ImageImage

How much has Melo got left in the tank?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Re: How much has Melo got left in the tank? 

Post#21 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:19 pm

monopoman wrote:Melo had a pretty damn great season as a Blazer especially if you look at $ spent vs. productivity. He needs the right situation to really shine though, and who knows if he will be as focused as he was this last season. If we were paying him say $10 million a season I think he would have been more underwhelming when looking at his entire year, but I think he can help teams win and is a solid deal around the Vet min.

I disagree about how 'good' he was this season. He was in fairly surprising shape considering his recent past, but if you look at his numbers in OKC and in Portland, he was actually a little better in OKC. I think Blazer fans were so desperate for a feel-good story this year, they latched onto Melo and thought he was better than he was

but I do agree he'd be decent 'addition' at the vet minimum. Using any part of the MLE on him would be just more mismanagement and locking the Blazers further in their place in purgatory. Melo needs to be a 5th or 6th option, not the third
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#22 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:08 pm

I disagree about how 'good' he was this season. He was in fairly surprising shape considering his recent past, but if you look at his numbers in OKC and in Portland, he was actually a little better in OKC. I think Blazer fans were so desperate for a feel-good story this year, they latched onto Melo and thought he was better than he was

but I do agree he'd be decent 'addition' at the vet minimum. Using any part of the MLE on him would be just more mismanagement and locking the Blazers further in their place in purgatory. Melo needs to be a 5th or 6th option, not the third

I think a team with a championship talent level would see Melo as a taller Eddie House during his Boston days. 18mpg guy who is a microwave off the bench but isnt relied on when the game really matters.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#23 » by monopoman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:35 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
monopoman wrote:Melo had a pretty damn great season as a Blazer especially if you look at $ spent vs. productivity. He needs the right situation to really shine though, and who knows if he will be as focused as he was this last season. If we were paying him say $10 million a season I think he would have been more underwhelming when looking at his entire year, but I think he can help teams win and is a solid deal around the Vet min.

He had some very impressive moments near the end of the game in a few instances, games that could have easily been losses if not for Melo's contribution.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#24 » by GEE » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:11 pm

If we simply hit the reset button, he'd be our 4th option now, which is fantastic for a BAE level contract, but IMO he adds so much more, and I think he would have a pretty clear role on the Blazers, Long-term, vs Ring chasing year to year:

- He can ring chase here! Why not? Could signing Melo, provide the additional bonus as a recruiter of talent? Could he make us a more likable option to semi-big name FA? Why not here? It could be a great, ring-chasing destination for today's NBA Stars.

- We have an obvious short term hole at SF, at least until we know how Hood will fare. Plus, there IS the issue of Collins becoming more dependable, so... he could get fairly heavy minutes next year, which is what he clearly desires.

- I think he proved to us last year, that if in shape and motivated, he can still be a very good defensive player. He has the knowledge and experience of very few, and with the off-season to prepare, he could look even better than last year's "Skinny Melo".

- I would love to see him accept a role as mentor, much like Vince Carter did. I could see guys like Little and Gabriel, becoming studs under his study. Melo could be a player-coach for several more years with the Blazers, playing less and less minutes, as the years go by.

- HOF'r, Period. This demands respect from all, and should help with the refs, which has been a huge issue for us IMO. Unfortunately the officiating matters.

- He also appeared fairly happy while here, and the other players seemed to really like him as well, which I think is hugely important. All in all, he's a great fit, IF, he accepts this type of future role.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#25 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Nov 2, 2020 7:34 pm

- He can ring chase here! Why not? Could signing Melo, provide the additional bonus as a recruiter of talent? Could he make us a more likable option to semi-big name FA? Why not here? It could be a great, ring-chasing destination for today's NBA Stars.

He cant ring chase here because this team is nowhere near good enough to compete at that level. We need a second star and defensive upgrades across the board to be a true contender, and I dont think we can check either of those boxes anytime soon.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers