ImageImage

3 COVID cases, practice facilities closed

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

3 COVID cases, practice facilities closed 

Post#1 » by MarxyLebronist » Sun Dec 6, 2020 7:08 pm

I'm super interested in the COVID issue, and was really impressed by the bubble (especially compared to the other pro leagues' approaches). I've been in some other forums discussing as possible, but don't yet have General Board access to discuss there. It looks sort of dicey there, anyway, with lots of derailing.

The team just broke this news though, and it seems like a good topic to discuss as we try to get some good basketball in this season around really incredible circumstances:

Read on Twitter
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: 3 COVID cases, practice facilities closed 

Post#2 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Dec 6, 2020 7:32 pm

Well that really stinks. Will training camp still take place today at a different location? They almost need to have 2 training facilities this season for issues like this.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#3 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sun Dec 6, 2020 8:10 pm

its not a surprise, well see that throughout the season

im not worried at all, athletes around the world are getting infected, yet the sports keep on going, as it should
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 8:20 pm

Unclear who are the 3 cases in the organization but I continue to wonder if the team's roster can
play a season at 14 when there is a real likelihood some on the team will test positive before the
vaccine arrives.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#5 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Dec 6, 2020 9:21 pm

Any word or indication on the Blazers signing a couple 2-way contracts as they have in the past? Seems like a good season to have all the depth you can.

A quick google shows me I totally missed us signing Lillard's cousin, Keljin Blevins. There's gotta be better 2-way options than him... Looks like Brown signed a 2-way with the Thunder but I don't see any news on Hoard.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#6 » by GEE » Sun Dec 6, 2020 9:52 pm

My first reaction was, Oh no, we can't have setbacks like this with this already condensed off-season. But as I think about it, I'm glad it happened now, early on. Hopefully this will provide a heightened awareness, and urgency to be vigilant in their precautions, at all levels. I'd rather it happen now, than after the season's begun.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#7 » by JasonStern » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:49 am

Players will have the vaccine before common folks. Not really an issue.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:41 pm

Covid is being overplayed by the media along with the notion that wearing masks helps much when 80 percent plus of cases were when people wore masks

That being said.. NBA players are young and in their athletic prime they should be ok, the coaches may not though so I understand them taking it cautiously
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#9 » by MarxyLebronist » Mon Dec 7, 2020 5:52 pm

Lots of positive cases being addressed now in the league today and over the weekend- likely all the ones from the initial tests, after teams decided on how to manage the info best. I like letting players stay anonymous for now and making sure the penalties are clear moving forward. Agree with teams announcing as PDX did here and announcing how they will mitigate.

Everything is shut down, even in states that try to push a minimizing narrative about COVID.
And the spike is here for Winter, the ICUs all tapped out. My friend's dad- who was a very healthy former athlete but, yup, an older guy- just died last week within two weeks of getting it. So I'm not here for any politicized denialism, but I get it, as these have been really divided years for sure and that's the style.

The league's hands are tied on this already, and they are proceeding with full belief in and attention to safety requirements, clear information on spread and risks, etc. Under those conditions, indeed, we are stuck with this. I still think a regional bubble is the likely solution for a workable season, but someone must have said no to that among ownerships (my money is on those with new arenas they need to pay for still or less soluble ownerships in general).
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:39 pm

We will know on Friday whether any players tested Friday because they will be missing. It could be almost anyone though... trainers, cooks, janitors, coaches, players, even some management who attend practices. I worry about not having a true backup PG cuz if Lillard and/or CJ get the Covid, assuming they recover just fine, that will be the longest two weeks of the season.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#11 » by Norm2953 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 7:32 pm

I didn't want to go there with Dame/CJ for I see BE now on board with Simons being fine as the third PG makes me wonder if the team really is concerned. Let's just see if the league ends up back in the bubble if the virus is a real problem for right now, its likely the vaccine is going to be in short supply even for tier 1A (healthcare workers and nursing home) for the hope needs to be by perhaps the playoffs, for some of the fans to be in attendance.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#12 » by JasonStern » Mon Dec 7, 2020 7:38 pm

Oden2 wrote:Covid is being overplayed by the media along with the notion that wearing masks helps much when 80 percent plus of cases were when people wore masks

Stop. N95 masks absolutely help prevent the spread of COVID:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/effectiveness-face-masks/

Unfortunately the government has chosen not to provide such masks to the public and instead spent their COVID-19 funds on stimulus packages that benefit the wealthy. A sad side effect of politicizing everything, but incredibly concerning in the event of a future global pandemic with a significantly higher mortality rate.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#13 » by d-train » Mon Dec 7, 2020 8:08 pm

We are 3 deep at PG. The injury threat at PG has nothing to do with the number of PG's we have. We are 1 injury away from big problems regardless how many PG's we have. Our first backup PG, CJ, is probably the best backup PG in the NBA. We are loaded at backup SG if CJ is moved to PG. However, we have a big problem if we lose our best player.

The problem some people have is if either Lillard or CJ are injured, then Simons is elevated to our 2nd PG. It's true Simons is not a proven veteran PG. It's also true Simons is not a proven failed PG. The oddity is, most of these few people that aren't satisfied with Simons, would be satisfied if we added a failed PG to be our 3rd PG. The only PG's available are unproven or failed PG's.

There is no great solution to Lillard being out of the lineup. It's a lesser problem, but there also isn't any great solution to CJ being out of the lineup.
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#14 » by MarxyLebronist » Mon Dec 7, 2020 8:41 pm

Right, the rotation complexities for any COVID time lost (and it looks like 2 weeks minimum for anything) are going to present all sorts of trouble for every team. Can't even worry about specifics. Look at what just happened with the Brocos QB situation.

I like the theory of more 2-way player flexibility, flexibility in general, but then the same problem of having to run safety measures to get started mean it probably won't help in time or significantly improve the play either.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#15 » by GEE » Tue Dec 8, 2020 1:26 am

Point is, the team WILL NEED to take precautions, and stay vigilant against this horror, until the vaccine gets to the players. I'm pretty suspicious when it comes to the distribution of the vaccine in general and heard the same line about healthcare workers and the vulnerable getting it first, but I have no doubt, NBA players will be near the head of the line.

Healthcare workers are getting pooped on, and have been for the last 9 months. The mask debate... really... still? Jesus.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,454

Post#16 » by Myth » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:27 am

I blame the addition of Robert Covidton.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:26 pm

d-train wrote:We are 3 deep at PG. The injury threat at PG has nothing to do with the number of PG's we have. We are 1 injury away from big problems regardless how many PG's we have. Our first backup PG, CJ, is probably the best backup PG in the NBA. We are loaded at backup SG if CJ is moved to PG. However, we have a big problem if we lose our best player.

The problem some people have is if either Lillard or CJ are injured, then Simons is elevated to our 2nd PG. It's true Simons is not a proven veteran PG. It's also true Simons is not a proven failed PG. The oddity is, most of these few people that aren't satisfied with Simons, would be satisfied if we added a failed PG to be our 3rd PG. The only PG's available are unproven or failed PG's.

There is no great solution to Lillard being out of the lineup. It's a lesser problem, but there also isn't any great solution to CJ being out of the lineup.

I'm not prepared to say we are loaded at SG just yet until we see what Hood is able to do and whether Simons has progressed from last season. If Hood is a shell of his former self and Simons is the same player as last year, then we are no longer loaded at SG. Now, I would certainly hope that the Blazers have an idea about Hood when offering him that contract, although it is just one year guaranteed so perhaps that is a makeup deal for signing cheaply last offseason to take him into retirement. I certainly hope none of that is the case and Hood is back to his old self or darn close.

I am just not sold on Simons and never have been. I'm still waiting for him to prove me wrong, but so far he hasn't. Given the potential nightmare of a COVID outbreak on the team, I would certainly feel more comfortable with someone like Shabazz Napier on the roster, even if he doesn't really get any playing time. I would not say Napier is a failure. To this point, I would say Simons is a failure. Napier is what he is, Simons has the potential to be something better. I'm not going to hang my hat on Simons, but would love to be pleasantly surprised IF it happens this season. Same goes with Collins, but that's a different discussion.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#18 » by d-train » Wed Dec 9, 2020 2:31 am

Blazers practiced and Lillard, CJ, and RoCo participated. So, there's 3 guys that aren't positive for China virus.

Edit: Stotts is clean too
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Dec 9, 2020 4:37 am

Considering Nurk's G-ma died from Covid, I am really surprised to hear he tested positive
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#20 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Dec 9, 2020 4:51 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Considering Nurk's G-ma died from Covid, I am really surprised to hear he tested positive

He did? Practice video posted today showed pretty much everyone except Nurkic, Collins and Little. Since I didn't think Nurkic or Collins had practiced with the team yet, by process of elimination it kind of seemed like Little was the positive case..

Return to Portland Trail Blazers