ImageImage

DJJ

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Re: DJJ 

Post#21 » by GEE » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:53 pm

Playing an undersized SG with an average sized PG makes it tough on both ends of the floor. GSW figured this out in exactly one year after drafting Curry while still having Monta Ellis. They did the smart thing and traded Monta(a 25 ppg scorer) and drafted that lanky kid from Washington State. This started their dynasty, or at least their new style of play, along with getting Kerr. A 6'8 SG... Crazy. Anyone remember Martell Webster, Nate played him as a 3. Hell, Rodney Hood was more SG than 3, before he got injured.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Re: DJJ 

Post#22 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:20 pm

GEE wrote:Playing an undersized SG with an average sized PG makes it tough on both ends of the floor. GSW figured this out in exactly one year after drafting Curry while still having Monta Ellis. They did the smart thing and traded Monta(a 25 ppg scorer) and drafted that lanky kid from Washington State. This started their dynasty, or at least their new style of play, along with getting Kerr. A 6'8 SG... Crazy. Anyone remember Martell Webster, Nate played him as a 3. Hell, Rodney Hood was more SG than 3, before he got injured.

I appreciate the work posters do on this site. Stat compilation with a point to it. Great examples. Comps.

I've noticed Portland sticking CJ on outside shooting, non-low-post forwards who park themselves in a corner. The obvious move is posting up CJ until they make the Blazers move CJ to a shorter player or draws help ... but the post-up doesn't matter if CJ doesn't get in foul trouble. Getting CJ in foul trouble should be a goal of such strategies. Portland would rather have the post-up on CJ or ignoring that player on O and have DJJ maximize his value on a tougher cover.

Curry does the same with GSt. Hide his ineffective D. If the other team doesn't exploit it, it's a win. It doesn't hide the fact that better teams in the playoffs will be much more effective against that trade-off. Long way to say that I agree with GEE. CJ is a shorter SG who plays that way. Despite his ability to get where he wants and to hit tough shots, he doesn't draw fouls -- easy points and gets guys in foul trouble. CJ was a short baller until his growth spurt. He learned how to get his shot open -- not how to do so AND draw fouls. And his D is just not good. Joe Dumars wasn't a big SG and I.Thomas wasn't either as a PG. They just played bigger. John Stockton. Smaller PG. Didn't. Back. Down.

I look forward to GTJ becoming the starting SG ... when Stotts is gone ... and CJ as the 6th man of the year. [Ginobli.] Or a CJ trade. Or ...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers