Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Re: Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ 

Post#221 » by Wickzki » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:41 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Wickzki wrote:
d-train wrote:There should be a special club for people that believe Hillary Clinton is going to jail and Blazers have any interest in trading CJ.

I honestly believe that IF Dame stays that this is the time that he would acknowledge that things need to change (he's already said) and that that includes CJ (you'd never say that publicly).

If we're to keep Powell then he effectively makes CJ expendable.

Now is the time.

And if not, you're right.

I wonder what the odds are we retain powell at this point. i’d say it’s lower than 50 percent at this point

1/4 to 1/3 for sure.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 310

Post#222 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:02 pm

Wickzki wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
Wickzki wrote:
I honestly believe that IF Dame stays that this is the time that he would acknowledge that things need to change (he's already said) and that that includes CJ (you'd never say that publicly).

Now is the time.

I wonder what the odds are we retain powell at this point. i’d say it’s lower than 50 percent at this point

1/4 to 1/3 for sure.

I’ll go opposite. 80% chance (minimum) he stays. It won’t be the money as a concern for Portland.
If Powell wants to go to a team that has the $$$ and roster, coach, city or whatever his priority list is, then he goes.
Gone for nothing? Not an option. When Olshey doesn’t want to keep a guy, he’s gone. Not seeing that with Powell. He spends on his own guys as needed. He’ll jettison those at the end of the bench to not pay tax and get a cut of tax money. Actual assets who fit the team are kept.

Lillard is the lynchpin … a bit less on the next coach than improving the roster. I expect a CJ trade. Last summer, CJ was recovering from his “broken back” and the hope of a healthy team contending was still present. Less so now.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#223 » by Norm2953 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:15 pm

Powell's return rests on whether an open backcourt job is there for him. He's not coming back if
he has to matchup with those big front courts which seem dominant in the west for he'll get paid
no matter who he signs with but his preference should be to play with a top 10 player in the
league as opposed to NYC or most teams with cap space with no such player.

All is not lost if does leave for Portland should be able to get a large TPE out of it which helps the
team signing him as well since they have his bird rights.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#224 » by d-train » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:39 pm

Wickzki wrote:
d-train wrote:There should be a special club for people that believe Hillary Clinton is going to jail and Blazers have any interest in trading CJ.

Now is the time.

The proof that I'm right is the number of years he's been on the team and the 2 big contracts the team gave him, one not long ago. He can be traded tomorrow if a team offers a tremendous deal. Olshey isn't stupid, he not married to any player. It's not realistic to believe another team would offer enough to get a deal done. It would require a special circumstances similar to what led to the GTJ trade. The caphold provision of the CBA provided Raptors incentive to offer us a better player.
d-train
RealGM

Post#225 » by d-train » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:49 pm

Wickzki wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
Wickzki wrote:

Now is the time.

1/4 to 1/3 for sure.

Powell would be a good poker player. I have no reading on weather Powell is one of those people that have a place they want to play basketball. Absent a preferred place, there is only opportunity. Here is the best opportunity to get the most money, most likely.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#226 » by GEE » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:48 pm

Did Powell play well enough to be made a priority?
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#227 » by PDXKnight » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:15 pm

GEE wrote:Did Powell play well enough to be made a priority?

May not matter whether he did or not if we keep cj. Clearly none of these 3 guards are fit to play major minutes at the 3 from a defensive standpoint.
d-train
RealGM

Post#228 » by d-train » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:18 pm

GEE wrote:Did Powell play well enough to be made a priority?

Yes, but his priority comes after Blazers decide what is the direction of the team. If they continue in the direction started 2016 and reaffirmed 2019, re-signing Powell will be top priority. The direction of the team is reevaluated every year.

Also, there is what Powell wants. Does this fit in with what Blazers want?
d-train
RealGM

Post#229 » by d-train » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:50 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Powell's return rests on whether an open backcourt job is there for him. He's not coming back if
he has to matchup with those big front courts which seem dominant in the west for he'll get paid
no matter who he signs with but his preference should be to play with a top 10 player in the
league as opposed to NYC or most teams with cap space with no such player.

All is not lost if does leave for Portland should be able to get a large TPE out of it which helps the
team signing him as well since they have his bird rights.

It would be difficult, maybe impossible, to get a TPE unless a team with cap room agrees to sign him with cap room, then Blazers and that team decide on a deal that helps both teams. It would require a mountain of unlikely circumstances to lineup. Don't expect a S&T, I don't believe Blazers want to be hard capped with Lillard's big contract.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,891

Post#230 » by JasonStern » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:16 pm

Oden2 wrote:I wonder what the odds are we retain powell at this point. i’d say it’s lower than 50 percent at this point

Losing Powell for nothing would effectively mean losing GTJ for nothing. A team like Portland cannot really afford to lose those kind of assets. The salary is available if Collins' QO isn't picked up and if Jones is either moved for cap space, moved for a cheaper player, or is stretched.

But, Powell is an unrestricted free agent. The Blazers don't have final say, and the post-playoff drama and a coaching change likely isn't helping things.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers