ImageImage

2020 free agent targets and draft picks

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#161 » by d-train » Sat May 2, 2020 11:27 pm

I believe Hassan is going to get less money than many expect. I'm guessing a base year of $9M or less. Blazers will want to keep him but a sign-and-trade could also happen. I lowered my likely signing price for Hassan when Piston's couldn't get anything at last trade deadline for Andre Drummond. Also, there was no big market last summer for Kanter. Big men are not as essential as they used to be.

The value of Hassan's defense isn't that much. Last year, he gave up more on the perimeter than he gave us in the paint. I want Blazes to keep Hassan and continue working towards a more effective team defense. But, Hassan didn't complete Blazers on defense or the boards, which was expected of him. And, his limitations broke the offense.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#162 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun May 3, 2020 12:59 am

Deleted.
d-train
RealGM

Post#163 » by d-train » Sun May 3, 2020 7:30 am

The biggest asset Hassan has is the bird rights exception that allows Blazers to go over the cap to re-sign him. An exception that only exists if Hassan re-signs with the Blazers. You allude to the full-MLE as something that might raise Hassan's market value. Maybe, but I'm pretty sure the Blazers wouldn't offer their MLE to Hassan if they didn't already have the full bird exception. We already have Nurkic and Collins. Hassan will be 31 this free agency. Blazers need ball-hawking perimeter defenders that can shoot and rebound, more than we need a 31 year old center when we already have Nurkic and Collins.

Hassan might also have value in a sign and trade. This is potentially valuable to Blazers and Hassan, should there be no agreement on Hassan's value to the Blazers. A 31 year old might have more value if team's can move an existing salary in the deal.

Blazers also have a $7M TPE that if used, Blazers might rather just let Hassan walk in free agency.

There are many different ways the Blazers can go. The options can change depending on how the current season ends. The NBA is not done with 19-20 and the Blazers might not be done. Blazers are probably done, but nothing is certain.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#164 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue May 5, 2020 2:55 am

Deleted.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#165 » by GEE » Tue May 5, 2020 5:19 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Here’s a related but different question of this thread.

Which smaller-contract, younger Blazer would you trade with the pick at 14 (assuming that’s the pick) to move up and (realistically) take which player?

[Now if you don’t like the smaller $$$ constraint, open it up.]

Movable player... Trent or Little, but I don't know that there's a player that's out of our grasp, that's worth giving up either of those guys.

What I would also consider, if you want to package #14 + (Trent or Little), is trading for a legit starting caliber wing, preferably a better version of Harkless. Can we find another Rodney Hood somewhere? Overall, I agree Ariza for another year, plus taking care of Hood as the SF going ahead is smart.

As for Whiteside, I'll say it again... I recall Olshey taking a big run at him years ago, only to come in 2nd place in Hassan's FA decision. Nurkic/Collins/Whiteside should be feared by opposing teams. I'm sure The Horse could get more, but a contract similar to Nurkic's would be great for both parties, as he seems happy to be a Trailblazer. Having Nurkic and Hassan at 24 mpg, +or- a couple minutes would be awesome, and should add a couple years to their careers.

I doubt Dame wants a rookie that can't contribute right away, or at least by playoff time next year. To win it all, I think we need 10 healthy dogs at playoff time next year. Who will those guys be? I honestly don't know, but I like this mold for next year, with a focus on player ???

Dame / Simons
CJ / Trent
Ariza / Hood
Collins / ???
Nurkic / Whiteside

Bench: Pritchard(SRP), Little, Gabriel, Moses
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#166 » by Matt800 » Tue May 5, 2020 6:10 pm

GEE wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:Here’s a related but different question of this thread.

Which smaller-contract, younger Blazer would you trade with the pick at 14 (assuming that’s the pick) to move up and (realistically) take which player?

[Now if you don’t like the smaller $$$ constraint, open it up.]

Movable player... Trent or Little, but I don't know that there's a player that's out of our grasp, that's worth giving up either of those guys.

What I would also consider, if you want to package #14 + (Trent or Little), is trading for a legit starting caliber wing, preferably a better version of Harkless. Can we find another Rodney Hood somewhere? Overall, I agree Ariza for another year, plus taking care of Hood as the SF going ahead is smart.

As for Whiteside, I'll say it again... I recall Olshey taking a big run at him years ago, only to come in 2nd place in Hassan's FA decision. Nurkic/Collins/Whiteside should be feared by opposing teams. I'm sure The Horse could get more, but a contract similar to Nurkic's would be great for both parties, as he seems happy to be a Trailblazer. Having Nurkic and Hassan at 24 mpg, +or- a couple minutes would be awesome, and should add a couple years to their careers.

I doubt Dame wants a rookie that can't contribute right away, or at least by playoff time next year. To win it all, I think we need 10 healthy dogs at playoff time next year. Who will those guys be? I honestly don't know, but I like this mold for next year, with a focus on player ???

Dame / Simons
CJ / Trent
Ariza / Hood
Collins / ???
Nurkic / Whiteside

Bench: Pritchard(SRP), Little, Gabriel, Moses

I don't know much about this draft, but yeah someone who can contribute right away would be important, especially if trading guys who can contribute for that person.

I don't see how Whiteside, Collins, and Nurkic can play together. The 48 C minutes wouldn't be split between Whiteside and Nurkic because Collins also plays C, and the team doesn't have a 7fter in at all times. It would be more like 16-20 minutes for Whiteside and Nurkic. If somehow they all learn to shoot 3s well, and one of Nurkic and Whiteside get mobile enough to consistently guard out to the 3 point line, then sure. But that doesn't seem like it will happen.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#167 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue May 5, 2020 7:16 pm

Deleted.
GEE
Starter

Post#168 » by GEE » Tue May 5, 2020 7:36 pm

I know many will disagree, but I just don't see Collins as a C, unless he was to bulk up so much that he loses his bounce, which would not be good for his game and is not likely to happen. I see Z as THE prototypical stretch 4, that has all the tools to become one of the Blazer's greatest. We just haven't seen much yet, but it's there.

I think there's an ounce of positive from Nurkic's injury in that he looked much leaner than he had before in recent video clips. I hope after multiple injury issues, he will play at a lighter weight. With that, I also won't pass judgment on whether Whiteside and Nurkic can play at the same time or not, until I actually see them on the court together. Think if Nurkic, with his passing ability and screen setting, develops a decent 3-point shot at the top of the key, in a high-low with Whiteside, with shooters in the corners... Scary.

Dame/CJ/Trent/Ariza/Hood/Collins/Nurkic/Whiteside, with a dash of Simons and Little, is really solid IMO. I think with HW we would have 3 legit starters to rotate most of the PF and C minutes each night. I also think our guard depth is solid, and I love Little providing insurance at the SG/SF.

One more key addition to give that same insurance between SF/PF using our FRP and other assets someway will be perfect. Olshey should then draft Steve Blake 2.0 with our SRP, and we should be a force in 2021.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#169 » by Goldbum » Wed May 6, 2020 12:11 am

I've seen a lot of fans advocating that we draft a Steve Blake 2.0 either here or on BE. I get it vintage Blake would fit in nicely but I honestly feel like we can get that guy on a vet minimum and probably be a lot happier.
In an ideal situation we could land a player with PF length who can dribble, shoot and pass like a wing. I don't know who that guy is, I feel like Gabriel and Hoard are hybrids but likely missing an ingredient or two. I really like some of these wings but I don't know that any of them are better long term prospects to than Little.
A dynamic playmaker with size at PG seems to be a good fit then you swing for the fences in round 2 with a guy like Makur Makur who could be undervalued due to Thon.
Killian Hayes, Theo Maledon and RJ Hampton could all be present incredible value at our draft position. We'll likely have our pick and each would look nice pairing with Ant in a Rock-em Sock-em sort of back court.
I see Trent likely starting next year at SF initially and eventually at SG after a CJ trade...
Just my 19 cents
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#170 » by d-train » Wed May 6, 2020 8:24 am

A drastically lower tax threshold could put some teams in need to cut payroll. Blazers are well positioned to take advantage via trade with $7M TPE or free agency with full MLE and BAE. Or, by simply using lack of free agency money to re-sign our own free agents at bargain prices.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#171 » by youngWizzy » Sat May 9, 2020 2:09 am

Hello everybody,

Tool: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com

I recently developed an NBA Draft Comparison tool that has gained a good amount of popularity on Twitter by several draft analysts

The tool retrieves similar physical, statistical (per40), and advanced stat comparisons for any player dating back to the 2000 NBA Draft based on their position

Note: Advanced stats only go back to the 2011 Draft and there are currently only limited physical comparisons for some of the 2020 prospects as the combine hasn't reported official measurements. Additionally, if you cannot find a player in the stats, visuals, or advanced pages you can enter their sports-reference url and the site will generate the comparisons then.

If you end up seeing this, any feedback/comments/suggestions that you have or would like me to add a feature to the website is something that I'd appreciate a whole lot. You can dm me here but preferable on twitter:youngwizzydfs and I will respond asap.

The experience is a lot better on desktop/laptop than mobile which is something I am working on right now

If you don't mind sharing the tool with your friends and people that would mean a whole lot as it could lead to potential donations to my site that will help keep it up! Been working on this for a few years now so it's been one hell of a roller coaster ride!

Per 40 stat comparison can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/stats

Advanced stat comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/advanced

Physical comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/measurements

A visualizations page which visualizes how a player compares to their position can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/visuals

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#172 » by Goldbum » Tue May 19, 2020 3:59 am

Just wanting to Jumpstart some conversation...
Devin Vassell has really grown on me lately. I could see him turning into a top 4 player on a championship caliber team. He will be a drastically better pro than college player... also feeling like the opposite could be said of Toppin. I liked him earlier but I'm getting a strong T-Rob vibe off him. Different players but a lot of the same type of traits that won't translate to the NBA. Any of the big combo guards could be a great piece to pair in the second unit with Ant. Feel like GTJ is a starter and CJ has got to be moved to turn this team into a contender.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GEE
Starter

Post#173 » by GEE » Tue May 19, 2020 4:12 am

GEE wrote: ....Think if Nurkic, with his passing ability and screen setting, develops a decent 3-point shot at the top of the key, in a high-low with Whiteside, with shooters in the corners... Scary.

Dame/CJ/Trent/Ariza/Hood/Collins/Nurkic/Whiteside, with a dash of Simons and Little, is really solid IMO. I think with HW we would have 3 legit starters to rotate most of the PF and C minutes each night. I also think our guard depth is solid, and I love Little providing insurance at the SG/SF.

One more key addition to give that same insurance between SF/PF using our FRP and other assets someway will be perfect. Olshey should then draft Steve Blake 2.0 with our SRP, and we should be a force in 2021.

***TRADE IDEA***
I was looking at the Wizards boatload of SF's, and thought about using the #14 to add some solid depth. How about adding Troy Brown Jr.? I really like his game as a possible low usage 3&D SF. Good BBIQ, defense and PG skills that could allow Trent, but especially Simons to shoot tons of 3s. I could really see him anchoring the bench next season, and even more so after Ariza's tour is over. He's a team-option next year, and a RFA the following. Just spit ballin', but I would be happy to use #14 to get him, or a player that's similar, or better.

PDX trade: Mario (providing he opts in) / #14 / CASH
WIZ trade: Troy Brown Jr.

or...

Nassir & future FRP

This type of move is what I hope to see this summer. Hopefully get HW for Nurk $, and add another couple of key additions. Throw the MLE at a Tristan Thompson-like banger, and our squad is loaded 1 through 10.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#174 » by PDX MM » Wed May 20, 2020 10:03 am

Brown Jr is an interesting idea but I wouldn't give up Little and a 1st for him but if the Wiz are willing to take Hezonja + 1st and throw some cash their way as well then I would be all over that but I doubt they would be.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#175 » by Village Idiot » Fri May 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Goldbum wrote:Just wanting to Jumpstart some conversation...
Devin Vassell has really grown on me lately. I could see him turning into a top 4 player on a championship caliber team. He will be a drastically better pro than college player... also feeling like the opposite could be said of Toppin. I liked him earlier but I'm getting a strong T-Rob vibe off him. Different players but a lot of the same type of traits that won't translate to the NBA. Any of the big combo guards could be a great piece to pair in the second unit with Ant. Feel like GTJ is a starter and CJ has got to be moved to turn this team into a contender.
Vassell is growing on me too. He reminds me a lot of Kerry Kittles. Lithe and springy, good bbiq, good shooter, good defender, smart enough to excel as good role player.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#176 » by Goldbum » Sat May 23, 2020 1:43 am

I've been proposing the idea of trading CJ to Orlando for a while. He immediately becomes their best player and get his own team. We can move on from.out ball dominate undersized backcourt and push GTJ into.a.starting role. I feel like maybe its a stretch since we would be breaking up the boys but see an opportunity to reshape the squad going forward.
CJ/# 44 for Aaron Gordon/MO Bamba/#15
Blazers Draft Vassell and Theo Maledon
Dame/Macedon
GTJ/Ant/Hood
AG/Ariza/Hood/Little
Collins/Gordon/Little
Nurk/Bamba/Collins
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#177 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 pm

Deleted.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#178 » by Village Idiot » Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Getting Bamba, Gordon, and their pick, too?
Okay, now you make it tough to keep CJ.
I don't think we could get that much from them. Bamba would be really tough to get.

How about something like:

McCollum and Ariza for Gordon, Ross , #15 and rights to Chuma Okeke?

Despite Ariza's lightly guaranteed deal next season ($1.8 million of 12) this trade is legal for both teams. We save enough money to get out of the tax this season.

About the players we'd be receiving:

Gordon: I've been watching a lot of the Smart Highlights videos on him. They show the godly, the good, the bad and the ugly. One thing that strikes me about AG is that he brings the ball up a lot for the Magic and subseqently makes a lot of stupid decisions with the ball. He has NEVER played with a quality point guard. Jameer Nelson, DJ Augustin, Elfrid Payton and now Markelle Fultz are the guys he's played with in Orlando. Yuck!

He is a pretty good 3 pt shooter from the corner. Good high post player. Fantastic P+R ball-handler. He abuses SFs in the post. Good passing skills but makes a lot of simple mistakes. He can defend LeBron, Ben Simmons and Giannis about as well as anybody. He takes far too many fadeaways. He thinks too much when he's open. His footwork on his shooting is inconsistent. He has a really good eurostep. He tries to do too much with the ball and struggles in complex situations.

Would love to see what Gordon could do for us at SF and back-up PF. In a more narrowly defined role, getting easy corner looks and scoring off cuts and post up off of switches he could be the SF we're looking for, especially if Collins and Nurkic have improved their long-range shooting.

Ross: It would surprise most to know that Ross leads the league in scoring off of screens. He would fit really well in our offense and get a lot of easy looks, especially off of Nurkic screens.

Okeke:He was the guy I wanted the Blazers to draft last year. Was shocked when the Magic drafted him despite his injury making him unable to play this season. [url=]Here are his draft strengths[/url] and here is his scouting report.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#179 » by Goldbum » Sat May 23, 2020 9:13 pm

I would sign off on that trade V.I.... I would even toss in a 2nd and of course we would need to resigne Whiteside to backup Nurkic
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#180 » by youngWizzy » Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 pm

Hey guys, I just added a new feature to my site that let's you compare two prospects side by side here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/compare

Probably one of the cooler tools I've added.

I also added age as a method for comparing players for per40 and advanced stats which a lot of you requested! You can also choose to add manual measurements on the site as well as pick and choose which measurements you would like to compare physical measurements for players. Also similarity scores for comparisons are on the site as well!

If you don't mind checking it out that'd be amazing!!!!

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs

Return to Portland Trail Blazers