ImageImage

Game 51: Portland vs Utah

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Re: Game 51: Portland vs Utah 

Post#21 » by PDXKnight » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:22 am

Blazinaway wrote:3rd toughest schedule remaining. This team could easily miss the playoffs, just ugly again

very unlikely we miss a shot at the playoffs due to the new format that allows 9-10 a shot.

That being said this small ball lineup is looking kinda meh, starting to think just cutting ties with powell is the wise route if he commands a big contract. Feels as if we need to go all in or blow it up or in other words story of the blazers for the last 5 years
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,881

Post#22 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:26 pm

Very dissapointed in this team. We have lost the past 3 game against teams that are good. We cant do that.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#23 » by Epicurus » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:22 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Very dissapointed in this team. We have lost the past 3 game against teams that are good. We cant do that.
Another way of saying this----I am very disappointed in this team. We failed to pull off upsets against three teams better than us. We need more upsets.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#24 » by Epicurus » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:37 pm

Twas an even contest until the 5:43 mark of the third quarter. Then until 00;30 the Jazz went on a 21-2 run. That was the game. What happened? 1-8 shooting v. 5-9 shooting; no offensive rebounds of the 7 misses v. 2 offensive rebounds of the four misses; 2 live ball turnovers (thanks, Damion) v. no turnovers; 0 free throws attempted v. 10 makes of the same number of attempts; 6 fouls v. no fouls.

How does one team foul six times in 5 minutes and the other holding an opponent to 2 points doesn't foul at all? Since this started when Nurk went to the bench, what happened to Kanter's board work? What caused lillard to get so careless in a 5minute stint? Did the Jazz do something to make the Blazer shooting during this time period so bad or did the shooters get just miss? Although 6 different lineups appeared in the time span for the Blazers, why weren't any of them minimumly effective? Did these lineups have constants (such as Kanter andANthony) which may offer some explanation particularly re. fouling and lack of stops?
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#25 » by PDXKnight » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:46 pm

Epicurus wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Very dissapointed in this team. We have lost the past 3 game against teams that are good. We cant do that.
Another way of saying this----I am very disappointed in this team. We failed to pull off upsets against three teams better than us. We need more upsets.

Fair statement i suppose. But the regular season isn’t like the playoffs, a team with some playoff gumption or at least a team that isn’t a 7 or an 8 seed should take at least 1 in 3 of these games. I don’t think this is an unreasonable expectation for a blazers team that has loads of playoff experience and a decent amount of talent. Certainly we aren’t contenders and it’s stretches like this that split the contenders from the pretenders
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#26 » by Epicurus » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:34 pm

Yes, for a slightly above average overall talent team does need occasional upsets of the considerably more overall talented teams to have a successful season. Yet I am not sure that upsets should be expected, as opposed to hoped for.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#27 » by monopoman » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:11 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Epicurus wrote:

Fair statement i suppose. But the regular season isn’t like the playoffs, a team with some playoff gumption or at least a team that isn’t a 7 or an 8 seed should take at least 1 in 3 of these games. I don’t think this is an unreasonable expectation for a blazers team that has loads of playoff experience and a decent amount of talent. Certainly we aren’t contenders and it’s stretches like this that split the contenders from the pretenders

I mean we also beat the Thunder 2 years ago and if you go by that regular season record they beat us 4-0.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#28 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:25 am

monopoman wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
Epicurus wrote:Another way of saying this----I am very disappointed in this team. We failed to pull off upsets against three teams better than us. We need more upsets.

I mean we also beat the Thunder 2 years ago and if you go by that regular season record they beat us 4-0.

two years ago, Portland was better than Denver, Utah, and Phoenix. Not anymore...they have lapped the Blazers

fortunately, for the fans of those teams, they don't have a GM who massages his own ego at the expense of the team; and they don't have a coach who spells defense without a d
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#29 » by Epicurus » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:53 am

I would think that a two time Academic All-American could spell such a simple word. Oh, and the Blazers have lapped the Rockets and the Warriors and increased the positive distance between themselves and the Thunder, Timberwolves, and Spurs. Nice try, just once again not balanced.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#30 » by monopoman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:51 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
monopoman wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

two years ago, Portland was better than Denver, Utah, and Phoenix. Not anymore...they have lapped the Blazers

fortunately, for the fans of those teams, they don't have a GM who massages his own ego at the expense of the team; and they don't have a coach who spells defense without a d

My point was a good chunk on here thought the Blazers were going to get rolled by the Thunder before that series began. A good chunk thought we should lose the final game of the season to fall in the standings and face the Jazz instead.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#31 » by Norm2953 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:55 am

Oden2 wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:3rd toughest schedule remaining. This team could easily miss the playoffs, just ugly again

very unlikely we miss a shot at the playoffs due to the new format that allows 9-10 a shot.

That being said this small ball lineup is looking kinda meh, starting to think just cutting ties with powell is the wise route if he commands a big contract. Feels as if we need to go all in or blow it up or in other words story of the blazers for the last 5 years

We'll make the playoffs but are going to get creamed by our opponent who can go out at us with length and challenge
Dame to beat them from 35 feet in a best of 7 series. I'd like to see Stotts go with Dame/Powell in our back court and
play DJJ/Roco and hopefully Nurk up front. Its our best defensive team and allow us to move CJ into a sixth man role
for he can shoot all he wants off the bench, spelling either Dame/Powell

Return to Portland Trail Blazers