Game 48: Portland vs Houston 7:00pm SNW/ESPN

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Re: Game 48: Portland vs Houston 7:00pm SNW/ESPN 

Post#21 » by Moonbeam » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:46 am

Oh, man. The next game is in Los Angeles, the first game since the tragedy. That is going to be intense.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#22 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:49 am

Every time I think Lillard can't get any better, dude takes it up another level. As I've always said, enjoy the ride with Dame and don't take it for granted - even if it doesn't end in a chip.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#23 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:55 am

Moonbeam wrote:Oh, man. The next game is in Los Angeles, the first game since the tragedy. That is going to be intense.

I'm already crossing that off as an L and ain't even upset about it. Honestly, I can't even say I want the Blazers to win it tbh. Those fans in LA need a something to cheer for after an unimaginably difficult week.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#24 » by monopoman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:01 am

Damn, Lillard is on a mission in these past 4 games or so, talk about going into destroy mode and hell bent on getting back in the playoff race ASAP.

3-1 over the last 4 and facing three teams over .500 in that stretch.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#25 » by Moonbeam » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:03 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:Oh, man. The next game is in Los Angeles, the first game since the tragedy. That is going to be intense.

I'm already crossing that off as an L and ain't even upset about it. Honestly, I can't even say I want the Blazers to win it tbh. Those fans in LA need a something to cheer for after an unimaginably difficult week.

Yeah, I don't know how I feel. I want Portland to make the playoffs, and I can't ever imagine rooting for them to lose to the Lakers, but this may be one time I'll be ok with it.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#26 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:12 am

Moonbeam wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Yeah, I don't know how I feel. I want Portland to make the playoffs, and I can't ever imagine rooting for them to lose to the Lakers, but this may be one time I'll be ok with it.

This is something that goes beyond basketball imo. Just on a human level, I don't even know if I could feel good after that game if they win. They just need something to feel good about, even for just a few hours and over something as silly as a game.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#27 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:17 am

Oden2 wrote:Ariza is a home run

Yeah, that deal got poo-poo'd right after it happened, but I thought there could be a chance he could snap back into his quality of play that he had in Washington last season. He wasn't far removed from that and he was in a terrible situation in Sacramento with a coach who is/was struggling to find his footing with the players he has. Granted, I didn't know if he'd get back this quick.

I also got ridiculed / called out for suggesting if the Blazers wanted to flip Ariza, they could possibly get a 1st rounder from a contender. I'm thinking I may be proven right... assuming the Blazers did want to flip him which I don't think they do at this point. He's been too good and he's a million times the player Bazeless was.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#28 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:18 am

Also +1 to Dame for getting his first career TripDub in yet another win over Russ Westbrook lol.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,531

Post#29 » by zzaj » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:18 am

I'm just happy Lillard got his first triple double in a W. I was worried he was going to get it this season in a loss...even better that it was against a top 5 most annoying player in the NBA. (in no particular order: Harden, Westbrook, CP3, Beverly, LeBron).

I'm really liking Ariza. He's got that elusive "make others better" quality that doesn't always show up in boxscores. The difference in fit between he and Bazeless (yes, I saw what you did there, Duster) is night and day.

Don't look now but the Blazers are only 3 games outside of the POs.

On a side note, I think you guys are nuts with this "I might feel bad if the Blazers win in LA" talk. Sure that organization and Laker fans were just dealt a massive blow--truly, unbelievably tragic. But just like anything in life, you have to move on. Especially, because 99.9% of fans had zero actual relationship with those that died. I feel more sorry for Ariza than I do any Laker fans. Call me callous but IMO, the Lakers and their fans don't deserve a win just because Kobe died.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#30 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:27 am

Victory GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#31 » by Showdown » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:54 am

DusterBuster wrote:

Yeah, that deal got poo-poo'd right after it happened, but I thought there could be a chance he could snap back into his quality of play that he had in Washington last season. He wasn't far removed from that and he was in a terrible situation in Sacramento with a coach who is/was struggling to find his footing with the players he has. Granted, I didn't know if he'd get back this quick.

I also got ridiculed / called out for suggesting if the Blazers wanted to flip Ariza, they could possibly get a 1st rounder from a contender. I'm thinking I may be proven right... assuming the Blazers did want to flip him which I don't think they do at this point. He's been too good and he's a million times the player Bazeless was.

I agree about first part of your comment but don't know about getting FRP for him , maybe FRP's lost value after last summer but if GM's value young guy's and picks the same way they did in previous years i don't see that happening.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#32 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:02 pm

early days, its been only three games, but if he plays well for the rest of the season, hes worth keeping

i understand the excitement after we had to watch the likes of tolliver, baze and hezonja, but lets not jump to conclusions
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#33 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:06 pm

If Ariza keeps playing at even 70% of this current rate he is easily worth his deal next season. He looks like Mo Harkless with a better 3, and less robotic offensive movement.

I knew he was better than Kent, but this is nuts. Each of his first 3 games has been better than any game Kent ever played for us. He was used as a quasi-facilitator and ball handler in Sacrament which is a gross misuse of his talents. He is also the type of guy that needs to be around certain personalities to really turn his game on. Clearly SAC didn't have that, but we may. This could be quite the steal.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#34 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:15 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:

early days, its been only three games, but if he plays well for the rest of the season, hes worth keeping

i understand the excitement after we had to watch the likes of tolliver, baze and hezonja, but lets not jump to conclusions

I’ve always been an ariza fan. Even at an old age I think we clearly won the trade for him and I’d really like to see him stick around. The intensity he brings paired with nurk will be exciting and intimidating and it’s the type of energy that elevates the rest of the team. I attribute some of Dame’s recent success to having a guy like that who will break his body for the team (it makes everyone else want to lay their heart out on the floor and give 110 percent). Ariza isn’t as athletic as he used to be but I’d ride with him at pf any day. ZCo can probably be our backup to nurk next year or start with ariza taking up the backup pf mins
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#35 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Dame has gone super-nova and that's why the Blazer ship seems back on course, a little. But he isn't going to be this hot for the rest of the season; yeah, I guess that's kind of a duh statement, but Portland is winning because of Dame right now.

the game turned in the 2ndQ:

6:23.0 49-46 D. Lillard enters the game for C. Anthony
6:23.0 49-46 H. Whiteside enters the game for C. McCollum
6:05.0 49-47 N. Little makes free throw 1 of 2
6:05.0 49-48 N. Little makes free throw 2 of 2
5:44.0 49-50 D. Lillard makes 2-pt jump shot from 7 ft
5:23.0 49-53 G. Trent makes 3-pt jump shot from 26 ft (assist by D. Lillard)
4:54.0 51-55 N. Little makes 2-pt dunk at rim (assist by D. Lillard)
4:38.0 51-58 D. Lillard makes 3-pt jump shot from 29 ft (assist by G. Trent)
4:18.0 51-60 T. Ariza makes 2-pt dunk from 2 ft (assist by D. Lillard)
3:33.0 51-61 H. Whiteside makes free throw 1 of 2
2:15.0 51-63 T. Ariza makes 2-pt jump shot from 1 ft (assist by C. Anthony)
1:04.0 54-64 D. Lillard makes free throw 1 of 2
1:04.0 54-65 D. Lillard makes free throw 2 of 2
0:35.0 57-66 D. Lillard makes free throw 1 of 2
0:35.0 57-67 D. Lillard makes free throw 2 of 2
0:09.0 60-69 H. Whiteside makes 2-pt dunk from 1 ft (assist by D. Lillard)
0:00.0 60-71 T. Ariza makes 2-pt dunk from 1 ft (assist by C. Anthony)

Dame's fingerprints were all over that stretch that turned a 3 point hole into an 11 point lead, and Portland never looked back. And Ariza and Melo showed up as veterans often do

after all the yapping hype about Simons last summer, turns out that Trent is a much better player at this point. And Trent can play some defense; Simons is lost on that end of the floor. At this point, I'm thinking Little is better than Simons

have to temper the expectations for Ariza a little. He's not going to sustain a .726 TS% or a 50% three point rate. He looks to have lost a step on defense too

but still, he's kind of a base level of what we spent 4 years hoping Harkless would become. Impact on both ends of the floor and some freaking length on the perimeter instead of the Dame-CJ-Napier-Curry-Simons-dwarf-after-dwarf parade

I think Portland intends to keep Ariza next season. A 12.8M salary can fetch up 17.9M in returning salary in a trade, as long as Portland doesn't do anything stupid before this trade deadline. Blazer still have the option till June 30 to waive Ariza, but with Hood's injury, I think Ariza is the presumed starter next year.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#36 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 pm

after all the yapping hype about Simons last summer, turns out that Trent is a much better player at this point. And Trent can play some defense; Simons is lost on that end of the floor. At this point, I'm thinking Little is better than Simons

Trent gets no love. His play in January has been better than any month of play Simons has put together. He isn't ball dominant, he isn't a twig, he shoots the 3 better, he doesn't force nearly as much. He plays winning basketball, understanding his role and limitations. I am very pleased by his play. If we move Simons (Which I hope we do, capitalize on the Hassan expiring and the Simons potential allure), I would have no hesitation with relying on Trent as the backup SG until Hood is recovered, and even then wouldnt be surprised if he keeps that backup job.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#37 » by JasonStern » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:27 am

Read on Twitter
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#38 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:45 am

The arrival of Ariza and the development of Trent jr and Little have been pleasant surprises.

As a pair, Ariza and Little are active defenders and the team seems to have replaced what Aminu
and Harkless gave them last season. I'm not as harsh on Simons for that extra year at Duke and
a more physically developed body helps Trent jr but the lack of a veteran PG hurts both young
players given Dame/CJ are both shoot first players.

The team is coming along but remains six games under .500 and even if they struggle to get to
the 8 seed, the Lakers would almost certainly steamroll them, even if Nurk and Collins get back.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#39 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:37 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:Dame has gone super-nova and that's why the Blazer ship seems back on course, a little. But he isn't going to be this hot for the rest of the season; yeah, I guess that's kind of a duh statement, but Portland is winning because of Dame right now.

the game turned in the 2ndQ:

6:23.0 49-46 D. Lillard enters the game for C. Anthony
6:23.0 49-46 H. Whiteside enters the game for C. McCollum
6:05.0 49-47 N. Little makes free throw 1 of 2
6:05.0 49-48 N. Little makes free throw 2 of 2
5:44.0 49-50 D. Lillard makes 2-pt jump shot from 7 ft
5:23.0 49-53 G. Trent makes 3-pt jump shot from 26 ft (assist by D. Lillard)
4:54.0 51-55 N. Little makes 2-pt dunk at rim (assist by D. Lillard)
4:38.0 51-58 D. Lillard makes 3-pt jump shot from 29 ft (assist by G. Trent)
4:18.0 51-60 T. Ariza makes 2-pt dunk from 2 ft (assist by D. Lillard)
3:33.0 51-61 H. Whiteside makes free throw 1 of 2
2:15.0 51-63 T. Ariza makes 2-pt jump shot from 1 ft (assist by C. Anthony)
1:04.0 54-64 D. Lillard makes free throw 1 of 2
1:04.0 54-65 D. Lillard makes free throw 2 of 2
0:35.0 57-66 D. Lillard makes free throw 1 of 2
0:35.0 57-67 D. Lillard makes free throw 2 of 2
0:09.0 60-69 H. Whiteside makes 2-pt dunk from 1 ft (assist by D. Lillard)
0:00.0 60-71 T. Ariza makes 2-pt dunk from 1 ft (assist by C. Anthony)

Dame's fingerprints were all over that stretch that turned a 3 point hole into an 11 point lead, and Portland never looked back. And Ariza and Melo showed up as veterans often do

have to temper the expectations for Ariza a little. He's not going to sustain a .726 TS% or a 50% three point rate. He looks to have lost a step on defense too

but still, he's kind of a base level of what we spent 4 years hoping Harkless would become. Impact on both ends of the floor and some freaking length on the perimeter instead of the Dame-CJ-Napier-Curry-Simons-dwarf-after-dwarf parade

I think Portland intends to keep Ariza next season. A 12.8M salary can fetch up 17.9M in returning salary in a trade, as long as Portland doesn't do anything stupid before this trade deadline. Blazer still have the option till June 30 to waive Ariza, but with Hood's injury, I think Ariza is the presumed starter next year.

I also thought a key stretch was in the third quarter when the Rockets double teamed Lillard. He didn't panic, nor did the team, and they actually increased their lead during this time. I dunno what was with all of the turnovers in the 1st and 3rd quarters though. McCollum sucked to start the first half and Melo sucked to start the second half.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers