ImageImage

Game 52: Portland vs San Antonio 7:00pm SNW

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Re: Game 52: Portland vs San Antonio 7:00pm SNW 

Post#41 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm not sure Zach will reach that certified level. He's going to be solid on defense for sure, but again, he'll have issues on the perimeter. His offense is so-so, at best, but if he can develop a consistent 3 point shot, he'd bring more to the floor

Its all projection right now. I was ready to label him a mini-bust if he didn't produce at adequate starter level this season, but that injury threw any potential judgement off. I am a fan of the 3 year rule with rookies, and this was Zach's year to establish himself as a competent starter or get the mini-bust label of 'only' adequate bench big. Its just too soon IMO. We all judge in different ways and if you think 2 years is enough sample size, that's fair.

I have always been a proponent of Zach at PF, but never full time. I like the idea of him there 12mpg and playing center the other 12-16. The idea of paying Hassan throws a wrench in that plan, as he and Nukic clearly would eat all 48 minutes. Zach at PF for 12 minutes a game is passable. But as a full time PF, for 24-30mpg? That's going to be a harder play IMO.

This is going to be a very interesting offseason. We may let Hassan walk and it may be for a trio of reasons IMO (Money, potential disruption once relegated to the bench, lack of C minutes for Zach). We may also let Melo walk (Age, defense) or loose him despite our wishes (Ring chase). That would leave us:

G - Damian Lillard
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr / Anfernee Simons
F - Trevor Ariza / Nassir Little / Mario Hezonja
F - Zach Collins
C - Jusuf Nurkic / (Zach Collins)

IR - Rodney Hood

With only the MLE, BAE, vet min contracts, 2020FPR, 2020SRP to fill all those holes.

NOTE: I don't list Nassir at PF because the dude is 6'5. He may have some minutes there right now due to lack of perimeter comfort, but if he becomes a playoff caliber rotation guy, its coming at SF or its not coming at all. This may make a NBA ready player like Obi Toppen very appealing to us. He can come in and score points at backup PF from day 1. But, jesus is that team young.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#42 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Feb 7, 2020 6:23 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:This is going to be a very interesting offseason. We may let Hassan walk and it may be for a trio of reasons IMO (Money, potential disruption once relegated to the bench, [b]lack of C minutes for Zach)[/b].

with Olshey in charge, I think the most likely reason Whiteside walks, if he does, is Olshey being determined to force Stotts into playing Zach big minutes. That's been Olshey's M.O. for the guys he wants featured. He thins out the alternative options (or Whiteside gets a big offer from another team Portland won't match)

but, right now, Portland only has two guys legitimately over 6'8 to log minutes at C and PF, and both of them are injured. With Skal gone, the Blazers have few options for any quality big man minutes. Whiteside with a 1+1 deal at 12M/year might be a critical need. And there has to be a worry at this point about Nurkic's ability to stay healthy

Blazers are at 110M in guarantees and dead salary with 10 players (includes Ariza and Hezonja); and the tax line is going to be around 139-140M (and I believe there's a mandate from Seattle to stay under the line next season)

so then, Whiteside at 12M and the 1st round pick at 3M would bump the Blazers up to 125M in guarantees for 12 players, with a margin to the tax-line of 13-16M

after that, besides vet minimum deals the Blazers would have:

7-10M - full MLE
3-4M - BAE
7M - TPE

they obviously can't use both the full-MLE and the TPE and remain under the tax line. They could use the full-MLE and BAE along with a vet min. and stay under the line, holding the TPE in reserve till next January 20.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#43 » by Epicurus » Fri Feb 7, 2020 9:40 pm

Gabriel as collins backup at PF? Already lots of iffy questions for next season. So quickly has a upcoming 50+ team been dismantled from the compounding of injuries and financial decisions.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers