ImageImage

Trevor Ariza

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

What Ariza option should Blazers take?

Keep Ariza by guaranteeing his salary of $11M
8
36%
Waive Ariza and attempt to resign him using portion of $9.9M MLE
7
32%
Keep Ariza and trade him
1
5%
Waive Ariza and save $11M
6
27%
All these options are bad
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#21 » by d-train » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:08 pm

GEE wrote:
d-train wrote:
skoharry wrote:So we have MLE, BAE, and VM.

We also have $7M TPE, $2.34M TPE, $1.8M TPE, bird rights to re-sign Whiteside, and an exception to sign our 1st round pick and every 1st round pick we acquire. We will be hard capped at the Apron if we use our non-taxpayer MLE, BAE, or do a sign & trade.


D .... I have no idea what we do now, but I know we have tons of options.

First, we better resign Whiteside with a Nurkic-like contract. He's easily the best FA if you added him to that list of scrubs previously mentioned. Next is replacing Ariza. Interesting that you mention S&T. I wonder if Ariza is an option for this? Can you combine an S&T, (for instance: to the Lakers for Kuzma), and use a TPE? I would also consider one of, Trent or Little as a trade chip. Likely Little, as Trent seems perfect as a 6th-man. I also like the idea of Melo alot more now with Ariza likely sent packing.

A slimmed-down Kuzma could be that perfect addition, that I hope we add long-term, to the group we already have. If it were up to me, this seems very achievable in the real world. A scary, ferocious pack of Dogs. DOGS I tell ya!

Dame / Simons
CJ / Trent
Hood / Kuzma
Collins / Melo
Nurkic / Whiteside

We can trade Ariza instead of waiving him. A sign and trade isn't likely because that would have to come after free agent signing begin. We wouldn't be able to have a deal in hand when guarantee Ariza's $11M salary. A regular trade would be more possible because the deal can be made then executed after Ariza's salary is guaranteed. I think it's unlikely because who would trade a player worth $12M for Ariza right after he quit his team on a playoff run.

The TPE can be traded in a sign and trade or a regular trade.

I'm hopeful that Olshey will get us some good players. He has more chips than usual, but you never know if we have the right chips until deals are made.

Hood's reported progress is very positive. It's a big break for Blazers if he is ready near the start of next season.
Image
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#22 » by d-train » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 pm

GEE wrote:I really liked our chances in these playoffs... until I heard that Ariza is one of the few that won't participate in Orlando. I honestly don't care why. The fact is that we are NOW in HUGE need of a short-term (or long) SF, because not having him this year WILL affect the likelihood of his $11 million getting picked up. Too bad. I really hoped to have him here long-term. I thought he was the perfect fit at SF both short-term, and long-term as the backup, but, again, I don't think we'll ever see him in the Red & Black again.

We still have a chance. It's a small chance. We could repeat last years great play down the stretch. The biggest difference is last year we didn't face the best team until WCF. This year we probably play the best team in the 1st round. And, if we somehow get out of the 1st round, we face an equally tough team in the WCF's again, probably. I'm thinking both LA teams are as good as Warriors last year.
Image
PDX MM
Veteran
Posts: 2,689
And1: 885
Joined: Apr 27, 2010
Location: Hillsboro Oregon
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#23 » by PDX MM » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:31 am

" a player not committed to winning basketball"

Seriously? The guy is committed to his son and that is never a bad thing.
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#24 » by d-train » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:34 pm

What is wrong with people? Commitment to his son is taking care of his son while honoring all of his commitments. This is a big part of what a father is supposed to pass on to his son. Maybe, it's a fine thing for Ariza to retire from basketball because he can't honor the commitment. It's not a good thing to accept commitments than quit before the job is done.

I don't know how good a father Ariza is and I don't care. Maybe, he is worlds greatest dad. Quitting his job before his commitment is finished if not a fine example of good fathering.
Image
GEE
Rookie
Posts: 1,157
And1: 92
Joined: Aug 04, 2006

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#25 » by GEE » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:35 pm

Dad of the year candidate. I just love how people pretend to KNOW these players, their priorities and motivations. Fact is, he opted-out when we needed him most. I say he can stay out .
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,767
And1: 1,371
Joined: Sep 26, 2003
Contact:
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#26 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:45 pm

"Ariza, a starter, has been involved in a custody case over his 12-year old son, and the mother's choice of granting a court-ordered one month visitation period during the league's quarantine of teams in Orlando left Ariza to choose those parenting responsibilities over competing with the Blazers in the 22-team re-start, sources said." (CBS Sports)

What is wrong with some of you? You either don't have kids, kids are long gone, or you're a heartless bastard. Ariza is absolutely making the right decision for his son, for himself, and for his situation (custody battle). If you can't see that, then there is something very wrong with you. Not to mention this is supposed to be the off-season. For all we know, this may have been set up prior to COVID-19 and who knew back then what was about to happen?

I get that we all want Ariza to play. I WANT ARIZA TO PLAY!!! I also understand his situation and cannot fault him whatsoever. I think the Blazers had a whole lot better chance of advancing with Ariza than without him, but it is what it is. We don't know which players may not play for other teams for various reasons or who come down with COVID. I'm still not convinced we will have a season. 25 players with COVID in the past week? If you ask me, the season is over before it even begins.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Norm2953
RealGM
Posts: 11,691
And1: 633
Joined: May 17, 2003
Location: Oregon

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#27 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:18 pm

This is a blameless situation for both Trevor and Portland for his month with his son was scheduled during
a time when 99.99% of the time, the NBA is in its off season. Asking hm to sacrifice his time to fulfil a
business obligation only leads to a very unhappy player when the teams chances at advancing are
marginal. In a state which will likely pass NJ in positive cases of the CV in 2 days, I find it doubtful the
NBA (and MLB) will be able to finish their seasons for imagine the spot the NBA would be in if one of their
superstar players ended up needing hospitalization from this virus.
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#28 » by d-train » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:50 pm

Is "heartless bastard" an insult. I don't feel insulted. I sounds like something you might hear in the midst of a celebratory moment after a hard, long fought victory.

It's true, we don't know all that went into Ariza's decision. Frankly, if Ariza decided to quit the team because Blazers wouldn't guarantee his contract in 20-21, I could accept that. I would be on Ariza's side if this happened, but I don't know. It would be unfair to Blazers who have every right to expect Ariza to honor his contract, but the NBA gave Ariza an option. You can't blame Ariza for exploiting his options and playing hardball. The NBA screwed Blazers, not Ariza, if this is what happened.

The custody excuse is just an excuse. It's no reason Ariza can't play basketball. I have my grandson for 2 days a week because both his parents work. When he was 1 year old, it was a different job than now that he is 4 years old. I have had 5 12 year olds and any minute they had to spend with me was a job for them. No 12 year old wants to spend his whole day with a parent.

The smartest thing anyone has said about this issue is we don't know.
Image
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#29 » by d-train » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:53 pm

I'm waiting to find out how many players that had the China virus come back and play in the restart. The more that do is proof that the best way to deal with the virus is to get on with our lives.
Image
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,767
And1: 1,371
Joined: Sep 26, 2003
Contact:
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#30 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:28 pm

d-train wrote:Is "heartless bastard" an insult. I don't feel insulted. I sounds like something you might hear in the midst of a celebratory moment after a hard, long fought victory.

It's true, we don't know all that went into Ariza's decision. Frankly, if Ariza decided to quit the team because Blazers wouldn't guarantee his contract in 20-21, I could accept that. I would be on Ariza's side if this happened, but I don't know. It would be unfair to Blazers who have every right to expect Ariza to honor his contract, but the NBA gave Ariza an option. You can't blame Ariza for exploiting his options and playing hardball. The NBA screwed Blazers, not Ariza, if this is what happened.

The custody excuse is just an excuse. It's no reason Ariza can't play basketball. I have my grandson for 2 days a week because both his parents work. When he was 1 year old, it was a different job than now that he is 4 years old. I have had 5 12 year olds and any minute they had to spend with me was a job for them. No 12 year old wants to spend his whole day with a parent.

The smartest thing anyone has said about this issue is we don't know.


You watching your grandson for 2 days a week, either at your house or their house, is not even close to the same situation NBA players will be facing in Orlando. I'm not sure why you would even compare the two situations.

Either he leaves the kid home and doesn't see him during his one month court ordered visitation schedule or he takes the kid with him and exposes him to potential COVID risks. I just don't get why you don't understand this. No need to respond. I'm done with this topic.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#31 » by d-train » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:10 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:You watching your grandson for 2 days a week, either at your house or their house, is not even close to the same situation NBA players will be facing in Orlando. I'm not sure why you would even compare the two situations.

Either he leaves the kid home and doesn't see him during his one month court ordered visitation schedule or he takes the kid with him and exposes him to potential COVID risks. I just don't get why you don't understand this. No need to respond. I'm done with this topic.

The point I was trying to make is a 12 year old isn't like a 1 year old or a 4 year old. Some 12 year olds are young men and some are still very immature, but in any case they don't need constant caretaking. A 12 year old doesn't need a babysitter.

Edit: At least not the 12 year olds that I had. My experience is anecdotal, as is everyone's who hasn't done a academic study into parenting a 12 year old.
Image
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
Posts: 12,222
And1: 3,384
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#32 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:31 pm

d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:You watching your grandson for 2 days a week, either at your house or their house, is not even close to the same situation NBA players will be facing in Orlando. I'm not sure why you would even compare the two situations.

Either he leaves the kid home and doesn't see him during his one month court ordered visitation schedule or he takes the kid with him and exposes him to potential COVID risks. I just don't get why you don't understand this. No need to respond. I'm done with this topic.

The point I was trying to make is a 12 year old isn't like a 1 year old or a 4 year old. Some 12 year olds are young men and some are still very immature, but in any case they don't need constant caretaking. A 12 year old doesn't need a babysitter.

Edit: At least not the 12 year olds that I had. My experience is anecdotal, as is everyone's who hasn't done a academic study into parenting a 12 year old.


Your argument got exposed badly, as we aren't talking a 9-5 job. No 12 year old can go a month without a parent. You dont need an academic study to know that.
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#33 » by d-train » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:37 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:You watching your grandson for 2 days a week, either at your house or their house, is not even close to the same situation NBA players will be facing in Orlando. I'm not sure why you would even compare the two situations.

Either he leaves the kid home and doesn't see him during his one month court ordered visitation schedule or he takes the kid with him and exposes him to potential COVID risks. I just don't get why you don't understand this. No need to respond. I'm done with this topic.

The point I was trying to make is a 12 year old isn't like a 1 year old or a 4 year old. Some 12 year olds are young men and some are still very immature, but in any case they don't need constant caretaking. A 12 year old doesn't need a babysitter.

Edit: At least not the 12 year olds that I had. My experience is anecdotal, as is everyone's who hasn't done a academic study into parenting a 12 year old.


Just admit your argument got exposed badly. No 12 year old can go a month without a parent. You dont need an academic study to know that.

You should admit, you lose the argument once you have to misrepresent the other side of the argument. Who said Ariza should leave his son without a parent for a month? Let's take a survey of 12 year old boys and see how many of them would want to be in a bubble with their NBA heros for a month.
Image
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
Posts: 12,222
And1: 3,384
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#34 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:59 pm

d-train wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
d-train wrote:The point I was trying to make is a 12 year old isn't like a 1 year old or a 4 year old. Some 12 year olds are young men and some are still very immature, but in any case they don't need constant caretaking. A 12 year old doesn't need a babysitter.

Edit: At least not the 12 year olds that I had. My experience is anecdotal, as is everyone's who hasn't done a academic study into parenting a 12 year old.


Just admit your argument got exposed badly. No 12 year old can go a month without a parent. You dont need an academic study to know that.

You should admit, you lose the argument once you have to misrepresent the other side of the argument. Who said Ariza should leave his son without a parent for a month? Let's take a survey of 12 year old boys and see how many of them would want to be in a bubble with their NBA heros for a month.


Lol ok buddy.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,767
And1: 1,371
Joined: Sep 26, 2003
Contact:
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#35 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Jul 2, 2020 10:31 pm

Where's the IGNORE button located!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Goldbum
Starter
Posts: 2,481
And1: 244
Joined: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#36 » by Goldbum » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:48 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Where's the IGNORE button located!

Exactly, I didn't bother after the second rant. No reasoning with the unreasonable (in regards to this topic, some people just have strong opinions and don't want to see the other side).
I'm a stranger in a strange land.
If you ever see a 6'8" white dude running around SLC with a big Blazers tattoo on his right arm... Say whats up.
Skybox
Starter
Posts: 2,381
And1: 1,400
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#37 » by Skybox » Sun Jul 5, 2020 12:38 pm

I keep thinking the Mom is the real villain here for not making adjustments in the agreement given this unique unprecedented situation...I’m all for players sacrificing for the $$ health of this very supportive, progressive league that has been so good to them but I don’t fault Ariza, in particular.
Matt800
Pro Prospect
Posts: 811
And1: 236
Joined: Aug 01, 2014

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#38 » by Matt800 » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:33 am

While I'm happy we might get any basketball, it's still sad that Ariza won't be there. If Ariza was playing while Nurkic and Collins are back, there wouldn't be a huge weakness at any position. That would have been nice to see. And the team hasn't had that in a long time.
Norm2953
RealGM
Posts: 11,691
And1: 633
Joined: May 17, 2003
Location: Oregon

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#39 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:49 am

There are no guarantees either the NBA or MLB will be able to complete their seasons especially
with the NBA opting to resume their season in a virus ridden state like Florida. The Miami Heat
had do shut down their practice facility after three of their players came down with the virus and
I could see the players opting to leave the bubble if one of their star players tested positive.
User avatar
d-train
RealGM
Posts: 19,851
And1: 859
Joined: Mar 26, 2001
   

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#40 » by d-train » Mon Jul 6, 2020 5:37 pm

Numerous recovered China virus infected players will play in the NBA bubble. It's going to be a great example for all Americans to get on with our lives. We need to stop believing that every problem must be resolved with a single uniform and universal solution. People at risk of the virus need to take greater measures than people not at risk. And, resources need to be concentrated to assist people at risk.
Image

Return to Portland Trail Blazers