ImageImage

backup PG buyout market

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

skoharry
Junior
And1: 20

backup PG buyout market 

Post#1 » by skoharry » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:57 am

ok so if i remember right we are almost if not last in APG. we need an actual backup PG. canidates are
isiah thomas - similar story to melo and so far the melo experiment is working. can get assists but is more of a scorer and a defensive liability
tim frazier - former blazer for a while. great passer and defender. not a great scorer
trey burke - another former blazer for a while. to sum hm up, he is kind of an isiah thomas lite
tyler johnson - 2 way guard who can get assists and is not a great defender, but can get buckets.

if i had my choice it would be frazier. I like the guys who can defend and who can find the wide open guy. so i say we waive gabriel and sign one of the 4 PG's listed above
Defense and rebounding wins games
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Re: backup PG buyout market 

Post#2 » by JasonStern » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:02 am

Olshey recently said that the Blazers roster this season is finalized - no taking on additional salary for the 15th roster spot.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#3 » by deanwoof » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:49 am

When was Trey Burke a blazer?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,527

Post#4 » by zzaj » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:34 am

According to Olshey the Blazers already have their backup PG--Anfernee Simons :roll:

All eyerolls aside, I don't really like any of the options above, although Burke seems like a guy Olshey would want. I'd be more interested in adding someone like Christian Wood at PF (I think he's killing it for the Pistons right now, though come to think of it)...or acquiring the rights to a Gleague guy like Jarrell Brantley or Josh Gray. May as well take a flyer...
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#5 » by red_power » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:58 am

Just hold your breath, this team is deep over the tax threshold and currently sitting only 9th spot in the west.

No one's going to add another Hezonja-esque crappy backup in these circumstances.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#6 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Burke would be a great fit. And it would push Simons to the end of the bench which, sadly, is where he should be sitting on a team with playoff asperations.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:25 pm

I'd personally would add a PG with the open roster spot but its more likely they would opt to convert
Hoard to a standard contract if there is another injury up front
realboredcactus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#8 » by realboredcactus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:57 pm

they're too cheap to add one. Would love Frazier back. Tyler Johnson would be solid but idk he reminds me too much of Bazemore and dont want any flashbacks of that
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#9 » by DusterBuster » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:11 pm

realboredcactus wrote:they're too cheap to add one. Would love Frazier back. Tyler Johnson would be solid but idk he reminds me too much of Bazemore and dont want any flashbacks of that

Somehow calling one of the most expensive rosters in the NBA "too cheap" feels weird.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#10 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:51 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
realboredcactus wrote:they're too cheap to add one. Would love Frazier back. Tyler Johnson would be solid but idk he reminds me too much of Bazemore and dont want any flashbacks of that

Somehow calling one of the most expensive rosters in the NBA "too cheap" feels weird.

it would be a cheap stance if Portland was healthy and fighting for a top-4 seed

it's probably financially sound to save money when Portland is in the position that if they lose tonight they'd be 5 games out of 8th seed with only 26 games left. Now Memphis has the most difficult remaining SOS in the league, and Portland has one of the easiest, so there's still a decent chance Portland can catch Memphis, especially if they win tonight. Still, spending an extra 5M in salary and tax just to get an 8th seed they might get anyway seems a bit loopy. And it may be even more loopy because it's unlikely Portland is going to land an impact player in the buy-out market
realboredcactus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#11 » by realboredcactus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

it would be a cheap stance if Portland was healthy and fighting for a top-4 seed

it's probably financially sound to save money when Portland is in the position that if they lose tonight they'd be 5 games out of 8th seed with only 26 games left. Now Memphis has the most difficult remaining SOS in the league, and Portland has one of the easiest, so there's still a decent chance Portland can catch Memphis, especially if they win tonight. Still, spending an extra 5M in salary and tax just to get an 8th seed they might get anyway seems a bit loopy. And it may be even more loopy because it's unlikely Portland is going to land an impact player in the buy-out market

This thinking is the exact reason as to why they are in the situation they are in now. Their only signing this entire season was Carmelo Anthony, even with all the injuries they had. The thought was always "is it worth it" and now they are going to miss the playoffs. Its a shame. Would they have done much with how injured they are? No, but that playoff viewing would have been nicer than watching Dame try to win games with a 7 man rotation and non-nba guys getting minutes.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#12 » by d-train » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 pm

realboredcactus wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

This thinking is the exact reason as to why they are in the situation they are in now. Their only signing this entire season was Carmelo Anthony, even with all the injuries they had. The thought was always "is it worth it" and now they are going to miss the playoffs. Its a shame. Would they have done much with how injured they are? No, but that playoff viewing would have been nicer than watching Dame try to win games with a 7 man rotation and non-nba guys getting minutes.

The best tool the Blazers have is their $2.9M disabled player exception. What would you do with this (salary + tax) that would make the Blazers better and improve our chances of getting into the playoffs? Your proposal would have to be something that could be done between January and March 10, when the exception expires.

And, perhaps more important, that would make us better next year. Keep in mind, the Blazers dumped Skal because they didn't value the option to re-sign him next year. If you look at our salaries and options for adding players next summer, we still have (without Skal) more options to add players and salary than we can afford if we stay below the tax next year.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers