10%

Total votes: 21

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,410

Re: Carmelo Anthony 

Post#21 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:23 pm

I think these 8 games will provide Portland with a lot of opportunities before heading into next season. How does Melo fit at SF? Can Whiteside co-exist with Nurk and Collins. If everything comes together, the Blazers could be a really dangerous team to face. I sure wish Ariza was with them, but can't blame him for staying home. When his month long visitation is over with his son, could he join the team if they make the playoffs? I don't know exactly what the time frame is for the visitation, but I would guess the end of July and/or the month of August. IF...

Melo is hungry and plays well during the bubble AND
Whiteside fits in with Nurkic and Collins AND
Hood comes back next season and picks up where he left off last fall AND
Trent Jr continues to improve his game AND
Simons finds his game

That is a pretty talented and versatile team next year. I'm really liking the idea of that team for the 2020-21 season.

Lillard / Simons / 2020 Draft Pick
McCollum / Trent Jr / Hezonja
Hood / Ariza / Little
Collins / Anthony / Gabriel
Nurkic / Whiteside / 2020 Draft Pick
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 884

Post#22 » by mojomarc » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:13 pm

d-train wrote:It's going to be a challenge for Melo and CJ. Lillard is going to run the show with Nurkic as his primary outlet. CJ and Melo have to play off of the action between Lillard and Nurkic. CJ's and Melo's numbers will be down, but there job is to be options for Lillard's and Nurk's 2-man game. Nobody is going to complain if the chemistry works. CJ and Melo will get the blame if it doesn't work, even if they do their jobs perfectly.

I'm honestly not terribly concerned. I'm even pretty excited to see it. I can see Melo and Zach trading off on who is the weakside board crasher vs. three point outlet, while Dame/CJ/Nurk play a bit of a triangle. I think at this point it is clear Melo came to Portland in large part because of Dame, and because of Dame Portland was willing to give him a chance. He was able to prove he can still play at a high level, and the chemistry is pretty darned good. I can see Whiteside upsetting the apple cart here, but I see Melo still very happy he has the chance in PDX and that he can play out this part of his career with Dame.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 876

Post#23 » by d-train » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:47 am

mojomarc wrote:
d-train wrote:It's going to be a challenge for Melo and CJ. Lillard is going to run the show with Nurkic as his primary outlet. CJ and Melo have to play off of the action between Lillard and Nurkic. CJ's and Melo's numbers will be down, but there job is to be options for Lillard's and Nurk's 2-man game. Nobody is going to complain if the chemistry works. CJ and Melo will get the blame if it doesn't work, even if they do their jobs perfectly.

I'm honestly not terribly concerned. I'm even pretty excited to see it. I can see Melo and Zach trading off on who is the weakside board crasher vs. three point outlet, while Dame/CJ/Nurk play a bit of a triangle. I think at this point it is clear Melo came to Portland in large part because of Dame, and because of Dame Portland was willing to give him a chance. He was able to prove he can still play at a high level, and the chemistry is pretty darned good. I can see Whiteside upsetting the apple cart here, but I see Melo still very happy he has the chance in PDX and that he can play out this part of his career with Dame.

I'm not concerned about our players. We have a good group of players. I'm concerned the NBA has rigged the process in favor of Pelicans so heavily that we will not get a play-in against Grizzlies. Our team is good enough to beat the Lakers, but might not be good enough to overcome the NBA's desire for the 10th place team to surpass the 9th place team in the standings.
d-train
RealGM

Post#24 » by d-train » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:06 am

Lillard just said the 3 is Melo's natural position. He's right, obviously. Melo is a 3. He is capable of playing some 4. He has had to play a lot of 4 since leaving Denver because he has been on a lot of bad teams, or teams that didn't have a 4.
d-train
RealGM

Post#25 » by d-train » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:06 pm

What's better, good offense or defense? Good offense beats good defense most of the time. It's really all about coordinated decision making and who does it better. There are just as many decisions being made on defense as offense. Generally, a good offensive team doesn't get stupid and make bad decisions on defense. The final element is commitment. Who is most committed?

To me, our first 5 guys (Lillard, CJ, Nurkic, Melo, and Collins) look like a dream team. Everyone is smart, skilled, and has their head screwed on right. Hopefully, our bench (Simons, Trent, Whiteside, Little, Hezonja, Gabriel, and Adams) are able to get the job done.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers