ImageImage

Harry Giles welcome to the squad!

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Harry Giles welcome to the squad! 

Post#61 » by d-train » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:49 pm

I don't mind Blazers adding Harden, but I don't want Rockets problems. And, I have no interest in paying fair value. There is no reason for Blazers to change our team unless we get an offer that can't be refused. I wouldn't give spit for him if Harden wasn't begging to join the Blazers.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#62 » by Norm2953 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:16 pm

I do think Zach is going to be a 12 year man in the league assuming he stays healthy but he's not going to be a difference maker. He's not the worst player picked at 10, playing in the league.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#63 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:34 pm

I do think Zach is going to be a 12 year man in the league assuming he stays healthy but he's not going to be a difference maker. He's not the worst player picked at 10, playing in the league.

I like Zach, just not sure he will be worth the $$$ this summer. Especially if Giles can string together a quality 15-20 game stretch.

I am a fan of Zach for PJ Tucker. Get another win-now guy who can be our enforcer for 15-18mpg to keep his old legs fresh. He would be huge in the PO's too.
d-train
RealGM

Post#64 » by d-train » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:28 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I like Zach, just not sure he will be worth the $$$ this summer. Especially if Giles can string together a quality 15-20 game stretch.

I am a fan of Zach for PJ Tucker. Get another win-now guy who can be our enforcer for 15-18mpg to keep his old legs fresh. He would be huge in the PO's too.

Zach, when healthy, fills a need that elevates us to a better team. Tucker would be a win never player, unless you want to replace RoCo, DJJ, Melo, Hood, or Trent. Tucker could certainly ably replace one of those players, but there is no worthwhile reason to do that. There is good reason to not waste growth opportunity just to engage in roster churn.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#65 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:24 pm

Zach, when healthy, fills a need that elevates us to a better team. Tucker would be a win never player, unless you want to replace RoCo, DJJ, Melo, Hood, or Trent. Tucker could certainly ably replace one of those players, but there is no worthwhile reason to do that. There is good reason to not waste growth opportunity just to engage in roster churn.

Tucker is a PF. He hasnt played more than 39% of his minutes at SF since 16/17.

And this isnt just roster churn, its contingent on Giles showing out for a good portion of the season and PDX deciding to gamble on moving Zach so they dont lose him for nothing. Tucker is expiring too but at his age likely demands a good deal less years and $$$.

I would be wary on Giles pricing himself out of the MLE and PDX basically ending up with no young bigs after moving Zach for Tucker, but I think its a worthy gamble.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#66 » by JasonStern » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:54 pm

Case2012 wrote:Pre season or not, when have we ever seen stat lines from Zach, a top ten pick, like the ones we saw from Harry? Zach was a bad pick at 10 and if we have the opportunity to turn all our "assets" into a win now player we do it. Zach at 10 is a bust but could be a decent bench player of he starts healthy, and we won't even know until next year if little can play or not.

I remember being so excited when the Blazers drafted John Collins.
I also remember the moment when I realized the Blazers actually drafted Zach Collins.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#67 » by d-train » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:58 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Tucker is a PF. He hasnt played more than 39% of his minutes at SF since 16/17.

And this isnt just roster churn, its contingent on Giles showing out for a good portion of the season and PDX deciding to gamble on moving Zach so they dont lose him for nothing. Tucker is expiring too but at his age likely demands a good deal less years and $$$.

I would be wary on Giles pricing himself out of the MLE and PDX basically ending up with no young bigs after moving Zach for Tucker, but I think its a worthy gamble.

Tucker is a SF on a team that has no PF. This doesn't make him a PF. Tucker is a good position defender. He isn't a rim protector.

Your logic is flawed. We don't have to lose Zach because we have have options that guarantee we can keep him if we want him. If Giles beats out Zach (a big unlikely if), than I guarantee you he has played his way out of any option we have to keep him. And, I don't think this would be a good reason to trade Giles. Keeping and enjoying Giles for 1 season is an excellent alternative to trading him.

I don't see Giles replacing Zach's defense. If Giles suddenly develops a dedication and work ethic for defense, then great. We can't have enough hard workers dedicated to playing defense.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#68 » by Norm2953 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:21 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Zach is going to be a RFA this off season and based on his injury riddled seasons, I'm doubtful would attract many
offers that would concern Portland. If he does struggles to stay on the court, its likely he'll sign a one year prove it
deal and become a UFA in 2022. Both Zach and Giles have to stay on the court in order to really concern Portland.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#69 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:48 pm

Zach is going to be a RFA this off season and based on his injury riddled seasons, I'm doubtful would attract many
offers that would concern Portland. If he does struggles to stay on the court, its likely he'll sign a one year prove it
deal and become a UFA in 2022. Both Zach and Giles have to stay on the court in order to really concern Portland.

I wouldnt be sure on that. There are something like 9 teams with 20M+ in cap space summer 2021. Leonard and Holiday are almost surely off the market and Giannis / PG13 already resigned.

The upcoming summer is going to be very similar to 2016. Money to spend will burn holes in the owners / GM's pockets and you will see tons of overpays. GTJ and ZC have in-demand skillsets, are young and are on a team that has tons committed already in salary. We are in a prime position to get poached.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#70 » by Norm2953 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:54 am

I do think Portland will match any offers on GTJ but if ZC misses a lot of time (again), if another team
wants to poach ZC due to some perceived skill set, Portland will match any reasonable contract offers
but like Sacramento did with Bogdonavich, you let him walk if he gets a RFA offer that does not match up
for the 50-60 games he plays each year.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#71 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:12 pm

Giles looks good. I hope Stotts is smart enough to get him (and GTJ) on the court. With time and normal development ... it feels like a switch is ready to go on that Giles will just play and belong out there ... a lot ...

... don’t get me wrong. He looks likes an NBA player already.

1. Collins out for the foreseeable future.
2. Kanter as an O rebounder, near-the-hoop savant ... tries elsewhere ... not good D ...
3. Nurkic a top 10 starting center at both ends, but not with quick feet ...

Giles gets this time on court to develop into a serious NBA big who fits today’s game. For me, it’s not a Giles or Collins choice. It’s both.

[RoCo is great to have — for YEARS as a forward. And Jones is an athletic version of Tayshaun Prince in training. Prince was “quietly” excellent. Jones doesn’t have that control, yet, on D.]

It’s just too early for me to give a strong opinion on if Giles will be a core guy on the Blazers. Play him, Stotts. Kanter is not the future for the Blazers. Giles may be.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#72 » by Epicurus » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:27 pm

No, but Kanter is the present.He is an excellent backup C. Yes, Giles impresses, but don't see the situation as Kanter or Giles. Situations will make determinations with the whole backline.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#73 » by GEE » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:50 pm

So far, every time Giles gets into a game, there's been an immediate change in chemistry. He brings a jolt of energy off the bench, much like the one GTJ provides.

Once the rotations finally get figured out, is when the Blazers will begin to ball out... or should I say if they get it figured out. In this case though, Getting Giles a handful of minutes in the 1st half seems like a no-brainer to me. It seems to me that with Collins being out, Giles should be right behind Melo for minutes. Get him a handful in the first half of games, and if he plays well and Melo looks less than great, give him another handful in the 2nd half.

Stotts... Do not bury this kid, he deserves the chance to play, and might turn out having GTJ-like results.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#74 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:39 pm

Giles will get playing time on a situational basis. When the Blazers play a smaller, quicker team, I think Giles will get the call as Kanter can't keep up. We saw this the other night against the Warriors. I think they will always go with Kanter to start with, but may switch it up if he is having issues with the opposing center. I like what I've seen from Giles so far.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#75 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:26 pm

I'd like to see Giles do a bit more aggressive preparation on D of his guy PRIOR to guys getting position. A little more physicality and motor overall. It hasn't been in crucial times of a game. BUT I'd like to see it as just part of his game. Tim Duncan didn't have to look like he was being uber aggressive and physical, but he always seemed prepared to defend. Keeping guys out of positions they wanted. He calmly went about his business at both ends. When he needed to move quickly, forcefully, he did. Just being locked in.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#76 » by Pattycakes » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 pm

#freeharry
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#77 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:05 pm

Nurkic and Collins being out may be a blessing for Giles, should see some extended PT behind Kanter now. And tell Nurkic he needs to drink more milk, he's too good of a player to see him sitting on the bench with injuries.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers