ImageImage

Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
Posts: 19,676
And1: 3,881
Joined: May 29, 2008
     

Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Mar 6, 2020 5:41 pm

Image


vs


Image


Time: 6:00pm
Place: Phoenix
TV: SNW

GLB of the game Cobie Smulders
Spoiler:
Image
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
Posts: 10,947
And1: 7,518
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: France
Contact:
   

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#2 » by ducler » Fri Mar 6, 2020 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
Posts: 19,676
And1: 3,881
Joined: May 29, 2008
     

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:03 am

1st quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Image
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
Posts: 19,676
And1: 3,881
Joined: May 29, 2008
     

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:39 am

2nd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Image
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
Posts: 19,676
And1: 3,881
Joined: May 29, 2008
     

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#5 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:17 am

3rd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Image
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
Posts: 19,676
And1: 3,881
Joined: May 29, 2008
     

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#6 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:54 am

4th quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Image
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Matt800
Pro Prospect
Posts: 811
And1: 236
Joined: Aug 01, 2014

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#7 » by Matt800 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:58 am

trent jr with somewhat consistent good play is one of the best parts of this season so far
Roy The Natural
General Manager
Posts: 7,631
And1: 3,756
Joined: Nov 07, 2014

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#8 » by Roy The Natural » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:07 am

I hope to god Melo and Whiteside aren't coming back. They're just not good players. Especially Melo. I gave him the benefit early, but overall... he plain stinks.
Matt800
Pro Prospect
Posts: 811
And1: 236
Joined: Aug 01, 2014

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#9 » by Matt800 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:26 am

Seems like Baynes likes playing against portland
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#10 » by d-train » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:27 am

Blazers never had a defensive stand. We had some good offensive runs but no d to back it up.
Image
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#11 » by d-train » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:28 am

Matt800 wrote:Seems like Baynes likes playing against portland

Nobody defended him all night.
Image
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#12 » by d-train » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:31 am

Matt800 wrote:trent jr with somewhat consistent good play is one of the best parts of this season so far

He plays nba defense. Ariza played good defense tonight but the team effort was week.
Image
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#13 » by d-train » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:36 am

For all good Whiteside does, some of our worst defensive games usually start with Whiteside not defending his man out to the perimeter and our rotations are either slow or nonexistent.
Image
User avatar
monopoman
General Manager
Posts: 8,785
And1: 3,399
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
     

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#14 » by monopoman » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:09 am

d-train wrote:Blazers never had a defensive stand. We had some good offensive runs but no d to back it up.

That has been the problem with the team throughout the entire year, they try to outscore teams to win our defense consists of mostly hoping the opposing team misses.

Our best defensive players are either injured or no longer with the team so it makes it very difficult to get stops.
zzaj
Head Coach
Posts: 6,524
And1: 1,883
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
 

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#15 » by zzaj » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:58 am

Tonight showed how important it is to have EVERY position able to hit 3pters in today's NBA. It's a big reason why "traditional" centers are getting undrafted, or DNPs.

I'll say it again...coach Vanterpool left for Minny, Tibbetts was promoted and the Blazer perimeter defense has looked terrible all year. Obviously, not having Zach on stretch Centers and the length of Aminu, Harkless has been a big part of the Blazer woes defensively...but I still feel that coaching change has had an effect on the attitude. Whiteside is a great rim protector, but the team needs to think of that as an asset to good team defense not a fail-safe. Of course having poor defensive players like Melo and CJ at key positions doesn't help either...
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,353
And1: 6,252
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#16 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Mar 7, 2020 6:04 am

with Portland, it's not defense....it's defensieve
User avatar
Oden2
RealGM
Posts: 23,036
And1: 1,949
Joined: May 29, 2007
Location: Portland
   

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#17 » by Oden2 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:24 pm

Gosh on Facebook if you so much as hint at melo being inefficient and not wanting him back people label you a bafoon. I don’t blame him for our problems but I sure wouldn’t mind if he rode off in the sunset in nyc
User avatar
Oden2
RealGM
Posts: 23,036
And1: 1,949
Joined: May 29, 2007
Location: Portland
   

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#18 » by Oden2 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:27 pm

zzaj wrote:Tonight showed how important it is to have EVERY position able to hit 3pters in today's NBA. It's a big reason why "traditional" centers are getting undrafted, or DNPs.

I'll say it again...coach Vanterpool left for Minny, Tibbetts was promoted and the Blazer perimeter defense has looked terrible all year. Obviously, not having Zach on stretch Centers and the length of Aminu, Harkless has been a big part of the Blazer woes defensively...but I still feel that coaching change has had an effect on the attitude. Whiteside is a great rim protector, but the team needs to think of that as an asset to good team defense not a fail-safe. Of course having poor defensive players like Melo and CJ at key positions doesn't help either...


whiteside gets blocks but That doesn’t make him the best defender I’d say. I’m curious what he asks for contract wise but after the Miami stuff I’m very leery of giving him a contract like he has now for 4 years so he’d better be cheap if we get him. 5-10 mil range and 2-3 years at most
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,353
And1: 6,252
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#19 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:10 pm

Oden2 wrote:
zzaj wrote:Tonight showed how important it is to have EVERY position able to hit 3pters in today's NBA. It's a big reason why "traditional" centers are getting undrafted, or DNPs.

I'll say it again...coach Vanterpool left for Minny, Tibbetts was promoted and the Blazer perimeter defense has looked terrible all year. Obviously, not having Zach on stretch Centers and the length of Aminu, Harkless has been a big part of the Blazer woes defensively...but I still feel that coaching change has had an effect on the attitude. Whiteside is a great rim protector, but the team needs to think of that as an asset to good team defense not a fail-safe. Of course having poor defensive players like Melo and CJ at key positions doesn't help either...


whiteside gets blocks but That doesn’t make him the best defender I’d say. I’m curious what he asks for contract wise but after the Miami stuff I’m very leery of giving him a contract like he has now for 4 years so he’d better be cheap if we get him. 5-10 mil range and 2-3 years at most


whiteside may be the best defender on the Blazers...there's not a lot of competition

Portland opponent FG% at Rim (0-3') & league rank:

2018-19 - .633 (6th).....Nurk + Kanter + Zach + Aminu + Meyers
2019-20 - .614 (2nd).....Whiteside + Skal (23 games) + Tolliver + Melo

Portland opponent FG% in the 3-10' zone & league rank:

2018-19 - .411 (24th)
2019-20 - .377 (6th)

I can't really think of a way to look at those numbers other than those being the zones on the floor most impacted by a rim protector's defense. Whiteside definitely has his faults including slower reactions and limited mobility, but he protects the paint really well

meanwhile, opponent FG% in the mid-range 16-23' zone has gone from .399 last year to .409 this year. And, more importantly, Portland's opponent 3pFG% has jumped from .359 last season to .374 this season. There's a price to pay when a GM sacrifices perimeter defense in favor of perimeter offense that doesn't really show up enough to offset the defensieve loss
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,353
And1: 6,252
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Game 64: Portland vs Phoenix 6:00pm SNW 

Post#20 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:55 pm

for those wanting to blame Whiteside for Baynes having a career night:

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/portland-trail-blazers/hassan-whitesides-teachable-moments-could-be-key-trail-blazers

the defensieve problem really wasn't Whiteside, it was perimeter rotations. Any doubt that is the PF had been Aminu rather than Melo, Baynes wouldn't have had so many open looks

I really don't want Melo back next year

Return to Portland Trail Blazers