ImageImage

Game 60 Portland vs Memphis 1:00pm SNW

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Re: Game 60 Portland vs Memphis 1:00pm SNW 

Post#21 » by whatchaknow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:38 pm

d-train wrote:This Blazers team is a class group of competitors. Too bad so many Blazers fans are unable to appreciate it.

No offense but it feels like you’re watching a different game. Memphis came in and just took it to Portland and the blazers had no response. I mean they’re one of the worst defensive teams in the history of the nba and defense is all about effort and competing. I mean you can see what you want but why should we as fans watch what we’re watching and have to “appreciate it”? No sense of urgency and this team plays incredibly selfish, I refuse to appreciate that kind of basketball personally
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#22 » by JasonStern » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:41 pm

The big advantage to long-term contracts is that you don't have to worry about roster overhauls.

The big disadvantage to long-term contracts is that if everyone is paid guaranteed money, there's no downside to half-assery.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#23 » by Case2012 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:43 pm

I don’t care what the numbers say but that was a bad trade. Combined with CJ and Nurk returning, it’s destroyed the team chemistry and Dame does NOT look happy. The whole front office needs to go including the coaching staff. Everyone not name Lillard should be on the table, in fact that’s the only player I want back beside Enes. Blow this up, future picks young players vets whatever you need, get a gm that can build a a big 3.
Instagram: @casetwelve
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#24 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:44 pm

Salao to use the Spanish word used by Hemingway in the first scene of " Old Man and the Sea."
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#25 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 pm

JasonStern wrote:The big advantage to long-term contracts is that you don't have to worry about roster overhauls.

The big disadvantage to long-term contracts is that if everyone is paid guaranteed money, there's no downside to half-assery.
The Blazers have the worst of both words the last two year with large term high contracts and low roster continuity.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#26 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 pm

"defense is all about effort and competing." False, talent is needed. Not every player has it. Indeed few are chosen for only their defensive talent. The principal part of defensive talent is being able to anticipate the offensive player's move. Effort is necessary to activate the talent, but not instead of it.
whatchaknow
Analyst

Post#27 » by whatchaknow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 pm

Case2012 wrote:I don’t care what the numbers say but that was a bad trade. Combined with CJ and Nurk returning, it’s destroyed the team chemistry and Dame does NOT look happy. The whole front office needs to go including the coaching staff. Everyone not name Lillard should be on the table, in fact that’s the only player I want back beside Enes. Blow this up, future picks young players vets whatever you need, get a gm that can build a a big 3.

I would entertain lillard offers personally. This team has maxed out with him as the best player. There’s also no path to get another player of his caliber, they just don’t have the assets to put a competitive deal out there. I know it’s nice being competitive every year but they’ve hit a wall and this is gonna get uglier before it gets pretty imo. It’s just tough to watch right now and there needs to be some serious self evaluation by the players and some serious roster evaluation by management. Nobody is free of criticism and this team is in a free fall
whatchaknow
Analyst

Post#28 » by whatchaknow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:54 pm

Epicurus wrote:"defense is all about effort and competing." False, talent is needed. Not every player has it. Indeed few are chosen for only their defensive talent. The principal part of defensive talent is being able to anticipate the offensive player's move. Effort is necessary to activate the talent, but not instead of it.

Sorry but no nba team has such a lack of talent they should give up over 120 point to the same team in back to back games. Free runs at the rim, straight line drives, and horrendous closeouts are all about effort and our 3 guards don’t show enough of it. Don’t even get me started on the transition defense when you don’t even have guys crashing the boards, it’s extremely embarrassing as a fan to watch the same things over and over again
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#29 » by JasonStern » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:59 pm

whatchaknow wrote:I would entertain lillard offers personally.

That's just ignorant. Dame is arguably the GOAT Blazer. A small market team like OKC was able to use their assets to acquire PG13. The Nets acquired Harden for scraps. Butler was there for the taking. The Blazers had Aldridge. There's no reason why other than management that Portland couldn't have landed a legit second all-star to pair with Dame. Unless you can get some killer return for trading Dame and then trust Olshey to somehow construct a better team, a rebuild without replacing management is a fool's errand.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#30 » by Sinobas » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:59 pm

We went out and got all these highly rated defenders, Covington, Jones, Powell...and the defense still sucks.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#31 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:03 pm

whatchaknow wrote:
Epicurus wrote:"defense is all about effort and competing." False, talent is needed. Not every player has it. Indeed few are chosen for only their defensive talent. The principal part of defensive talent is being able to anticipate the offensive player's move. Effort is necessary to activate the talent, but not instead of it.

Sorry but no nba team has such a lack of talent they should give up over 120 point to the same team in back to back games. Free runs at the rim, straight line drives, and horrendous closeouts are all about effort and our 3 guards don’t show enough of it. Don’t even get me started on the transition defense when you don’t even have guys crashing the boards, it’s extremely embarrassing as a fan to watch the same things over and over again
Sorry right back, some players simply do not have defensive talent and no amount of effort matters regarding those players getting stops, challenging passing lanes, etc. Overall all NBA players are given contracts based upon their offensive contributions and not their defensive ones, especially if lacking useful offensive talents.

Everything you mention above is prevent by those who have good anticipation and will be major challenges to those who so lack.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,830

Post#32 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:04 pm

Not a good loss and I think we're going to see the ends of the Stotts era in the summer, which will be the only silver-lining of these losses.
Epicurus
RealGM

Post#33 » by Epicurus » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:06 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:Not a good loss and I think we're going to see the ends of the Stotts era in the summer, which will be the only silver-lining of these losses.
Yes, it's been such a horrible era, hasn't it? BTW, I don't think you will need to wait for summer, but I suspect before the team leaves on the road trip. Time for Oshey to guard his butt for two straight years of roster instability and incompatibility.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#34 » by d-train » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:25 pm

All the above, plus playing as a cohesive unit. NBA defense is mostly team defense. You need a regular group of players that learn each other.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,830

Post#35 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:28 pm

Epicurus wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:Not a good loss and I think we're going to see the ends of the Stotts era in the summer, which will be the only silver-lining of these losses.
Yes, it's been such a horrible era, hasn't it? BTW, I don't think you will need to wait for summer, but I suspect before the team leaves on the road trip. Time for Oshey to guard his butt for two straight years of roster instability and incompatibility.

I didn't say it was a horrible or terrible era at all. I think he's run his course and he doesn't adapt well, part due to him and part due to Olshey. But I'm honestly not interested in talking about Stotts with you because over the time you've been here you've shown an unwillingly to critique him at all to my recollection. It's just not an engaging debate or proves fruitful.
d-train
RealGM

Post#36 » by d-train » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:29 pm

Epicurus wrote:

I expect a good finish to this season and Stotts will be back. Certainly, Olshey will be back.
d-train
RealGM

Post#37 » by d-train » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:32 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Epicurus wrote:

I didn't say it was a horrible or terrible era at all. I think he's run his course and he doesn't adapt well, part due to him and part due to Olshey. But I'm honestly not interested in talking about Stotts with you because over the time you've been here you've shown an unwillingly to critique him at all to my recollection. It's just not an engaging debate or proves fruitful.

Wouldn't this make him the perfect person to debate?
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#38 » by Blazinaway » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:33 pm

and perhaps keep out pick and maybe even Olshey and CJ get run out of town as well, this team is done, can't stand watch this crap product
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#39 » by Blazinaway » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:35 pm

d-train wrote:
Epicurus wrote:

I expect a good finish to this season and Stotts will be back. Certainly, Olshey will be back.

you really want Stotts back? you enjoy watching the type of basketball this teams plays and horrid defense? you can have it - are you on the team's payroll or a relative of Terry?
d-train
RealGM

Post#40 » by d-train » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:39 pm

Sinobas wrote:We went out and got all these highly rated defenders, Covington, Jones, Powell...and the defense still sucks.

CJ and Lillard missed 30 shots. That's 30 chances for opponent to catch Blazers with an unbalanced floor and score an easy basket against no defense. If CJ and Lillard make those shots, then suddenly the defense is great.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers