ImageImage

Game 62: Portland vs Orlando 4:00pm SNW

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Re: Game 62: Portland vs Orlando 4:00pm SNW 

Post#21 » by Norm2953 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:57 am

CJ's play in Dame's absence is going to feed some discussions this summer in the trade market.
Portland doesn't have to trade him but this summer, CJ and Beal might be best guards available
on the trade market but unless Beal, CJ can play some point .
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#22 » by d-train » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:19 am

Norm2953 wrote:CJ's play in Dame's absence is going to feed some discussions this summer in the trade market.
Portland doesn't have to trade him but this summer, CJ and Beal might be best guards available

Who says CJ is available? CJ is as unavailable as any NBA player can be that doesn't have a "no trade clause." Assuming, CJ doesn't have a no trade clause.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#23 » by zzaj » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:03 am

I feel like staying mostly positive tonight...

The Blazers may have found their replacement for Hood, in Trent Jr. Taking a cursory look at their stats side by side this year, they are nearly identical (I think Hood's 3pt% was a bit of an aberration, and would have returned to his career average). Trent Jr. is about 3 inches shorter than Hood, but has a bigger wingspan. Hood had a longer standing reach, but GTjr actually blocks more shots. They both weigh about the same. One player just turned 21, the other will turn 28 before the next NBA season begins.

Hood's game was spotty to begin with, despite his good start to this season. Like all but a couple of NBA players, I have a hard time imagining he'll come back anywhere close to his average level to finish his NBA career. All Trent Jr. will have to show is consistency overall or exceptional ability in a single NBA skill, and he'll be an NBA player for a long time.

The Blazers are lucky that they have him for two more years of his rookie deal--rough avg of 1.8M/year.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#24 » by d-train » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:18 am

zzaj wrote:I have a hard time imagining he'll (Hood) come back anywhere close to his average level to finish his NBA career.

I don't know why. His average numbers are very attainable, nothing special. His career numbers in the 110 games after Jazz traded him are actually better than his Jazz numbers when his value peaked. It would be a good move if Blazers can unload Hood after he opt's in this summer.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#25 » by monopoman » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:43 am

That flop by MCW in this game was something else, I can see why CJ was pissed enough to chase down the refs on that bull call. MCW knows he can't stop CJ one on one so the dude flops like a bitch to get the call. The replay clearly shows that CJ was going to the side and barely touched MCW but he flies back like CJ ran directly at him.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#26 » by monopoman » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:51 am

zzaj wrote:I feel like staying mostly positive tonight...

The Blazers may have found their replacement for Hood, in Trent Jr. Taking a cursory look at their stats side by side this year, they are nearly identical (I think Hood's 3pt% was a bit of an aberration, and would have returned to his career average). Trent Jr. is about 3 inches shorter than Hood, but has a bigger wingspan. Hood had a longer standing reach, but GTjr actually blocks more shots. They both weigh about the same. One player just turned 21, the other will turn 28 before the next NBA season begins.

Hood's game was spotty to begin with, despite his good start to this season. Like all but a couple of NBA players, I have a hard time imagining he'll come back anywhere close to his average level to finish his NBA career. All Trent Jr. will have to show is consistency overall or exceptional ability in a single NBA skill, and he'll be an NBA player for a long time.

The Blazers are lucky that they have him for two more years of his rookie deal--rough avg of 1.8M/year.

If Trent can shoot like this more often i think he might be better than Hood, he seems to be a better defender from what I have seen so if he can bring that scoring impact while playing high level defense sign me up.

**** in a year or two he could find himself being a 100% starter for this team. That game where Trent just ripped the ball out of the air on a potential game tying shot was just incredible.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#27 » by Norm2953 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:53 am

d-train wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:CJ's play in Dame's absence is going to feed some discussions this summer in the trade market.

Who says CJ is available? CJ is as unavailable as any NBA player can be that doesn't have a "no trade clause." Assuming, CJ doesn't have a no trade clause.[/quote

If guys like Kareem Jabbar and Shaq can be traded, any player can be traded. CJ is far from a top 10 player
in the league but if another team met Portland's price, he's gone for he's likely a better player elsewhere
if he had to be the guy for another teams back court. He'll never be that guy in Portland for Dame is a
top 10 player.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#28 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:18 pm

neil olshey did great when he bought 2nd round pick and traded for gary trenr jr

but he should be able to do what miami heat and some other franchises do often, finding "hidden gems" and thats very important for a franchises that cant attract all-stars or superstars, theres always players like that

he does something similar, like when he traded for nurk (who obviously wasnt as good as now, there were rumors about his bad behaviour etc), although i wonder if he would do that, if mason plumlee wasnt due to extension...
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#29 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:12 pm

Really liking what I'm seeing from Trent Jr this season. Simons was supposed to have the big year, but Trent Jr stepped up instead. Fortunately there is a bright spot with one of the young'ns and they didn't all lay an egg. Maybe the Blazers should shake things up next season and bring CJ off the bench so he can destroy when Lillard is not in the game.

PG Lillard / CJ / Hezonja
SG Trent Jr / Simons / ?
SF Ariza / Hood / Little
PF Colllins / Melo / Gabriel
_C Nurkic / Whiteside / Swanigan

If Simons actually steps up like Olshey said would happen this season AND Hood is able to return to near form before the injury, that is not a bad roster.

Depending on the draft this summer, maybe Swanigan and Gabriel come back on the cheap, otherwise they're gone and we really don't care so much. I like part of Swanigan's game... he sets great picks, he's not a bad passer, but I don't like his size for what he brings. I wish he had another two or three inches, then his game would not be bad at all. He's not a rim protector and frankly, he's not a center but I worry he may be two slow to defend the PF out on the 3 point line. I have no clue about Gabriel... he's a ball of energy, which is great, but I don't know how much talent is actually there. He's shown to hit a 3 point shot so that's good, he just needs to develop more. He might be worth hanging on to regardless of the draft this summer.

It's too bad Hezonja hasn't played all season like he did last night. He'd be useful if he did that every night, not just against his old club in their building.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,425

Post#30 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:38 pm

Gawhdamn CJ is going in since Dame went down. 28 ppg over 6asts less than 3 turnovers 45%from the field and 41% from 3
monopoman
RealGM

Post#31 » by monopoman » Wed Mar 4, 2020 7:02 am

GreenRiddler wrote:Gawhdamn CJ is going in since Dame went down. 28 ppg over 6asts less than 3 turnovers 45%from the field and 41% from 3

We have seen this before, partly why I kinda want to see what CJ would like like as a 1st option on another team.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers