ImageImage

If Portland blows it up...

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: If Portland blows it up... 

Post#161 » by d-train » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Kanter, OTOH, is a very useful NBA player, today.
d-train
RealGM

Post#162 » by d-train » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:04 pm

It might be fun to pick a former Blazer that would be better in today's NBA. I like Jerome Kersey. A 6'7" PF that can run PG's out of the gym and out rebound 7 footers. I also like Geoff Petrie. A 6'5" backcourt stiff that couldn't defend his shadow, but could make 3-pointers like they were wide open layups.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#163 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:18 pm

My version of the next Joel Pryzbilla is the Mason Plumlee's of the world. Useful guy who can play 20
minutes/game who is a better overall more rounded player than Enes Kanter. Whoever Portland goes
with moving forward as their starting big, they will need a dependable big to play behind him for
neither Nurk/Collins can really be counted upon to play in 80% in regular season games given their
injuries
d-train
RealGM

Post#164 » by d-train » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:29 pm

Plumlee, unlike PrissyBella, is a real basketball player. He can handle and pass better than most NBA players, and if you want to run a big off the court, Plumlee is your man. PrissyBella is more like if you want a player who's only skill is being tall. A lesser version of Mark Eaton, only after all the rules that benefitted Mark Eaton were changed.

Edit: Like Plumlee, Kanter is a real basketball player. His size, strength, touch, and footwork around the basket are better than most NBA players. Kanter can be beat by the most talented bigs, but he is out worked by nobody.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#165 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:14 pm

d-train wrote:Plumlee, unlike PrissyBella, is a real basketball player. He can handle and pass better than most NBA players, and if you want to run a big off the court, Plumlee is your man. PrissyBella is more like if you want a player who's only skill is being tall. A lesser version of Mark Eaton, only after all the rules that benefitted Mark Eaton were changed.

Edit: Like Plumlee, Kanter is a real basketball player. His size, strength, touch, and footwork around the basket are better than most NBA players. Kanter can be beat by the most talented bigs, but he is out worked by nobody.

Oh, you mean Prz. The guy who had bulked up early in his career, got a bit injured by his account, "slimmed" down where when he set a screen, teeth got rattled. A guy who blocked some shots at center (some centers still do that), improved his free throws from craptastic into the mid 60's with work, and started asking for the ball in the paint instead of quickly getting rid of it. Yeah, that guy would be great to have as a back-up center as he actually hustled and played D. Got seriously red@$$ at times. Good guy.
[I guess this is a player we disagree about.]
:D

Plumlee has a more "modern" game with passing. A back-up for the right price. Better than Kanter for this team.
d-train
RealGM

Post#166 » by d-train » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:27 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:
d-train wrote:Plumlee, unlike PrissyBella, is a real basketball player. He can handle and pass better than most NBA players, and if you want to run a big off the court, Plumlee is your man. PrissyBella is more like if you want a player who's only skill is being tall. A lesser version of Mark Eaton, only after all the rules that benefitted Mark Eaton were changed.

Oh, you mean Prz. The guy who had bulked up early in his career, got a bit injured by his account, "slimmed" down where when he set a screen, teeth got rattled. A guy who blocked some shots at center (some centers still do that), improved his free throws from craptastic into the mid 60's with work, and started asking for the ball in the paint instead of quickly getting rid of it. Yeah, that guy would be great to have as a back-up center as he actually hustled and played D. Got seriously red@$$ at times. Good guy.
[I guess this a player we disagree about.]
:D

Plumlee has a more "modern" game with passing. A back-up for the right price. Better than Kanter for this team.

Maybe a good guy, I would have no idea about that. He earned some respect from Nate. Something not given away, ask Channing. I'm talking about PrissyBella, the guy who tried to set a pick on Kobe, and got his teeth knocked out and his balls handed to him.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#167 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:40 pm

JP is 41 years old, just a solid journeyman player on those Blazer teams that waited year after
year for Greg Oden to get healthy. Plumlee like JP is another solid journeyman, who you know
will play in 90% of a teams games with a solid effort.

I was a season ticket holder in those years and remember all too well JP, who gave his all every
night on the court. I'd love to have 3-4 of these journeyman types on my roster for those are the
guys who will play in most of a team's games, playing all the different roles needed in support
of the superstars for a team to win.
d-train
RealGM

Post#168 » by d-train » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:55 pm

Unfortunately, Oden wasn't worth waiting for. When healthy, nobody wanted him. Similar to PrissyBella, who when 31, in his prime and out of his massive contract, nobody wanted him.

Edit: Kanter, who is a hardworking guy with useful basketball skills, is a fine player Blazers might consider bringing back.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#169 » by Sinobas » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:41 pm

d-train wrote:Unfortunately, Oden wasn't worth waiting for. When healthy, nobody wanted him. Similar to PrissyBella, who when 31, in his prime and out of his massive contract, nobody wanted him.

Edit: Kanter, who is a hardworking guy with useful basketball skills, is a fine player Blazers might consider bringing back.

Oden never really got "healthy" again. But when he was healthy, he was good. He was a better version of a healthy Andre Drummond.

Joel retired due to injuries as well, he had a bad knee injury then re-injured in in the shower. But he had a nice run for us, he had the top defensive rebounding percentage in the league a couple years, and was a good shot blocker.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#170 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:47 am

Nuggets got swept.. Wow we are very far away as a team
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#171 » by Matt800 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:58 am

Sinobas wrote:
d-train wrote:Unfortunately, Oden wasn't worth waiting for. When healthy, nobody wanted him. Similar to PrissyBella, who when 31, in his prime and out of his massive contract, nobody wanted him.

Oden never really got "healthy" again. But when he was healthy, he was good. He was a better version of a healthy Andre Drummond.

Joel retired due to injuries as well, he had a bad knee injury then re-injured in in the shower. But he had a nice run for us, he had the top defensive rebounding percentage in the league a couple years, and was a good shot blocker.

When was Oden healthy? He had major knee problems early in his career and never got to play healthy as far as I remember. He had brief times of playing and looked potentially dominant even when he was no where near close to at his best.

I also liked JP, he had moments of being pretty good like you said.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#172 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 am

Sinobas wrote:

Joel had six good seasons for Portland. Had the title of the best backup center in the league but
had to start a lot of games thanks to GO but checking up on his basketball reference page, I see in 2011, he
was a part of a deal that brought Gerald Wallace to Portland. His nickname in Portland was the Vanilla Gorilla.
hondaaccord
Bench Warmer
And1: 13

Post#173 » by hondaaccord » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Watching the Suns destroy the Nuggets is making me think - maybe Lillard is not the right solution at point guard and he should be paired with a big- pass first point guard, so he can concentrate on scoring.
OlFlashy wrote:Lebron would hurt derozan's development
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#174 » by JasonStern » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:12 pm

hondaaccord wrote:Watching the Suns destroy the Nuggets is making me think - maybe Lillard is not the right solution at point guard and he should be paired with a big- pass first point guard, so he can concentrate on scoring.

One time Dame played off the ball with Eric Maynor and it worked well so the Blazers stopped doing that.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#175 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:27 pm

hondaaccord wrote:Watching the Suns destroy the Nuggets is making me think - maybe Lillard is not the right solution at point guard and he should be paired with a big- pass first point guard, so he can concentrate on scoring.

The right solution? I think more about "only" solution though I get where you're going. Though the chatter had Lonzo Ball looking at NY or other big cities, his size, PG skills, defense, and improved shooting had me hoping for a trade at the last deadline ... knowing that wasn't happening. The idea sold on CJ was he and Dame 'taking turns' with whoever's hot in the guard rotation, but CJ just doesn't seem to switch-on being a distributor unless Lillard is actually out for a game. This many years in says his role with the Blazers is pretty much set ... scoring guard with some PG when he HAS to take that role.

That always leads me to a SF with ball skills who gets higher than average assists: a wish is Jimmy Butler (not bloody likely) ... or Demar DeRozan (a great fit on chemistry with Lillard and Powell). [It would be nice to know if Lillard has gotten intell on Becky Hammon from DDR or LMA or Patty. :D]

[The other guard whose name shall not be spoken ... Russell West***** The D is no worse than CJ -- I'd expect better -- with drive and dish, free throws, rebounds ... and unknown how the chemistry would work. No doubts about his desire to win and playing hard. Part of the thinking is who is reasonably available.]
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#176 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:09 pm

That's back to the player to fill the Nicolas Batum role in Portland. Interesting to see Nic play with
the Clippers for he signed a contract for $2.5 Million for one year and Portland spent their full MLE
on a guy (DJJ) who is not a shooter and a poor fit in the Stotts offense.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#177 » by Epicurus » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 pm

U mm, the difference btween the Blazes v Nuggets and the Sus v Nuggets was not offense, the offensive rating of both Nugget opponents was the same with an eye shadow of difference. No, the problem was defense.
d-train
RealGM

Post#178 » by d-train » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 pm

Epicurus wrote:
U mm, the difference btween the Blazes v Nuggets and the Sus v Nuggets was not offense, the offensive rating of both Nugget opponents was the same with an eye shadow of difference. No, the problem was defense.

The difference wasn't offense or defense. The difference was execution and maybe a better plan. Suns had a better plan to make things more difficult for Joker. Blazers beat Nuggets when they succeeded at making it more difficult for Joker. Maybe Suns did better at exploiting Nuggets bigger and slower forwards.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#179 » by Epicurus » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:48 pm

No, the clear difference was one team held the Nuggets down defensively and the other didn't. That is the what. I leave conjecture to the "how" to you.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#180 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:14 pm

Amazing to see how well CP3 and Booker fit together in Phoenix. It makes you wonder how well Dame
would fit with a defensive minded guard, unafraid to stick his face into his opponents face. In all his
time in Portland, Dame has had only one such player (two if you list Batum) in all his time in Portland
and that's Wesley Matthews.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers