ImageImage

Cousins?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Cousins? 

Post#1 » by Norm2953 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:19 am

I wouldn't think Portland on the very edge of the tax line would be able to think about adding
Demarcus Cousins, especially since the Rockets just guaranteed his contract for the entire
season but if there was a way, should they think about it?
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Re: Cousins? 

Post#2 » by Khazim » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:56 am

If we can trade Giles for him, yes. Then we wouldn't have to worry about tax since they are both minimum, and he'd be more impactful for us than Giles, and Giles fits well with Houston's current direction too.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:31 am

Khazim wrote:If we can trade Giles for him, yes. Then we wouldn't have to worry about tax since they are both minimum, and he'd be more impactful for us than Giles, and Giles fits well with Houston's current direction too.

I don't see Houston really wanting Giles because he won't come with Bird rights. They could just sign him in the off-season. Houston might do it though if Portland included enough cash to cover the remaining salary.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#4 » by Matt800 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:39 am

I'd like to see Cousins in Portland. Maybe Giles or Collins could be traded for him. Based on injury situations. The team probably shouldnt play with only one center for too long.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#5 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Bring. Boogie. In.
8-)
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,407

Post#6 » by JRoy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:40 pm

He’s a polarizing player.

I think the timing is wrong. We need to see what a healthy Blazers squad can do.

I think he might be a good pickup if given Playing time but might get sulky when those minutes dry up when Nurk returns.

It’s risky but I don’t think the upside is worth the disruption unless Kanter goes on the IL too.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:35 pm

Things to consider are the long term rivalry with the Rockets and whether the Rockets would do anything
to help facilitate where Cousins ends up. I understand Dame has a long term friendship with Cousins prior
to his injury so perhaps a situation much like Melo might occur for nobody knows how long Nurk will
continue to be out.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#8 » by Epicurus » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:11 pm

Anyone 6'10 and over who can at minimum not be muscled under the boards. It is ridiculous that given Collins' long-term inavailabilty that the Blazers lack a third center, or would it be second, given Giles' contributuion when healthy. Having games change to the negative due to the insertion of Robin Lopez is simply sad.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#9 » by Norm2953 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:26 pm

It would help to know how longer Nurk would be out for if both Nurk and Zach won't return until April/May,
they can't get by with Kanter and Giles who also has a history with injury.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#10 » by d-train » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:07 pm

Wait until March when teams waive buy-outs and other veterans trying to get into the playoffs. Also, the trade deadline might uncover an opportunity.
d-train
RealGM

Post#11 » by d-train » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:52 pm

If Lakers trade Markieff Morris for Cousins, and Rockets waive Morris, I would like to have Markieff Morris.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#12 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:07 am

I cannot stand the Morris brothers. Isn't the good one in Clipper land?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#13 » by d-train » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:16 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I cannot stand the Morris brothers. Isn't the good one in Clipper land?

Clippers have the smart one, $64M is a lot smarter than $2.3M. They are both good basketball players.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#14 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:50 pm

d-train wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:I cannot stand the Morris brothers. Isn't the good one in Clipper land?

Clippers have the smart one, $64M is a lot smarter than $2.3M. They are both good basketball players.

True, but I think one is better than the other if memory serves me right.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,888

Post#15 » by JasonStern » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:57 pm

Cousins would be a great addition right now. Problem is I think he'd put into the luxury tax, which Portland is clearly trying to avoid. Plus there's the big question of what happens playing time wise when Nurkić comes back. You can't have two of Nurkić/Kanter/Cousins on the floor at the same time.

But then Cousins would also have to choose Portland over a contender, which isn't a guarantee despite there being a better chance of getting minutes now. I mean, if I was an injury prone big, given its history, Portland would be pretty low on my list.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#16 » by d-train » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:45 pm

JasonStern wrote:Cousins would be a great addition right now. Problem is I think he'd put into the luxury tax, which Portland is clearly trying to avoid. Plus there's the big question of what happens playing time wise when Nurkić comes back. You can't have two of Nurkić/Kanter/Cousins on the floor at the same time.

But then Cousins would also have to choose Portland over a contender, which isn't a guarantee despite there being a better chance of getting minutes now. I mean, if I was an injury prone big, given its history, Portland would be pretty low on my list.

I believe we could absorb Cousins contract without owing any tax.

Cousins would create any PT issues between him and Nurk. Cousins is highly skilled, but isn't bear the player he was with healthy legs. A 3rd center would certainly impact Kanter's PT.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#17 » by JasonStern » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:00 pm

d-train wrote:I believe we could absorb Cousins contract without owing any tax.

Question for someone like Wizenheimer.

I know if Portland picked him up on a veteran minimum contract, the league would help subsidize it, so Portland wouldn't be paying the full amount. But I know Portland was close enough to the luxury tax that we couldn't sign a minimum backup PG. When he gets signed would play a role in his total salary, but with Nurkić and Collins out, the sooner the better if the Blazers did want to pursue such options.
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#18 » by d-train » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:08 pm

JasonStern wrote:

I know if Portland picked him up on a veteran minimum contract, the league would help subsidize it, so Portland wouldn't be paying the full amount. But I know Portland was close enough to the luxury tax that we couldn't sign a minimum backup PG. When he gets signed would play a role in his total salary, but with Nurkić and Collins out, the sooner the better if the Blazers did want to pursue such options.

That was before salary proration and Nurk's bonus coming off the books.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#19 » by JasonStern » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pm

d-train wrote:
JasonStern wrote:

In that case, bring in Isaiah Thomas as this year's Carmelo Anthony. Team needs more black holes on offense.
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#20 » by d-train » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:27 pm

JasonStern wrote:
d-train wrote:
JasonStern wrote:

In that case, bring in Isaiah Thomas as this year's Carmelo Anthony. Team needs more black holes on offense.

Cousins skillset would be far more useful.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers