Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Re: Game 13: Portland vs Atlanta 7:00pm SNW 

Post#41 » by Soulyss » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:16 pm

d-train wrote:
Matt800 wrote:
d-train wrote:Collins is basically not on the team. He is out this year and probably most of next year, if he is back. Blazers could be a completely different team before Collins is ready to play.

The reporting on his current injury speculates at him being back around playoff time. Maybe he will continue having injury issues that keep him out next season, but there's no known problem that is currently demanding him out for that much time.

Does that reporting include any actual opinion from a medical professional? It sounds to me like they had to redo the original surgery. If I recall, the recovery on the original surgery was 4-8 months. They went with 4 months because why not. This time, I think the 8 month number is the one to plan on. I know nothing, but this is how I read the reporting I have seen. So, this would have him ready by next season, if we can sign him.

Feet are notoriously touchy, lots of small bones, lots of ways to twist and re-injure. He's a RFA, he would be stupid to rush back... he will be in the league next year either on the Blazers or somewhere else. I don't expect Collins to play for the Blazers this year.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#42 » by GEE » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:21 pm

JasonStern wrote:
GEE wrote:We are now seeing what I, and many other I think feared... CJ or Dame going down with an injury. This means that Simons is no longer a project, he MUST produce.

RELAX. Trent can handle the starting SG position. And there is no way a competent GM would put the entire backup point guard load on an undersized shooting guard in McCollum and a completely unproven rookie contract guard in Simons.

I'm not too worried yet, but that hinges on the extent of CJs injury. If he's out for just a few games , no big deal, but it's really thin in the ball-handler department after Dame and Simons. You start to rely on guys like GTJ to be less of a 2, and more of a 1 (for those that still believe there's a difference). Rodney Hood did handle the ball alot at Duke, much like Tatum did and does. Not a winning recipe, but may help for a bit until CJ's back. Please be sooner than later. Get him some high-tops!

Also, 40+ minutes a game for Dame didn't look very good tonight. We got the W, but he looked gassed in the last 5-6 minutes. Still was clutch in the end, along with the rest of the team. All in all... Nice, gritty win.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#43 » by GEE » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:50 pm

Soulyss wrote:
d-train wrote:
Matt800 wrote:
The reporting on his current injury speculates at him being back around playoff time. Maybe he will continue having injury issues that keep him out next season, but there's no known problem that is currently demanding him out for that much time.

Does that reporting include any actual opinion from a medical professional? It sounds to me like they had to redo the original surgery. If I recall, the recovery on the original surgery was 4-8 months. They went with 4 months because why not. This time, I think the 8 month number is the one to plan on. I know nothing, but this is how I read the reporting I have seen. So, this would have him ready by next season, if we can sign him.

Feet are notoriously touchy, lots of small bones, lots of ways to twist and re-injure. He's a RFA, he would be stupid to rush back... he will be in the league next year either on the Blazers or somewhere else. I don't expect Collins to play for the Blazers this year.

The Collins experiment just feels strange to me, like there's something else going on. It starts with the lack of information, update, or even regard about him going forward. The kid is supposed to be our starting PF of the future, and he's feels more like an after-thought. Does Stotts even see the value in, or like the idea of playing a prototypical stretch 4, in his 80's style of small-ball basketball, or does Stotts see him more as a Center going forward? This I think really needs answering, and may be the biggest issue.

I really like Collins and the skillset that he brings... Sabonis-like, or -light. His biggest problem, I feel, is answering the question, finally, is he a 4 or a 5 in Terry's eyes? Very important to know, because if Collins is trying to bulk up to play C, it's quite possible his frame doesn't support the added mass, causing the very hair-line bone fractures that he's having. Pure speculation of course, but it is logical. Collins would do himself a solid by trying to be lighter, quicker and bouncier version of himself, instead of a Marc Gasol body which would shorten, or possibly nullify his career in the NBA. If he can't be that here, than he should try to do it elsewhere, for his own good.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,890

Post#44 » by JasonStern » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:34 pm

Read on Twitter

BlazersBroncos wrote:Rose is a nice option, but I am not sure people realize how ball dominant he is. He absolutely has to have the ball in his hands to be offensively effective, and is as always a sieve on defense.

Sounds like the perfect compliment to a Carmelo/Kanter bench. 8-)
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#45 » by zzaj » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:58 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I wonder if we could trade Collins and a few seconds for Rose?
Rose is a nice option, but I am not sure people realize how ball dominant he is. He absolutely has to have the ball in his hands to be offensively effective, and is as always a sieve on defense. I am not sure I like the fit. If we make a move for a guard, I much prefer George Hill who can play off ball, is a better shooter and is a much better defender (And can guard some SG).

At the same time, should any trade for a backup PG go through we need to acknowledge that GTJ will, by minute necessity, have to slide into SF much more often. I actually am fine with that as GTJ is nowhere near as undersized for a SF as some make him out to be. Might not want him there for 30mpg, but he can play a quarter per at that slot IMO.

Rose has certainly lost a step, and seems to be on the back end of his career (only 2 years older than Lillard, which is crazy)...but he's about as ball dominant as Lillard, from a PG perspective. Defensively about the same too, if not a little better...which isn't saying much.

Mostly, as a 20-25mpg backup PG the strength of Rose would be that the Blazers don't have to adjust much as he and Lillard play similarly. And Rose has shown the past couple of seasons that he can excel against backup PGs. It would also, keep the ball out of CJ's and Simon's hands at the PG position.

The downside is that the way the bench is constructed right now, that's a lot of high USG players.

It's a moot point anyway, because Olshey sticks with his guys...and in his mind he probably thinks of Simons as the breakout combo guard of the future :roll:
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#46 » by monopoman » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:53 am

I think a better fit at backup PG is someone like Napier, a solid player that doesn't have a high usage rate and really fit with Portland well in the past.

I also have a feeling he is pretty easy to get a hold of probably a single second round pick at most gets him.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#47 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:54 pm

I was really surprised at how poor a shooter Trae Young is. I was actually hoping he would continue shooting the 3 point shot. That guy can do whatever he wants when he dribbles into the paint, but he is just plain bad from outside. Very surprising. And what was going on between Melo and John Collins? I saw them hug after the game so I don't think there is any bad blood between them, but they were going at one another during the game.

I was actually surprised the Blazers pulled out a win. Nurk and CJ account for 40ppg and I just don't know who's going to step up. Sure, maybe Trent Jr and Melo step up a little bit, but I'm having a hard time finding those 40 points given how poorly Covington, Jones Jr, and Hood are playing. Giles does not seem to be playing as well as he did in those first couple of pre-season games against the Kings. I've yet to see that Giles show up again since then. I hate to say this because I am in no way a fan, but this is Simon's opportunity to step up. He's not going to score 40ppg, but even if he were to consistently and efficiently score 10-15ppg, I would be happy.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#48 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:30 pm

but even if he were to consistently and efficiently score 10-15ppg, I would be happy.

I would consider 7-8ppg w/ 42 / 36 shooting splits as a win from Simons.

10-15ppg w/ consistency and efficiency? I dont think he is close to that caliber of player.

If CJ is out, GTJ is going to be looking at 32mpg+ if we are serious about winning games.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers