ImageImage

Showing They Belong...

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,353
And1: 6,252
Joined: May 28, 2007

Showing They Belong... 

Post#1 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Mar 8, 2020 6:21 pm

...in the lottery

over the last 11 games Portland has had 5 chances to make statements by beating teams they are fighting for that 8th seed:

Tue, Feb 11, 2020 @ New Orleans Pelicans L
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 @ Memphis Grizzlies L
Fri, Feb 21, 2020 New Orleans Pelicans L
Fri, Mar 6, 2020 @ Phoenix Suns L
Sat, Mar 7, 2020 Sacramento Kings L
Goldbum
Starter
Posts: 2,481
And1: 244
Joined: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#2 » by Goldbum » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:18 pm

I think the Suns, Spurs Wizards and Hornets could all pass us. That puts as at #8 pre lottery. Not loving the wasted season but reality has set in.
It wasn't too long ago I was so mesmerized by Dame's streak that I was sure that with Ariza and a healthy Nurk/Collins we could be the team.that no body wants to face in round one and maybe make a run if we caught lightning in a bottle ...
I was wrong. It makes me sick that we have wasted this chunk of Lillards prime but it's time we trade CJ if we are ever going to give the letter 0 any chance at a ring in Portland.
I'm a stranger in a strange land.
If you ever see a 6'8" white dude running around SLC with a big Blazers tattoo on his right arm... Say whats up.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
Posts: 12,222
And1: 3,384
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#3 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:02 pm

Yeah, this season is bad. There are lots of reasons for that but the 2 biggest IMO are opponent 3 point shooting (we are bottom 3) and opponent rebounding, where we give up the most offensive rebounds of any team.

Without defending the 3 and keeping opponents off the glass you just cannot be a good team, as those are two of the most efficient ways to score. Either one of those would be an Achilles Heel in the modern NBA, but to suffer from both is just plain unacceptable.
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#4 » by d-train » Sun Mar 8, 2020 11:10 pm

Goldbum wrote:It makes me sick that we have wasted this chunk of Lillards prime but it's time we trade CJ if we are ever going to give the letter 0 any chance at a ring in Portland.

Whether or not a season is wasted is mostly determined by Lillard. If Lillard wants to win a championship without being traded to LeBron's or Kawhi's team, he better get busy. When and if it happens is up to him and his performance.
Image
Goldbum
Starter
Posts: 2,481
And1: 244
Joined: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#5 » by Goldbum » Mon Mar 9, 2020 12:47 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Yeah, this season is bad. There are lots of reasons for that but the 2 biggest IMO are opponent 3 point shooting (we are bottom 3) and opponent rebounding, where we give up the most offensive rebounds of any team.

Without defending the 3 and keeping opponents off the glass you just cannot be a good team, as those are two of the most efficient ways to score. Either one of those would be an Achilles Heel in the modern NBA, but to suffer from both is just plain unacceptable.


I hadn't checked the stats for this but it fits what I've seen. I agree 100%
I'm a stranger in a strange land.
If you ever see a 6'8" white dude running around SLC with a big Blazers tattoo on his right arm... Say whats up.
Norm2953
RealGM
Posts: 11,691
And1: 633
Joined: May 17, 2003
Location: Oregon

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#6 » by Norm2953 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 12:49 am

I think Phoenix will end up finishing behind us for teams lottery bound teams always manage to
finish where it most benefits them. There are 7 really bad teams in the east which means the
top 10 picks will be dominated by the east which means Portland would be in a pack which
includes the Grizzlies (8) Kings, Pelicans, Spurs and Suns for picks 10-15. It really seems like
a replay of the 2013 draft for Portland for Portland lost their last 10 games to be in position
to draft CJ in what was considered a mediocre draft .
HoopsFanAZ
Pro Prospect
Posts: 832
And1: 147
Joined: Jun 16, 2008

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#7 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:32 am

While it’s not been the best use of a season for Lillard, he has (IMO) moved into superstar status. Not just arguably the best leader of a team. Elite. And having one of those changes the status of a team.

While the playoffs are looking more in doubt, the growth of GT Jr. has been impressive. [I absolutely whiffed on that. I thought he was a decent 2nd round pick but thought his D and 3 would end up being iffy.] And though some fans are disappointed in the hype vs. results of Simons, I’m not. Kid’s a player. Year 3 should be good for adapting to the physicality and bigger contributions. And I’m liking the possibilities for Little, too.

In other words, shut down Nurkic and Collins coming back. I know that’s not how they play it ... no tanking ... but next year is more important than this year.
whatchaknow
Veteran
Posts: 2,851
And1: 429
Joined: May 05, 2009

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#8 » by whatchaknow » Mon Mar 9, 2020 2:16 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:While it’s not been the best use of a season for Lillard, he has (IMO) moved into superstar status. Not just arguably the best leader of a team. Elite. And having one of those changes the status of a team.

While the playoffs are looking more in doubt, the growth of GT Jr. has been impressive. [I absolutely whiffed on that. I thought he was a decent 2nd round pick but thought his D and 3 would end up being iffy.] And though some fans are disappointed in the hype vs. results of Simons, I’m not. Kid’s a player. Year 3 should be good for adapting to the physicality and bigger contributions. And I’m liking the possibilities for Little, too.

In other words, shut down Nurkic and Collins coming back. I know that’s not how they play it ... no tanking ... but next year is more important than this year.


Would love to see nurk come back before seasons end. Need to know he’s back moving normal so we know what to go after this offseason. Front court depth will most likely be the #1 priority, but whether we go after a 15 min a game backup or a guy that we need to play more minutes behind nurk
could come down to how he looks here end of the year. I’d love Collins back too just for more experience

I think blazers end up right around 10-11 pick. Haven’t done much mock draft searching, but Toppin from Dayton would be a great fit if the ping pong balls maybe threw us into the top 3 lol
User avatar
monopoman
General Manager
Posts: 8,785
And1: 3,399
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
     

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#9 » by monopoman » Mon Mar 9, 2020 5:06 am

whatchaknow wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:While it’s not been the best use of a season for Lillard, he has (IMO) moved into superstar status. Not just arguably the best leader of a team. Elite. And having one of those changes the status of a team.

While the playoffs are looking more in doubt, the growth of GT Jr. has been impressive. [I absolutely whiffed on that. I thought he was a decent 2nd round pick but thought his D and 3 would end up being iffy.] And though some fans are disappointed in the hype vs. results of Simons, I’m not. Kid’s a player. Year 3 should be good for adapting to the physicality and bigger contributions. And I’m liking the possibilities for Little, too.

In other words, shut down Nurkic and Collins coming back. I know that’s not how they play it ... no tanking ... but next year is more important than this year.


Would love to see nurk come back before seasons end. Need to know he’s back moving normal so we know what to go after this offseason. Front court depth will most likely be the #1 priority, but whether we go after a 15 min a game backup or a guy that we need to play more minutes behind nurk
could come down to how he looks here end of the year. I’d love Collins back too just for more experience

I think blazers end up right around 10-11 pick. Haven’t done much mock draft searching, but Toppin from Dayton would be a great fit if the ping pong balls maybe threw us into the top 3 lol


They have already confirmed Nurk is coming back March 15th against the Rockets. I don't think the status of the team is part of whether or not he comes back, they likely want to give him 15+ games this season so he gets some games in before next season.
Sinobas
Analyst
Posts: 3,047
And1: 269
Joined: Jun 20, 2008

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#10 » by Sinobas » Mon Mar 9, 2020 1:18 pm

I don't think any team that just musters a .500 record belongs in the playoffs of any sport, let alone a team with a losing one.

Isn't it clear to everyone by now that CJ and Damian are NOT enough to do it on their own? Yet they've invested in CJ like he's the Pippen to MJ. We need to get out of his contract or it will severly hamper our ability to surround Dame with the talent needed to make us a decent playoff team.
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#11 » by d-train » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:23 pm

Sinobas wrote:I don't think any team that just musters a .500 record belongs in the playoffs of any sport, let alone a team with a losing one.

Isn't it clear to everyone by now that CJ and Damian are NOT enough to do it on their own? Yet they've invested in CJ like he's the Pippen to MJ. We need to get out of his contract or it will severly hamper our ability to surround Dame with the talent needed to make us a decent playoff team.

The Blazers problem is Lillard isn't MJ. MJ and CJ would do really well in today's NBA. Of course, MJ and anyone would do well.
Actually, Lillard and CJ haven't been awful and their future prospects aren't awful either.

The problem with your statement is it lacks real world comprehension. Players are not paid based on their ability relative to MJ and Pippen. The pay of players is based on a complicated CBA, their predicted value in actual free agent bidding, and alternative options teams have to spend their money better.

Edit: Another example of your unawareness is your statement ignores the player the Blazers are paying more for than the free agent market would have paid to the player. Lillard is paid more than his free agent value not because other teams wouldn't also pay it, but because the CBA doesn't allow other teams to pay it. So, was paying Lillard the example of poor management you were searching for? Probably not, because the alternative to paying Lillard more than his free agent market value is most likely worse, at least from the visibility into the probable future we currently have.

Of course this forum is for people, with the benefit of hindsight, to make thoughtless and inaccurate statements about past events. Blazers management makes their decisions based on estimates of future alternatives and their estimates have 10x better precision than your view of the past.
Image
Wizenheimer
RealGM
Posts: 34,353
And1: 6,252
Joined: May 28, 2007

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#12 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Mar 9, 2020 5:02 pm

monopoman wrote:
whatchaknow wrote:
Spoiler:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:While it’s not been the best use of a season for Lillard, he has (IMO) moved into superstar status. Not just arguably the best leader of a team. Elite. And having one of those changes the status of a team.

While the playoffs are looking more in doubt, the growth of GT Jr. has been impressive. [I absolutely whiffed on that. I thought he was a decent 2nd round pick but thought his D and 3 would end up being iffy.] And though some fans are disappointed in the hype vs. results of Simons, I’m not. Kid’s a player. Year 3 should be good for adapting to the physicality and bigger contributions. And I’m liking the possibilities for Little, too.

In other words, shut down Nurkic and Collins coming back. I know that’s not how they play it ... no tanking ... but next year is more important than this year.


Would love to see nurk come back before seasons end. Need to know he’s back moving normal so we know what to go after this offseason. Front court depth will most likely be the #1 priority, but whether we go after a 15 min a game backup or a guy that we need to play more minutes behind nurk
could come down to how he looks here end of the year. I’d love Collins back too just for more experience

I think blazers end up right around 10-11 pick. Haven’t done much mock draft searching, but Toppin from Dayton would be a great fit if the ping pong balls maybe threw us into the top 3 lol


They have already confirmed Nurk is coming back March 15th against the Rockets. I don't think the status of the team is part of whether or not he comes back, they likely want to give him 15+ games this season so he gets some games in before next season.


actually, it was Nurkic who said he was returning on the 15th. All the Blazers did, thru Stotts, was say that was the "target date". That means Nurk may play on the 15th provided everything else works the way they hope. But target dates aren't set in stone. Originally, the target date was mid-February....now it's a month later
zzaj
Head Coach
Posts: 6,524
And1: 1,883
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
 

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#13 » by zzaj » Mon Mar 9, 2020 5:15 pm

d-train wrote:
Sinobas wrote:I don't think any team that just musters a .500 record belongs in the playoffs of any sport, let alone a team with a losing one.

Isn't it clear to everyone by now that CJ and Damian are NOT enough to do it on their own? Yet they've invested in CJ like he's the Pippen to MJ. We need to get out of his contract or it will severly hamper our ability to surround Dame with the talent needed to make us a decent playoff team.

The Blazers problem is Lillard isn't MJ. MJ and CJ would do really well in today's NBA. Of course, MJ and anyone would do well.
Actually, Lillard and CJ haven't been awful and their future prospects aren't awful either.

The problem with your statement is it lacks real world comprehension. Players are not paid based on their ability relative to MJ and Pippen. The pay of players is based on a complicated CBA, their predicted value in actual free agent bidding, and alternative options teams have to spend their money better.

Edit: Another example of your unawareness is your statement ignores the player the Blazers are paying more for than the free agent market would have paid to the player. Lillard is paid more than his free agent value not because other teams wouldn't also pay it, but because the CBA doesn't allow other teams to pay it. So, was paying Lillard the example of poor management you were searching for? Probably not, because the alternative to paying Lillard more than his free agent market value is most likely worse, at least from the visibility into the probable future we currently have.

Of course this forum is for people, with the benefit of hindsight, to make thoughtless and inaccurate statements about past events. Blazers management makes their decisions based on estimates of future alternatives and their estimates have 10x better precision than your view of the past.


Such a veiled, but supremely condescending and baiting troll post.
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#14 » by d-train » Mon Mar 9, 2020 5:28 pm

zzaj wrote:
d-train wrote:
Sinobas wrote:I don't think any team that just musters a .500 record belongs in the playoffs of any sport, let alone a team with a losing one.

Isn't it clear to everyone by now that CJ and Damian are NOT enough to do it on their own? Yet they've invested in CJ like he's the Pippen to MJ. We need to get out of his contract or it will severly hamper our ability to surround Dame with the talent needed to make us a decent playoff team.

The Blazers problem is Lillard isn't MJ. MJ and CJ would do really well in today's NBA. Of course, MJ and anyone would do well.
Actually, Lillard and CJ haven't been awful and their future prospects aren't awful either.

The problem with your statement is it lacks real world comprehension. Players are not paid based on their ability relative to MJ and Pippen. The pay of players is based on a complicated CBA, their predicted value in actual free agent bidding, and alternative options teams have to spend their money better.

Edit: Another example of your unawareness is your statement ignores the player the Blazers are paying more for than the free agent market would have paid to the player. Lillard is paid more than his free agent value not because other teams wouldn't also pay it, but because the CBA doesn't allow other teams to pay it. So, was paying Lillard the example of poor management you were searching for? Probably not, because the alternative to paying Lillard more than his free agent market value is most likely worse, at least from the visibility into the probable future we currently have.

Of course this forum is for people, with the benefit of hindsight, to make thoughtless and inaccurate statements about past events. Blazers management makes their decisions based on estimates of future alternatives and their estimates have 10x better precision than your view of the past.


Such a veiled, but supremely condescending and baiting troll post.

Veil: Please explain, I said exactly what I believe openly.
Supremely condescending: I didn't say anything with an aim to be disrespectful. My statement is accurate.
Baiting troll post: I taunted noone. My statement includes no insults and requires/encourages no response. Hopefully, it encourages any response to be well thought out.
Image
tester551
Veteran
Posts: 2,503
And1: 205
Joined: Jan 10, 2005
Location: Missing the Coast & Trees

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#15 » by tester551 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 8:15 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:...in the lottery

over the last 11 games Portland has had 5 chances to make statements by beating teams they are fighting for that 8th seed:

Tue, Feb 11, 2020 @ New Orleans Pelicans L
Wed, Feb 12, 2020 @ Memphis Grizzlies L
Fri, Feb 21, 2020 New Orleans Pelicans L
Fri, Mar 6, 2020 @ Phoenix Suns L
Sat, Mar 7, 2020 Sacramento Kings L

Next 2 games are going to continue that trend.
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#16 » by d-train » Mon Mar 9, 2020 11:21 pm

I think the next 8 games are winnable. I wonder if team management is supporting a winning atmosphere the way they should. It would be disappointing if Olshey would allow the cancer of losing to infect this group of players and the fighting attitude Lillard and CJ lead with in playoffs last year.
Image
User avatar
Oden2
RealGM
Posts: 23,036
And1: 1,949
Joined: May 29, 2007
Location: Portland
   

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#17 » by Oden2 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 11:29 pm

Yes they sure have found a way to lose key games, it’s been embarrassing
whatchaknow
Veteran
Posts: 2,851
And1: 429
Joined: May 05, 2009

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#18 » by whatchaknow » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:17 am

monopoman wrote:
whatchaknow wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:While it’s not been the best use of a season for Lillard, he has (IMO) moved into superstar status. Not just arguably the best leader of a team. Elite. And having one of those changes the status of a team.

While the playoffs are looking more in doubt, the growth of GT Jr. has been impressive. [I absolutely whiffed on that. I thought he was a decent 2nd round pick but thought his D and 3 would end up being iffy.] And though some fans are disappointed in the hype vs. results of Simons, I’m not. Kid’s a player. Year 3 should be good for adapting to the physicality and bigger contributions. And I’m liking the possibilities for Little, too.

In other words, shut down Nurkic and Collins coming back. I know that’s not how they play it ... no tanking ... but next year is more important than this year.


Would love to see nurk come back before seasons end. Need to know he’s back moving normal so we know what to go after this offseason. Front court depth will most likely be the #1 priority, but whether we go after a 15 min a game backup or a guy that we need to play more minutes behind nurk
could come down to how he looks here end of the year. I’d love Collins back too just for more experience

I think blazers end up right around 10-11 pick. Haven’t done much mock draft searching, but Toppin from Dayton would be a great fit if the ping pong balls maybe threw us into the top 3 lol


They have already confirmed Nurk is coming back March 15th against the Rockets. I don't think the status of the team is part of whether or not he comes back, they likely want to give him 15+ games this season so he gets some games in before next season.


I hope the team record isn’t a determining factor for nurks return because like I said I think it would be valuable for both him and the team to return to the court. I think there’s gonna be rust and I’d rather it to finish this dreadful season as opposed to starting next year with our starting center having not played in so long. Some people might not agree with that take but that’s my feeling. Although the way this season has gone I can see the other thought of just starting clean next year.

This has been one the least enjoyable blazers teams in recent memory. Nates last year was tougher than this because we at least have had super dame quite a few times which is always fun. Nates last year netted us dame so hopefully this year can have some silver lining following the draft
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#19 » by d-train » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:34 am

whatchaknow wrote:
monopoman wrote:
whatchaknow wrote:
Would love to see nurk come back before seasons end. Need to know he’s back moving normal so we know what to go after this offseason. Front court depth will most likely be the #1 priority, but whether we go after a 15 min a game backup or a guy that we need to play more minutes behind nurk
could come down to how he looks here end of the year. I’d love Collins back too just for more experience

I think blazers end up right around 10-11 pick. Haven’t done much mock draft searching, but Toppin from Dayton would be a great fit if the ping pong balls maybe threw us into the top 3 lol


They have already confirmed Nurk is coming back March 15th against the Rockets. I don't think the status of the team is part of whether or not he comes back, they likely want to give him 15+ games this season so he gets some games in before next season.


I hope the team record isn’t a determining factor for nurks return because like I said I think it would be valuable for both him and the team to return to the court. I think there’s gonna be rust and I’d rather it to finish this dreadful season as opposed to starting next year with our starting center having not played in so long. Some people might not agree with that take but that’s my feeling. Although the way this season has gone I can see the other thought of just starting clean next year.

This has been one the least enjoyable blazers teams in recent memory. Nates last year was tougher than this because we at least have had super dame quite a few times which is always fun. Nates last year netted us dame so hopefully this year can have some silver lining following the draft

Nate had a players mutiny. You don't have a players mutiny when you have class leadership like Lillard and CJ. There's a big difference between LA, Crawford, Camby, Fatboy, and Batum vs Lillard and CJ. I'm not really certain if Fatboy was a part of the mutiny. Regardless, Fatty Felton showed up to start the season fat and out of shape.
Image
Sinobas
Analyst
Posts: 3,047
And1: 269
Joined: Jun 20, 2008

Re: Showing They Belong... 

Post#20 » by Sinobas » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:10 am

d-train wrote:
Sinobas wrote:I don't think any team that just musters a .500 record belongs in the playoffs of any sport, let alone a team with a losing one.

Isn't it clear to everyone by now that CJ and Damian are NOT enough to do it on their own? Yet they've invested in CJ like he's the Pippen to MJ. We need to get out of his contract or it will severly hamper our ability to surround Dame with the talent needed to make us a decent playoff team.

The Blazers problem is Lillard isn't MJ. MJ and CJ would do really well in today's NBA. Of course, MJ and anyone would do well.
Actually, Lillard and CJ haven't been awful and their future prospects aren't awful either.

The problem with your statement is it lacks real world comprehension. Players are not paid based on their ability relative to MJ and Pippen. The pay of players is based on a complicated CBA, their predicted value in actual free agent bidding, and alternative options teams have to spend their money better.

Edit: Another example of your unawareness is your statement ignores the player the Blazers are paying more for than the free agent market would have paid to the player. Lillard is paid more than his free agent value not because other teams wouldn't also pay it, but because the CBA doesn't allow other teams to pay it. So, was paying Lillard the example of poor management you were searching for? Probably not, because the alternative to paying Lillard more than his free agent market value is most likely worse, at least from the visibility into the probable future we currently have.

Of course this forum is for people, with the benefit of hindsight, to make thoughtless and inaccurate statements about past events. Blazers management makes their decisions based on estimates of future alternatives and their estimates have 10x better precision than your view of the past.


,said the guy who defended the Crabbe and Turner signings. :lol:

Return to Portland Trail Blazers