ImageImage

Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Posts: 15,238
And1: 6,277
Joined: Dec 10, 2004

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#21 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 am

I love Nurk. And Gabriel!
User avatar
monopoman
General Manager
Posts: 8,932
And1: 3,477
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
     

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#22 » by monopoman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:19 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:nurk is 1/5 on 3-pointers and i hope he keeps shooting them regularly, we need him to develop that 3-pointer

he looks really good, but i expected it, unlike many who had doubts hell be as good as before

hes on his way to becoming an all-star


He apparently shoots them much better in practice, so I don't think he will be shy about taking them.
User avatar
Dzon Dilindzer
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,726
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2016
   

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#23 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:32 am

monopoman wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:nurk is 1/5 on 3-pointers and i hope he keeps shooting them regularly, we need him to develop that 3-pointer

he looks really good, but i expected it, unlike many who had doubts hell be as good as before

hes on his way to becoming an all-star

He apparently shoots them much better in practice, so I don't think he will be shy about taking them.

hes been shooting and making them in practice for a long time

every game one or two 3-pointers is something i can live with
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,893
And1: 1,417
Joined: Sep 26, 2003
Contact:
   

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#24 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:34 am

Everyone makes 3 point shots in practice
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
User avatar
Dzon Dilindzer
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,726
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2016
   

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#25 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:42 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Everyone makes 3 point shots in practice

exactly

thats why i want him to shoot them in the games, thats the real practice
Matt800
Pro Prospect
Posts: 862
And1: 242
Joined: Aug 01, 2014

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#26 » by Matt800 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:06 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Everyone makes 3 point shots in practice

exactly

thats why i want him to shoot them in the games, thats the real practice


It looks like his form has improved too, so it wouldn't be surprising if he started making 3s at a decent percentage.

It's great that Whiteside has been pretty consistent too as a shooter. His pre Portland career 3 numbers vs at Portland are very different. 8-25 for his career, and 4-7 at Portland. So 4-18 pre Portland.
User avatar
Dzon Dilindzer
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,726
And1: 1,556
Joined: Jun 24, 2016
   

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#27 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:15 am

i think terry stotts said nurk is shooting 55% on 3-pointers in the gym

i dont know how that translates in the games, what the percentage would be
Goldbum
Veteran
Posts: 2,532
And1: 260
Joined: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
     

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#28 » by Goldbum » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:46 am

I think maybe we need to see some Adams In the last scrimmage with ANT more at SG or out of the rotation.
I'm a stranger in a strange land.
If you ever see a 6'8" white dude running around SLC with a big Blazers tattoo on his right arm... Say whats up.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
Posts: 12,263
And1: 3,417
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#29 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:24 am

Matt800 wrote:The portland 3 point defense is still really bad


Yeah. Who knows maybe over a series we can make up for that with our defense and interior defense (doubt it, but maybe), but its going to really hurt us getting to the playoffs if several games we are guaranteed to lose because another team got hot from 3. In a series you just need to win 1 more game than the other team, but we need to do much better than 1 game over .500 to make the playoffs.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
Posts: 12,263
And1: 3,417
Joined: Mar 11, 2010

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#30 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:33 am

Goldbum wrote:I think maybe we need to see some Adams In the last scrimmage with ANT more at SG or out of the rotation.


He didn't get much time so I'm not going to judge him too much, but he didn't impress me yet.

I don't know what Olshey's allergy to just a safe game-manager type pass-first point guard who can run the second and third unit and get the most out of our bench players, he always wants to swing big on score-first guards and mediocre score-first guys really hurt offensive flow. Guys like Gabriel, Little, Trent and Simons would do better with a more consistent offensive structure led by a more veteran and experienced guard.

But I have been griping about this for years and not expecting it to change.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,893
And1: 1,417
Joined: Sep 26, 2003
Contact:
   

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#31 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:58 am

Adam's will not play unless someone (either team) throws in the towel in the 4th quarter. The rotation will tighten. Whiteside and Trent Jr will play and I imagine Simon's will play, but Lillard or CJ should be on the court at all times, which means little time for Simon's (I hope). Maybe Little will get a "little" time, as well.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
User avatar
monopoman
General Manager
Posts: 8,932
And1: 3,477
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
     

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#32 » by monopoman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:59 am

Is there any place to see the box score of this scrimmage game? I just want to see the stats for all the players, beyond knowing obviously Toronto won by 6 points if I recall.
User avatar
Shem
RealGM
Posts: 15,096
And1: 3,090
Joined: Dec 15, 2009
     

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#33 » by Shem » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:28 am

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland


Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
User avatar
Shem
RealGM
Posts: 15,096
And1: 3,090
Joined: Dec 15, 2009
     

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#34 » by Shem » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 am

monopoman wrote:Is there any place to see the box score of this scrimmage game? I just want to see the stats for all the players, beyond knowing obviously Toronto won by 6 points if I recall.

https://www.nba.com/games/20200726/PORTOR#/boxscore
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland


Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
zzaj
Head Coach
Posts: 6,558
And1: 1,892
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
 

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#35 » by zzaj » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:20 pm

Finally got a chance to pipe in with what I see, granted these are basically summer league games so far...

1) Boy, it sure is good to see Nurkic play...

2) IMHO, the Nurkic/Whiteside/Zach trio is going to fail. Despite Zach being fairly mobile and Nurkic looking perhaps slightly more mobile than before, they simply lack the quickness and athletic ability to stay with switches on the perimeter. Hassan is of course a lost cause out that far, but the other two always cheat to the key too much after years of training as bigs. Nurkic and Hassan should NEVER be on the floor together, especially since Hassan is a minus player to begin with...

3) Melo looks washed.

4) I am not really impressed with any of the young talent on this team, with the exception (oddly enough) of Hoard.

5) Outside of Lillard/Nurkic/CJ, I don't think there is a single player on the team that belongs as a big rotation piece on a good playoff, or certainly contending team.

6) As before, I don't see any way to improve the roster dramatically enough in the next few years to make the best use of Lillard's prime, sadly. I hope he stays true to his word and retires a Blazer--there will be temptation for him not to do so.
GEE
Rookie
Posts: 1,184
And1: 95
Joined: Aug 04, 2006

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#36 » by GEE » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:54 am

zzaj wrote:Finally got a chance to pipe in with what I see, granted these are basically summer league games so far...

1) Boy, it sure is good to see Nurkic play...

2) IMHO, the Nurkic/Whiteside/Zach trio is going to fail. Despite Zach being fairly mobile and Nurkic looking perhaps slightly more mobile than before, they simply lack the quickness and athletic ability to stay with switches on the perimeter. Hassan is of course a lost cause out that far, but the other two always cheat to the key too much after years of training as bigs. Nurkic and Hassan should NEVER be on the floor together, especially since Hassan is a minus player to begin with...

3) Melo looks washed.

4) I am not really impressed with any of the young talent on this team, with the exception (oddly enough) of Hoard.

5) Outside of Lillard/Nurkic/CJ, I don't think there is a single player on the team that belongs as a big rotation piece on a good playoff, or certainly contending team.

6) As before, I don't see any way to improve the roster dramatically enough in the next few years to make the best use of Lillard's prime, sadly. I hope he stays true to his word and retires a Blazer--there will be temptation for him not to do so.


Wow... this must be some click-bait cause I think I disagree with everything said here. No offense of course. We all have a right to our own opinion, but damn.

Moving on... I just wanted to point out that it's going to look a little ugly out there, if you are using the games wisely. Stotts isn't going to tip his hand and show his cards (or sets). More likely it's gonna be more AAU style, until the first real game. The Blazers are experimenting with different combinations of players, while getting their legs back, and playing against non-teammates again. Obvious rust out there, but I really am optimistic about this group both this year, and into the future.

As others have led onto, I would like to see against Memphis:
A) One of Dame or CJ on the floor at all times (Except Garbage Time).

B) Two of: Nurkic, Collins and Whiteside on the floor... (EGT)

C) Melo owns the SF position, and can sub himself out afaic. Gold Medal Dream Teamer that gets respect.

D) Fill in the pieces with:
1. A rotation, with one of GTJ or Simons, when either Dame or CJ rests (as needed), so maybe (edit)18mpg
(+/- 5) to split between both guard positions. I also don't want GTJ and Simons on the floor at the same time (EGT).

2. I said it when the trade happened, I didn't think Gabriel was just a salary matching throw-in to the
SAC trade. A blue-chipper that obviously has game. I'm hoping he can be our X-factor/secret weapon,
and just be good enough to allow Melo to get a breather when he needs one. 13 mpg (+/-4).

3. I don't want to have to go any deeper but we have Little and Rio for insurance.

4. Hoard... LMAO! I envision consistency in his game, in that DNP coaches decision are in his future. If you
like this kid, get a good look next game, cause it's likely his last.

RIP CITY!!!
BlazersBroncos
Analyst
Posts: 3,216
And1: 2,259
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#37 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:54 pm

1) Boy, it sure is good to see Nurkic play...

2) IMHO, the Nurkic/Whiteside/Zach trio is going to fail. Despite Zach being fairly mobile and Nurkic looking perhaps slightly more mobile than before, they simply lack the quickness and athletic ability to stay with switches on the perimeter. Hassan is of course a lost cause out that far, but the other two always cheat to the key too much after years of training as bigs. Nurkic and Hassan should NEVER be on the floor together, especially since Hassan is a minus player to begin with...

3) Melo looks washed.

4) I am not really impressed with any of the young talent on this team, with the exception (oddly enough) of Hoard.

5) Outside of Lillard/Nurkic/CJ, I don't think there is a single player on the team that belongs as a big rotation piece on a good playoff, or certainly contending team.

6) As before, I don't see any way to improve the roster dramatically enough in the next few years to make the best use of Lillard's prime, sadly. I hope he stays true to his word and retires a Blazer--there will be temptation for him not to do so.


I tend to agree with most of this. The idea that this team is anywhere near really contending is absolutely nuts. Its why I strongly disagree with the popular notion that we are a 3/D SF away from raising a banner. We need talent, all types of talent, across the board. I think we are soon to be clearly lapped in the contending department by Denver and Dallas and would also worry about Memphis taking a clear step next season. We need changes but with COVID and the potential sale of the team I see very little to indicate we are going to spend on be aggressive the way we need to be in order to remain relevant. I think its going to be a tough summer.
Village Idiot
General Manager
Posts: 7,798
And1: 985
Joined: Jan 23, 2005
Location: location, location
     

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#38 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:01 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I don't know what Olshey's allergy to just a safe game-manager type pass-first point guard who can run the second and third unit and get the most out of our bench players, he always wants to swing big on score-first guards and mediocre score-first guys really hurt offensive flow. Guys like Gabriel, Little, Trent and Simons would do better with a more consistent offensive structure led by a more veteran and experienced guard.

But I have been griping about this for years and not expecting it to change.
Goran Dragic is an upcoming free-agent who would fit that role perfectly.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Dan G.
zzaj
Head Coach
Posts: 6,558
And1: 1,892
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
 

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#39 » by zzaj » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:54 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I don't know what Olshey's allergy to just a safe game-manager type pass-first point guard who can run the second and third unit and get the most out of our bench players, he always wants to swing big on score-first guards and mediocre score-first guys really hurt offensive flow. Guys like Gabriel, Little, Trent and Simons would do better with a more consistent offensive structure led by a more veteran and experienced guard.

But I have been griping about this for years and not expecting it to change.
Goran Dragic is an upcoming free-agent who would fit that role perfectly.


Dragic would likely fit in well on this team, especially with Lillard--just about anybody with passing acumen would. Dragic is 34 and his last salary was 17M/year. I can't imagine the Blazers are going to commit to anything close to that given their payroll situation.
Village Idiot
General Manager
Posts: 7,798
And1: 985
Joined: Jan 23, 2005
Location: location, location
     

Re: Scrimmage #2: Portland vs Toronto 3pm 

Post#40 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 pm

zzaj wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I don't know what Olshey's allergy to just a safe game-manager type pass-first point guard who can run the second and third unit and get the most out of our bench players, he always wants to swing big on score-first guards and mediocre score-first guys really hurt offensive flow. Guys like Gabriel, Little, Trent and Simons would do better with a more consistent offensive structure led by a more veteran and experienced guard.

But I have been griping about this for years and not expecting it to change.
Goran Dragic is an upcoming free-agent who would fit that role perfectly.


Dragic would likely fit in well on this team, especially with Lillard--just about anybody with passing acumen would. Dragic is 34 and his last salary was 17M/year. I can't imagine the Blazers are going to commit to anything close to that given their payroll situation.
Given his age and the precarious state of the league's finances Dragic should be available for the BAE
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Dan G.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers