ImageImage

Game 51: Portland vs Denver 6:00pm SNW

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Re: Game 51: Portland vs Denver 6:00pm SNW 

Post#41 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Feb 5, 2020 4:52 pm

zzaj wrote:I truly hope Stotts doesn't put Mario ahead of Hoard in the rotation now that Little is out.

Blazers may be butting up against the 45 day limitation on Hoard. He's played in 12 games and has spent several more, I'd imagine, on the active roster. But more than that is unless Hoard is converted into a regular player, under contract, he can't play in the post-season. Right now Gabriel probably has the inside track on some of Little's minutes

and yeah, Hezonja is horrible. But because Olshey has done such a piss-poor job of adding any facilitator to the rotation, it's actually at a point that Hezonja may be the best option for running 2nd/3rd unit defense. I wish the Blazers would trade him for an empty zip-lock. I hate to think of him back on the team next year, but because he has a player option, I'd imagine he'd take that 1.9M. Maybe he'll get a big offer in Europe. He sure wouldn't be playing in the NBA next season if it wasn't for that PO
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#42 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Feb 5, 2020 4:59 pm

Melo playing 32 minutes made this statistical and efficiency dip pretty telegraphed. He was coming off a year out the game so his legs were fresh but he is very old. On a healthy Portland squad, I actually like his fit as a 18-20mpg scoring compliment to Zach at PF. But right now he is being asked to, or let do, too much. We have Little and Gabriel to give us hustle minutes, reduce Melo's time and give them more. 18-20 minutes of a rested Melo is much better than 32 of him gassed.

Also, please god use the Hood exception to bring in a backup PG. I cant stand how badly this team stalls once Damian isn't playing.

The streak has been great, but we really are grinding Damian into the ground right now.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#43 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Feb 5, 2020 5:25 pm

Any word on Little?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#44 » by PDXKnight » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:34 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Any word on Little?

Sprained ankle will be nursing it a few days they say
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#45 » by zzaj » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:38 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
zzaj wrote:I truly hope Stotts doesn't put Mario ahead of Hoard in the rotation now that Little is out.

Blazers may be butting up against the 45 day limitation on Hoard. He's played in 12 games and has spent several more, I'd imagine, on the active roster. But more than that is unless Hoard is converted into a regular player, under contract, he can't play in the post-season. Right now Gabriel probably has the inside track on some of Little's minutes

and yeah, Hezonja is horrible. But because Olshey has done such a piss-poor job of adding any facilitator to the rotation, it's actually at a point that Hezonja may be the best option for running 2nd/3rd unit defense. I wish the Blazers would trade him for an empty zip-lock. I hate to think of him back on the team next year, but because he has a player option, I'd imagine he'd take that 1.9M. Maybe he'll get a big offer in Europe. He sure wouldn't be playing in the NBA next season if it wasn't for that PO

Ugh. I totally forgot about Mario's PO :o

I wish I knew why Olshey is so allergic to backup PGs. It seems like for 5 or 6 years now you, me and a few others have been harping on Olshey to not completely ignore that position. He's had ample opportunity to grab a couple of decent floor generals in the late 1st/early second, as well.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#46 » by Epicurus » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:45 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Melo playing 32 minutes made this statistical and efficiency dip pretty telegraphed. He was coming off a year out the game so his legs were fresh but he is very old. On a healthy Portland squad, I actually like his fit as a 18-20mpg scoring compliment to Zach at PF. But right now he is being asked to, or let do, too much. We have Little and Gabriel to give us hustle minutes, reduce Melo's time and give them more. 18-20 minutes of a rested Melo is much better than 32 of him gassed.

Also, please god use the Hood exception to bring in a backup PG. I cant stand how badly this team stalls once Damian isn't playing.

The streak has been great, but we really are grinding Damian into the ground right now.
Good thought, except Anthony's failures came early in this game. Two games off and his legs still looked shot.

I realize that "grinding into the ground" is a dramatic metaphor, but I don't know the capacity of NBA players, and Lillard's in particular, to spend time on the court. Franchise stars in their prime years have always been on the court for long periods. I grew up watching Oscar Robertson and he would have killed any coach seeking to remove him, except for foul trouble or his determination he needed a small blow.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#47 » by Roy The Natural » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:50 pm

Epicurus wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Melo playing 32 minutes made this statistical and efficiency dip pretty telegraphed. He was coming off a year out the game so his legs were fresh but he is very old. On a healthy Portland squad, I actually like his fit as a 18-20mpg scoring compliment to Zach at PF. But right now he is being asked to, or let do, too much. We have Little and Gabriel to give us hustle minutes, reduce Melo's time and give them more. 18-20 minutes of a rested Melo is much better than 32 of him gassed.

Good thought, except Anthony's failures came early in this game. Two games off and his legs still looked shot.

I realize that "grinding into the ground" is a dramatic metaphor, but I don't know the capacity of NBA players, and Lillard's in particular, to spend time on the court. Franchise stars in their prime years have always been on the court for long periods. I grew up watching Oscar Robertson and he would have killed any coach seeking to remove him, except for foul trouble or his determination he needed a small blow.

Carmelo is just at that stage in his career where some nights he just don't have it. Maybe he didn't sleep well enough, maybe it's just a bad day. But Melo is just not going to have it some nights. I don't think the Blazers bring him back though unless it's for the minimum and he's ready for a 8-14 minutes a night sort of role.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#48 » by Roy The Natural » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:51 pm

zzaj wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Ugh. I totally forgot about Mario's PO :o

I wish I knew why Olshey is so allergic to backup PGs. It seems like for 5 or 6 years now you, me and a few others have been harping on Olshey to not completely ignore that position. He's had ample opportunity to grab a couple of decent floor generals in the late 1st/early second, as well.

I still feel like Mario won't be back. I mean, he has to see the writing on the wall. He's not going to get any playing time when this team is healthy, and drafts another wing. He's probably capable of getting more than $1.9M in Europe, and he can play and have fun over there.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#49 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:27 pm

I don't think the Blazers bring him back though unless it's for the minimum and he's ready for a 8-14 minutes a night sort of role.

I think the talent base of this team isn't nearly high enough to relegate Melo to such a small role. Who do we have as reliable second unit scorers? Basically no one. What avenues do we have to secure better second unit scorers than Melo? Very few.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers