ImageImage

Blazers are being sold (Jaynes speculation)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Blazers are being sold (Jaynes speculation) 

Post#1 » by monopoman » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:24 am

Dwight Jaynes now reporting that Jody Allen will be looking to sell the Blazers in the near future. No details about on who might be a buyer but her lukewarm status to owning a basketball team should make this the most likely future of the team.

https://clutchpoints.com/jody-allen-plans-to-sell-blazers-team-now-valued-at-1-85-billion/

Part of this might also be so Jody can fulfill Paul's vision of turning a very large chunk of his assets into large charity donations. Paul wanted most of his fortune to go to charity on his death.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,841

Re: Blazers are being sold (Jaynes speculation) 

Post#2 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:51 am

I've changed the title of this thread to accurately represent the truth of the article.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#3 » by PDXKnight » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:53 am

We will see, it wouldn’t shock me. But I think we don’t have to worry about the team leaving Portland at this point, we’ve become a much more lucrative market since 05
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#4 » by d-train » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:36 am

The only thing you can take to the bank is the BS flowing out of Dwight Jaynes mouth. Manure is priced by the ton. Dwight Jaynes is good for 27 tons per year.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#5 » by monopoman » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:14 am

d-train wrote:The only thing you can take to the bank is the BS flowing out of Dwight Jaynes mouth. Manure is priced by the ton. Dwight Jaynes is good for 27 tons per year.

Well odds are we wouldn't hear about her selling it until a deal was nearly complete. They aren't going to keep telling everyone that they are looking to sell the team for months before it happens. The best deal is usually privately announcing you are looking to sell to a few potential parties and see if they have interest.

I don't see why Dwight would make something like this up.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#6 » by Sinobas » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:31 am

I hope Jody does sell if she's not an owner who really cares about the team winning.

Paul Allen's over-spending on the team I think hurt as much as it's helped over the years. The summer of 2016 fiasco case in point.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#7 » by zzaj » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:56 am

Wait...did anybody really expect her to keep ownership of the team?

The bigger question is whether the team would stay in Portland. And right now I have a hard time believing the NBA would allow the thriving Blazers (despite their record) to be moved.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#8 » by monopoman » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:03 am

zzaj wrote:Wait...did anybody really expect her to keep ownership of the team?

The bigger question is whether the team would stay in Portland. And right now I have a hard time believing the NBA would allow the thriving Blazers (despite their record) to be moved.

We have seen other teams in worse situations stay in their city, Pelicans were in such rough shape a while back the League had to take ownership of the team. That team did not move, they still have very tepid attendance even with getting a top pick in AD a while back and another #1 pick with Zion this year.

Kings are another team that had a shot of moving a while back and they stood pat, someone would have to be stupid to try to move this team out of Portland this is a city that LOVES it's teams and supports them through thick and thin. The one time this city wavered it's support was the pinnacle of the Jail Blazer era, before that and after that even when this team struggles we still show up and cheer them on.

I can imagine protests and some very pissed off Portlanders if a new owner made any indication of trying to strong arm this city into the team moving. This is even tougher for that buyer because any purchase of the Blazers comes with buying Moda Center, that building becomes much less financially viable if the Blazers leave.
d-train
RealGM

Post#9 » by d-train » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:07 am

monopoman wrote:
d-train wrote:The only thing you can take to the bank is the BS flowing out of Dwight Jaynes mouth. Manure is priced by the ton. Dwight Jaynes is good for 27 tons per year.

Well odds are we wouldn't hear about her selling it until a deal was nearly complete. They aren't going to keep telling everyone that they are looking to sell the team for months before it happens. The best deal is usually privately announcing you are looking to sell to a few potential parties and see if they have interest.

I don't see why Dwight would make something like this up.

Dwight gets paid to make up stories as long as someone will read it.

Read his story and tell me exactly what is the revelation and how does Dwight know it.

He admits that nobody will know anything about the team's availability until there is news that it already sold. This I believe, and this alone is an admission that his story is BS.

The writer also says “Jody Allen is going to sell this team,” writes Jaynes. “I’m not sure when..." The source of this statement is Dwight Jaynes and he admits he has no information to support it. Every NBA team will eventually be sold, so what is the news here?

Here is the only relevant factual statement in this nonstory:
"The people operating this franchise have always assured everyone that it isn’t for sale," 'it' being the team.

Dwight Jaynes can say he doesn't believe the team is not for sale and he can state his reasons. It would be a story if he had an intelligent rational for his theory, but here is his rational: "I think that’s what you have to say in order to keep potential free agents, advertisers, sponsors and even fans comfortable with their investment in the team."

For one, his rational isn't even accurate. You can put your team up for sale and continue to do business with free agents, advertisers, sponsors, and fans without any problems or issues. This is exactly how it would normally happen. It's also not a reason to sell the team.

Does this story offer any reasons why Jody would sell the team? It says that Paul Allen wanted his fortune donated to charity and Jody doesn't really want a basketball team. Dwight Jaynes has no source for this belief of his, not Jody, not an acquaintance of a friend of Jody's, not the maid that cleans Jody's toilet, Jaynes knows nothing.

Dwight Jaynes has a long history of telling stories that are 99.9% supposition and untruths, add this one to the long list.
d-train
RealGM

Post#10 » by d-train » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:14 am

I don't know if Jody has any plans to sell the team, which means I know just as much as Dwight Jaynes knows. Anything is possible.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#11 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Mar 4, 2020 7:16 am

Irresponsible and misleading titles are a pet peeve of mine.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#12 » by zzaj » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:10 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Irresponsible and misleading titles are a pet peeve of mine.

DBR, TSE changed the title of the thread...do you still find that it's misleading?
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#13 » by ebott » Wed Mar 4, 2020 6:40 pm

Must be a slow news day if Dwight is resorting to this sort of BS. This story is basically the same as if he said I might quit my job. He knows nothing about me, but technically he is right because people quit jobs. Other teams have been sold before, why not the Blazers?
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers