ImageImage

What happens if/when the season resumes?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

GEE
Rookie
And1: 92

Re: What happens if/when the season resumes? 

Post#81 » by GEE » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

AWESOME! A bit confused by this move. Yes, we can use a 3rd string PG for a playoff push, but this does absolutely nothing in replacing Ariza.

Follow up move needed and expected. Do we still have a roster spot open?
d-train
RealGM
And1: 859

Post#82 » by d-train » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Ariza will be mostly replaced by Melo and Trent. Collins will take up most of the PF minutes that Melo played. Mario, Little, Gabriel, and Hoard give us deep depth at SF. Melo will backup Collins at PF. Mario, Little, Swanigan, and Gabriel will provide deep depth at PF.

We have the least amount of deep depth at guard. Lillard, CJ, and Simons are our 3 guard rotation. Trent and Adams will be deep depth at guard.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 939

Post#83 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:48 pm

d-train wrote:Blazers sign g-league player Jaylen Adams, a PG. Actually, he's a small combo guard.
Just watched his G+league highlight and I'm not impressed. Not a single assist. Seems extremely focused getting his. Not all that explosive. I don't get this signing. Does Olshey have an allergy to small forwards and only want to sign guards?
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Dan G.
d-train
RealGM

Post#84 » by d-train » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:06 pm

We have 6 healthy players that can play SF. No sense adding a 7th unless we can add one better than we already have. Maybe Olshey has confidence in Melo and Trent.

We had 4 guards to cover 2 positions.
JasonStern
General Manager
And1: 2,002

Post#85 » by JasonStern » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:33 pm

with Hood and Ariza out, I would have preferred Crabbe. but backup point guard is a position of weakness for the Blazers, and an 8 game test run of Adams is pretty low risk even if all he does is become a practice body.
Dzon Dilindzer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,497

Post#86 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BlazersBroncos
Analyst
And1: 2,138

Post#87 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:41 pm

with Hood and Ariza out, I would have preferred Crabbe. but backup point guard is a position of weakness for the Blazers, and an 8 game test run of Adams is pretty low risk even if all he does is become a practice body.

I have been a proponent of adding a true PG for quite some time, so no issue using the test run on a guy who at least seems to have a minor semblance of PG skills, even if he seems much more of a scorer. His 3PT % is good and he seems to have great body control getting to the rim. Who knows if he is the answer, but I am pretty positive that Simons isn't a PG so any potential long term solution at backup is welcome in my mind. Kid has great weight-to-height at 6'0 and 225lbs.
d-train
RealGM

Post#88 » by d-train » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:43 pm

Hey, does Lillard know that Melo can't play SF?
d-train
RealGM

Post#89 » by d-train » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:47 pm

I have never seen Adams play. I get the impression he is a "true PG" in the mold of Lillard and CJ.
d-train
RealGM

Post#90 » by d-train » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:02 pm

Holly crap, Stotts too, someone tell Stotts and Lillard, Melo can't play SF.
d-train
RealGM

Post#91 » by d-train » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:09 pm

Does Melo know he can't play SF?
JasonStern
General Manager
And1: 2,002

Post#92 » by JasonStern » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:17 pm

The Swanigan, off-again relationship continues:

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/portland-trail-blazers/caleb-swanigan-opts-out-will-not-join-trail-blazers-nba-restart

Curious if "personal reasons" are COVID-19 related or not wanting to ride the bench with Nurkić and Collins returning.

New roster spot open, Crabbe. Do a solid for the team that drafted you and gave you that massive contract!

BlazersBroncos wrote:I have been a proponent of adding a true PG for quite some time, so no issue using the test run on a guy who at least seems to have a minor semblance of PG skills, even if he seems much more of a scorer.

Hoping that gets addressed in the second round of the draft with either Payton Pritchard or Malachi Flynn.

Not judging a G-League player too harshly for playing me-first basketball as many view putting up stats as their best shot at making the league. Well, that or players sitting out during a global.

d-train wrote:I have never seen Adams play. I get the impression he is a "true PG" in the mold of Lillard and CJ.

Olshey does have a type.
BlazersBroncos
Analyst

Post#93 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:03 pm

Hoping that gets addressed in the second round of the draft with either Payton Pritchard or Malachi Flynn.

Ya, there is a plethora of R2 PG prospects. I like Payton on offense but am wary that his athleticism may be so bad it makes him a perennial defensive issue.
GEE
Rookie

Post#94 » by GEE » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:17 pm

d-train wrote:Ariza will be mostly replaced by Melo and Trent. Collins will take up most of the PF minutes that Melo played. Mario, Little, Gabriel, and Hoard give us deep depth at SF. Melo will backup Collins at PF. Mario, Little, Swanigan, and Gabriel will provide deep depth at PF.

We have the least amount of deep depth at guard. Lillard, CJ, and Simons are our 3 guard rotation. Trent and Adams will be deep depth at guard.

I just don't see Trent as a SF, and with Hood and Ariza out, I don't see a legit SF on this roster. Perimeter defense is gonna suck, and we will absolutely get exposed once we face either LA team... They have wings.
Mario , Little, Swanigan and Gabriel.... Come on now..... Deep depth??? None of these guys matter much once the playoffs start. 8-9 solid players are needed, and I feel we are still one short. I think we are going to be forced into having to see Mario on the court, and that ain't good.

Dame(36) / Simons(12)
CJ(36) / Trent(12)
Melo(30) /
Collins(36) / Nurkic(12)
Nurkic(18) / Whiteside(30)
d-train
RealGM

Post#95 » by d-train » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:12 pm

Trent doesn't have the playmaking skills you might want in a guard. At least, not a Blazers guard. Blazers guards usually have some playmaking ability. I don't believe Trent can replace Ariza's ability to defend the ball. I think Trent's defense is being overrated. CJ and Lillard are better defenders, IMO. We will see, if Trent has capability to defend the ball we will see it. Frankly, we will see Trent defending the ball even if he isn't great at it, because we don't have a great option.
BlazersBroncos
Analyst

Post#96 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:29 pm

Dame(36) / Simons(12)
CJ(36) / Trent(12)
Melo(30) /
Collins(36) / Nurkic(12)

You dont see Trent as a SF but think Nurkic can play 12mpg at PF?

Trent has split time this season at SG and SF. He is only slightly undersized for a SF at 6'6 210lbs. He does have a 6'9 wingspan, which is about average for his height. Regardless, IMO he can play SF, especially as a backup.

This should be the rotation IMO

G - Damian Lilard (36) / Anfernee Simons (12)
G - CJ McCollum (36) / Anfernee Simons (12)
F - Carmelo Anthony (20) / Gary Trent Jr (28)
F - Zach Collins (26) / Carmelo Anthony (12) / Little Gabriel Hoard (10)
C - Hassan Whiteside (26) / Jusuf Nurkic (22)

You cant trot out Zach for 36mpg coming off an injury, and I wouldn't want to give Nurkic 30 either.
d-train
RealGM

Post#97 » by d-train » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:29 pm

Stotts has a plan, but he doesn't know what he is going to do until the games are played. We don't even know for certain what the plan is. I am hoping Collins and Nurkic can play a lot of minutes. I'm hoping if Little, Hoard, or Gabriel play, it's because they are doing something amazing on the court, not because our regular players can't play.
GEE
Rookie

Post#98 » by GEE » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:45 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Dame(36) / Simons(12)
CJ(36) / Trent(12)
Melo(30) /
Collins(36) / Nurkic(12)

You dont see Trent as a SF but think Nurkic can play 12mpg at PF?

Trent has split time this season at SG and SF. He is only slightly undersized for a SF at 6'6 210lbs. He does have a 6'9 wingspan, which is about average for his height. Regardless, IMO he can play SF, especially as a backup.

This should be the rotation IMO

G - Damian Lilard (36) / Anfernee Simons (12)
G - CJ McCollum (36) / Anfernee Simons (12)
F - Carmelo Anthony (20) / Gary Trent Jr (28)
F - Zach Collins (26) / Carmelo Anthony (12) / Little Gabriel Hoard (10)
C - Hassan Whiteside (26) / Jusuf Nurkic (22)

You cant trot out Zach for 36mpg coming off an injury, and I wouldn't want to give Nurkic 30 either.

If you include what I had said, in your quote, you'd see my main point... I think we are a man short with Ariza's opting out, and the roster I show isn't what I want, it's only meant to show the gaping hole we now have at SF.

A couple quick point:
-ust because Trent is 6'6,
dunlop212
Junior
And1: 50

Post#99 » by dunlop212 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:02 pm

I got the impression that Little can defend a little bit. That might count for something. Just enough D to make an opposing star uncomfortable.

Not sure Collins gets a lot of minutes. Six fouls and he's out.
Goldbum
Starter
And1: 244

Post#100 » by Goldbum » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:01 am

So obviously going i to the Bubble SF is our greatest concern. Who do we have that can possibly play the position without unbalancing the rest of the roster?
Lets take a brief look:

Melo PF/SF
Pros: Offensive gravity, smarts, handle
Cons: Can't guard 3s in space, ball dominate redundancy with Dame and CJ. Doesn't have a roleplayers mindset.

Little: SF/PF
PROS: Boundless energy, uber athletic ability, developing skill set. On ball defense, rebounding, baseline running for Nurkic passes.
CONS:No offensive gravity, often out of place, can sometimes feel like playing 4 on 5 when you have the ball. Doesn't see the game at a high level yet. Playmaking ability, handle.

Weyan Gabriel: PF/SF
PROS: Plus size, speed and length. High level motor. Team defense, rim protection, 3 level rebounding. Can hit the corner three or cut along the baseline enough to possibly keep defenses honest. Motor.
CONS: Strength, can he keep 3s in front of him? Looked lost at times slowing his reaction time. Is he disciplined, can he learn from and play through his mistakes? Has he learned the playbook on both sides of the ball yet. Not a playmaker, can he make the right reads if the other team overloads the defense?

GTJ SG/SF
PROS: 3 level complimentary scorer. Strong, smart, and gritty. Adequate playmaking and ball handling as a tertiary option. Gets after it on D. Plays a cerebral game and gets into players heads. Possibly the best player on this list.
CONS: A shorter less athletic SF. Not an ideal pairing when CJ is at the SG spot. Tough to imagine a shorter less athletic SF paired with a shorter less athletic SG working well. Inexperienced...

Mario Herzonja: SF/PF
PROS: Plus Athlete. Ideal Size and Speed. Decent passer, ball handler and supposed to be a plus shooter. Rebounds well for a SF. Familiarity with Nurk could unlock some of his talent. Has the physical ability to play good defense when he makes the right read.
CONS: Thinks he's better than he is. Takes possessions away from better players. Has an Alpha Dog mentality and a borderline roleplayer's resume. Just doesn't seem to get it. Plays outside of his abilities and can destroy on court continuity.

So its a crap shoot. I like Little playing with Melo in the second unit. Offensive Gravity and play making on one side, mixed with an endless motor, athleticism and opportunism on the other, could work against bubble benches. Melo and Whiteside can ease the pressure on GTJ and ANT in the second unit.
Herzonja= Wild Card the "truest" SF left on the roster but can he play smart and stay in his role with the starters?
Gabriel=??? I could see this working, I could also see it going up in flames. His length is a huge plus and if he can continue to knock down the corner 3 maybe just maybe he has a small coming out party in Orlando. Likely hood probably around 10% but Blazers are being given a sub 10% chance at making the playoffs so if he shows out in many training camp maybe they roll the dice in desperation. Nurk/Collins/Gabriel is a lot of length to drive through and shoot over.

Ariza would be so nice right now.
I'm a stranger in a strange land.
If you ever see a 6'8" white dude running around SLC with a big Blazers tattoo on his right arm... Say whats up.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers