No votes

Total votes: 5

monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Re: We need a 3rd PGn 

Post#41 » by monopoman » Thu Dec 3, 2020 12:37 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I agree. Collins will, most likely, become the starting PF once he is healthy and playing again. At worst, he is the backup PF.

I am just not convinced starting Zach puts our best 5 man unit on the floor to begin each game. There is a path to ZC getting decent minutes even if listed as 3rd on the depth chart.

Assuming full health:

G - Damian Lillard (34) / CJ McCollum (14) / Anfernee Simons
G - CJ McCollum (20) / Gary Trent Jr (24) / Derrick Jones Jr (4)
F - Rodney Hood (22) / Derrick Jones Jr (16) / Robert Covington (10) / Nassir Little
F - Robert Covington (18) / Carmelo Anthony (18) / Zach Collins (12) / Nassir Little
C - Jusuf Nurkic (28) / Enes Kanter (15) / Zach Collins (5) / Harry Giles

So, basically:

Lillard 34
McCollum 34
Nurkic 28
Covington 28
Trent Jr 24
Hood 22
Jones Jr 20
Anthony 18
Collins 17
Kanter 15

I wouldnt be opposed to getting Nurkic all the way down to 24mpg during the RS. He has not shown the ability to stay healthy very long and saving his big body the punishment to be a healthy playoff 30mpg type would be worth it. FWIW, I think Kanter gets booted from the rotation, more or less, come playoff time and ZC gets most backup C minutes.

And I will keep parroting that moving ZC or GTJ for a FRP would be a prudent move at the deadline if the other guys are playing well. Each will command in the full MLE area and paying both puts us at 150M in 2021 before Kanter and Anthony are even taken into account.

Yeah, I think the stronger this team performs the more we should be taking it easier on Dames+CJ+Nurk's minutes. All the best NBA teams give rest to their best players, no reason why we can't do more of that if we are doing well in the season. This type of strategy makes more sense the more depth the team has also.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#42 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Dec 3, 2020 2:04 pm

Yeah, I think the stronger this team performs the more we should be taking it easier on Dames+CJ+Nurk's minutes. All the best NBA teams give rest to their best players, no reason why we can't do more of that if we are doing well in the season. This type of strategy makes more sense the more depth the team has also.

I would love to see Dame and CJ get down to around 30mpg, but I really dont see that happening. Those guys are durable and love playing the game, even if we are steaming through opponents they will want to be on the floor and I presume Stotts gives them their wish.

Nurkic at 24mpg would be great though. He has not shown the ability to get healthy.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#43 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Dec 3, 2020 10:14 pm

I looked through the free agents of every team for both this and next offseason ... looked through the salaries of all NBA players who would fit into the BAE or match up with other Blazers' players in trade. But I have not considered it from a different point of view. A view that should be the first option (IMHO).

Who would I like to have as Portland's backup PG? Who would be the best fit?

(1) For me ... no ridiculously high contracts. (2) Not someone who will NEED big minutes at the PG spot (there are around 14 a night). (3) Must have good-ish handles, (4) make the simple pass, (5) not pound the rock into oblivion, (6) must D up or at least be scrappy, (7) must be efficient on shots regardless of the spot on the floor (takes good shots for him), (8) has a motor and (9) has a can-do attitude.

I'm not asking for the world.

So, who fits YOUR criteria? [NOT who is available on the free agent market or money is no object.] Who would you want as the backup PG for Portland?
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#44 » by dunlop212 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:39 pm

Payton Pritchard (duck fan speaking, but he does check the boxes).
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#45 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:01 pm

(1) For me ... no ridiculously high contracts. (2) Not someone who will NEED big minutes at the PG spot (there are around 14 a night). (3) Must have good-ish handles, (4) make the simple pass, (5) not pound the rock into oblivion, (6) must D up or at least be scrappy, (7) must be efficient on shots regardless of the spot on the floor (takes good shots for him), (8) has a motor and (9) has a can-do attitude.

Napier checks most of these boxes, but your outlining a really quality backup PG. I would argue the above player likely gets the taxpayers MLE.

Napier is all the things you said outside a good defender.

We also could have simply drafted Cassius Winston in R2, but I will admit Elleby has higher upside.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#46 » by HoopsFanAZ » Fri Dec 4, 2020 5:00 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Napier checks most of these boxes, but your outlining a really quality backup PG. I would argue the above player likely gets the taxpayers MLE.
Napier is all the things you said outside a good defender.
We also could have simply drafted Cassius Winston in R2, but I will admit Elleby has higher upside.

Exactly my point. That's what I'd want Olshey to shoot for. A "really quality backup PG." Or a combo guard with actual PG skills as listed to back up both spots ... when GTJ starts at the 2. While the theoretical backup may not have all 9 listed, I'm tired of seeing the bench inherit a sizable lead that evaporates as Stotts lets them play on.

As to that kind of player getting the taxpayer's MLE, I'm up for that. And a combo who gets the job done and with near to starter minutes may be worth even more. As to Napier, he does check many boxes. [And, I'm a Duck and a Payton Pritchard fan, too.]
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#47 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Dec 4, 2020 6:16 pm

We could have signed a guy like DJ Augustine to be that backup, but we saw more long term potential in DJJ. I agree with that move. This team isnt a backup PG away from competing at the highest level, and with our lack of assets rolling the dice on DJJ and hoping he becomes a sort of skinny Gerald Wallace was a move I make 10/10 times
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#48 » by Sinobas » Fri Dec 4, 2020 7:22 pm

Steve Blake.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#49 » by JasonStern » Fri Dec 4, 2020 7:48 pm

Biggest question mark for the Hood and Jones signings was not cutting another ~$500k to allow for a veteran's minimum signing without getting into the luxury tax. Not saying the Blazers need to fill that 15th roster spot - at least not now - but it'd be nice to have the option for a Melo type signing should injuries pile up next season.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#50 » by d-train » Fri Dec 4, 2020 8:14 pm

We have $625k room under the tax. Trade deadline is 3/25 or thereabouts. So, early April teams start waiving veterans. We have enough to sign a pro-rated VME for the playoffs. We can get a PG if we need one.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#51 » by Norm2953 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 9:59 pm

JasonStern wrote:Biggest question mark for the Hood and Jones signings was not cutting another ~$500k to allow for a veteran's minimum signing without getting into the luxury tax. Not saying the Blazers need to fill that 15th roster spot - at least not now - but it'd be nice to have the option for a Melo type signing should injuries pile up next season.

I think its more likely the team will end up having to make a move to add a 15th player for it seems likely a player(s)
will end up testing positive and ending up on the NBA's version of the Covid list
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#52 » by DusterBuster » Sat Dec 5, 2020 12:32 am

NO isn't signing another PG. Roster is at 14 players if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if he's ever carried a full 15 man roster entering into a new season, so yeah... not even worth considering. Roster is done, there won't be any new signings at this point.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#53 » by JasonStern » Sat Dec 5, 2020 1:17 am

DusterBuster wrote:NO isn't signing another PG. Roster is at 14 players if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if he's ever carried a full 15 man roster entering into a new season, so yeah... not even worth considering. Roster is done, there won't be any new signings at this point.

Exactly. Hope of a 15th player went away with the Blazers being just $600k under the luxury tax. Wouldn't rule out move(s) at the trade deadline, but opening day roster is set.
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#54 » by d-train » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:12 am

DusterBuster wrote:NO isn't signing another PG. Roster is at 14 players if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if he's ever carried a full 15 man roster entering into a new season, so yeah... not even worth considering. Roster is done, there won't be any new signings at this point.

Yeah, if there is another signing it will be later when a pro-rated VME is less than our room under the tax. And, it would be to answer a currently unknowable need. Since our PG's are our most durable players, it's unlikely there will be a need for a PG.
d-train
RealGM

Post#55 » by d-train » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:26 am

I'm not sure it's understood that free agents signed after the trade deadline are paid a pro-rated salary. Kanter in 18-19 was signed to a pro-rated VME that cost Blazers only $487k. $627k should be more than enough if a 15th player is needed for the playoffs.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#56 » by Matt800 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 7:40 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/trail-blazers/anfernee-simons-will-be-sponge-ready-absorb-all-things-defense
Simons is trying to be a better defender. Who knows how that will go but it is nice to hear that more than one guy is really trying to buy into being a better defender. Little was interviewed saying that not too long ago. It seems like Gary Trent Jr having success really made an impression on the other guys. If Simons can 3 and D and Little can 3 and D, then Portland will be a great team.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#57 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sat Dec 5, 2020 7:49 pm

Derrick Rose might be an interesting trade target. He would actually be a pretty good fit as the backup PG and bring a ton of experience. It's kind of a short sighted move to trade our youth for him but the wheels haven't fallen off yet and he would be a big win-now improvement.

Unless Anfernee starts the season on fire, I might do Simons straight up for him but the money doesn't work. Maybe Simons+Kanter once Collins is healthy, maybe with some cash to buy Enes out in a *wink wink* deal? Or if Giles looks amazing and Collins struggles to get minutes maybe move Simons+Collins if we can get a little something extra back from Detroit?
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#58 » by JasonStern » Mon Dec 7, 2020 7:59 pm

Still wish we would have picked up both Portis and Dunn instead of Jones. I get that it was management's way of showing they are confident in Simons, but that should never be an issue. If Simons is the best player, he'll win playing time regardless of bench depth. Accumulate as much talent as possible. No need to have less assets going into the trade deadline, limiting the ability to make a consolidation move with an underperforming team that decides to change directions.
- Chauncey Billups
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#59 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:32 pm

Matt800 wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/trail-blazers/anfernee-simons-will-be-sponge-ready-absorb-all-things-defense
Simons is trying to be a better defender. Who knows how that will go but it is nice to hear that more than one guy is really trying to buy into being a better defender. Little was interviewed saying that not too long ago. It seems like Gary Trent Jr having success really made an impression on the other guys. If Simons can 3 and D and Little can 3 and D, then Portland will be a great team.

Didn't Lillard and CJ say the same thing recently? I actually think Lillard has picked up his defensive game over the past few years. If CJ and Simons can do the same, that'll be a big step in the right direction.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#60 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:42 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Derrick Rose might be an interesting trade target. He would actually be a pretty good fit as the backup PG and bring a ton of experience. It's kind of a short sighted move to trade our youth for him but the wheels haven't fallen off yet and he would be a big win-now improvement.

Unless Anfernee starts the season on fire, I might do Simons straight up for him but the money doesn't work. Maybe Simons+Kanter once Collins is healthy, maybe with some cash to buy Enes out in a *wink wink* deal? Or if Giles looks amazing and Collins struggles to get minutes maybe move Simons+Collins if we can get a little something extra back from Detroit?

Rose would be a good get for the bench unit. Financially, I would probably offer Hood for Rose. Maybe you include Simons or Little or CJ2 to add a little incentive, but then you're probably taking someone in return besides Rose.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers