ImageImage

Trade deadline, buyouts, and waivers

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Re: Trade deadline, buyouts, and waivers 

Post#81 » by JasonStern » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:09 pm

Norm2953 wrote: trading the 22 year old GTJ who is only going to get better has the
potential of Portland trading another young player who blossoms elsewhere which we have done as a franchise
a number of times. It would be one thing if AG was an all-star level player but he's likely a better Aminu in the
Stotts system.

This isn't a young Jermaine O'Neal for an aging Dale Davis trade. This is trading a starting level SG stuck behind Dame and CJ that's about to get paid for a starting level SF/PF that's still just 25. Missing out on Trent's peak might suck, but not giving a player of Dame's caliber the best roster available because you're worried about the SG position 5-10 years out isn't the best way to try to make Portland at least a fringe contender.

Wizenheimer wrote:I wouldn't trade RoCo for Gordon. The two of them as starting Blazers forwards is really intriguing. Gordon + Jones isn't

Why would Orlando even want a 30-year old, win-now Covington? Just because they're similar value-wise doesn't mean other teams want that player.

Trent makes some sense as it could give them a Fultz/Trent guard lineup to rebuild around. Get some assets for Vučević (30) and Fournier (28), try to get some assets for Ross (29) and MCW (29), then start over. Problem is that Orlando doesn't seem to want to start over despite having a bad record as their best players either being in or entering their prime. See not trading Gordon last off-season, signing a 30-year old Aminu, etc.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#82 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:20 pm

This isn't a young Jermaine O'Neal for an aging Dale Davis trade. This is trading a starting level SG stuck behind Dame and CJ that's about to get paid for a starting level SF/PF that's still just 25. Missing out on Trent's peak might suck, but not giving a player of Dame's caliber the best roster available because you're worried about the SG position 5-10 years out isn't the best way to try to make Portland at least a fringe contender.

Exactly.

I love GTJ, and his potential is exciting as is his youth. But he plays the same position as our 2nd best player, is due for a huge payday and, as always matters, that 2nd best player is tremendously intertwined with both Dame and the franchise in general.

If there was a trade of CJ for a Butler / PG13 level guy, add a bunch of 1st rounders and do it. But there isnt. So if it comes down to CJ or GTJ for an AG level player, I think its pretty clear you move GTJ. Even if there could be more assets coming back should we move CJ (And for an AG level guy, I presume a meh youngster and a protected FRP), I still move GTJ over CJ.

CJ is really, really good. He was playing the best ball of his career. He has shown the ability to create in the playoffs, whereas GTJ just isnt that type of guy. Our best player is 30. Making keeping a good, but not great, 22 year old the priority over immediately improving the teams chances in the PO's should not be a route we take.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,613

Post#83 » by Skybox » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:32 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Exactly.

I love GTJ, and his potential is exciting as is his youth. But he plays the same position as our 2nd best player, is due for a huge payday and, as always matters, that 2nd best player is tremendously intertwined with both Dame and the franchise in general.

If there was a trade of CJ for a Butler / PG13 level guy, add a bunch of 1st rounders and do it. But there isnt. So if it comes down to CJ or GTJ for an AG level player, I think its pretty clear you move GTJ. Even if there could be more assets coming back should we move CJ (And for an AG level guy, I presume a meh youngster and a protected FRP), I still move GTJ over CJ.

CJ is really, really good. He was playing the best ball of his career. He has shown the ability to create in the playoffs, whereas GTJ just isnt that type of guy. Our best player is 30. Making keeping a good, but not great, 22 year old the priority over immediately improving the teams chances in the PO's should not be a route we take.

ORL fan pushing for Gordon for Trent...I feel the same way about AG - he's never been on a good team with star guards to play off of. He has played for 5 coaches in his 7 seasons. He has been positioned as a defensive stopper, then as the "next Paul George" with ball handling and creation duties that he is not well suited. He is a very good passer and a good ball handler for his position but he's not the guy that needs to be breaking guys down in the halfcourt. That gets ugly...BUT, there are few better physical profiles to cover 1-4 (occasional 5 with his new biceps). He can finish over the top, rebound and start the break, he's not a terrible shooter-he's at 36% this year, so he must be respected. Clifford preaches a "get back on D, forget about offensive boards" plan but I've always wanted to unleash him on the glass like Rodman, to gather tips, putbacks, and additional possessions. He gets a lot of boards considering that he plays next to Vuc (one of the league leaders) and Isaac. A creative coach could do some damage with his tools and he's, apparently, well-liked and a very hard worker...don't feel bad when GT scores 22 ppg with ORL (Dame and CJ will each score 26). I think there are more levels for AG in the right spot. To me, that's POR or maybe MIN or DEN.
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#84 » by Wickzki » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:44 pm

Is there a more overrated underperformer in the NBA than Aaron Gordon?

His potential and his evaluated skills dictate that he should be so much more than a 13.6ppg, 7rpg forward (yes he has a handy 4apg) but he has never lived up to the hype. He should be a stat machine on a 27th ranked team.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#85 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:30 am

Is there a more overrated underperformer in the NBA than Aaron Gordon?

His potential and his evaluated skills dictate that he should be so much more than a 13.6ppg, 7rpg forward (yes he has a handy 4apg) but he has never lived up to the hype. He should be a stat machine on a 27th ranked team.

I dont think anyone is calling him a star. What people are, myself included, saying is that as a 4th offensive option he could be huge. He has never played with elite talent, never played for a consistently good franchise, always been in a position to create his own shot which isnt his strength. He has a freakish profile for a forward, huge and athletic enough to guard either SF or PF with not just the size, but the mass, to match with the elite forwards that run the West. He wont stop them, but he can bother them and having him, RoCo and to a lesser extent DJJ on the roster would be pretty unique. If you cant add one of the elite forwards, the trio we could throw at them with AG on the squad is probably the next best thing.

If he is an overrated underperformer, then we should adjust our opinions on GTJ because they sure look similar talent wise when you browse their advanced metrics for this year:

AG - 14.7 PER / .526 TS% / .376 FTR / .044 WS48 / 0.4 OBPM / 0.1 DBPM / -2.9 On Court / +5.5 On Off
GTJ - 12.8 PER / .552 TS% / .124 FTR / .054 WS58 / 0.2 OBPM / -2.5 DBPM / 0.0 On Court / +1.6 On Off

I do not think AG is a 20ppg scorer, a 3rd option or even elite at any one thing. I do think he would bring balance to this team and more than likely help in the playoffs the next 2 seasons more than GTJ. And that is worth making the move, as Dame is hitting his prime's prime and the clock is ticking.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#86 » by GEE » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:41 am

Just a few things...

First, I like all of our current players on the roster(even cj) and I realize we are currently rolling out 2 of our 5 starters, because if healthy, I see our depth like this:

Dame / Simons
CJ / GTJ / Hood
ROCO / Jones Jr. / Little
Collins / Melo / Giles
Nurkic / Kanter

Looking at this squad, I'm thrilled , and if it were up to me, very hesitant to make any moves with this group of players, until I know what a better coach can do with them. I'm beginning to also think the players know just how bad Stotts is with the addition of Melo and ROCO, and we may lose several of them this summer, if this coaching and training staff is left unchanged.

Olshey better be shopping hard for upgrades to both staffs, and if he isn't... maybe HE need to go.

Just bring LA back to the 503, and call it good for this year. Pray for good health going forward, and reset it next year.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#87 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:13 am

Just a few things...

First, I like all of our current players on the roster(even cj) and I realize we are currently rolling out 2 of our 5 starters, because if healthy, I see our depth like this:

Dame / Simons
CJ / GTJ / Hood
ROCO / Jones Jr. / Little
Collins / Melo / Giles
Nurkic / Kanter

Looking at this squad, I'm thrilled , and if it were up to me, very hesitant to make any moves with this group of players, until I know what a better coach can do with them. I'm beginning to also think the players know just how bad Stotts is with the addition of Melo and ROCO, and we may lose several of them this summer, if this coaching and training staff is left unchanged.

Olshey better be shopping hard for upgrades to both staffs, and if he isn't... maybe HE need to go.

Just bring LA back to the 503, and call it good for this year. Pray for good health going forward, and reset it next year.

The chances we can run it back next season with that squad is very, very low. GTJ will demand 18M+, DJJ may opt out and if he does we lose him since we can only offer the taxpayer MLE (5.7M I think), Collins even on the QO is 7M+, Kanter probably plays himself into a 5M AV deal IMO. Melo may retire. And more teams are set to have cap space than any offseason in recent memory.

Its just very, very unlikely that the cards fall in place to run it back with that team. But it you move GTJ + Zach + Hood for AG and change, your only looking at Kanter and Melo as FA's in 2021 and your upgrading a forward position as AG is unquestionably better than Zach.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#88 » by d-train » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:47 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:DJJ may opt out and if he does we lose him since we can only offer the taxpayer MLE (5.7M I think)

If DJJ opts out, we have non-bird rights, which is $11.1M in this case.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#89 » by Blazers20 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:23 pm

I’d rather try and move Zach-GTJ for Lauri

1: Dame
2: CJ
3: RoCo
4: Lauri
5: Kanter
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,613

Post#90 » by Skybox » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:37 pm

Blazers20 wrote:I’d rather try and move Zach-GTJ for Lauri

that's pretty nice with Nurk at 5...plus, I'd feel better paying a starting big over a 3rd guard
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#91 » by Norm2953 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:05 pm

In my mind, its less to do with trading the second best player today but not wanting to see at the
end of his CJ's extension in 2024, facing the very real possibility of replacing both starting guards
who are already in their 30's today.

There continues to be talk of maximizing Dame's remaining prime but unless Nurk or the front court
gets a lot better or at least healthier, this team isn't going to be looking at realistically beating
either LA team, Utah or perhaps Denver in a 7 game series. I just don't think AG who in Portland
is a better Aminu and moving the 22 year old GTJ who is only going to get better, who is going to
be entering his productive years as Dame/CJ begin to slip just gets us in the lottery in three years.

What I would do is add a big at the trade deadline and just go what with you have today and see
how things go. Take a look at what GTJ will get as a RFA and match all reasonable offers. I find
it highly unlikely his next deal will approach CJ's $100/3 extension and its likely the team will
move CJ in the off season and use the difference in salaries for CJ and GTJ on the cap to at least
have a chance at paying both Nurk/Roco.

Remember as Oden2 has said, Dame might be unhappy to see his friend CJ go, he'll have to accept it
for he signed a $196/4 max extension and even if he opted out after year 3, he'd be doing Portland
a favor, opting out of $54 Million at age 35.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#92 » by JasonStern » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:08 pm

If Neil brings a bought out Leonard back... :x

Love it, but not sure why Chicago wants to move Markkanen.
- Chauncey Billups
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#93 » by Blazers20 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:18 pm

I’ve read Bulls don’t believe he’s a max player.

Another option is John Collins (Z.Collins-GTJ for J.Collins). Hawks also do not want to max out J.Collins.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#94 » by Epicurus » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:31 pm

JasonStern wrote:If Neil brings a bought out Leonard back... :x

Love it, but not sure why Chicago wants to move Markkanen.
Even with Nurk's return, the Blazers will be down 2 7fters. Even if Giles ever gets over a bad calf, down one. Leonard could actually help, if much cheaper. Good defensive rebounder, good screener, and good touch. Yes, I am fully aware of his faults.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#95 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:41 pm

I like the Leonard fit more than Cousins and LMA, and I know that sounds crazy.

Cousins would absolutely be a 3rd string guy when Jusuf comes back, and I dont trust him for a second to accept that role.

LMA is too talented on offense to not be in the rotation, so once Nurkic came back he would be getting PF minutes. I think that would be a disaster as he has been at C nearly exclusively the last 3 years and even at that position his defense gets exposed by athletic guys.

Leonard gives you a few minutes until Nurkic is back then gladly accepts his role as towel waiver at the end of the bench. I also think it would be a unique moment to have Dame welcome him back despite his slur. Like a pardon from the Godfather. I think its insane that some people think a single low moment in a career of otherwise being a generous, likable goofball should define him as a player and as a man.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#96 » by JasonStern » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:32 am

The Eastern Oregon crowd outing themselves. :o

Even if you ignore the off-the-court issues, Meyers has played just 3 games this season, putting up 3.3ppg/2.3rpg with a PER of 6.6. To say you'd rather have that over Aldridge's 13.7ppg/4.5rpg with a PER of 15.0 over 21 games is not conductive of forming a winning basketball team.
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#97 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:17 am

Why are thinking about Meyers for he's only played three games this season and is injured. We're not trying
to corner the market on injured 7 foot guys are we?
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#98 » by d-train » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:45 am

Leonard is a big that can shoot and pass a little. He is a big body, but he doesn't defend the basket well, which is our weakness without Collins and Nurk.

Notice Kanter gets few if any 4th quarter minutes, even as the only big man on the team. The reason is Stotts wants defenders that can defend against penetration into the paint. He would rather give up the size and rebounding to have 2 or 3 of RoCo, Melo, DJJ, Hood, or Little. They don't have the size to contest shot's at the rim, but at least they have quickness to attempt to cut-off the penetration. This is where we miss Collins.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#99 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:06 pm

Come one man. I am not saying there shouldnt be penalties and reconciliation. But a single word destroying an entire life is just insane. Call me old school but one incidence of one slur isnt evidence enough that the person in question is irredeemable. In a time where criminal rehabilitation is so in vogue its hilarious to me that a word can be seen as more unforgivable than a literal, physical crime. IDK. I just dont get it. You need to be given the chance to come back a better person.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#100 » by Waynearchetype » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:58 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Come one man. I am not saying there shouldnt be penalties and reconciliation. But a single word destroying an entire life is just insane. Call me old school but one incidence of one slur isnt evidence enough that the person in question is irredeemable. In a time where criminal rehabilitation is so in vogue its hilarious to me that a word can be seen as more unforgivable than a literal, physical crime. IDK. I just dont get it. You need to be given the chance to come back a better person.

Destroying a life is extremely hyperbolic. He isn't getting sent to jail or anything and has a comfortable leg up on 99% of americans as far as money goes. Rehabilitation doesn't mean no consequence for your actions either, and in this case the consequence is just losing your job which happens to a ton of americans for far less.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers