G.Payton III
No votes

Total votes: 5

skoharry
Junior
And1: 20

We need a 3rd PGn 

Post#1 » by skoharry » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:23 pm

Now while there's hope that Simons improves his playmaking/passing/decision making skills, it would still be nice to have another option at backup PG. So vote as to who would be your choice and explain if you want. My choice would be Napier or Thomas. Napier because of his improved play the last couple seasons. Thomas is because he's kind of in the same boat as Melo and we seem to be the only team willing to take a chance on these kind of players. I mean before Washington traded him and was eventually waived by the clipper's.... Thomas was having a decent season with averages of 12ppg, 3apg, and shooting 40% from the 3. I think he's just looking for a team to take a chance on him even if it's just for the veteran minimum and he only plays 4-8 minutes. We could potentially do for him what we did for melo. It's a low cost, potentially high reward idea. Plus he kind of plays like Dame on the offensive end. But if dame were to miss an extended period of time for whatever reason, then we would be kicking ourselves for missing out on a 3rd backup PG who has experience running an offense as a starter. Cause I would not want Simons running the offense as is. But Thomas, Knight, and Jackson would be logical choices given they have been a starting PG running an offense for multiple games and a couple of them even have playoff experience. But I like Napier the most
Defense and rebounding wins games
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: We need a 3rd PGn 

Post#2 » by d-train » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:37 pm

The best answer is none of the above.

The best thing about Blazers successfully getting under the luxury tax this year is it makes paying tax next year a more viable option.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#3 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:28 pm

I dont think we are going to add one, but I wish we would.

Napier would be the pick, he has played here before and is a nice regular season floor general for 12-15mpg.

Thomas is too ball dominant and will want more minutes than we can provide.

ET can play PG on offense, but is way too slow to guard PG on defense. Good locker room guy, but not a fit w/o a jumper IMO.

GPIII would be great if he could shoot, but he arguably is a worse outside shooter than Enes Kanter.

Knight actually is a nice fit on offense, in his short stint in CLE last year he had huge 3PT volume (7.4 per game) with a 38% hit rate. But his defense is absolutely, positively atrocious and renders him unplayable on a good team.

Frazier isnt getting back in the league IMO.

But its all moot, we dont have the minutes for a backup at this point. I think CJ actually will get the spot as we need more SG / SF minutes available for GTJ, Hood, DJJ, RoCo and potentially Melo. They all deserve 20mpg+, and wont get that even now w/o adding a backup PG.

Not to mention the salary ramifications of adding another contract.

Its just not happening.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#4 » by HoopsFanAZ » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:33 pm

None of the above.
Up against the tax threshold. Going above means shedding assets to get below by season’s end.
If a veteran PG is needed later, trade Little or Simons.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#5 » by Matt800 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:09 pm

I think the best option is CJ and Lillard. The team has generally kept one in at all times and that works fine. Now there is enough guard and forward depth that they can actually have a decent bench. CJ has been the lead guard for the bench often, but now that he has bench teammates that can score, he might pass more. We know he can pass from when Lillard has been out, so it's plausible that a main reason he didn't was a lack of trust in the bench unit of previous years.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#6 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:05 am

Our lack of creation and handle from the SG / SF position will be an interesting development this year. We certainly improved on defense and added athleticism, but outside Dame and CJ, and Nurk in the high post, we dont have many guys who are know to create at even a slightly above level for their position. I think we will be fine, but an injury to Dame or CJ could really hamper any sort of shot creation (And CJ isnt even that great)

Then again, an injury to Dame or CJ will hinder our ability to do much of anything so shot creation may not even matter lol
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#7 » by red_power » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:29 am

Blazers are done for the offseason. Simmons is going to absorb all the minutes behind Dame at the beginning of the season, for good or worse.

If he won't pan out, then Olshey might acquire someone else. Trades or buyout market can always help when the season approaches closer to the trade deadline.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:03 am

I just cant breakdown a reasonable minutes split that has Simons playing any type of consistent rotation role.

Yes, Melo agreed to come off the bench but he isnt going from 32 minutes to 12. He will still get a decent chunk. We didnt pay DJJ to be a benchwarmer, he will be handed 18-20mpg IMO. Both Hood and GTJ are too good to not be 24mpg players IMO. RoCo should be 28-30. All those guys are getting forward minutes (Albeit Melo mostly at PF). The only way to placate that sort of distribution is running CJ as the backup PG.

Not to mention Simons hasnt shown to be nearly as good as all the guys mentioned above. Playing CJ at PG and giving better players more SG / SF minutes is much better than forcing the issue by using Simons as the backup PG.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#9 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:22 am

Our "3rd PG" behind Dame/CJ might very well be Melo with Stotts maybe playing him a bit similar to Evan Turner. With enough shooters around him, maybe it could work.
d-train
RealGM

Post#10 » by d-train » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:17 am

I hope Blazers don't use Melo as point forward. I like the Melo we had last year and don't want any version of ball dominant Melo. I agree with NO that Melo would have more offensive opportunities with 1 or more starters out. He played most of last season with 1 or more starters out, which allowed Melo a high priority in offense. I think Melo should remain a secondary threat with Lillard or CJ as primary threat.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#11 » by GEE » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:28 am

I also would have voted for none of the above if given the choice, so it's a N/V for me. Reason being, I trust Olshey enough in his evaluation of talent, to believe in Simons in his 3rd year. It's a good poll of choices, in that Olshey's likely correct to say Simons is better than any other 3rd PG out there, that's willing to accept the role. If I had to chose, I'll take Simons over any of those choices too. Also worth mentioning is, with Mario now gone, there will be more pressure on Simons.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#12 » by monopoman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:38 am

I loved having Napier here, I felt he was exactly the type of backup PG any team could make use of.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#13 » by Village Idiot » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:11 am

Reggie Jackson is still unsigned.

Olshey stated in the press conference that we are a couple of hundred thousand below the tax threshold and that due to the repeater tax aren't likely to add anyone else besides 10 day contracts

If I were Stotts I'd have CJ as 6th man and not give Simons any run at all except for blowouts. Let CJ get all the back-up PG minutes. He has shown he can do a fine job at PG when Dame is out.

First Unit with substitution patterns per half. Obviously we could have different looks at the end of games and halves depending on needs and how the game is developing. My idea is have an awesome defensive 1st unit with plenty of offense. The second unit would be deadly offensively and just carve up opposing 2nd units and build leads the first unit would create.

Minute PG SG SF PF C
1 Lillard Trent Covington Collins Nurkic
2 Lillard Trent Covington Collins Nurkic
3 Lillard Trent Covington Collins Nurkic
4 Lillard Trent Covington Collins Nurkic
5 Lillard Trent Covington Collins Nurkic
6 Lillard McCollum Covington Collins Nurkic
7 Lillard McCollum Jones Covington Nurkic
8 Lillard McCollum Jones Covington Nurkic
9 McCollum Jones Hood Melo Kanter
10 McCollum Jones Hood Melo Kanter
11 McCollum Jones Hood Melo Kanter
12 McCollum Jones Hood Melo Kanter
13 McCollum Jones Hood Melo Kanter
14 McCollum Jones Hood Melo Kanter
15 McCollum Trent Jones Melo Kanter
16 Lillard Trent Jones Melo Kanter
17 Lillard Trent Covington Melo Kanter
18 Lillard Trent Covington Collins Nurkic
19 Lillard Trent Covington Collins Nurkic
20 Lillard McCollum Covington Collins Nurkic
21 Lillard McCollum Covington Collins Nurkic
22 Lillard McCollum Covington Collins Nurkic
23 Lillard McCollum Hood Covington Nurkic
24 Lillard McCollum Hood Covington Nurkic

That would give the following per game:

34 Lillard
32 Covington
30 Nurkic
30 McCollum
22 Collins
20 Trent
20 Jones
18 Melo
18 Kanter
16 Hood
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,843

Post#14 » by JasonStern » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:06 pm

A minimum contract would put the Blazers into the luxury tax, and the Blazers aren't paying taxes this season. So who do you get rid of to add a backup PG?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#15 » by d-train » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:18 pm

JasonStern wrote:A minimum contract would put the Blazers into the luxury tax, and the Blazers aren't paying taxes this season. So who do you get rid of to add a backup PG?

You are talking to the hand. Some people will not look at the numbers.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#16 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 pm

Olshey was pretty adamant that the Blazers have a backup PG and his name is Anfernee Simons. Don't quote me on that, but it's pretty close. Whether the Blazers have any money or not, Olshey is not signing anyone as the backup PG. If we're being honest, at least one of Lillard or McCollum will be on the floor at all times so technically, there is no need for a backup PG or Simons for that matter!!! I might buy the whole Simons thing if Olshey hadn't tried to sell that same guy last offseason. He made him sound like the best thing since sliced bread and instead, he played like sour milk while Trent Jr shined. At least one of the two young SG's panned out. Hopefully Trent Jr does not regress!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
GEE
Starter

Post#17 » by GEE » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:50 am

The criticism of Simons is getting ridiculous. We do need him, and he is a valuable piece backing up Dame, CJ & GTJ at the 1&2. If either gets hurt, he's next man up.

Simons and Trent are different. Learning PG and SG are also different. One year at an academy and Coach K... Point is, Simons will be just fine if he continues to improve, which he has. It will be his 3rd year, in a small role, hopefully, and projecting just fine IMO.
d-train
RealGM

Post#18 » by d-train » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:01 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Hopefully Trent Jr does not regress!!!

It will depend on what you call regression. Hopefully, Blazers won't find themselves with Melo and Gabriel as their only healthy forwards. Thereby creating an opportunity for Trent as there only alternative to get PT. If Trent has to crack a lineup of RoCo, DJJ, Melo, and Hood to get minutes or he's a disappointment, get ready to be disappointed.

NO said Hood is primarily a guard who can play the wing. If Stotts looks down his bench for a substitute for Lillard or CJ and sees Hood, Trent, and Simons, who do you think he's going call most of the time? If he wants a shooter, he's probably going to go with Hood most of the time. If he wants some to run some offense or create off the dribble, he's probably going to go with Simons most of the time.

My point is, Trent's opportunities will likely be much less than last season. Trent might be an improved player with less PT to show what he is capable of doing.
GEE
Starter

Post#19 » by GEE » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:19 am

I must admit, I'm concerned about Stotts having all the talent he has. It's not easy to figure out how to get the best out of it. Hopefully it's an open competition for minutes, and Stotts has a good feel for balancing out the talent for the starters and bench.

The upcoming season will again be strange and unconventional. So I ask, Should Stotts consider being a bit unconventional as well? Innovate, don't imitate.
d-train
RealGM

Post#20 » by d-train » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:39 am

GEE wrote:I must admit, I'm concerned about Stotts having all the talent he has. It's not easy to figure out how to get the best out of it. Hopefully it's an open competition for minutes, and Stotts has a good feel for balancing out the talent for the starters and bench.

The upcoming season will again be strange and unconventional. So I ask, Should Stotts consider being a bit unconventional as well? Innovate, don't imitate.

The concern is that Stotts will try to make too many players happy. It's always better to have a tight rotation and sit the players that are outside of the tight rotation. The right thing is almost never the popular thing.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers