G.Payton III
No votes

Total votes: 5

GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Re: We need a 3rd PGn 

Post#21 » by GEE » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:16 am

We have a depth of quality players at every position... nice problem to have generally, as long as you can give them, and get them to buy into each players job. Schedule coming out soon, so we'll see just how crazy the back to backs are, but we should expect crazy.

I like the idea of using about 9 guys, in six minute bursts, and run the shorts off these other teams. Full throttle, and hopefully blow most teams out by the end of the 3rd. Never walk the ball up. Switch up defensive looks with some flashes of zone and maybe even press occasionally. We have the depth. We should play really really fast next year, with shorter, faster stints from Dame, CJ and Nurkic.

Play super hard, get tired, sub out, get rest, come back in, play super hard...
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#22 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:56 pm

d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Hopefully Trent Jr does not regress!!!

It will depend on what you call regression. Hopefully, Blazers won't find themselves with Melo and Gabriel as their only healthy forwards. Thereby creating an opportunity for Trent as there only alternative to get PT. If Trent has to crack a lineup of RoCo, DJJ, Melo, and Hood to get minutes or he's a disappointment, get ready to be disappointed.

NO said Hood is primarily a guard who can play the wing. If Stotts looks down his bench for a substitute for Lillard or CJ and sees Hood, Trent, and Simons, who do you think he's going call most of the time? If he wants a shooter, he's probably going to go with Hood most of the time. If he wants some to run some offense or create off the dribble, he's probably going to go with Simons most of the time.

My point is, Trent's opportunities will likely be much less than last season. Trent might be an improved player with less PT to show what he is capable of doing.

The Blazers have a variety of ways they can go with their roster. They can slow things down with Lillard/McCollum/Hood/Covington (or Melo) and either Nurkic or Kanter. They can also pick up the pace with a running lineup featuring Simons/Trent Jr/Jones Jr/Collins and someone else (Covington or maybe Giles). I love the versatility this roster presents.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:00 pm

d-train wrote:
GEE wrote:I must admit, I'm concerned about Stotts having all the talent he has. It's not easy to figure out how to get the best out of it. Hopefully it's an open competition for minutes, and Stotts has a good feel for balancing out the talent for the starters and bench.

The upcoming season will again be strange and unconventional. So I ask, Should Stotts consider being a bit unconventional as well? Innovate, don't imitate.

The concern is that Stotts will try to make too many players happy. It's always better to have a tight rotation and sit the players that are outside of the tight rotation. The right thing is almost never the popular thing.

This is definitely a concern. Stotts does not seem to quickly adapt all that well. With the variety this roster presents, I would hope Stotts can go with the flow and what is working rather than stick to his guns and play the same rotation all the time. Until Collins comes back, I see Covington as a PF, which means Hood or Jones Jr starts at SF. I guess Olshey says he see's Hood as a guard, but he started at SF last season and did well until his injury. I see no reason Hood at 6'6 cannot play SF. Isn't Jones Jr 6'6, as well? If one can play SF, the other can, as well. If you're going to force Hood to play the guard position, then either Hood or Trent Jr need to go cuz one of them will not see a lot of playing time.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#24 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:52 pm

I see no reason Hood at 6'6 cannot play SF. Isn't Jones Jr 6'6, as well?

Hood is 6'8, but only has a 6'8 wingspan. He defiantly is more SF than SG IMO, I dont really trust him to chase speedy guards around especially after his surgery.

DJJ is 6'6 but has an otherworldly 7'0 wingspan that helps him guard larger guys at SF despite being slightly undersized.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#25 » by d-train » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:35 pm

Olshey, in his last presser, detailed pretty well our forwards. He called Hood a guard or a 2/3, RoCo a 3/4, DJJ a 3/4, and Collins a 4/5. He didn't breakdown Melo and Giles, but did speak about their versatility and skills. I believe Giles is a 4/5 and Melo is a 3/4. NO also said he is comfortable with Melo, RoCo, and DJJ at the 4, but said Hood is certainly not a 4. And, NO said he was very pleased to get Giles because otherwise our only healthy bigs are Nurk and Kanter. NO expressed doubt about Nurk, Kanter, RoCo, Melo, and DJJ against quicker bigs, thus the need for Giles with Collins being out.
d-train
RealGM

Post#26 » by d-train » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Another point of note is the absence of Little from the discussion. It's possible this was because NO wasn't asked about Little. However, NO was asked about Trent and he didn't include Trent in his discussion of our forwards. IMO, Little is a 3/4 and Trent is a 2/3, like Hood.

Edit: NO did note Trent was in our best lineup at the close of last season.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,461

Post#27 » by Pattycakes » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:22 am

Carmelo shouldn't be anything more than a spot-up shooter and in the post. Suggesting he should be ever bringing the ball up the court is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard...
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#28 » by Matt800 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:54 am

d-train wrote:Another point of note is the absence of Little from the discussion. It's possible this was because NO wasn't asked about Little. However, NO was asked about Trent and he didn't include Trent in his discussion of our forwards. IMO, Little is a 3/4 and Trent is a 2/3, like Hood.

It's interesting to think of the possibilities with this team. Little was interviewed somewhat recently saying he was focusing on defense and shooting, much like what Trent Jr did to get a role. If he could make a comparable improvement then that would be huge for the team.

In the Rip City Report podcast they talked about how it's possible Trent Jr could make another jump forward. They generally are more pessimistic so it was interesting to hear them talking about that. But if he is a 6moty candidate or even beating CJ at times for a role, then that helps a lot.

And its possible Simons could make a big improvement as well.

A lot went wrong last season and so we know that can happen, but a lot could go right as well. Hopefully the Trail Blazers are due for some good luck.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#29 » by monopoman » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:45 pm

d-train wrote:
GEE wrote:I must admit, I'm concerned about Stotts having all the talent he has. It's not easy to figure out how to get the best out of it. Hopefully it's an open competition for minutes, and Stotts has a good feel for balancing out the talent for the starters and bench.

The upcoming season will again be strange and unconventional. So I ask, Should Stotts consider being a bit unconventional as well? Innovate, don't imitate.

The concern is that Stotts will try to make too many players happy. It's always better to have a tight rotation and sit the players that are outside of the tight rotation. The right thing is almost never the popular thing.

Meh, Stotts usually experiments with lineups as the season goes along. He also loves to play players he feels have a good matchup against the other team. I don't think we will see a set "optimal" rotation of everyone not named Nurk, CJ or Dame until we are nearing the end of the season.
d-train
RealGM

Post#30 » by d-train » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:43 pm

monopoman wrote:
d-train wrote:

Meh, Stotts usually experiments with lineups as the season goes along. He also loves to play players he feels have a good matchup against the other team. I don't think we will see a set "optimal" rotation of everyone not named Nurk, CJ or Dame until we are nearing the end of the season.

RoCo and Collins will play every game they are healthy. DJJ, Melo, and Hood will probably play every game. Kanter, Giles, Simon's, Trent will be alternative players with high priority. Little and CJ2 will be alternatives with low priority.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:47 pm

d-train wrote:Olshey, in his last presser, detailed pretty well our forwards. He called Hood a guard or a 2/3, RoCo a 3/4, DJJ a 3/4, and Collins a 4/5. He didn't breakdown Melo and Giles, but did speak about their versatility and skills. I believe Giles is a 4/5 and Melo is a 3/4. NO also said he is comfortable with Melo, RoCo, and DJJ at the 4, but said Hood is certainly not a 4. And, NO said he was very pleased to get Giles because otherwise our only healthy bigs are Nurk and Kanter. NO expressed doubt about Nurk, Kanter, RoCo, Melo, and DJJ against quicker bigs, thus the need for Giles with Collins being out.

Isn't it ultimately Stott's decision what a player is? Olshey can say Hood is a guard, and he'd be good at the SG position due to his size, but with Trent Jr. there, as well, Hood is probably more of a SF this season. If Trent Jr. regresses, maybe Hood becomes the backup SG. Only time will tell where guys actually end up playing. Some teams play small ball (Houston as an example) so Hood could actually be a PF in a game like that if Stott's decides to match up the lineup during the game. I still wouldn't mind finding a way to bring Ariza back. It'd have to be for either Hood or Jones Jr. Maybe if one is not panning out, we can entice the Thunder to swap players with a future 2nd round pick. They seem to be collecting those this offseason.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#32 » by d-train » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:54 pm

Matt800 wrote:
d-train wrote:Another point of note is the absence of Little from the discussion. It's possible this was because NO wasn't asked about Little. However, NO was asked about Trent and he didn't include Trent in his discussion of our forwards. IMO, Little is a 3/4 and Trent is a 2/3, like Hood.

It's interesting to think of the possibilities with this team. Little was interviewed somewhat recently saying he was focusing on defense and shooting, much like what Trent Jr did to get a role. If he could make a comparable improvement then that would be huge for the team.

In the Rip City Report podcast they talked about how it's possible Trent Jr could make another jump forward. They generally are more pessimistic so it was interesting to hear them talking about that. But if he is a 6moty candidate or even beating CJ at times for a role, then that helps a lot.

A lot went wrong last season and so we know that can happen, but a lot could go right as well. Hopefully the Trail Blazers are due for some good luck.

Little looks very capable if he has an opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if he move up the pecking order. Simons and Trent are higher in the pecking order, but also could move up. Giles also could move up.

I don't know who does the Rip City Report. Most of the time fan shows are hosted by non-basketball experts that can talk a good line of BS.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#33 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:42 pm

I have to think that NO would likely not sign DJJ if he saw Little as anywhere close to being a rotation worthy player. I think any talk of Nassir contributing this year from NO is just him playing the PR role. Surprises happen, but right now DJJ is a much better player.

I think the depth cart will look like this:

G - Damian Lillard / CJ McCollum / Anfernee Simons
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr / Derrick Jones Jr
F - Rodney Hood / Derrick Jones Jr / Robert Covington / Nassir Little
F - Robert Covington / Carmelo Anthony / Zach Collins / Nassir Little
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Enes Kanter / Zach Collins / Harry Giles
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#34 » by Matt800 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:55 pm

d-train wrote:
Matt800 wrote:

Little looks very capable if he has an opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if he move up the pecking order. Simons and Trent are higher in the pecking order, but also could move up. Giles also could move up.

I don't know who does the Rip City Report. Most of the time fan shows are hosted by non-basketball experts that can talk a good line of BS.

It was 2 reporters Casey Holdahl and Joe Freeman, Casey works for the organization specifically. In normal circumstances they are around the team more than most so they can have a different idea of who looks good, injury situations, who's unhappy, etc. In regard to Trent Jr getting significantly better, I think its not based in much other than maybe his work ethic. But it sure would be great if that happened.
d-train
RealGM

Post#35 » by d-train » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:56 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I have to think that NO would likely not sign DJJ if he saw Little as anywhere close to being a rotation worthy player.

This argument fails. At the trade deadline in 2015, NO dunk tanked CJ and Barton by trading for Afflalo. NO was very high on CJ and Barton, but he wanted an experienced player. Two months later CJ was killing it in the playoffs. The point is acquiring DJJ says nothing about Little. Eventually, Little will play his way into or out of a role.
d-train
RealGM

Post#36 » by d-train » Tue Dec 1, 2020 11:39 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:Olshey, in his last presser, detailed pretty well our forwards. He called Hood a guard or a 2/3, RoCo a 3/4, DJJ a 3/4, and Collins a 4/5. He didn't breakdown Melo and Giles, but did speak about their versatility and skills. I believe Giles is a 4/5 and Melo is a 3/4. NO also said he is comfortable with Melo, RoCo, and DJJ at the 4, but said Hood is certainly not a 4. And, NO said he was very pleased to get Giles because otherwise our only healthy bigs are Nurk and Kanter. NO expressed doubt about Nurk, Kanter, RoCo, Melo, and DJJ against quicker bigs, thus the need for Giles with Collins being out.

Isn't it ultimately Stott's decision what a player is? Olshey can say Hood is a guard, and he'd be good at the SG position due to his size, but with Trent Jr. there, as well, Hood is probably more of a SF this season. If Trent Jr. regresses, maybe Hood becomes the backup SG. Only time will tell where guys actually end up playing. Some teams play small ball (Houston as an example) so Hood could actually be a PF in a game like that if Stott's decides to match up the lineup during the game. I still wouldn't mind finding a way to bring Ariza back. It'd have to be for either Hood or Jones Jr. Maybe if one is not panning out, we can entice the Thunder to swap players with a future 2nd round pick. They seem to be collecting those this offseason.

Stotts controls a lot, but nobody decides what someone is. Hood has the most say in what he is. Regardless how Hood is used, he is not good against strong players his own size. Hood is good against smaller, quicker players. Since we have many players better at the 4, I think NO's saying Hood is certainly not a 4 is safely correct.

I agree only time will tell where Hood will play most between the 2 or 3. Obviously, every player on the Blazers wants a role other than 1 or 2.

I give Ariza's return a zero percent chance. Before we spent the MLE on DJJ, Bazemore and Mo were on my list of possible bargains. I think I'm going to like DJJ better, only time will tell.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#37 » by monopoman » Wed Dec 2, 2020 4:05 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I have to think that NO would likely not sign DJJ if he saw Little as anywhere close to being a rotation worthy player. I think any talk of Nassir contributing this year from NO is just him playing the PR role. Surprises happen, but right now DJJ is a much better player.

I will be very surprised if Collins is 3rd on the depth chart, I think the Blazers want to see what he can be if he has a fully healthy season. This is basically Collins time to break out and prove that this team needs him, and for the Blazers to determine if he is either dead weight or a long term piece.

I can imagine Collins being frustrated if he is struggling to get minutes with his contract coming up soon.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#38 » by GEE » Wed Dec 2, 2020 5:11 am

I have spent many hours trying to figure out how to best balance this loaded roster, while dreaming of all the possible rotations that Stotts could use against other teams. My guess is this while Collins is IR:

Dame(34) / (CJ(10) / Simons(4)
CJ(24) / Hood(12) / GTJ(12)
Jones(28) / ROCO(8) / Hood(12) / Little(0)
ROCO(20) / Melo(28) / Collins(IR)
Nurkic(28) / Kanter(16) / Giles(4)
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Dec 2, 2020 2:05 pm

monopoman wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:I have to think that NO would likely not sign DJJ if he saw Little as anywhere close to being a rotation worthy player. I think any talk of Nassir contributing this year from NO is just him playing the PR role. Surprises happen, but right now DJJ is a much better player.

I will be very surprised if Collins is 3rd on the depth chart, I think the Blazers want to see what he can be if he has a fully healthy season. This is basically Collins time to break out and prove that this team needs him, and for the Blazers to determine if he is either dead weight or a long term piece.

I can imagine Collins being frustrated if he is struggling to get minutes with his contract coming up soon.

I agree. Collins will, most likely, become the starting PF once he is healthy and playing again. At worst, he is the backup PF.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#40 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Dec 2, 2020 6:25 pm

I agree. Collins will, most likely, become the starting PF once he is healthy and playing again. At worst, he is the backup PF.

I am just not convinced starting Zach puts our best 5 man unit on the floor to begin each game. There is a path to ZC getting decent minutes even if listed as 3rd on the depth chart.

Assuming full health:

G - Damian Lillard (34) / CJ McCollum (14) / Anfernee Simons
G - CJ McCollum (20) / Gary Trent Jr (24) / Derrick Jones Jr (4)
F - Rodney Hood (22) / Derrick Jones Jr (16) / Robert Covington (10) / Nassir Little
F - Robert Covington (18) / Carmelo Anthony (18) / Zach Collins (12) / Nassir Little
C - Jusuf Nurkic (28) / Enes Kanter (15) / Zach Collins (5) / Harry Giles

So, basically:

Lillard 34
McCollum 34
Nurkic 28
Covington 28
Trent Jr 24
Hood 22
Jones Jr 20
Anthony 18
Collins 17
Kanter 15

I wouldnt be opposed to getting Nurkic all the way down to 24mpg during the RS. He has not shown the ability to stay healthy very long and saving his big body the punishment to be a healthy playoff 30mpg type would be worth it. FWIW, I think Kanter gets booted from the rotation, more or less, come playoff time and ZC gets most backup C minutes.

And I will keep parroting that moving ZC or GTJ for a FRP would be a prudent move at the deadline if the other guys are playing well. Each will command in the full MLE area and paying both puts us at 150M in 2021 before Kanter and Anthony are even taken into account.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers