the same on the court, he wont be afraid to go after rebound, play pnr, do spin move, dunk the ball etc

both dame and swanigan said nurk looked like nurk, like injury never happened
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#5 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#6 » by Showdown » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:12 am

I think that his defense , setting screen's, playmaking and rebounding will be there immediately, only question mark is his scoring that could be inconsistant but if team start to play better and he has positive impact on the game it would be enough for this year and would give optimism to the fans for next year because he would have offseason to work on his body and his game .
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#7 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:03 pm

his body is perfect, has never been in better shape, but his conditioning might be an issue

Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#8 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:12 pm

Read on Twitter
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#9 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:23 pm

I for one hope we ease him back. I don't even like the idea of a healthy Nurkic playing more than 26-28 minutes per game. He is a monster, huge frame, tons of mass, physical play. He needs to be managed and kept on time restrictions.

He has always had some conditioning issues, so at this point its likely fair to say that's just 'who he is'. Give me less minutes of a fully engaged Nurkic than 30+ of a winded Nurkic. And this is when healthy.

Right now, with injury, I hope he starts at 15-18 minutes and eases back. We are going nowhere fast this season, not worth any risk to the big guy.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#10 » by zzaj » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:his body is perfect, has never been in better shape, but his conditioning might be an issue

Tough to say what his conditioning is like (he's maybe going 40% in this video) but you're probably correct...there is a huge chasm of difference between even playing in practice vs. playing in actual games.

Boy, it sure is great seeing him moving around, planting on that leg, and generally looking like he's ready to play.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#11 » by zzaj » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:34 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I for one hope we ease him back. I don't even like the idea of a healthy Nurkic playing more than 26-28 minutes per game. He is a monster, huge frame, tons of mass, physical play. He needs to be managed and kept on time restrictions.

He has always had some conditioning issues, so at this point its likely fair to say that's just 'who he is'. Give me less minutes of a fully engaged Nurkic than 30+ of a winded Nurkic. And this is when healthy.

Right now, with injury, I hope he starts at 15-18 minutes and eases back. We are going nowhere fast this season, not worth any risk to the big guy.

+1

Which is why I am one of the many that think that the Blazers won't be shipping off Whiteside.-- let a minutes restricted Nurkic back Whitside up off the bench and then let Hassan expire for savings after the year is over.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#12 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:27 pm

Which is why I am one of the many that think that the Blazers won't be shipping off Whiteside.-- let a minutes restricted Nurkic back Whitside up off the bench and then let Hassan expire for savings after the year is over.

I get this, but Whiteside is a basically our last clear movable asset. I hope we trade him for a talent upgrade somewhere and a overpaid backup center. As some know, Melo is a non-bird FA. So to resign him, we must use the MLE. That really limits the options we have this summer. I was under the impression that we could sign a rotation guy w/ the MLE AND bring back Melo w/ bird rights. That isn't the case.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#13 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:14 pm

some updates from neil olshey

nurk is day to day, collins is further away

Read on Twitter
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#14 » by d-train » Fri Feb 7, 2020 1:18 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:some updates from neil olshey

nurk is day to day, collins is further away

Read on Twitter

Wow, that interview cleared up a lot of questions. Nothing about injury status really, but tons of information about how Blazers will manage finances going forward. Value is no longer trumped by exploring every avenue to improve.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#15 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:45 pm

My take from that... it doesn't sound like Collins is coming back this year.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#16 » by HoopsFanAZ » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:09 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:My take from that... it doesn't sound like Collins is coming back this year.

Same here.

1. I want to see Nurkic and HWEC on the court together for good stretches and across games. Confirm or rebut the idea of both as Blazers next season.

2. NEXT YEAR -- Nurkic / Collins / McCollum / Lillard ... and guys who fit around them.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#17 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:01 pm

for what its worth

Read on Twitter

Return to Portland Trail Blazers