ImageImage

Trade deadline, buyouts, and waivers

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Re: Trade deadline, buyouts, and waivers 

Post#301 » by whatchaknow » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:56 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:My cat coughed up a hairball Monday morning. For some reason, that's a perfect representation of how I feel about this trade.... This trade could be fantastic, if it was part of some larger direction for the team. The reality.... the Blazers developed a player in Gary Trent to be a valuable rotation piece that a lot of teams wouldn't mind having, and traded him and some dead money for a rental.

You know what this is.... this is the Aaron Afflalo trade all over again. Burn this heap down in the summer, and make sure you lock Stotts and Olshey in the building before you light it ablaze.

Agree with the afflalo comparison it absolutely reeks of the same. If you remember afflalo was playing well came to Portland got stuck on the bench and couldn’t hit a damn shot. I don’t like the fit most of all. I think Powell is a good player and I’ll be happy if I’m wrong but I’ve never really loved his game. I haven’t seen him the last couple years much though and his shorting has really improved so maybe I need to just be open minded about it
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#302 » by Waynearchetype » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:00 pm

Effigy wrote:Eh, winning the title isn't everything. These days it isn't about how well you construct a team, it's about how big your market is. I like watching and rooting for this team. There are a lot of teams in much worse situations.The next time we rebuild it could be over a decade before we matter again like the Kings, TWolves, Magic, Hornets, Knicks, etc.

Toronto won a championship despite it being one of the least desirable markets. San Antonio has been a big winner the last few decades. I think you can build towards winning a title, take risks, make smart but hard decisions, and also enjoy watching and rooting for the team. Those aren't mutually exclusive things.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#303 » by DusterBuster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:04 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
i don’t think we go into roster demo until potentially the 2022 off season. When nurk expires we will have major decisions to make

Which is EXACTLY why we should have targeted AG. He expires summer 2022, and thats when we have our coming-to-jesus moment and make the hard decisions. Even if it took a FRP attached to GTJ, it would be worth it for an extra year before 'the reckoning'. It would have given Dame the best squad he ever played with for 2 PO runs.

Now we use GTJ for a rental who likely is gone after the season and overlaps with our 2nd most expensive player. Even if Norm was 6'7, this would be a worse use of assets than going after AG because of that impending UFA status.

Its just dumb, dumb, dumb.

Portland may have not had or been willing to offer what Orlando wanted for AG. Takes two parties to make a trade.

Not to say I love the deal or anything, but saying it's dumb they did this trade vs AG isn't really a fair comparison because it's not necessarily the case that it was up to Portland to choose.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#304 » by Wickzki » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Read on Twitter
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#305 » by DusterBuster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

I suspect he ends up in Miami or LA tho. Don't suspect he's coming back to PDX.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#306 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:18 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
i don’t think we go into roster demo until potentially the 2022 off season. When nurk expires we will have major decisions to make

Which is EXACTLY why we should have targeted AG. He expires summer 2022, and thats when we have our coming-to-jesus moment and make the hard decisions. Even if it took a FRP attached to GTJ, it would be worth it for an extra year before 'the reckoning'. It would have given Dame the best squad he ever played with for 2 PO runs.

Now we use GTJ for a rental who likely is gone after the season and overlaps with our 2nd most expensive player. Even if Norm was 6'7, this would be a worse use of assets than going after AG because of that impending UFA status.

Portland may have not had or been willing to offer what Orlando wanted for AG. Takes two parties to make a trade.

Not to say I love the deal or anything, but saying it's dumb they did this trade vs AG isn't really a fair comparison because it's not necessarily the case that it was up to Portland to choose.

If Orlando didn't like what Portland had to offer.... so be it. But not "willing" to match what Denver put out there is a fireable offense IMO. A protected far in the future 1st... an okay prospect and a negative contract? Portland wasn't willing to match that? I mean would anyone here be upset with Little+2025 protected 1st rounder+Hood type of deal? That seems crazy. That's essentially the equivalent of the Denver offer.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#307 » by Waynearchetype » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:23 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

If Orlando didn't like what Portland had to offer.... so be it. But not "willing" to match what Denver put out there is a fireable offense IMO. A protected far in the future 1st... an okay prospect and a negative contract? Portland wasn't willing to match that? I mean would anyone here be upset with Little+2025 protected 1st rounder+Hood type of deal? That seems crazy. That's essentially the equivalent of the Denver offer.

That's a much better offer given Harris' contract length and the prospect they got was a PG who can't shoot.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#308 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:29 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Read on Twitter

I suspect he ends up in Miami or LA tho. Don't suspect he's coming back to PDX.

Apparently Drummond is being bought out and almost certainly will end up in LA and Bjelica got
traded to Miami. Interesting Marquis Chryss got traded to SA which has no roster spot while
Portland needs to add a player since they are one player under the limit. Almost certain there
will be a roster addition from likely the buyout market unless Dame has another cousin that needs
a job.
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#309 » by Wickzki » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:That's a much better offer given Harris' contract length and the prospect they got was a PG who can't shoot.

I watched RJ quite a lot when he played in the Australian NBL. Saying that he's a point guard that cannot shoot is selling him short.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#310 » by d-train » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:36 pm

Wickzki wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good trade for Magic. Harris isn't an ideal starter level player on a playoff team, but he's a very good player. Morris has surpassed Harris, anyway.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#311 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:41 pm

Well, LA is going to be bought out according to the Spurs. Let's see if Portland gets involved
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#312 » by Effigy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:49 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

A whole lot of things had to align for them to win that title. From playing in a bad conference, to it being the year after Lebron left, to the most significant injuries to a finals team we've ever seen. I always figured that if we ever win another title it will be like theirs, one that nobody respects and is full of asteriks. But better than no title at all.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#313 » by DusterBuster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:53 pm

Say what you will about the Blazers trade, but the absolute 's*** the bed' award HAS to goto Houston. The end result of their Harden trade is comically ... if not WOAT ... bad.

Read on Twitter
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#314 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 pm

Couldn't the Blazers have offered a better package for Aaron Gordon?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#315 » by d-train » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:13 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Say what you will about the Blazers trade, but the absolute 's*** the bed' award HAS to goto Houston. The end result of their Harden trade is comically ... if not WOAT ... bad.

Read on Twitter

Kurucs was traded to Heat.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#316 » by DusterBuster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:25 pm

d-train wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Say what you will about the Blazers trade, but the absolute 's*** the bed' award HAS to goto Houston. The end result of their Harden trade is comically ... if not WOAT ... bad.

Read on Twitter

Kurucs was traded to Heat.

Ok.
d-train
RealGM

Post#317 » by d-train » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:26 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Couldn't the Blazers have offered a better package for Aaron Gordon?

We got a much better player than Gordon. We had to give up more than what Magic got for Gordon, but we are so much better off because we got the best player. Powell is better than GTJ, AG, or Hood. Plus, we add almost another $1M in room to add another buyout player. We have 2 roster openings and enough money to use both.
d-train
RealGM

Post#318 » by d-train » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:25 pm

Roy The Natural wrote: I mean would anyone here be upset with Little+2025 protected 1st rounder+Hood type of deal? That seems crazy. That's essentially the equivalent of the Denver offer.

First, I think you are underrating Harris a little. My only complaint about Harris is it seems like he is always injured.

I wouldn't trade Little, a 1st, and Hood for AG. I like Little and don't like AG. If I had to make a deal for AG, my top offer would be DJJ and Hood, and this would also be an overpay. I like DJJ too.

Edit:. The reason I would trade DJJ, but not Little, is trading DJJ would give AG the best chance to succeed. Having DJJ and AG would just make everyone unsatisfied and poison chemistry. We would add no additional skill, it would just make our players unhappy.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#319 » by Matt800 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:44 pm

The trade for Powell might make it more possible to get a buyout market player without going into the luxury tax. It could look like a great move if Powell is as good or better than GTJ and they get a rotation upgrade through a buyout player.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#320 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:05 pm

I'm not holding my breath on any significant buyout player for we'll probably sign a G league guy to meet the
league minimum like we did last summer with Jaylen Adams.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers