ImageImage

Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Re: Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ 

Post#181 » by GEE » Sun May 9, 2021 1:30 am

d-train wrote:DJJ is going to opt out because he will make more money. Whether he stays with Blazers or not, he will make more money by opting out.

If GTJ is Wes 2.0, then Powell is Klay 2.0. Thankfully, neither is going to replace CJ. We improved our team by trading GTJ for Powell. We aren't going to diminish our team by trading CJ for a lesser player. Our guards are not too small. Our frontcourt has potential to take advantage of favorable matchups whether we go small or big. Powell and RoCo are our best forwards and they are comparatively small, but in most cases they win any size mismatch. We are big at center and in most cases win the size mismatch.

If we lose Powell in free agency, it will be because Olshey decided against overpaying him. How is this letting GTJ go for nothing? It is more likely GTJ gets overpaid and he has made it clear he wants to get overpaid. Why would Olshey overpay GTJ and not overpay Powell? What is the logic behind we could lose Powell and would have been able to keep GTJ?

Just want to be clear, because I agree with you in many ways, others don't. First, I do think GTJ will look like a prime Wesley in the next year or two. He will likely be very close by the start of next season. I think it's a great player comparison.

But Powell is the better player right now and makes our team better today. Trading GTJ, in my view was more about cementing, the pairing of CJ with Dame, while getting a upgrade for this year's run. The decision on Hood, I believe would have been made at the end of the season anyway, with one of Hood or Jones Jr. moving on.

Where we really differ is with the lineup Stotts rolls out, and your belief that the current one is going to work against the better WC teams come playoff time. I simply don't. I feel that while only missing Collins currently, our projected starting PF, we are still playing unnecessarily small. To win, I would make every effort to have ROCO at his projected starting role of SF, because he is taking a near nightly physical beating playing at the 4. I think it should be next man up at PF, and that would be Melo, then Giles, then ROCO.

Powell vs. GTJ doesn't really matter to me as I think they are both grossly misused by Stotts. I would rarely ever, have either playing the SF, but would rather have way less Simons, and steadily rotate Dame, CJ and Powell for 95% of the PG & SG minutes.

I like the recent change in play I see with the increase in passing, cutting and defense.... but I still have real issue with the lineup. Yes, we have won some games recently, but mostly against banged up teams. Come playoffs, Melo starting PF would be the best option IMO, with ROCO/Jones Jr. at the 3.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#182 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 9, 2021 2:03 am

Three guard lineups has been tried by better teams before for Mike D'Antoni's teams played small ball in
Phoenix and of course in Houston. The Phoenix Suns over the years have played different versions of small
ball for seemingly 30 years. No team has won a championship playing small ball for in a 7 game series and
whoever the opposition is will know how to shut down Dame.

In order to make the small ball lineup work, Portland would need a second big to help Nurk protect the
basket.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#183 » by Matt800 » Sun May 9, 2021 7:16 am

Norm2953 wrote:Three guard lineups has been tried by better teams before for Mike D'Antoni's teams played small ball in
Phoenix and of course in Houston. The Phoenix Suns over the years have played different versions of small
ball for seemingly 30 years. No team has won a championship playing small ball for in a 7 game series and

In order to make the small ball lineup work, Portland would need a second big to help Nurk protect the
basket.

The Mavericks won a championship with Kidd, Terry, and Barea getting heavy minutes. And they are smaller than Portland's guards.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#184 » by Wizenheimer » Mon May 10, 2021 4:48 am

Matt800 wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Three guard lineups has been tried by better teams before for Mike D'Antoni's teams played small ball in

basket.

The Mavericks won a championship with Kidd, Terry, and Barea getting heavy minutes. And they are smaller than Portland's guards.

only one of them started, not all 3, and two were PG's. And none played as a SF. It as also a decade ago
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#185 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:07 am

That Mavs team had an elite big in Dirk and solid defensive core of players.

I continue to be fascinated how far down the depth chart DJJ has fallen.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#186 » by Matt800 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:04 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Matt800 wrote:

basket.

only one of them started, not all 3, and two were PG's. And none played as a SF. It as also a decade ago

Yeah I don't remember the details but they definitely played 3 guard lineups. And Barea started with Kidd in 3 games in the playoffs.

I think they also had that luxury because Kidd was a bigger PG and they had bigger guys like Stevenson that they could play. Stevenson actually started in 18 of their 21 playoff games which gave them a fairly physical and good sized guard lineup. They had a lot of success using Barea, and Terry, but probably at least in part because they could play bigger if they needed to.

So I think the sentiment remains that Portland would be better with a more balanced roster. Like switching CJ for Middleton is probably a lot better. But who knows, we'll see what happens in the playoffs soon enough.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#187 » by d-train » Mon May 10, 2021 6:10 pm

NBA playoff games are won by mismatches. The winning team has the best mismatches. Lakers have the best 2 mismatches. LeBron does a great job exploiting his mismatch and getting his teammates involved. Blazers don't have the 1 great mismatch that Lakers, Nuggets, and Clippers have. Blazers have to do it with combinations and by finding and utilizing secondary mismatches.

The 3 guard lineup is key to Blazers having multiple secondary mismatches. The guard label means nothing, the combo guard skillset is the key. Especially, combo guards that can get to the basket like Lillard and Powell. Then, there is the mismatches created by Nurk's size in the post and his skill in the high pick-n-rolls.

The biggest challenge for Blazers is the lack of simplicity of having just 1 or 2 great mismatches. Blazers need a leader to manage the game. The 3rd and 4th options and the combinations, add complexity that requires perfect execution. Execution that starts with Lillard not being flummoxed by traps.

Several things have to fall into place for Blazers to succeed. It's harder for 5 guys to be in sync when 4 of them could be called upon to spearhead the attack, rather than just 1 or 2 guys. Nothing is simpler than give the ball to LeBron and everyone stand on the right spot. Blazers need 5 guys reading the court, each other's minds, and perfect synchronized execution. More than likely, the whole thing just falls apart in a maze of miscommunication. Simple is better in basketball, but Blazers don't have simple on the menu.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#188 » by GEE » Mon May 10, 2021 7:42 pm

Again, I like Stotts' recent change in offense, but it still begins or ends with Dame and CJ, and whether or not they can keep the ball moving, getting others involved in the offense.

What to do at the SF, and Stotts' decision to go small, still remains purely optional, and IMO the choice of playing good defense against the playoff teams, or not. Having ROCO at the 3 and Melo at 4, IMO, will give us the best SF/PF rotation in the playoffs, and it also has the added benefit of breaking up the heavy dose of Kanter and Melo playing together. The offensive drop is minimal, and worth the likely improved defense.

I don't hate Stotts, and I really don't think he's a bad coach... just flawed in his love for small ball, which won't work from a defensive standpoint in the playoffs. Continue to go with it, and we will get destroyed in the playoffs. Play 2 guards, 2 forwards with a C, and rotate Powell, Jones Jr. and Kanter in for CJ, Melo, and Nurkic early on. Keep legs fresh, with a possible sprinke of that 3rd string when you can or need to.

Could have a real shot at the WCF, if we rolled with this instead.
Starters: Dame / CJ / ROCO / Melo / Nurkic
Bench: Powell / Jones Jr. / Kanter
5% of: Simons / Little / Giles

Note: I think an 8 man rotation is not a good idea against superior individually talented teams, and think those 3rd string guys listed can and should be getting spot minutes, especially if someone is having an off night. All 3 have proven able and dependable IMO, and I would use every weapon I have available.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#189 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon May 10, 2021 8:37 pm

What's done is done, but one thing I would like to say is that I wish GTJ could have played in front of fans a few more times. He brings such a great energy that I think our fans would feed off. Anyways I'm sure he will get a good ovation next time he is in the Moda center, even if its in the wrong colors.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,856

Post#190 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue May 11, 2021 5:29 am

What are you first impressions of Norm?
Seems like his shots been off since being traded based on the shooting splits.
I think he'll step up big time for you guys in the playoffs.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#191 » by monopoman » Tue May 11, 2021 7:29 am

I love his energy and he is more effective with the starting 5 than GT Jr. was, if this team insists on keeping Lillard+CJ I like what Powell brings.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#192 » by SaveTheHens » Tue May 11, 2021 11:03 am

Hows Norm been in the clutch? One thing with the Raps injuries is hed throw up big numbers but miss some shots late in game. With Dame around his role is much simpler in the clutch id guess but has he been good/bad/okay? Ive liked what ive seen from Gary in the clutch so far and hope we sign him.
I think Blazers decisions on Powell will be consolidated during the playoffs. Hes had some series turning performances before (defensively and offensively), hope to see him help yall get at least to the second round,gl!
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#193 » by Wizenheimer » Tue May 11, 2021 4:42 pm

I think Powell has been good but not great so far. He hasn't shot well from three, at all, but he gets to the FT line at twice the rate of CJ so he actually has better shooting efficiency. I do think he has struggled at times carving out his role in the ball-dominant offense of Dame/CJ, with the added ball-dominance of Melo thrown in. Portland probably pounds the ball in iso more than any other team in the league

when he was on the way to Portland, his defense was being overrated, but that normal hype for a new player. He hasn't been much of a defensive liability as a dwarf SF, but the playoffs are a different situation, and there may be team that exploit the size differential at SF. I'm thinking particularly about the Clippers, but they'd be a nightmare matchup for Portland all over the floor
d-train
RealGM

Post#194 » by d-train » Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Great defense is scoring 1 point more than the opponent. Lousy defense is scoring 1 point fewer.
d-train
RealGM

Post#195 » by d-train » Tue May 11, 2021 6:12 pm

Our dwarf PF's held Anthony Davis, the best and biggest PF, to -11. Not bad work for dwarf's.
d-train
RealGM

Post#196 » by d-train » Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 pm

DeRozan, as good as any NBA SF at scoring in the post, was -9 against our dwarf SF. Tatum and Brown were -15 and -13 against our dwarfs. MPJ and Gordon were only +2 each against the dwarfs in a game Lillard and Nurk shot 12-34 and Blazers lost.

The performance of the dwarfs has been good and will get better now that Nurkic has been contributing as expected. Nurkic only started playing well in the recent Nuggets game and he has been good since.

The dwarfs should excel even more in the playoffs when teams are more locked into matchup advantages.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#197 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue May 11, 2021 11:02 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:What are you first impressions of Norm?

I like the guy. He is a more complete player. It would be nice to find out what type of player Trent Jr will be in 5 years, but the Blazers don't have that much time. Powell helps them a whole lot more now than Trent would. That's not to take anything away from Trent Jr cuz I liked the kid, but he's still young and raw. He's got a lot of his game still to develop, whereas Powell already developed those parts of his game. This was a good win-now trade for the Blazers and a good long-term trade for the Raptors.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#198 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue May 11, 2021 11:44 pm

Norm is strong and uses it on D. He's strong and athletic and takes it to the hoop like he means it. He's a starting SG who is switchable.
CJ plays small, doesn't seek and draw contact, and sucks the air out of the ball given the Blazers ISO ball. In a different offense, he may get much easier looks. Unlike plenty of scorers in the NBA (even shooters), CJ is able to get his own shot given time.

CJ has value on O for plenty of teams. Norm is a better fit for the Blazers.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#199 » by monopoman » Wed May 12, 2021 2:57 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:What are you first impressions of Norm?

I like the guy. He is a more complete player. It would be nice to find out what type of player Trent Jr will be in 5 years, but the Blazers don't have that much time. Powell helps them a whole lot more now than Trent would. That's not to take anything away from Trent Jr cuz I liked the kid, but he's still young and raw. He's got a lot of his game still to develop, whereas Powell already developed those parts of his game. This was a good win-now trade for the Blazers and a good long-term trade for the Raptors.

Yep, I am more than fine with throwing away a future of GT Jr. to win now, we owe Lillard making every move possible to try to win a championship here.

It would be a big deal for the fans and Lillard.

Now I don't think Powell for Trent puts us into the true competitor category but it get's us closer.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#200 » by Case2012 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:49 am

GTJ is way more clutch and has a killer mentality, Norm was the difference in April losing all those close games because he lacks the mentality of GTJ. This was a mistake and we’ll see this in the PO’s.
Instagram: @casetwelve

Return to Portland Trail Blazers